2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    My sister drove back from FL in March. She and her husband were really paranoid about staying in FL. My sister agreed to leave then if they would drive straight through to CT. It took them 22 hours to drive through. I’m in awe of that. I might have been able to drive another hour if I had to but I cannot imagine doubling our driving time.

I had texted my friend Debbie yesterday to say we’d be home a day early. We stopped at a Panera in CT to get takeout since we had little or no food in the house after 6 months in FL. And I knew nothing would be open by the time we got home.

I was thinking the entry door would be dark and we’d have to fumble for the keyhole. We drove in and Debbie had come over, turned on the lights, left us a welcome home plant, a four pack of toilet paper and some red velvet Whoopie pies. Debbie used to take care of our cats and she does a house watch now while we’re away. She’s like a sister to me. I texted her that we were home and she said she’d shop for us today. I could have done it myself but I knew she wanted to do it for us so I texted her a list of about 10 items I need. She is such a sweetheart.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    Helene610 wrote: »
    I was thinking the entry door would be dark and we’d have to fumble for the keyhole. We drove in and Debbie had come over, turned on the lights, left us a welcome home plant, a four pack of toilet paper and some red velvet Whoopie pies. Debbie used to take care of our cats and she does a house watch now while we’re away. She’s like a sister to me. I texted her that we were home and she said she’d shop for us today. I could have done it myself but I knew she wanted to do it for us so I texted her a list of about 10 items I need. She is such a sweetheart.

That is truly a kind person!!!
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    What a lovely thing for your friend to do for you, Helene! We’ve done 11-12 hour drives a few times and it is truly exhausting. It’s so nice that your friend is shopping for you today so that you can rest some. Take it easy today and only do what must be done.

Our state is not doing well with COVID, as I’m sure you’re seeing on the news. IMO, the state reopened too quickly, and too many people refused to wear masks or modify their behaviors. I think we are headed back to a more strict stay at home situation. Today our governor ordered the bars to close, as well as reducing capacity at restaurants and closing some other types of recreational businesses. Houston is particularly hard hit, and reporting that their ICU’s are full. Yesterday an order was given in our county requiring masks to be worn, but already the suburb immediately adjacent to ours has said they will not enforce this. That would be fine if their citizens didn’t freely travel to other areas, but that isn’t the case. I can choose not to go into that city, but I can’t keep their citizens from traveling to mine and bringing the infection with them.
  • mdubbs1
    Some people just aren't getting it.

As I waited in the vet parking lot today, I alternated between people watching and reading. Definitely most everyone was keeping their distance and wearing masks. But one young woman was standing maybe 15 feet from the door (where no one but staff is allowed to go in and out), wearing skin tight shorts, tiny tank top and chain smoking. No sign of a mask. I wonder how the staff handles someone like that. But she wandered off and I didn't get to see them deal with her.

They were triaiging (is that a word? spelling?) a dog outside. I wonder about cats. NO WAY is anyone taking my cat out of a carrier outside. I think I'd decide to wait for the regular vet to open and take my chances than risk my cat getting loose outside 20 miles from home. I checked their web site but there's no information.
  • mdubbs1
    Pam - your state isn't doing well. Neither is my sister's (Arizona). Meanwhile the cheeto tries again to take away health insurance. He just can't bear to leave anything from the Obama administration in place, no matter who gets hurt (if he's just left the Obama administration pandemic preparations in place, he'd be looking a LOT better).

• mdubbs1
    I'm buying up NS chili, beef stew and ham and bean soup on ebay because it's all low inventory and my diet relies on those!

I thought maybe it was the price of meat but they are also low on vegetarian chili, fudge bars, and a couple other things I'm forgetting.

My pantry items are starting to take over the house. It's a good thing I'd decluttered already. Now if I could just get DH to do it we'd have more room!
  • Helene610
    Maybe NS business is down with so many people being out of work. They might be producing only the most popular items to save money. But that’s just a guess to explain. Definitely stock up on what you like.
  • mdubbs1
    I love taking the chili and mac n cheese, mixing, and making two dinners. I thought I was out of mac n cheese so I pulled an Annie's mac n cheese out of the pantry. Had to laugh - it's just like the NS when you open it - the strange powder mixed in, the same packet of cheese - except it's bright yellow instead of white. Worked just fine so I know if that goes low on NS there's a sub.
  • mdubbs1
    I'm just SO glad to have Tuffy home!! I missed that boy. Next week is Indy's turn.
  • Helene610
    How did Tuffy’s appointment go? Did you get to speak to the vet? Is he on pills?

I restarted the newspaper today and of course it didn’t get delivered. Or at least I don’t think we’re getting it today. I called to report a missing paper and the message on their line said in an effort to keep carriers and customers safe, deliveries were running 2-3 hours late. So there might be a chance that we get a paper.
  • mdubbs1
    Tuffy's appointment went off without a hitch. The cardiologist said his heart is essentially stable and he doesn't need medication. She gave us anaesthesia recommendations for the vet for when he gets his teeth done in a couple months (I'm going to combine that with his annual visit and shots).

