WAISTAWAYS - February 2020 Chat

Options

Replies

• Andreabroadley
    Andreabroadley Posts: 5,455 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Hi everyone! @micki48 glad you found that book! I grew up as a Catholic and St. Anthony was a saint we frequently prayed to in a 1200 square foot house with 10 residents lol.

I had an extra day of sugar yesterday, I have been so good this year. But today I am off the stuff (so far). It is hard to stop eating the stuff once I get going.

We had more snow here overnight and I shoveled a bit this morning, but luckily we have a nice young neighbour who helps us as well. I only have front steps and the sidewalk to do but it was that heavy wet stuff.

I have been doing indoor fitness videos to a lady on Youtube called Pahla B. Maybe I mentioned her before. But if so, I am sorry, I am getting a bit repetitive as I age. She is a hoot. Check her out on a day when you are housebound. She has videos for all levels and even has walking videos.

Well, back to trying not to eat more before dinner. :D

Have a good night.
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,260 Member
    Options
    @jugar I really hope you don’t mind that I am reposting this here, but I thought it was incredibly insightful and felt everyone should read it.

Liselyn posted this on the groundhog challenge.
    😘

Plateaus. One of the things I have seen over and over again while keeping the spreadsheets for all the F2F teams has convinced me that we really need plateaus. They are not something we should get upset by. When someone loses steadily for a few weeks, it seems inevitable that there is a leap back up if there is no plateau. I read the posts, and sometimes people are angry at themselves for breaking their losing streak, or suddenly things "just are not working" anymore. It feels to me, when I have had a good run of losses, that the body starts to panic if I don't give it a bit of time to adjust to the new weight. After a break of a week or two, losing goes well again. Every few pounds, the body seems to need a pause to get adjusted to this new reality, and it is unrealistic to expect steady loss through the entire amount you need to lose.

The trick is to make sure it is a plateau and not a rebound! You lose for a while and feel amazing. Then you start to have a harder time controlling portions, or you succumb to a craving. Sometimes this is a signal that you need a plateau! Stop there, eat just enough more to stay at the weight you are - calm the body panic by having one free day, or just eat a bit more for a few days. I have found those times of plateau are really healing.

So, my wish is that you have a lovely plateau whenever you need one!
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I ate all the cake today. It was a LOT of cake. But if every day was like today I would only gain one pound in five weeks apparently, so it goes to show you that one "bad" day doesn't need to be the end of the world.

I bought myself a new fitness tracker as a gift to myself. It's a Samsung. I loved my Garmin but it was very limited and the ones with comparable features to the Samsung are twice the price. So hopefully I love this one too.

We played DDR at the arcade and I was awful at it. I used to be so good, but I guess I'm like 6 or 7 years out of practice now. =P

Tomorrow I have a massage booked. I'm looking forward to it. I always carry all my stress right between my shoulders and I've been sore lately.
  • EvMakesChanges
    EvMakesChanges Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Steps: 3,100
    More soon!
    Gotta pound the pillow so I’ll be ready for the early morning drill.
    :smile:
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,092 Member
    Options
    What a flurry of great messages --

Thanks for the recommendation of Pahla B. @Andreabroadley - I will check them out. I'm always looking for something different to try. We have had a lot of new snow lately too, and today was no exception. My niece is visiting so we had a great outing (she on x-country skis, me on my trusty snowshoes) and then braved the wind and snow to go to the spa to roast ourselves in the banya and rub snow all over ourselves afterwards. But we did NOT do any shovelling!

@micki48 - thanks for re-posting, and of course it is ok. I'm glad if the plateau idea is helpful to anyone. I find it really helpful when that "body panic" starts.

@Terytha - your news is all lovely right now! Cake, a new tracker, playing DDR even if badly (I'm sure you had lots of fun anyhow!), and a massage tomorrow. Sounds fabulous.

HEADS UP!

