2020 - We can be our BEST SELF every day!

Options

Replies

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    What a shame about your hike being cancelled. No wonder it led to wine! I ended up drinking wine too last week for the first time in ages and of course ate a load of crap with it. Gained weight immediately and haven't been able to shake it. It feels like a few hours throw out a whole weeks worth of dieting! So frustrating! Oh well. Back to it!
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Suzy huge congrats on the 3lbs.... and you say "whole bottle of wine with hubby"... i say "quality time enjoying life with hubby" LOLOLOL..

Sorry about the cold front from us... i think its here today holy cow suddenly today cold wet damp i had to come back for a hoodie from my walk! really hoping we get a few more weeks of summer type weather in here tho; i am not comfortable here playing indoors over the winter the way things are in my neck of the woods so once the cold weather comes no more pickleball for me lol. But i totally get prefering cooler temps for hiking and general out and about stuff.

When do the kids move in Suzy? or have they already?

Vail - i heard on the news the UK is experiencing high numbers too; it just sucks that we who are following the rules are held captive cause so many others arent.. i hope you and your son are safe and well .. i bought 2 bottles of wine today since i havent had any in the house for a while lol... im afraid to open one now ha. Havent hit the scale in a while but am hoping by the weekend perhaps i might see even a teeny weeny loss.. i'll take it!

Hope Gail and Milove are ok...
  • suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    Snoozie, they move in this weekend. Fingers crossed that it goes well.

I agree that it’s completely discouraging to work so hard to lose a few pounds and then gain them all back in what seems like an afternoon. I swear if you added up all the weight I’ve lost without taking into consideration what I’ve gained back then I would be in negative numbers. Lol. My husband just announced that he’s going for a walk. Good lord, I’m exhausted! There’s no way I can work up the energy to get up off this couch much less go for an hour walk. I’m in awful shape.

I hope you have some pleasant weather for pickle ball for awhile yet. Hang in there!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Suzy i'm with you on the negative number lol. It's frustrating for sure and seems to be going so slow for any loss right now.. i'm actually doing i think ok as far as eating less.. maybe not cutting out enuf crap but still .. oh well.. i'm not gonna give up i will lose some of this weight before the snow flies cause i suspect i'm going to be spending a lot of time indoors again then!

We've been hearing up here about terrible fires in California and Oregon Suzy.. I'm hoping you and any of your family aren't anywhere near the area and are ok..... are you all ready for the move in? Have you figured out how you're gonna handle the ordering in aspect yet/ inquiring minds want to know lol hope the foot is improving every day..

Vail i resister opening a bottle of wine last nite lol.... but i suspect i will lose that battle tonite.. especially because i have leftovers from last nite and thank god i wont have to cook tonite....

• cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Another 2 miles done

Mile 1. 15.28 (personal best)
    Mile 2. 17.81

I had to stop in the beginning of mile 2 :( wardrobe malfunction...

my headband came off 👀😂
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    The fires out west are horrible. When you hear how many thousands of acres have burned, you wonder how anything is left. Luckily, I don’t have any family or close friends out that way. I feel so bad for everyone dealing with it though. Those poor people losing homes and firemen fighting for days on end.

I guess we’re as ready as we can be for three people and two dogs to move into our empty nest. I don’t know how we’re going to handle meals yet. I think I’ve just been ignoring it and hoping some easy solution will present itself when needed. Lol. I’m just so tired all the time. I’ve never been as continuously worn out as I have been lately. Just the idea of getting up at 5:00 am to go to the gym is enough to make me want to cry. I’ve got to get out of this slump.

Good job on being so consistent Carol!

