2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    Thanks for sharing that. I didn’t know much about Austin other than reading it’s part of the music scene. We’re getting heavy, afternoon showers right now. The state has been in a drought and forest fire danger has been high. We’ve just started the rainy season so that should help. I like that the showers last about an hour and then the sun comes out. At home, it tends to rain for a whole day or maybe longer.I like this better than that.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    The University of Texas is an interesting institution, at least to me. It has a total enrollment of more than 240,000 students in its 8 academic institutions and 6 medical colleges in various Texas cities. Three of the medical institutions are top-ranked cancer research facilities. DH graduated from UT El Paso. More than 1/3 of all bachelor’s degrees awarded in Texas are from a college in the UT system. It is extremely competitive to be admitted to the Austin campus, less so for some of the other locations. A good friend’s son just graduated from the Austin campus. He is planning to take a gap year while he studies for and takes the MCAT then applies to medical school.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    That sounds like Pitt. People mostly started off at the satellite colleges, rather than the main campus. I actually didn't know that until later when I discovered people were surprised I started at the main campus.
  • PamS53
    Actually, the branches of UT are not considered satellites. Each is a full university and most students don’t transfer to the Austin campus, probably because it is extremely competitive to get admitted there, particularly in certain programs. I think because the state is so large and the distances so great from one end of the state to the other, the system just developed this way. Texas A&M University is similar, both in size and structure. They also have multiple locations, although the main campus is in College Station. And, of course, a huge rivalry between the two schools. My friend whose son just graduated from UT also has an older daughter who graduated from A&M, so some football weekends get very intense in their household, lol!
  • mdubbs1
    College Station - great name for a college town, just like PA has State College. I wonder if they were planned names? Misc. fact: I actually lived in State College for most of second grade when my dad had a sabbatical from teaching and worked on a master's degree. I always claim it's why my handwriting is so terrible. In State College second graders didn't learn to write; when I got home my classmates had already learned. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
  • mdubbs1
    edited June 2020
    I lost a pound last week. I'm getting really, really hungry for some of my favorite food. Like spaghetti. And ice cream. Definite cravings. I've been so good for 5 months now, don't want to blow it.

7dbyrk3v9bpg.png
  • mdubbs1
    0q3zbbhsofu0.png
  • PamS53
    Maryanne, Lean Cuisine has a pretty good spaghetti and meat sauce dinner that is around 300 calories. I have it every week or two. It’s not a huge portion, but it might satisfy your craving without causing a setback. You’ve really been doing great. Congrats on another pound gone!
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    Maryanne, Lean Cuisine has a pretty good spaghetti and meat sauce dinner that is around 300 calories. I have it every week or two. It’s not a huge portion, but it might satisfy your craving without causing a setback. You’ve really been doing great. Congrats on another pound gone!

It's worth a try! I just added one to my order for tomorrow!
  • mdubbs1
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    Maryanne, you’re doing great. Your hard work is paying off. I’ve slacked off on my steps the last couple of weeks. I’m still doing them but not as many. I think it’s the boredom of staying home that’s dampened my motivation. I’ve gained 3 pounds. While not great, when I hear people on TV say they’ve gained 10 or more pounds, I almost feel like I’m holding my own.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Maryanne, you’re doing great. Your hard work is paying off. I’ve slacked off on my steps the last couple of weeks. I’m still doing them but not as many. I think it’s the boredom of staying home that’s dampened my motivation. I’ve gained 3 pounds. While not great, when I hear people on TV say they’ve gained 10 or more pounds, I almost feel like I’m holding my own.

"The Covid 15" has become sort of a "thing". I do not want it!!! LOL!!!
  • mdubbs1
    I grew up in a family where there was always too much food on the table, for fear someone would be hungry (not hungry as in starving children in China but hungry in the sense of "I could have eaten a little more"). I tend to have continued that when I make meals for the both of us on the weekend (Monday to Friday we have his and her meals).