@ddmiddleton2 - due today

Due Wednesday:
    @offitgoes
    @evelynladams527
  • ddmiddleton2
    ddmiddleton2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    ddmiddleton2:
    PW: 200.4
    CW: 200

Small loss but I will take it considering the amount of times we went out to eat over the weekend.
  • matthewsfive
    matthewsfive Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    micki48 wrote: »
    Hi All, well these past few days have been a roller coster. It started when I had a PreOP doct appointment. I was really excited because the Doctor wanted me to lose 10 more pounds since I saw him last in Nov, I lost 15, Yay me, until I jump on his scale and its showed that I only dropped 5. I noticed his scale was off, that the pointer wasn't on 0 it looked like more like 3. But i couldn't see it because I wasn't able to make out the numbers. He called me and asked me to drop 5 more pounds, before surgery. Anyway what a blow, I showed him from my scale's app that I did lose the 15 pounds. He was good with those numbers from my scale and told me I was doing a really nice job. But it was too late, all I wanted to do was cry. I have been working sooo hard to drop this weight and that fast I wanted to run to McDonalds and buy a Big Mac and have a pity party for myself. (I DIDN'T) Friday I found myself very depressed about losing weight, it's really starting to take a toll on me. With Friday night being Valentines we decided to stay home with Friends and make a really nice dinner. So I decided not to worry about calories, sugar , fat or anything. Yes I did indulge and ate more than I do, especially the chocolate. Then comes Saturday morning and nothing, the scale didn't move. I didn't expect it to but I did eat well all week and for not watching on one night, I shouldn't be surprised. I wish I wasn't so hard on myself. I Know it was only one night and it could be water weight but like everyone else you still want the scale to move downward. I started this journey Jan 2019 and I have lost 93 pounds I should be proud but I also get down on myself for not losing every week. Trust me I know that I'm doing really good and that everyone is noticing but I can't seem to take pride in what I have achieved so far. I feel like I'm stuck in mud and can't move. My goal is to be down 120 pounds by the end of June, for my Sons wedding. I hope I can do it, I just need to get out of my own head.

@jugar
    I am having surgery next week so I will not be weighing for a few week starting after this Saturday. Issues with the weight loss I need to fix with surgery. I am scared and excited at the same time. But more scared. I will try to check in during the weeks and catch up with all of your posts.

Have a really great week. Thanks for letting me vent.

@matthewsfive I am sorry to hear your week has been so hard. I know you know you have done so well getting healthy and losing weight this past year, but maybe you need some perspective about just how well you've done. In the same time that you have lost an AMAZING 93 pounds, I have lost slightly more than 25. You have done an amazing job. I remember a while back, @jugar had mentioned we should be buddies as we were both teetering above 200 pounds. I remember this point where we both made it to Onederland. I was slightly below your weight, then I watched in total awe of you week after week as you had incredible losses. I was so proud of you and what you accomplished was REALLY amazing. So, here I am, thinking you are incredible. I know my words are not going to make you not feel down about your weight loss, but I want you to know that I have been doing this alongside you for the last year and from my perspective, it was incredible. Also remember, doctor's scales are mean, nasty instruments that ALWAYS weigh you more than your home scale. I even think the nurses may have their foot on it. (no offense to any nurses here ;)

And let's talk about self-control...you wanted to run to McDonald's, but you didn't!!!! That's because you are in control, in charge and have made this weight loss journey happen. Sometimes when you are feeling down about your accomplishments, you need to work on self-talk and tell yourself all the wonderful things you have done. And I've heard it said, that you fake it until you make it. I think you've already made it. But look in that mirror and tell yourself you are marvelously wonderful, because you are.

I believe there are others here on our team who have had similiar surgery. I can imagine that you are scared, but I'm guessing ultimately you will be happy that you have had it done. I am wishing you all the best and hope you will let us know how you are doing when you can.

Thank you for all of your kind words, they mean the world to me. Thank you for taking time to write back, your awesome. If you want to buddy up I'm in. I will touch base weekly and when i'm cleared to restart this journey I will be back 100%, you can count on it.
  • matthewsfive
    matthewsfive Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    @matthewsfive -

You are so brave, and feeling so shaky - that is a tough place to be. Thanks for your rant, though - it is good to blurt it all out, and then get some other peoples' perspectives to help make your own more nuanced. @micki48 is absolutely right - you have been doing a fantastic job over this year. Getting weighed at the doctor's office always gets me upset too, but then at home I weight first thing in the morning, after having a good pee, and with only my little light nightshirt on. At the doc, it is after eating, clothed, and I always figure all that adds at least 5 pounds. You know you are doing well, and even a bounce or a plateau is sometimes going to happen. Many hugs are flying your way.

