2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    The fast food place where we stopped last night was Sonic. I’m not sure if those are in your areas, but it is a drive in style restaurant where you push a button to speak to someone inside the kitchen to place your order. You can pay in cash, or there is a slot for credit card payments, so no contact there. The food is brought out on a tray and that individual stands back, extending the tray toward the driver so you can take the food off the tray without touching anything but the bag of food. The delivery person was wearing a mask and gloves. We should have been wearing our masks, but we both had forgotten to bring them with us since we were not going to wear them while in our friends’ back yard. Relatively low risk IMO so I wasn’t worried about it.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    Pam - that makes sense. A friend told me yesterday McDonald's still operates the way they always have - you have a person your cash/debit card and they hand you the food.
  • mdubbs1
    I had no idea Henry Ford was a leading anti-Semite admired by Hitler:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-henry-ford-good-bloodlines_n_5ec70aecc5b63a1f62e49030
  • mdubbs1
    Baltimore's mayor has urged the cheeto NOT to come to Baltimore over Memorial Day. I wonder what the cheeto would do if Baltimore just said "we're not paying".

https://www.baltimoresun.com/politics/bs-md-pol-trump-mchenry-20200521-ioqmpkntojf63bl23wsernq6xm-story.html#rt=chartbeat-flt
  • mdubbs1
    I decided to pick up Masked Prey next, the latest John Sandford Lucas Davenport book.

I've only ever met two best selling authors and he's one - I went to a book signing of his once in Baltimore. I've always enjoyed his books (although Virgil Flowers is my favorite).
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    Virgil Flowers is my favorite too. I used to read the Davenport books but they got too gruesome for me. Sanford wrote a series before the Prey books. He used a pseudonym and I don’t recall what it was. I’m sure you could Google it.

I saw a cute thing about Alexa on TV. It’s an app from Moon Pie. It’s called Moonmate. Alexa is a virtual roommate and can carry on conversations. The example they used was Alexa, should I give myself a haircut. Alexa said no and that the gray really didn’t look that bad. He also asked Alexa if he should go outside. Alexa said no, they should stay inside and they had plenty of things to do inside. It gave me a chuckle. There’s lots more things you can ask her.
  • mdubbs1
    Sandford is a pseudonym. His real last name is Camp.

'In 1989, two novels of mine, one from Holt, the other from Putnam, happened to appear almost simultaneously. Putnam asked me to use a pseudonym, and that’s where the John Sandford name came from. Henry Sandford was my great-grandfather and fought with the Iron Brigade during the Civil War.'
  • mdubbs1
    ysjrfbu1vl35.png
  • mdubbs1
    qvqjclrp607s.png
  • mdubbs1
    kc2xl3df3mcl.png
  • mdubbs1
    Another weekend. Looks just like a weekday. Tons of work to do; nowhere to go except to feed the colonies today, chores I won't get to.
  • mdubbs1
    I went out and fed the colonies. Got gas. At the gas station a crow was poking around the trash can next to me. He (she) pulled out a fast food container which conveniently flipped open for him. Didn't appear to me much left in it. So I slipped him some cat food. So today I fed cats and a crow!
  • mdubbs1
    edited May 2020
    Friday grocery delivery adventure. There was one grocery store whose delivery I hadn't tried yet. They aren't that close to me but I know they have one thing DH loves that no one else has so I thought I'd give it a whirl. Delivery time was 1-2.

About 3 I got a call, DC area code, from a man who I couldn't really understand. I thought he said he was running an hour late. I assumed it was a shopper and said "fine, just drop it off in an hour" or something like that.

At 4 there was a phone message from a woman who said she had a question about my order. she left a number. I called it back - got a menu of possibilities and chose "customer service". Phone rang and rang and rang. I tried off and on for maybe an hour. Finally got someone who supposedly put me through to their shop at home people. When they didn't pick up, it rang back to customer service. Did that dance a couple times.

Meanwhile I got an email saying they'd charged my credit card. The email had an 800 number so I tried that. That was about 6 pm. I was like the 24th caller in line. Finally talked to a nice young man who tried but said he couldn't get the shop at home folks either. He sent an electronic message to the store manager.

About 7 she called me. Her first question was something like "we have your order; how is it being delivered?" SAY WHAT??? Ummmm, that's your job. Apparently Monday - Thursday they have drivers but the other three days it's done by "outside companies". Talked like I should know this because I ordered through the outside company. Except I did not! There was no notation on their web site that delivery would differ based on what day I chose and no, I didn't order through some other website but right from your store's web site. I asked whether my order was sitting somewhere melting. No, it's refrigerated/frozen. Finally I said "well, can you deliver it Monday". She agreed. DH just reminded me Monday's a holiday so who knows?

Bizarre experience. Worst yet.
  • mdubbs1
    7ov15adadf59.png
  • mdubbs1
    2yavhg8brmnn.png
  • mdubbs1
    Boy, it appears there going to be nothing on TV this summer. Except game shows (yuk). I need to find something old to watch. I know I've got NCIS:LA season 2 purchased. I can get back to watching that. Any other ideas of things I might have missed?
  • mdubbs1
    snbd0zlmeqhx.png
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Maryanne--Love the memes. Customer service can be so unfriendly. I do hope the grocery delivery works for you.

I am tired, as I've been trying to tie up loose ends before the surgery. I have no idea how much I weigh and right now, that is not a priority.

This Friday is the big day if the procedure is approved. I guess I will have a fun summer ahead but there is little to do anyway. I may meet a friend on Tuesday and have dinner out in the city as that won't be an option for several weeks. The only option here is the pizza place.
  • mdubbs1
    Jean - I know it can't be fun looking forward to that surgery. Good thinking doing everything you can to prepare!