2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    I'm getting really, really, tired of food deliveries and trying to figure out what to get where and when. Hard to imagine this might go on for a year or two. I need to embroider myself a sampler - "we're some of the lucky ones" - or something - to keep reminding myself.
  • mdubbs1
    Lin-Manuel Miranda tweet:

Let me tell you what I wish I’d known
    When I was young and dreamed of glory
    You have no control
    Who lives, who dies, who
    [borrows your song title to write a cash-in book when they could have testified before Congress]
    tells your story...

https://www.nydailynews.com/snyde/ny-lin-manuel-miranda-rips-john-bolton-hamilton-room-where-it-happened-20200618-u4yomiiwi5hrbcymrrcmljvsby-story.html
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Maryanne--I guess it is going fine. She is really working on stretching the muscles. I have to do the exercises 3 times a day. She said to tie them in with meal times to make it easier to remember to do them.

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    mdubbs1 wrote: »
    DH is trying to get his cholesterol down "naturally" (if by naturally you mean all kinds of weird supplements). He decided he wanted to eat oatmeal so I gave him some of my Quaker packets. Then I had to show him how to make it. Put in a bowl, add up to half a cup of boiling water, stir, add raisins and/or skim milk if desired. "How do you get half a cup of boiling water?" I kid you not.... we had a lesson on boiling water.
    I have recently gotten into making overnight oatmeal. It couldn’t be easier. I put a half cup of steel cut oats in a small container. I add cinnamon, artificial sweetener, raisin and cover it all with milk. I cover it and put it in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, I microwave it for a minute because I like my oatmeal warm. So that’s the only cooking involved. I buy a large package of Bob’s Red Mill oats. It’s also much less expensive than instant packets.
  • Helene610
    Exercise is a good natural way to bring down cholesterol. Regular walking will work.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Exercise is a good natural way to bring down cholesterol. Regular walking will work.

From your lips to........

LOL!
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    mdubbs1 wrote: »
    DH is trying to get his cholesterol down "naturally" (if by naturally you mean all kinds of weird supplements). He decided he wanted to eat oatmeal so I gave him some of my Quaker packets. Then I had to show him how to make it. Put in a bowl, add up to half a cup of boiling water, stir, add raisins and/or skim milk if desired. "How do you get half a cup of boiling water?" I kid you not.... we had a lesson on boiling water.
    I have recently gotten into making overnight oatmeal. It couldn’t be easier. I put a half cup of steel cut oats in a small container. I add cinnamon, artificial sweetener, raisin and cover it all with milk. I cover it and put it in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, I microwave it for a minute because I like my oatmeal warm. So that’s the only cooking involved. I buy a large package of Bob’s Red Mill oats. It’s also much less expensive than instant packets.

Cool idea!!
  • mdubbs1
    I am going to take the weekend off work and do CROM paperwork and hopefully start the next newsletter. I am woefully behind because work has been so nuts!

One client I've got several big projects for has asked us to stop billing until July 1 so they can close out their year end. No problem!!!!
  • mdubbs1
    Jean - think this is how Midnight and Jack see themselves?

h2ptwt7sar10.png
  • mdubbs1
    I have never in all my 70 years despaired over my fellow Americans the way I do now. The lunacy is never ending.

Consider, for example, the state of Nebraska, where Republican Gov. Pete Ricketts has threatened to withhold funds from any county that requires people to wear a mask in public buildings. Read that again: The Republican governor is forbidding counties to require residents to do something that will, at very minimal personal inconvenience, reduce the spread of covid-19 to their fellow Nebraskans. If you take covid-19 seriously, this is less a forgetting than a lemming-lunge toward the memory hole.
  • Helene610
    We will probably see a big surge of Covid among those who foolishly ignored scientific and medical advice to reduce the virus. I hope those families who experience sickness remember the people who steered them down those roads. I’d love to see a landslide in the November election voting all of them out of office.
  • mdubbs1
    The people I feel sorry for are those who are being forced to go back to work to provide for their families in those states/cities/businesses that are ignoring the science.