I'll put you on the support team from next week until you are through your recovery and ready to start back in again. You can still weigh in, and of course you can come in here and share news, thoughts, fears, laughs - whatever you want. Let us know how it all goes, ok?

@jugar
    Thanks for all of your support this past year. I will touch base and let you know how it all goes. Hugs flying right back at ya.
  • EvMakesChanges
    EvMakesChanges Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    @jugar 185.6
    Well, it’s moving in the right direction - slowly. It’d really be nice to go faster!! I know. Patience. My belly and thighs feel “softer”. Seems to happen when I drop a litttle more weight. I’ll take it!
    Have fun with my girl! Sure wish I could be there, too.
    Hugs for a good day. Off we go!
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Steps for 2/18 = 7331

Yesterday was a mess, the meatloaf I had intended to make for dinner took alot longer than expected ( it didn't dawn on me to check the oven to see if it was getting to the proper temp till this morning, so I hope my oven isn't broken)... Anyway, I only did a 30 minute video, I had a 45 min one on the schedule... Luckily today is a 30 min video, so I will just do 45 today... I decided to bump up the aerobics to 3 days a week, but I'm not sure I have my schedule right yet...

Anyway, did Pilates this morning, I switched instructors, I was doing a Leslie Sansone " You can do Pilates" video, but today and Monday I did a Lara Hudson Beginners Pilates video, it's 10 min segments, so I've done 2 per day... Lets just say, Lara is ALOT tougher than Leslie, but she is also better about explaining the form, and what muscles you are using and how to modify... I have 3 more Pilates videos by her, so I will be sticking with her for a bit. I can finally do a proper roll up, so thats a bonus, and the side planks are still pretty pathetic, but getting better, I guess you don't do an actual plank, but it's definitely similar.

• jugar
    Options
    ddmiddleton2:
    PW: 200.4
    CW: 200

Small loss but I will take it considering the amount of times we went out to eat over the weekend.

You are on the brink!!! You could be our next person to enter Onederland! Prepare for more party time :wink:
  • jugar
    Options
    @jugar 185.6
    Well, it’s moving in the right direction - slowly. It’d really be nice to go faster!! I know. Patience. My belly and thighs feel “softer”. Seems to happen when I drop a litttle more weight. I’ll take it!
    Have fun with my girl! Sure wish I could be there, too.
    Hugs for a good day. Off we go!

Wonderful! You do realise that you are losing a steady pound a week - or darned close? It's fantastic. You are going to keep powering through and before you know it, we'll be clothes shopping. Or wait, maybe you should count on your daughters for that. I'm hopeless!
  • jugar
    Options
    Steps for 2/18 = 7331

Yesterday was a mess, the meatloaf I had intended to make for dinner took alot longer than expected ( it didn't dawn on me to check the oven to see if it was getting to the proper temp till this morning, so I hope my oven isn't broken)... Anyway, I only did a 30 minute video, I had a 45 min one on the schedule... Luckily today is a 30 min video, so I will just do 45 today... I decided to bump up the aerobics to 3 days a week, but I'm not sure I have my schedule right yet...

Anyway, did Pilates this morning, I switched instructors, I was doing a Leslie Sansone " You can do Pilates" video, but today and Monday I did a Lara Hudson Beginners Pilates video, it's 10 min segments, so I've done 2 per day... Lets just say, Lara is ALOT tougher than Leslie, but she is also better about explaining the form, and what muscles you are using and how to modify... I have 3 more Pilates videos by her, so I will be sticking with her for a bit. I can finally do a proper roll up, so thats a bonus, and the side planks are still pretty pathetic, but getting better, I guess you don't do an actual plank, but it's definitely similar.

