2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    Maryanne, you’re correct that many people are carriers without symptoms and they have been infecting others. That’s why people without symptoms need to be tested. I had a headache for a couple of days in February as well as a low temperature. It was around 97.7. Did I have a mild case? Who knows. At this point, an antibody test would be the most helpful. I don’t think I have anything now but who knows about back then. I was in CVS Tuesday, picking up prescriptions. They had a sign at pickup saying they had Shringrex. I had the first dose in October, before coming to FL. I tried several times to find some this winter without success. I’d been told that the second shot had to be received with 6 months. I told the pharmacist I had the first shot in October and he said it was fine to get it. I had to get it standing up since they have the pharmacy seats were taped off. I’m always nervous getting shots and I did think I hope I don’t faint because I’m standing up. He encouraged me to keep talking so I’d be relaxed. I never even felt the needle go in. I knew I’d have a sore arm because it happened the first time. Last night, I had a 100.3 fever which is pretty rare for me. I got out the fact sheet and fever is a side effect. So .I think that’s the cause of my fever. The side effects are well worth protecting myself from getting shingles.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    edited May 2020
    What I don’t understand about testing people who are asymptomatic is that with a shortage of available tests, testing people without symptoms is basically like throwing a dart at random targets. Plus, if you test me today I may be fine, but yesterday I might have tested positive. Unless every single person is tested at least once daily, I don’t think testing people without symptoms helps much. That’s why I think antibody testing will ultimately be more helpful, but I don’t hear much about the availability of that type of testing. From what I’ve read, antibody testing isn’t very reliable yet.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    edited May 2020
    I think testing everyone is the goal; not the current reality. We could have been there by now if the cheeto hadn't made light of all this. But you're right the reality s that most jurisdictions - unlike the white house - don't have enough tests to even test everyone with symptoms.

What the white house is doing is optimal, of course. Testing everyone in the work place daily. Next best would probably be something like testing everyone in the workplace before you restart operations and then testing weekly or when someone has symptoms

I think the big labs like Quest are all selling antibody tests - to anyone who wants one - but you're right I don't know how reliable they are.

• mdubbs1
    I've gotten better about shots and blood draws. My whole life I fainted - starting in first grade - when we got some shot at school and the whole school got an extra recess because Maryanne fainted. I always made folks lay me down. But in the last couple years I've gotten better.

I suddenly realized I'm due for whooping cough/tetanus.
  • mdubbs1
    yjqclgwjyn7i.png
  • mdubbs1
    I'm currently up to season 6 of My 600 pound life (I watch when I'm on the treadmill). The Lisa episode. What a character she is. From an online forum:

Q. How many EMTs does it take to move a Lisa?

A. An entire calender’s worth.

• mdubbs1
    y0wp3rfxfkr5.png
  • PamS53
    xgvwchq9vgym.jpeg
  • mdubbs1
    Pam - funny!!
  • mdubbs1
    The Hamilton movie is being released 15 months early!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/12/movies/hamilton-movie-disney-plus.html

Now I just have to figure out how to watch it. LOL!
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    I heard on TV that it will be on Disney Plus. Maybe you could do a short time subscription and tape it when it comes on. I think they said July but I could be wrong about the date.
  • mdubbs1
    edited May 2020
    Helene610 wrote: »
    I heard on TV that it will be on Disney Plus. Maybe you could do a short time subscription and tape it when it comes on. I think they said July but I could be wrong about the date.

July 3!!!

Latest headline:

Disney announced on May 12 that the "Hamilton" movie, previously slated for a 2021 theatrical release, would hit Disney Plus on July 3.

People online are questioning whether Disney will censor the show for its streaming platform; "Hamilton" includes explicit language This is true.as well as sexual themes Well, yeah, Hamilton might have had a shot at the presidency if not for all the sexual shenanigans.and gun violence. How do you show dueling deaths without gun violence.

Disney has previously censored movies like the 1984 film "Splash" by covering up instances of partial nudity, and also has moved shows with mature themes like the "Love, Simon" spin-off to Hulu. No nudity in this; lots of floor length gowns.
  • mdubbs1
    7vqhad5xqxrx.png
  • mdubbs1
    3wt9mnp0nedw.png
  • mdubbs1
    z4c6oqiq6fjn.png
  • mdubbs1
    In my family we call this "Arendtsville humor" (aka small town humor or childish humor).

k453kbw2bd6m.png
  • mdubbs1
    ot0o0dwiz556.png
  • PamS53
    We went to a front lawn happy hour last night and it was so nice to be out of the house and among friends again! Everyone brought their own drinks, chairs, and an appetizer to share. Our hosts had a shady front yard and although it was warm, there was a good breeze blowing so it was fairly pleasant. We were careful to spread out our chairs and keep some distance from each other and it was just so nice to be able to socialize again. I think that is what I’ve missed most during this pandemic. I didn’t shop that much before and we typically only ate out once a week or less, so that part hasn’t been that different. But I used to see my friends at least 3 or 4 times a month and I’ve really missed that. I think most of my friends seem to be coping pretty well, although one has reverted to biting her nails. She said she had stopped doing that at age 10 but her anxiety has made her start again. Not being able to get her nails done probably contributed as well. Her main source of anxiety is not being able to see her grandchildren who live in DC. She normally visits them at least once a month and it has been really hard for her to not be able to travel up there to see them. I think once she feels it is safe to do so, she will be on the first plane up there.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    We finally got a case in a resident of our county. The individual had no symptoms but works in a non-patient contact department of the local hospital. It is its practice to test all its employees on a regular basis, and the individual turned up as positive on the routine test. Of course, with the accuracy of some of the tests, the individual might test negative if the test were done again, but I have a hunch they retested the individual.

It is the asymptomatic people that might be carriers but don't know it because they can't be tested unless known to have symptoms or exposure to someone who has Covid-19. There just aren't enough tests for the entire population, but our state is beginning to target some counties for a short period of time for testing without having to meet the criteria. On the basis of that, the testing might be extended.

I am going to the city to pick up my groceries at the Walmart grocery pickup. It will be about a 3-1/2 hour trip as there isn't anything else to do while there. Most of the time will be on the road. I'll stop at the Post Office and pick up my mail on the way. I get my mail about twice a week. Post Office, drugstore, and groceries are the only reason for me to be out except for the rare medical appointment now being allowed in person.