I hope Milove and Gail are doing well. Hang in there everyone!
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    Thanks Suzy 😊

Is there a way that you can workout at home?
    Buy weights... small to start
    plus a mat
    Pretty sure that you would be able to find something on Google
    Walk after dinner

Saves the drive...
    Just a couple of ideas

Just have to find time and energy to organize things... clothes and paperwork.
    Amazing how much "stuff" I have

Thank God for "pick up please"
    Helping veterans

Good luck on your family moving in

Are you still working or retired

I'm finally getting off my cute little hiney after being retired since last August

We have a track 1 block over..
    very blessed

We've been doing a lot of travel..
    we went across the country this Spring..
    San Antonio, Colorado Springs and the Grand Canyon
    (caught a break from Covid.. before it really got serious)
    Brian Sr did all the driving 🚗 😂

Some hot breakfast... some to go bags (we stayed in Hilton all the time to earn points)
    Some take out, some indoor dining
    Sometimes masks, sometimes not

Thanks
    Carol
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    We're getting cabin fever again..

I do feel sorry for those affected by Covid and the families of those who passed

Not that hard people... too easy... just sayin

I have a million ideas how to open up again

• Vailara
    Options
    How awful about the fires. I'm glad you don't have any loved ones involved, Suzy. I think I have been so overwhelmed with worrying about Covid that I forget there are still other awful things going on in the world, sadly.

You seem to be making the most of your retirement, Carol. It's good that you got some travelling in before things went to pot.

Good luck with the new lodgers, Suzy! I hope the animals cope OK. It will be quite a lively household for you all! I'm curious about the eating too, but I suppose when they first move in you will all be finding your way.

Snoozie, my son and I are OK, thanks. Apart from him working ridiculous hours! It's a hard life. I am also having to go back to working in people's homes, which I am really concerned about. As you say, infections are escalating here. There are problems with testing and with tracing. People don't know the rules and so are breaking them all the time. I've dared to venture out to shops twice this week, and both times I was the only person wearing a mask.

I hope Gail and Milove are OK too. It's a worry for all of us.

Did you manage to resist the wine? I really regret drinking last week! It's silly because it was only a few hours of some wine plus some food that I wouldn't have normally had, but it has taken a week of restriction to get rid of the weight I gained, and I'm still not back to where I was. I think that maybe at my age, I can't drink when I'm trying to lose and maybe I have to save it for maintenance. I am cautiously meeting with friends outdoors for lunch next week and will probably eat too much, but I'm going to be driving so no alcohol!

Exercise, I've been hit and miss but carrying on with my step workouts and have raised the step up a notch! I've also just found that there is an outdoor gym within easy walking distance! It's tiny, but I went yesterday and nobody was there. I had to move when some children came over to play on it (it does look a bit like a children's play area, so I don't blame them!), but no adults ventured near. I still haven't been back to my usual gym as I don't feel safe yet, but if I take some alcohol gel it's probably fine using this outdoor one. There was only one machine which felt like it was going any good, but I thought that just having the walk to get there is better than nothing too! And I'm sore today, so it feels like I've done something!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    An outdoor gym?! That’s awesome! I think these are such trying times that any exercise we’re managing to work into our daily lives is outstanding. Carol, you’re doing a great job. Snoozie, your pickleball and walks are stellar. Vail, doing your step exercises is wonderful. I applaud all of you for doing something!!

It was a very busy day with moving everything and everyone. Our cat has been holed up behind the couch for several hours now. He won’t come out. I’m going to move his food and water downstairs to the man cave in the basement. We have a gate on the stairs that he can get through but the dogs can’t so he will have somewhere to hang out. The baby’s crib is set up and she is sleeping...well, like a baby right now. So, all’s good. I’m ready for bed and it’s only 7:45pm.

I came up with a list of dinners that I think everyone will eat. They aren’t all low calorie or what you would call “healthy” but I think if I limit my portion size and just add a veg that I can eat then I’ll be okay. I’m just going to have to really watch what I eat the rest of the day and make sure I go easy on my dinner portions. That’s the plan. We’ll see how I do.

Vail, I’m concerned about you going into people’s homes. Hopefully they will take all the necessary precautions. I think my state (Georgia) has been showing a downward trend lately on cases. We have so many people who refuse to wear masks. I just don’t understand.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Morning!

