2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    mdubbs1 wrote: »
    48qe74257ifi.png

(I actually suspect going back to the office for people who are working at home - as opposed to furloughed - isn't going to happen.)
    I’ll bet a lot of people feel the anxiety of leaving the house to go back to work. Economically they have to but it’s still scary out there. I’m glad to be retiring red so I don’t have to make that choice.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    My nephew works for ExxonMobil. He worked from home throughout the most restricted phase of the quarantine, but once his office opened up he was expected to be back on campus. He really liked working from home, so he was disappointed. He’s very active and athletic, so he enjoyed the freedom of being able to go for a jog or bike ride in the middle of the day, as well as work on projects at home while still getting his work done and being available by phone when needed. His first 2 weeks were a little rough because he was caring for their almost 2 and almost 5 year old kids, but after that their daycare reopened for children of first responders and essential workers. Since mom is a director of nurses at a large hospital, they were able to return to daycare at that point and he was freed up during the daytime for his own work and projects. I think he gained a better appreciation for childcare providers during those two weeks, lol! He’s always been pretty hands-on and helpful with caring for their kids, but I don’t think he was fully prepared to do it full time. But they all survived, so it turned out to be a good experience for all concerned.
  • Helene610
    That’s too bad that your nephew couldn’t continue to work from home at least some days of the week. From what I’ve read and seen on TV, companies were afraid employees wouldn’t be as productive working from home. The opposite turned out to be true. Workers got more done. Companies would save a lot of money by needing less commercial real estate if people could do some work at home. Maybe down the road, his company will rethink having come in to work. If we see a resurgence of Covid from opening things up too soon, people may go back to working from home.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    I know just the time freed up from not commuting added to my productivity. I suspect we'll see many companies restructure to have less office space and more telework.
  • mdubbs1
    Sometimes I can be a little slow. I had the Lean Cuisine spaghetti tonight (thanks, Pam). The calories seemed a little high to me. Eventually it occurred to me - "you know, you idiot, you don't have to eat the whole thing". LOL!

I am knee deep in restating a pension plan, one of those avante garde cash balance jobbies so I've been thinking hard about that. That's my excuse!
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    Maryanne, if you left some of it, you have way more self control than I do, lol! I always eat the whole portion. Which may partially explain why I am not losing weight.
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    Maryanne, if you left some of it, you have way more self control than I do, lol! I always eat the whole portion. Which may partially explain why I am not losing weight.

I'm slowly starting to see a little bit of "compromise" is the best word I'm thinking of this morning but that's not quite it. Eating less than all of something. Having a regular weekend dinner meal but not making a carb side dish for me. Maybe I can actually work my way up to having a modest portion of a couple of my favorite foods.
  • mdubbs1
    I lost a half pound last week. It's sort of ironic that the reward for losing weight is having to eat less and less. LOL!

cmhlv6503m22.png
  • Helene610
    I have always had difficulty with the concept of leaving something on the plate. The only way I’ve had success with that is to cut a portion in half and plan to have it at a later meal. For instance, when I buy a deli sandwich, I wrap up half and put it in the refrigerator. Leaving food on the plate just feels so wasteful to me. So I have to try to measure portions instead of leaving food on the plate.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    I have always had difficulty with the concept of leaving something on the plate. The only way I’ve had success with that is to cut a portion in half and plan to have it at a later meal. For instance, when I buy a deli sandwich, I wrap up half and put it in the refrigerator. Leaving food on the plate just feels so wasteful to me. So I have to try to measure portions instead of leaving food on the plate.

I know, it's hard. I admit I didn't put it on the plate. Overall, I'm trying to convince myself that I'd rather waste a little food than die before I have to and leave my furbabies.
  • mdubbs1
    m6bauty06j6v.png
  • mdubbs1
    ux6bmix36yvc.png
  • mdubbs1
    lt70qd59vw4m.png
  • mdubbs1
    0qq29bfvcdgm.png
  • mdubbs1
    hhag3i9egmon.png
  • Helene610
    I watched Genetic Detective last night. As I watched it, I thought the victim’s name was familiar. I realized the case was on Dateline or 48 Hours last year. A young man was wrongly convicted after hours of police interrogations. He spent 20 years in prison. The victim’s mother started investigating the case herself. She watched the interview tapes and realize he knew nothing about the case. The detectives provided him with details as they talked to him. After hours of questioning, he would have agreed with anything they asked him. CeCe starts her genetic research after Angie’s mother contacted her and asked for help there. I won’t say more in case you haven’t watch it yet.
  • mdubbs1
    I haven't watched it yet (or last week's). I'm sort of rationing them out since there's so little on tv.

I bought the second season of NCIS:LA and am watching that along with Ken Burns movie about the Civil War and the Pearl Islands season of Survivor (I think I have one more season left after that to watch).

• mdubbs1
    hckoibqgeuyl.png
  • mdubbs1
    p1xidkxng7yk.png
  • mdubbs1
    14lgf5mocd4i.png