This rally in Tulsa will go down in the history books as one of the most disgraceful parts of this truly disgraceful time in history.

I want Trump out. I want Mitch McConnell out (go Jaime Harrison!). I want a Senate majority. And I'm absolutely terrified Trump will win again. At which point we are doomed. Even if Trump loses, we're going to have our work cut out for us rebuilding and undoing.

The scariest thing is we may not know who wins right away with all the voting by mail. Or maybe the scariest thing is the idea of Trump disputing the election.

Sorry, long winded there, needing to vent!
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    Maryanne, I agree 100% with your concerns. I fear the country literally won’t survive 4 more years of the chaos we’ve had for the past 3 1/2 years. At the very least, we’ve got to hold the House and recapture the Senate. That’s the only possible way to hold him in check if he gets re-elected, and the only way to make progress if Biden wins. Otherwise, it will be a stalemate and nothing will be done for the next 4 years. Those down ballot elections are so important, but get much less attention.

Helene, I think you are correct about the virus resurging after so many states reopen so quickly. We are seeing huge increases here in Texas, yet our republican governor continues full speed ahead with reopening businesses. Like you said, so many people can’t afford to stay at home if their job says come back, even if they don’t feel safe in going back. My SIL is an RN who does case management from home for a hospital chain in the Houston area. Her department is being asked to work in the hospitals on some of their workdays to help out their co-workers who are hospital based. She has diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, and fibromyalgia, so she is asking to be exempted from this assignment, but is fearful that it could cost her her job. She’s about 1-2 years away from retirement, so she really wants to hang onto this job until then.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Common sense tells one that when people are gathered together in close quarters, they are at risk of getting whatever bug is prevalent. Even before Covid-19, parents would send their students to school when they needed to be at home. The outcome, of course, was spreading whatever it was to the rest of the students.

Now, Trump wants to decrease testing because increased testing is causing the numbers of infected to increase. The countries that have been successful in containing and almost to point of eliminating the virus were those that emphasized early testing and enforced stay at home regulations. The other countries are shocked at what is transpiring in the United States. Call it lack of quality leadership at a time of crisis!!
  • Helene610
    I’m sure we’re all glad the Tulsa rally was a flop. There was a sea of empty seats looking back at him. He tried to blame it on protesters blocking access but the media reports that’s not true. Maybe many people were more concerned about their health than in being part of that circus. Even so, more than 12,000 people risked their health and will probably bring it home to their families. Almost none of them wore masks. Maybe he’ll cancel the Phoenix rally he’s planned for next week. As many stupid things as he’s said, I was shocked by the comment of slowing down testing to make the numbers look better. Does he have no shame about anything? That’s rhetorical because know the answer is no.

I’m pinning my hopes on Biden and on enough Republicans incumbents getting voted out to break the gridlock. But you’re right that it would take a long time to repair all the damage Trump has done.
  • mdubbs1
    There was apparently one lone, female, protestor sitting on the grass outside the rally. (The major protest was purposely - and peacefully - held at a location removed from the rally site). The trump people called police to arrest her. Big bad men afraid of one woman sitting calmly wearing an "I can't breathe" tshirt and who apparently had a ticket to the rally.
  • mdubbs1
    I've spent the day fighting with computers and accomplished much less than I intended. Grrrrrr.......
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    I read that the Tulsa Fire Marshall estimated a crowd of around 6500 people, much less than the capacity of the arena. I’ve also read multiple reports of a coordinated effort by teenagers across the country to order massive numbers of tickets for the Tulsa rally with no intention of attending, just to troll him. I hope they continue to do it for every single one of his rallies so he will never know what to expect when he walks on the stage. I also hope that these teens who are old enough to vote turn out in massive numbers to do so!
  • Helene610
    I agree completely with all Pam said. Maybe he’ll give up rallies and stick to Twitter.