I'm only on my first coffee so lord knows how well this post will turn out lol..

Nothing new at my end.. except i braved the scale this morning and im suprised i didn't crawl back under the covers and pull them up over my head :( I have been stress eating a lot lately .. well emotional eating i guess.. i seem to be going thru another phase of anger at all the ignorant, selfish morons who won't wear masks and care nothing about the greater good just themselves and their "dont wanna" whine.. and are holding me hostage inside because of their arrogance and complete disregard for humanity..

They even made it a bylaw in my community that masks are mandatory in all indoor public spaces - which includes elevators and all businesses, but i spend half my day hopping off the elevator in my building every time someone gets on without one.. everyone refusing to wear one in public is blatantly saying "f u" to everyone... and i admit i have to control my desire to just punch em out lol. and realizing its been 6 months now of pretty much isolating 22 hrs a day, and I still wont be able to see my family this year as where they live is the only place smart enough in our country to require a 2 week quarantine for anyone entering the province... Which is why they've had so few cases there throughout this whole pandemic... but its obviously getting cooler now too and i think in the back of my mind im already dreading being holed up again thru winter.. so my head is telling my mouth to eat a bag of chips to calm down!! So i know i absolutely need to focus on not giving in to emotional eating - to recognize me stuffing those chips or cookies in is not going to help .. so that's my goal for the upcoming week!

Vail - are you doing like a VON home visit to people?? I don't blame you at all for being nervous or anxious over that.. .because while you know what YOU are doing is right.. you can't know if the people you go to visit are following protocols or not. Maybe if you double up on the PPE when you go; i.e. a mask plus a face shield and double glove it will help relieve the anxiety a bit? i don't know if that's feasible for what you have to do but do whatever you can or have to to keep yourself safe and comfortable enough with the PPE to relieve some of the anxiety...

I LOVE THE idea of an outdoor gym.... and huge congrats on moving your step up to the next notch!! i hated the step in my fitness classes and admit it was always at the lowest notch so im very impressed you moved up one!! Well done you! and i totally agree.. extra bonus points just on the walk to get there lol.. and if you're sore today then you were moving some parts for sure even if it may not have felt like it at the time. Good job Vail... good job!!

Suzy.... before i forget how's the foot doing?? I can imagine yesterday was exhausting and i hope you got a good sleep last nite afterwards! Your poor cat.. i feel for him; and it's great he will have a "safe" space to hang out in the man cave!

Total kudos to you for coming up with some dinner plans... and honestly think its a great idea to focus on just portion control, not what may or may not be considered "healthy"... its going to be a little stressful for all of you over the coming weeks.. even tho we love our family when our routines and structures are disrupted for any reason it can make us anxious, and there are 6 of you (well 9 if you count your cat and the 2 dogs) who's routines are all being challenged.. so cut yourelf a little slack without adding in stressors about food... but that said i think deciding ahead of time that your focus will be on portion control no matter what the meal is a a GREAT idea.. because it will give you some control in a situation where you may not feel you can eat what you want, but rather have to prepare food for everyone's tastes and styles.. so knowing you can control what you eat will help big time im sure.. really great idea you have IMO...

OKAY Im going to post this now before i hit something and lose it all.. i'll probably remember somethign else i want to ramble on about later.. but need more coffee first ... lol

And its good to know we have a safe place ourselves to come and vent to keep us sane lol.. and yes its important to focus on the gratitudes that the people we love are safe and we all have roofs over our heads and food on the table...but because we are grateful and recognize that.. its ok to need to vent about whats making us crazy now and then lol... less calories to vent here than to eat chips or drink wine ha...
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    Just did another 2 miles

Mile 1. 16.49
    Mile 2. 16.99

Best mile 2 ever

I completed the first mile non-stop🙂

4 laps equal 2 miles

Lap 3 was walk and jog

Lap 4 was jogging without stopping 🙂
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    Today's cardio sponsored by the lawn mowing services of Carol McPhillips
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Well done Carol! How hot is it where you are? I starting sweating the minute I left my house today. This heat is awful. I did go back to the gym today. 5:00 am came really really early. There were a bit more people than I like so I went into the closed basketball court area where they have rowing machines and a few other misc machines. People rarely go in there. It was just me. It was difficult to get back into it but I managed. I’m hoping that regular exercise will help with my low energy problem...eventually because I’m exhausted right now. Lol.

