2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    xjsdor0s08h9.png
  • mdubbs1
    Firework sales are legal in Maryland (I was surprised to discover when we moved here). We have this weird thing. "Someone" moves these self-contained yellow metal boxes into parking lots which will open up as we go toward July 4th and voila - fireworks sales. Then after the 4th they are hauled off again. To somewhere. Today I saw one so apparently the pandemic is not going to stop this quaint "custom".
  • mdubbs1
    mnhgdbjicpfx.png
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    Cuddling up in the cone of shame is so sweet. I watched Ann Curry’s show, Chasing the Cure last summer. She and a panel of doctors worked on getting diagnosed for extremely rare diseases. Many patients had been to so many doctors and couldn’t even find a name for what they had. It was so touching to see them get answers and plot out a course of treatment. The doctors donated their services as well. I don’t think it got renewed for a second season though. It was on TNT. If you run out of things to watch, see if you can find it online.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene - I'll look for that. I need to move aside a few boxes and dig through my library of DVDs to see what I may not have watched or what might be worth a second (or third) look.

One thing I hate about this new cable remote is you can't separately search free tv listings and the "on demand" library section.
  • Helene610
    There are a couple of free streaming services I’ve been watching. They are Tubi and ImbdTV. They have a mix of movies and older TV shows. I’ve been watching Drop Dead Diva and I see Lost is on there. You can use the voice remote to pull them up. Or if your remote has a setting for apps, they’d be in there.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Cuddling up in the cone of shame is so sweet. I watched Ann Curry’s show, Chasing the Cure last summer. She and a panel of doctors worked on getting diagnosed for extremely rare diseases. Many patients had been to so many doctors and couldn’t even find a name for what they had. It was so touching to see them get answers and plot out a course of treatment. The doctors donated their services as well. I don’t think it got renewed for a second season though. It was on TNT. If you run out of things to watch, see if you can find it online.

I started watching the first episode of that last night. Do you happen to remember if they go back later and do updates on the people? During the first show it seems to be a quick 15 minute checking with internet suggestions (weird) and getting an update from their panel of doctors. Then they try to get permission from the patient for some of the tests suggested if they haven't already been performed. But at that point there's only the experts best guess that they've correctly identified the problem and no clue whether their suggested treatments will help. It would be nice to know if they did.
  • Helene610
    Yes, in subsequent episodes, they go back to some of the patients and update any new diagnosis and treatments. Some patients had been suffering for years and finally found a team of doctors that listened to their symptoms and were working to help them.
  • Helene610
    As far as the internet suggestion, there were people who had similar symptoms and they were able to offer advice and even suggestions to the doctors of avenues the doctors might look at. So what sounds weird was actually helpful.
  • mdubbs1
    As far as the internet suggestion, there were people who had similar symptoms and they were able to offer advice and even suggestions to the doctors of avenues the doctors might look at. So what sounds weird was actually helpful.

I've only watched the first two patients so far and since the doctors had already done their thing what came in "live" was just sort of for entertainment it seemed to me!
  • mdubbs1
    Yes, in subsequent episodes, they go back to some of the patients and update any new diagnosis and treatments. Some patients had been suffering for years and finally found a team of doctors that listened to their symptoms and were working to help them.

Coo!1 I wasn't going to buy the whole season unless we got at least some updates. LOL!
  • mdubbs1
    edited June 2020
    Here's how much more a chocolate bar would have to cost to stop using child labor (hint, not much):

https://www.popsci.com/child-labor-chocolate-cocoa/?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=email
  • mdubbs1
    The cheeto is an idiot but apparently he's by far not the only one:

Going back to his pep rallies but having people sign a waiver (who would be idiot enough to attend?)

Having a convention - again, who are these idiots who would attend? (have you heard how they're considering making up for the fact that Jacksonville doesn't have enough hotel rooms? CRUISE SHIPS!) Apparently convention delegates skew older.

I'd ask whether they think our hospital capabilities are unlimited but heck we all KNOW that's not true even if we didn't before.

• PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    I certainly wouldn’t sign a waiver to attend one of his rallies, but then again, the only way I’d attend one of his rallies is with a gun at my back. His MAGA crowd is stupid enough to sign on the dotted line though. Maybe that will thin the herd and they won’t be able to turn out in force to vote for him again.

We are seeing a big uptick in COVID cases here. I think a lot of the people who disregarded all of the recommendations and went out and partied over the Memorial Day weekend as well as the people who have been protesting every day are responsible for this. Texas is in Phase 3 of reopening and I think it’s been much too fast. We have a republican governor who is determined to get the economy moving again, so he is proceeding even with the numbers rising sharply. No surprise, he is a big fan of tRump.

I went yesterday to my hair stylist for a do over. When she did my hair 2 weeks ago I was very pleased with the cut, but not the color. I’ve always worn it with highlights and lowlights but I felt that all I got the first time was a head full of lowlights. I even showed her pictures of what I wanted. Yesterday she took responsibility for a “miscommunication” and added in the highlights so that it looks more like what I wanted in the first place. She didn’t charge me anything this time which was very nice I thought. I didn’t really feel that she should charge me, but I was prepared to pay something for her time. Her saying it was a miscommunication puzzled me a bit though, since I showed her 2 pictures of the color I wanted and they were clearly much lighter than the color I walked out with the first time.
  • mdubbs1
    09g7kuqvbmdm.png
  • mdubbs1
    vnwys3452b9q.png
  • mdubbs1
    089ox88mt5r3.png
  • mdubbs1
    o6uje39l0t99.png