2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    Baltimore had its primaries yesterday. For most offices, the primary is the end of the story so in many cases we know who won although for the Baltimore City mayor race it's too close to call until they count paper ballots.

This was our second election where everyone was sent a ballot. They interviewed all these folks in line at the polling places who admitted they had gotten ballots. Big long lines, no social distancing, some in masks, griping about not enough polling places. What the heck are people thinking????
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    Jean, I’m so glad you posted. You were on my mind the last couple of days wondering how you made out with the surgery. That’s wonderful that you’re not in pain. That’s nice that people are bringing in food to you. Using that first will make what you bought last longer so you won’t have to worry about going into a store. Don’t worry about gaining weight. You can deal with that later if it happens. When you’re up to it, you can use that foot pedal gadget you have to exercise your lower body as well as getting back to counting steps when you feel stronger.
  • Helene610
    Pam, you could always freeze some of the pasta sauce before you serve dinner. DH would only see the amount of sauce that’s in the dinner. I would be sure there’s a little extra for him or he might notice the difference. Let him finish up whatever extra you included in dinner. They say we eat with our eyes first so he’d probably be satisfied with what he sees. After serving a few dinners, you’d have enough sauce in the freezer for an ample meal.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Pam, you could always freeze some of the pasta sauce before you serve dinner. DH would only see the amount of sauce that’s in the dinner. I would be sure there’s a little extra for him or he might notice the difference. Let him finish up whatever extra you included in dinner. They say we eat with our eyes first so he’d probably be satisfied with what he sees. After serving a few dinners, you’d have enough sauce in the freezer for an ample meal.

Unfortunately, that wouldn’t work because he’s the one who cooks our spaghetti dinners! He would definitely notice if I tried to scoop out some for the freezer before we served ourselves.
  • mdubbs1
    I just realized I can't have spaghetti this weekend; things I need to use up (trying to keep on top of "use by" dates). But I'll hold onto the thoughts.

Not a lot new on TV this summer. I just watched the first episode of The Genetic Detective and found it fascinating. It basically is about the technology that caught the Garden State Killer and how it's being used since then. The "main" character, genetic genealogist CeCe Moore, we DNA nuts have seen before on Long Lost Family. Apparently since she was already using genetic genealogy to unite adoptees and birth parents, she was called on to get involved in using similar techniques for crime solving.

I'm giving World of Dance a second try. I'll see if I can get into it any more this time than before. Apparently there's no word at this time on what, if anything, is going to happen with So You Think You Can Dance. Nigel says worst case scenario is they may pit prior seasons against each other for audiences to vote (sounds a little reminiscent of what The Bachelor is going to do instead of its usual show - 'highlights' of prior seasons.)

On the treadmill I'm still watching My 600-lb Life. Even when it's boring, it's sort of motivating. I watch them grouse about how Dr. Now just doesn't understand them as they shovel food into their mouths, often on their beds (none of these people eats at a table.) That's another show that won't happen this year in its usual fashion. I understand they've already paused taping. I feel sorry for any participants who disrupted their lives to move to Dallas in hopes of weight loss surgery.

• mdubbs1
    edited June 2020
    Unlike the restaurants putting teddy bears at tables for social distancing, this is not for that reason but rather to entice folks back (aka marketing).

i0d529exw9rx.png
  • Helene610
    I watched the first two episodes of Genetic Detective. What she’s able to do with her research is amazing. I like that they include a statement at the end of what was the outcome of charges against the perpetrator.

I’ve been watching a lot of movies and that will continue. Several of the premium channels did free access for several weeks in May. I watched Little Fires Everywhere on Hulu. I’d read the book a couple of years ago. There were a couple of plot twists that I didn’t remember. It made me wish I had a copy of the book to refresh my memory. I thing some things were not in the book but I could be wrong. They worked even if they were not in the book.
  • mdubbs1
    I have to sign up for Hulu so I can see the movie version of Hamilton.

I really really hate my new cable remote. Searching for things - unless you know the exact name - is a PITA. You can't "browse" as easily as on old remote.
  • mdubbs1
    yqehdtbqyq5i.png
  • Helene610
    Is your new cable box voice enabled? Sometimes it’s easier to say what your looking for rather than using the guide. I must mumble because it sometimes it doesn’t understand my first command. I might say play such and such and it shows me a movie or show with the word pay in the title. Hulu usually offers a one week free trial. If there’s nothing else you want to watch on it, maybe you could time the trial for the Hamilton showing.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    I also watched the first two episodes of Genetic Detective and enjoyed them. I had not watched the other series you mentioned. I’m not usually very interested in true crime stories, but I did find this to be very interesting.

I had a manicure today then stopped at a grocery store for a few items. By that time I was tired of wearing a mask and ready to go home, but after I got home I realized I had forgotten to buy a birthday card for my friend that I’m meeting for lunch tomorrow. I have one I can use, but it really isn’t what I would have chosen for this particular friend. Oh well, I’m sure she won’t care but I was annoyed with myself for forgetting.
  • mdubbs1
    Is your new cable box voice enabled? Sometimes it’s easier to say what your looking for rather than using the guide. I must mumble because it sometimes it doesn’t understand my first command. I might say play such and such and it shows me a movie or show with the word pay in the title. Hulu usually offers a one week free trial. If there’s nothing else you want to watch on it, maybe you could time the trial for the Hamilton showing.

Yep! It's fine for some things but not for others. E.g. before I could save a list of searches. Now I guess I'd have to write them down. Also before I could search just the tv, separately from "on demand". Nice to know which is which since I can record on tv (plus it's free) whereas I can "watch now" if it's "on demand" but sometimes it's not free.

I'm thinking I'm going to want to watch Hamilton more than once. LOL! Hopefully at some point they'll sell a DVD or something.
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    I also watched the first two episodes of Genetic Detective and enjoyed them. I had not watched the other series you mentioned. I’m not usually very interested in true crime stories, but I did find this to be very interesting.

Long Lost Family is a show that helps adopted children or parents who gave up a child find the child or the parent and re-connect. They are really good at searching and I find it fascinating the various methods they use. It isn't always DNA. Sometimes it's just good detective work.
  • Helene610
    I donated blood today. I read in the newspapers that the hospital blood mobile would be at the library. I donated back in March and I got an email last week that I could donate again. You have to wait 56 days between donations to let the red cells build to full strength. The van was about a mile from the house so it was a lot more convenient. I’ve mentioned having white coat syndrome and having doctors tell me I have high blood pressure. I don’t and a second reading usually comes out in the 130s. I was feeling pretty relaxed today and my reading was 117/68. I really felt validated by those numbers.
  • mdubbs1
    I donated blood today. I read in the newspapers that the hospital blood mobile would be at the library. I donated back in March and I got an email last week that I could donate again. You have to wait 56 days between donations to let the red cells build to full strength. The van was about a mile from the house so it was a lot more convenient. I’ve mentioned having white coat syndrome and having doctors tell me I have high blood pressure. I don’t and a second reading usually comes out in the 130s. I was feeling pretty relaxed today and my reading was 117/68. I really felt validated by those numbers.

Those are great numbers! Mine aren't that great after losing all this weight AND being on two medications!
  • mdubbs1
    edited June 2020
    .8vrry2ctnuoj.png
  • mdubbs1
    jejhseqpofxv.png
  • mdubbs1
    hvku0za8jndp.png
  • mdubbs1
    5tceej9keedk.png
  • Helene610
    Love the cat memes. My favorite of our 3 cats was a tiger. That’s her photo you see in my posts. She was the most independent and feisty of the bunch; a quality I admire.