Snoozie I get so fed up with people not following the basic rules of wearing a mask. Unless you have breathing issues, it’s not hurting you to just wear one. Jeez, how hard is that?!?!!
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    Another 2 miles done 🙂

Actually ran 1.5 miles nonstop (3 laps) in 24 minutes 🙂👍

Lap 4 was a walk (cool down)

Go Carol Go 💪
    This girl is on 🔥
  • Vailara
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Well done, Carol! It's great reading your updates - you sound so motivated, and are achieving so much!

I hope things are OK with everybody else. Thanks for your support, Suzy and Snoozie, about my work. I'm back on the frontline now and finding it very difficult. I have been assessed as particularly high risk, but high risk groups are no longer being protected, and no plans to do so no matter how much cases rise. Things are escalating here and an emergency has been declared. I am doing close contact hands on work with people in their homes: they are not wearing masks, and the masks we wear do protect others but only limited protection for ourselves, so not much reassurance when you're in a cramped, crowded room with people coughing! I would honestly feel safer in a healthcare setting where people take more precautions. People's homes seem to create a perfect storm of risk factors!

Contact tracing isn't working properly and people are struggling to get tests. Some people think the disease is a hoax. I feel very isolated. I have tried to meet up with friends, but they are no longer social distancing to the same extent and don't wear masks, so it's difficult. None of them have my level of risk. Nobody really wants to do virtual meetings any more as they are all back to normal.

I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself, to be honest, and trying not to let that translate to eating more! I have been losing weight, but it's getting more difficult with the extra stress.

How's things going with the family moving in, Suzy? Do you even have time to let us know? :smile: I hope the exercise does help with your tiredness, and doesn't have the opposite effect. It's good that there is a quiet part in the gym.

I hope you are OK, Snooozie. I was talking to another friend who lives alone about how I think there are a lot of women our age in this position, and it's definitely having an effect on our emotions.

Milove and Gail, thinking of you and hoping all is well.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Vail - i'm sending you a virtual socially distant hug because i cannot even IMAGINE the stress you're under from your work requirements.. omg! I can only think how i'd feel and the fact you're put in situations that you have no control over (people without masks, and as you said assuming in their homes THEY are fine, but what about you?? omg.. all i can say is i hope you go completely overboard with any precautions you can take for yourself.. the worst part was reading about the "patients" who don't wear masks when you are there.. WTF??? I don't care if someone has been living under a rock all this time or what their own personal feelings are about masks - EVERYONE knows that a mask only protects others from YOU.. so people not wearing a mask when you are there out of plain old respect for the fact you're putting yourself at risk to be there?? That's horrendous and so WRONG!! AND please keep us updated how you're doing... no frigging wonder youre having some woe is me moments btw... I am too and have nowhere near the reasons you do!!

