2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    I will most likely burn in h...... for this but every time I see the cheeto in a crowd not wearing masks I can't help where my mind goes.....

Then I remember pence might be more likely to win and I squelch those thoughts.
  • mdubbs1
    tyk39w8obpmd.png
  • mdubbs1
    I was looking for Biden car magnets. This is clever:

uzqebe7nbqkx.png
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    I just got home from having lunch with 2 friends. It was one of my friend’s birthday and I knew she was feeling sad about not having any in-person celebration, so I suggested lunch on a patio at a local restaurant. It turned out to be very nice. The patio is enclosed and air conditioned, but it has windows that can be opened. We sat by the windows and cracked them open so we had a breeze. The restaurant requires customers to wear their masks until seated and again as you leave the restaurant, which we were happy to do. All of their staff wore masks and gloves, so we felt that all necessary precautions were taken. We really enjoyed our lunch and time together. Afterward I early voted in our runoff election at my city Rec center, which was only a few blocks from the restaurant. I chose a good time as it was not at all crowded. I was in and out in 5 minutes. They had hand sanitizer bottles on every table and a gadget that sanitized the stylus I used to sign in. I had to touch the screen to enter my choices for each race, so I used another shot of sanitizer on my way out and then washed my hands after I got home.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    Jean, I too am sorry you had to miss your trip. Who knows when any country will welcome Americans into their country when our nation has flouted common sense practices. Is your PT nearby? That’s wonderful that you can drive again.

DH’s cardiology appointment went well. I waited outside while he went inside. The doctor was pleased with how he looked in person. She wouldn’t have gotten that or his vital signs from a virtual visit. She took him right away and he was out in 30 minutes.

We thought about going to Trader Joe’s before we came home. There was a line of about 30 people waiting to enter the store. I decided I didn’t need anything that badly. We stopped for gas and I went into a supermarket next to the gas station. There parking lot wasn’t very full. They had someone at the door monitoring how many went inside but there was no line or waiting. Their deli counter was open and they had a fully stocked meat department. It’s a 15 mile drive for me to go there but the availability of products would make it worth it. We were in town for the medical appointment so we didn’t make a special trip.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene - I think sometimes of how my view of "far away" has changed. When I was a kid we lived 8 miles from Gettysburg but we almost never went there. That trip was a big deal. Now I think nothing of running off 15 or 20 miles to the vet or a store or wherever.
  • mdubbs1
    Strange word of the day (from my calendar). "recrudescence" - a new outbreak after a period of abatement or inactivity.

When they put this calendar together, they had no clue how relevant that strange word might be.

• mdubbs1
    This morning's op eds in the Post are scathing. Wake up my fellow countrymen before we get so deep we can never recover (at least in my lifetime).
  • mdubbs1
    I'm a t-shirt person. I have quite the collection. Love this one I saw on ebay:

8rwig05nnzsy.png
  • mdubbs1
    Now I need to find that in a car magnet!
  • mdubbs1
    1ts3n6s3qzgl.png
  • PamS53
    Love the cartoon, Maryanne! DH keeps telling me that Biden is senile, and I just can’t believe he doesn’t see the reality that of the two, tRump is by far the least able to form and express a coherent thought.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Nothing new. PT today, and U.S hits new record with 50,000 cases in a single day.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    This was posted on the QVC Discussion Board under the Wellness Forum:

My COVID TX Emergency Alert
    Options
    ‎06-28-2020 11:45 AM

Of course I've been keeping up with TX COVID stats, well aware that we were in trouble.

However, I, and several of my friends, were surprised when our phones began the screech of an Emergency Alert last night. I figured it was an Amber alert, since sadly, there seems to be more of them since the pandemic started, with increase in domestic discord and violence.

I was wrong, it was an atypical alert, that in the past, I never would have dreamed I'd be seeing. It read: STAY HOME. The COVID-19 virus is spreading rapidly across Bexar County. Local hospitals are approaching capacity. Protect yourself and your family, out for essential activities only, with a face covering. Avoid groups of people outside your household. STAY SAFE. *Wow, they finally declared it an emergency.*

This was repeated in AM local news. We have 219 people in ICU, just in my county, with the highest number of positive tests since this all began. And, we're not nearly as bad as Houston, from what I'm hearing. We're turning into NY.

Fellow Texans beware and stay safe. For those elsewhere, never let your guard down, regardless of what you may be hearing. This is going to be a long ride.
  • Helene610
    I haven’t seen the news yet today. 50,000 cases in a day is staggering. Trump can’t really call Biden old since he’s 74 himself. I find it shocking that so many of his supporters are so entrenched in backing him that they can’t see what the rest of the world sees. The Emperor really has no clothes on but his followers can’t see that.

DH just read that Trump is planning a huge fireworks display on the National Mall for July 4th. They expect around 300,000 people. They’re giving out masks but people are not required to wear them. He must be trying to set a record for how many people he can infect in one place. It’s beyond sad and frightening.
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    Love the cartoon, Maryanne! DH keeps telling me that Biden is senile, and I just can’t believe he doesn’t see the reality that of the two, tRump is by far the least able to form and express a coherent thought.

Yeah, I don't get it and I never will.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    I haven’t seen the news yet today. 50,000 cases in a day is staggering. Trump can’t really call Biden old since he’s 74 himself. I find it shocking that so many of his supporters are so entrenched in backing him that they can’t see what the rest of the world sees. The Emperor really has no clothes on but his followers can’t see that.

DH just read that Trump is planning a huge fireworks display on the National Mall for July 4th. They expect around 300,000 people. They’re giving out masks but people are not required to wear them. He must be trying to set a record for how many people he can infect in one place. It’s beyond sad and frightening.

You'd think he'd want to put his shrinking army of voters in cotton wool and safely hide them somewhere they can't get infected.
  • mdubbs1
    How long do folks think the front line medical workers are going to be able to keep this up? Yet I hear/read so little about that. That should terrify everyone of every political persuasion. We don't just need them for COVID. We need them for all the "normal" emergencies.

Even if those workers continue to drag themselves in - because they need a paycheck - how effective are they going to be? Yet all I hear/read about is beds and ventilators.
  • Helene610
    That’s true. He may infect and kill off some of the voters he’s counting on to re-elect him.
  • PamS53
    Jean, Bexar county is the San Antonio area. My friend who lives there is sheltering in place with her husband. Interestingly, her adult stepson who is autistic, has a job at the PX at the Air Force base. He is deemed an essential worker, so he has continued to go to work throughout this time. He has his own apartment, so he isn’t at risk of bringing the virus to them, but he is used to his parents helping him out and checking on him frequently. He was so proud when they explained to him what it meant to be deemed an essential worker.

My SIL is an RN in Houston. She works in case management and utilization review and hasn’t done bedside nursing for many years. She reports that their hospitals are close to being maxed out and her management is looking for volunteers to go to some of the hospitals that are hardest hit. She will not be doing that due to her underlying health issues of diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis. Her DIL is a director of nurses over a neuro ICU and at first she was fairly cavalier about the risks. I think she was of the mindset that it was just a bad flu and the media was hyping it too much. She has really changed her tune now and is insisting that her husband wear his mask. She’s also trying to figure out a different childcare option instead of daycare, but so far she hasn’t found an alternative.

In other news, our beaches are closed this weekend, so I consider that positive since people won’t regulate themselves. Our bars also are being closed or in some cases allowed to operate at much reduced capacity. As for me, I plan to stay home.