That's the long way around to explaining why I think when I make something like spaghetti I used two jars of sauce, a whole pound of spaghetti and over a pound of hamburg. Then we'd have two meals of spaghetti and I'd snack on the cold spaghetti and use it for lunches and well, you get the idea.

I added hamburg to my food order for tomorrow. I of course have plenty in the freezer but I think I want to try making a modest spaghetti meal. Maybe 2/3 bottle of sauce, 1/2 pound of hamburg, 1/2 box of spaghetti. See if I can handle moderation. If I can actually bring myself to throw out the leftovers that will be a victory.

Or maybe just having it in the house will be enough and I'll end just freezing the hamburg and eating the lean cuisine Pam suggested.
  • mdubbs1
    Let this be a start on taking our country back from rascists!!

White Supremacist Congressman Steve King Defeated In Shock GOP Primary

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/steve-king-loses-primary-republican_n_5ed6e9fbc5b6aade1be3944a
  • mdubbs1
    3v09pbmawjgu.png
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    I am doing fine; minimal pain. In fact, rarely feel it. I watched them use ultra sound to find the right spot to inject the nerve block. That thing didn't wear off for almost 30 hours, but by that time I had already started taking the prescribed pain med. They said the biggest mistake people make was waiting to feel pain before taking the med. I take my arm out of the sling five times a day to exercise lower arm. The sling is a nuisance but I've been able to sleep on my right side.

I just have been relaxing and avoiding all the political stuff as much as possible. Despite my having my choice of foods available to eat, people have been bringing in good food. I'll gain before this is over. I go for my follow up on June 8.
  • PamS53
    Jean, it’s so good to hear from you! I’m glad the surgery went well and it sounds like you are recovering well also. Try not to worry too much about gaining weight at this point. Your focus needs to be on eating well to help you heal and recover.

Maryanne, your plan for making spaghetti sounds very reasonable. When DH and I make it for the two of us, we typically use a full jar of sauce and a full pound of hamburger with about half a pound of noodles. That will make about 3 servings, keeping in mind that DH really HEAPS on the sauce for his portion. He absolutely loves spaghetti sauce. If there is any left over, he will eat it like it’s soup straight out of the pan, lol. I’ve tried to suggest that if he were a bit more restrained about it we could freeze the excess and have it another time, but he has no self-control at all around spaghetti sauce.
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    Maryanne, your plan for making spaghetti sounds very reasonable. When DH and I make it for the two of us, we typically use a full jar of sauce and a full pound of hamburger with about half a pound of noodles. That will make about 3 servings, keeping in mind that DH really HEAPS on the sauce for his portion. He absolutely loves spaghetti sauce. If there is any left over, he will eat it like it’s soup straight out of the pan, lol. I’ve tried to suggest that if he were a bit more restrained about it we could freeze the excess and have it another time, but he has no self-control at all around spaghetti sauce.

I can SO relate to no control around spaghetti sauce, although I use all the sauce so I guess for me it's no control around leftover spaghetti.

(or ice cream, although believe it or not there are 2 pints in the freezers and have been for months)
  • mdubbs1
    KonaKat wrote: »
    I am doing fine; minimal pain. In fact, rarely feel it. I watched them use ultra sound to find the right spot to inject the nerve block. That thing didn't wear off for almost 30 hours, but by that time I had already started taking the prescribed pain med. They said the biggest mistake people make was waiting to feel pain before taking the med. I take my arm out of the sling five times a day to exercise lower arm. The sling is a nuisance but I've been able to sleep on my right side.

Oh, those nerve blocks are the weirdest thing ever!! I'm glad you're having minimal pain but I know for side sleepers sometimes being limited to one side is a PITA.
  • mdubbs1
    My grocery order showed up an hour early today. First time that's happened!

Luckily I hadn't left yet to feed the colonies. I did that next. There is definitely more traffic out there. And definitely a LOT more delivery times available for food deliveries. I imagine that's a combination of them hiring more shoppers and more customers going back to the stores.

I sort of feel like we're in the eye of the hurricane but am afraid there are folks who don't realize that.