The only thing i CAN relate to is the anxiety about meeting with friends who you know haven't been practising the SD'ing etc.. I find many of my friends have extended their 10 hug circle bit by bit to the point where now it seems like they have completely forgotten the 3 rules.. our numbers here have jumped as well, to the point where our province has drastically reduced the indoor/outdoor numbers and increased fines up to $10,000 because so many people are just having backyard parties and getting together in restaurants and bars as if things were perfectly normal.. and the increase is also due to people who think it's "safe" if they are with their friends... and ignore the rules. The only person I feel "safe" around right now is my pickleball partner to be honest... and by safe i mean because we have both been maintaining full protocols all summer.. never within 6 feet of each other, never touch each others equipment.. we are so used to moving around each other to maintain the 6 feet that its become automatic and i don't have to constantly "think" move away.. we just do it.. but at a recent get together with 2 friends in their backyard, i found it too stressful because they were moving like normal around each other whereas i kept backing away anytime someone got to close to me. Like you, EVERYONE is stranger danger to me so im not used at all to having anyone close to me, so its automatic to move away from everyone - but when you are with people even if its just 2... its stressful to always be thinking about are they too close.. and it can be awkward.. i feel almost guilty for moving away from them even tho they don't make me feel that way.. but you can kinda "feel" the look anyway in your own head...

i did have a nice visit with one of my good friends in her backyard on friday.. i went to drop off some disinfectant wipes i'd finally found in the store and she said would you like to stay for a coffee in the backyard.. i've been there once before and she knows how i am about SD so she had the chairs all set up far, far away and when she brought out the coffee, i went over to the garden area while she set it on the table beside my chair and went back to heor own chair 10 feet away... then i went and sat down. so that was a very enjoyable hour for me because i didn't have to worry the whole time about staying apart.. altho there ws a moment where she went to show me something on her phone and i was like stop pls.. too close... again as you said because they aren't used to SD with their own families who live in the house.. so i can totally understand your reluctance to get together with friends too.. and i KNOW i've been emotionally eating because of it... the scales prove it... i think im the highest i've been since the start of the pandemic... i do worry about becoming too isolated because of it.. expecially because when winter comes it will pretty much be impossible for me to see anyone, but its hard to find the right balance for sure. Sending you big hugs... is your son living with you btw now???
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    Another 2 miles done

Mile 1 15.49
    Lap 3 7.96

Lap 4 was a straight walk

Jogged laps 1-3 nonstop (1.5 miles)

This girl is on fire 🔥
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Well done Carol.

Vail, I really feel for you. This is a stressful and scary enough time when someone doesn’t have to go into other’s homes, so it’s just unfair that you have to take on all this extra worry. I know you’re doing everything you can to stay safe so just know that we’re thinking of you.

Snoozie, I’m glad you have a pickleball partner who feels the way you do and is keeping safe. I hate that you’re so isolated.

I think I may be one of those careless people y’all are upset with. We decided to drive to Kansas City to see my husband’s mom. She’s most likely not going to be around much longer and he wanted to see her one last time. She’s in memory care and we were able to get a 15 minute outdoors (behind plexiglass with masks) visit on Monday and Tuesday. We are wearing masks, brought food in a cooler, social distancing as much as we can but we are out and about. We’re staying with our nephew and his family. I’m torn about it all but there’s no way I’m going to tell my husband we’re not seeing his mom one last time. Ugh. I hate this pandemic!!!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Suzy - you aren't one of those careless people - going to see one loved one and making sure you maintained SD and masks is responsible and loving... i think the ones Vail and i are talking about are the ones that deliberately put her at risk by refusing to take precautions while she is in their homes to protect her... and the myriad of people here that simply refuse to acknowledge any problem and go about their lives like normal, having backyard parties with 150 people and late night bar parties... so I'm very glad you got to see hubbys mom and spend some time with her!!

I have to drop my car off at the dealership to get a brake problem fixed; took it to my mechanic but there's an advisory out for the prob so should all be under warranty (hopefully keep your fingers crossed for me!) there is no courtesy drive anymore with the pandemic.. and i google mapped it.. it's 10km from my place to the dealer.. so i'm considering trying to walk it. /i KNOW i can do 12km from the day i lost my wallet and had to backtrack the whole way LOLOL... but i've taken some bus money in case i can't make it all the way. I don't really want to get on a bus at all but hopefully if i do have to cave, or take it BACK it won't be a busy time. I may cave and order a cab instead lol.. but we'll see. At least im lucky its a gorgeous hot sunny day so i'll take it

Will check in later..