She said he was wiggly and recommended next time he goes back we up his "calming" medication.

I had asked them whether I should be worried about stairs when I got home and they said no so obviously the dose they gave him yesterday wasn't that high. He was a little unsteady at first but it wore off and to my surprise he pretty much followed his normal routine.

He weighed in at 21.7 pounds! Thank goodness I'm stronger than I look.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    How did Tuffy’s appointment go? Did you get to speak to the vet? Is he on pills?

I restarted the newspaper today and of course it didn’t get delivered. Or at least I don’t think we’re getting it today. I called to report a missing paper and the message on their line said in an effort to keep carriers and customers safe, deliveries were running 2-3 hours late. So there might be a chance that we get a paper.

I decided to stop bothering with the paper version of the paper (the only thing I lost was coupons and I can't use those right now anyway). I have the Washington Post, NY Times, and the Baltimore Sun all paid for and bookmarked.
  • PamS53
    Our local newspaper only publishes an on-line edition on Saturdays, but so far I am unsuccessful in my log in attempts. We keep discussing discontinuing our subscription as the paper continues to shrink in content, but DH enjoys working the puzzles and word games. I’ve told him he could get those from the digital version as well, but he just prefers holding the paper in his hands while he reads it every morning. I think I’d be happy with the digital version if I could get it to work. Maybe we will revisit the discussion the next time our subscription is up for renewal.
  • Helene610
    DH does the puzzles and cryptoquip every day so he wants the print. I often read it online. My FL paper is on digital until we go back in December. I like to keep up with what’s happening there while we’re gone. They must have more advertisers than the Cape because the paper is noticeably thicker.
  • mdubbs1
    I miss reading the Sunday magazine and the Sunday comics on paper but that's about it. I find it awkward trying to read the comics online. Part of that is aging eyesight. LOL!
  • mdubbs1
    I've been pretty successful in tracking down paper goods. Next I worked on hand soap and have quite a bit of that. Now DH wants lysol spray (or similar). Because I don't use that my search has been a little less diligent, I confess. LOL!
  • Helene610
    It feels good to be home, especially temperature wise. It’s in the low 70s here compared to mid to high 90s. DH was really complaining about the heat and humidity in FL the last few weeks of our stay. I tended to stay inside with the AC so it wasn’t such a big deal for me. MA is only in Phase 2 and I’m not sure what’s opened or closed. We’ll be staying pretty close to home anyway. DH had a cardiology appointment Monday and that’s one of the reasons we came back when we did. He got a call Friday saying they could make it a virtual visit or could reschedule for some time in September. As I’ve mentioned, we’re not so technologically savvy so we weren’t really comfortable with virtual visit. They discovered they had a Tuesday morning cancellation and she’ll see him in person. He has to go in alone but that’s okay. He has an endocrinology appointment later in the week and that will be a phone call. Virtual was an option but he chose audio only. We have dental cleanings next month. There instructions are to call from the parking lot on arrival. They will call you and tell you when to enter the office. It’s a whole new world out there.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Helene--welcome home! It is great that your house sitter provided some essential welcome home gifts. That was a long drive but it did save you the problem of the quarantine.

Maryanne-NS has been sending me some attractive emails. After being confined to home for so long with little good access to food, these ads are tempting.

Pam--I had been thinking of attending an AFib conference in Dallas this Fall since I had not been there for a long time and the agenda looked good. But with the increase in cases, I think I will continue to play it safe as boring as it might be.

This week would have been the week I went to Australia which has not opened up yet. As much as they like Americans (one of the few countries that do), the USA will be the last to be permitted to enter. The people there took the virus seriously as well as the government guidelines for prevention. They had fewer deaths than our state.

I finally got permission to sleep without the sling, so I have had 3 consecutive nights of quality sleep. None of that waking up every two hour to try to get comfy. That thing can really do a number on the neck. July 14 can't get here too quickly as that is when I see the ortho.
  • PamS53
    Jean, I’m so bummed that you won’t be attending the conference in Dallas as it would have given us an opportunity to actually meet in person, but I totally understand your reasons. I’m glad to hear that you are finally getting some good rest. Everyone I know who has had the surgery you had says that wearing that sling is one of the worst parts of the whole experience.

Helene, I actually liked my Facebook doctor visit, once we worked out the bug that was keeping the call from coming through. That turned out to be my fault as I had accidentally blocked the number on my phone, thinking it was a scam call.
  • Helene610
    Pam, it’s not that we wouldn’t do a virtual visit, it’s that I’d be afraid I’d miss the doctor visit because I messed up the connection. I’m more comfortable with a dry run whenever I do something new or drive somewhere new. Since I didn’t have a way to try it in advance, I’m glad she’s seeing him in person.

Jean, that’s wonderful news about getting rid of the sling. That’s too bad about the conference but you’re making the right decision avoiding TX while Covid is still spreading so fast.