I love the way you roll with reality, and change your plan as needed rather than abandoning it altogether. WTG! And isn't Pilates fabulous? I'm a fairly recent convert, and it is so great as you master each hard move and start to really feel a waist! strong back! and other fun things. You've got the roll ups now, the side planks will keep getting better, I'm sure! I am good with those, but struggle with the straight leg teaser-based moves. I think my arms are too short :wink:
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Overslept this am & missed my workout. My dh announced last night he had gone down about 14 lbs, this is someone who does not exercise, eats bags and bags of chips, loads of sugar in his coffee, and pms are mostly on the couch. He also does not get bitten by mosquitoes like me. Aargh
  • jugar
    Options
    cory17 wrote: »
    Overslept this am & missed my workout. My dh announced last night he had gone down about 14 lbs, this is someone who does not exercise, eats bags and bags of chips, loads of sugar in his coffee, and pms are mostly on the couch. He also does not get bitten by mosquitoes like me. Aargh

Grrrrrrrr. Being only just over 5 feet tall, I really hate people like that. You can tell him I hate him. That way it won't be from you :wink:
  • micki48
    Options
    offitgoes wrote: »
    Wed weigh in
    PW: 175.8
    CW: 177.6
    Nothing to say. Two days ago weighed in at 175.4 Up and down, up and down...Presistence and discipline - not sure I have either one right now, but new day so maybe presistence in not giving up. At least that is something.

Been there. Done that. It’s so frustrating when you’ve been on track. And I know, for me, having an unknown gain gets me off track. Shake it off and know that our bodies fluctuate. Like @terytha said a while back. Scales don’t discriminate and weigh all our bits. So maybe it’s your daily constitution or perhaps more salt than you are use to. In any case, you have persistence and that is what it takes!! Drink that water, log your food and be sure to keep moving throughout the day and forward. Hugs to you. 🤗
  • micki48
    Options
    @AmyRobF How are you doing? Haven’t “seen” you. ❤️😘
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    @offitgoes Hang in there. These things happen but it can be hard to shake it off and move forward. The same thing happened to me last week. We can do this! Just keep trudging forward and doing our best.

@Cory17 I totally know how you feel! My husband (who is always in pretty good shape) told me one morning that he had a dream about going on a diet. He then proceeded to weight himself and then announced he had lost 5 lbs😳 ARE YOU KIDDING ME... He is nice to look at.

Got my workout in this morning, noticing I'm possibly getting some plantar fasciitis. I already ordered new shoes and they come this Friday. Hope I didn't wait too long and it just goes away. Just being careful for now. Food has been good today. My husband's 2nd grade class had a news crew come out today and they will be on the 5 o'clock news tonight. Our middle son is in his class so we are pretty excited about that! The class has been working on a forestry science program. The school district has about 100 acres of forested property on campus and the kids are really into it. My weight is not moving much this week and I am trying to not freak out and just keep at it. Not freaking out is exhausting. I have also been eating some of my exercise calories which I am trying to not do. At least I don't eat all my extra calories 😁 Going to shake it off and focus on non scale victories like about a year ago my hips were 5 inches bigger! That is a huge loss.
  • jugar
    Options
    @offitgoes Hang in there. These things happen but it can be hard to shake it off and move forward. The same thing happened to me last week. We can do this! Just keep trudging forward and doing our best.

@Cory17 I totally know how you feel! My husband (who is always in pretty good shape) told me one morning that he had a dream about going on a diet. He then proceeded to weight himself and then announced he had lost 5 lbs😳 ARE YOU KIDDING ME... He is nice to look at.

Got my workout in this morning, noticing I'm possibly getting some plantar fasciitis. I already ordered new shoes and they come this Friday. Hope I didn't wait too long and it just goes away. Just being careful for now. Food has been good today. My husband's 2nd grade class had a news crew come out today and they will be on the 5 o'clock news tonight. Our middle son is in his class so we are pretty excited about that! The class has been working on a forestry science program. The school district has about 100 acres of forested property on campus and the kids are really into it. My weight is not moving much this week and I am trying to not freak out and just keep at it. Not freaking out is exhausting. I have also been eating some of my exercise calories which I am trying to not do. At least I don't eat all my extra calories 😁 Going to shake it off and focus on non scale victories like about a year ago my hips were 5 inches bigger! That is a huge loss.

I love the idea that your husband could have a dream about dieting and lose 5 pounds - I HOPE he's nice to look at, otherwise there is no good reason to put up with that! Too much :lol: His 2nd grade class on TV, though - that's great. Of course, it is because he gets them excited about the forest and I'll bet there are a lot of happy parents out there.

YOU! Losing 5 inches around the hips beats sleeplosing 5 pounds any day. You're doing great - even if you eat a few of the exercise calories once in a while. :heart:
This discussion has been closed.