Downsizers Team Chat - August 2020

Options

Replies

• Z10Rtza
    Z10Rtza Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    pandygirl1 wrote: »
    @mari_moulin,
    I would like to join your step group as a beginner. I have trouble with walking, but will use your guide of doing 5 minutes, 4 times a day and go from there. No guarantees on how far I'll get by the end of the month. But definitely won't get very far just sitting.

That's so good! There are also workouts on YouTube that they are sort of walking and they are funny.
    A good thing to do is to choose 2 songs that really motivate you. Once you pick them you put them on YouTube, spotify, you download them, whatever fits you but that you can listen to them.
    You press on to the song just when you are going to walk. You walk those 2 songs and when they are finished you go back home. You put them back a second time and you have walked a bit.
    Next time 3 songs.
    4 songs
    And so on
    I hope you try it 😘
  • Z10Rtza
    Z10Rtza Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Steps 1 August 9.918 steps
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,100 Member
    Options
    Two more new members will be along (hopefully!) right away! @Nana22019 and @TASCascalho just joined up, and they are now the last new members we will accept. Let's go for August!!!
  • pandygirl1
    pandygirl1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    @Marigorringo, I'll give it a try, and see how it goes. Let you know how it went towards the end of the of the first week.
  • pandygirl1
    pandygirl1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Will start tomorrow on my walking to get my steps.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,100 Member
    Options
    Hi all - it seems that @summer_jt did not get the message about their team assignment. I have sent a message, but please reach out and make sure they find you --- Thanks!
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,510 Member
    Options
    pandygirl1 wrote: »
    @mari_moulin,
    I would like to join your step group as a beginner. I have trouble with walking, but will use your guide of doing 5 minutes, 4 times a day and go from there. No guarantees on how far I'll get by the end of the month. But definitely won't get very far just sitting.

This is a great idea! One of our other members breaks their walks into 5 minute chunks and it works great for them.
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,510 Member
    Options
  • draby2011
    draby2011 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Username: Draby2011
    Weigh In Day: Saturday
    PW (Previous Weight): 273
    CW (Current Weight): 244.6
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,451 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our awesome team @Nana22019 and @TASCascalho :) When you get a chance please introduce yourself ...Thank you :)
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    draby2011 wrote: »
    Username: Draby2011
    Weigh In Day: Saturday
    PW (Previous Weight): 273
    CW (Current Weight): 244.6

Great loss.....Congrats :)
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    August 1st -Steps- 6000
  • leeniekat
    leeniekat Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm Kat. I joined the Downsizers in May 2020, after having been on/off MFP for years under an old account. I'm 46, not married/no children, work in finance (up until quarantine, way too many hours per week), and I live in Brooklyn, NY. I joined the challenge with the original goal of losing 100lbs and I weighed 231.8 at the time. My lowest weight that I can remember is 140 when I did weight watchers core program in 2007. I don't know how obtainable that goal is 13 years later but at my height (5'.05"), I need to do everything I can to get there.
    • What are your favorite workouts? Skiing is my absolute favorite, but I'm pretty limited with how often I can do that. I love to dance (like @Marigorringo also Zumba and Latin dance) and I plan to start adult gymnastics when I reach a certain goal weight. I've been biking and walking a lot lately, and I am coming around to appreciate resistance band workouts.
    • What are your favorite sports drinks (if you drink any)? I don't drink a sports drink, but I do drink Mio water flavoring drops. My favorites are the Iced Vanilla Java with caffeine for the morning and Orchard Apple with vitamins or Sweet Tea for the rest of the day. It lets me feel like I'm having something other than water while keeping the calories and carbs pretty low to non-existent.
    • Do you have a favorite diet that you go by or do you just count calories?Mostly count calories. I've been on Weight Watchers through so many different versions but this latest one I can't get my head wrapped around. I find my body reacts better when I limit carbs so I track my macros and try to eat as clean as possible, but my main goal is CICO.
    • How have you stayed motivated to keep losing/gaining weight? This past month was a struggle. One day, I'd be feeling great and my motivation was high and the next would be the complete opposite. I went out and bought a couple of dry erase boards with colorful markers to keep right next to my desk where I work every day with my goals for the week and a calendar to track when I weigh in and also to remind me to post here! The accountability of keeping in touch with our team has kept me from completely going off the rails.
    • Why are you on this journey? It started with ski boots! I have an annual week-long ski trip with my friends from Florida. If not for the pandemic, we would have gone skiing in March, which led me to think about our 2019 trip. I had a miserable time because I was overweight, out of shape, everything hurt, and for the first time since I learned how, I couldn't control my skiing and was afraid. This is something that I've always looked forward to so much and because I was lazy and unhealthy, I lost the ability to do it. It's bigger than just that, but that was the thing that made me start to make a change in April.
    • What pushed you to start your journey? While I was working, I never slowed down enough to take the state of my physical health seriously. I have a handful of autoimmune disorders that are exacerbated by being obese, and my health/weight has really affected my quality of life. I'm not as social as I once was, I'm not as active as I was and I wasn't taking care of myself the way I used to. I'm already middle-aged, it's only going to get harder and I think I'm worth the extra effort that it will take to get myself back into shape.
    • What are your triggers and what motivates you the most? I know this is so bad to admit, but the numbers on the scale. I know they fluctuate. I know weight loss isn't linear. I know these things. But a gain will make me miserable and a loss will put me in a great mood. I'm trying to make activity goals more of a priority than scale goals this month. fingers crossed!
    • What do you expect to gain from your team? I've already gained a lot from this team! The understanding, the encouragement, the belief that I can do something just because I say I want to is so touching. I've learned a lot from other people sharing their experiences, successes, and challenges.
    • How can we make our team better? Honestly I'm tempted to go check the ideas lounge to help with an answer on this one! :D To me, everything is already there. The motivators, the people who can relate to my issues, the challenges, the encouragement, the ideas, the recipes - the resources are all here in this challenge. It's just a matter of making sure that I'm putting in the effort to utilize them.
  • leeniekat
    leeniekat Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Starting weight for August: 211.0
    Weigh-in day: Wednesday

Steps for August 1: 7,866
  • mari_moulin
    mari_moulin Posts: 3,717 Member
    Options
    r1xs9mwtef50.jpeg

AUGUST STEP CHALLENGE

Hello Downsizers!! Our August Step Challenge has officially started!! It has started today and will run through Saturday Aug 29th!

Here are our steppers so far....

@19shmoo69
    @Lindamtuck2018
    @megan_smartiepants1970
    @rhaaa
    @missGYST
    @draby2011
    @mari_moulin
    @marigorringo
    @pandygirl1

If you were on last month I am not automatically rolling over so please kindly let me know that you want to continue on with the step challenge.

If you want to join in on the stepping fun, please just message me here by tagging me using @mari_moulin and asking to join the step challenge.

ktq96mx3ycfx.png
  • mari_moulin
    Options
    Hello Team. My name is Mari and I am co-captain with @lindamtuck2018 (Linda). We are here to help you out in any way we can. If you need help with anything group or team related or any issues with spreadsheets or if you need to be excused from weigh in at any point, we can help sort that out for you. I am taking care of the step challenge so if you want to join let me know or if you see I missed your steps you can contact me so I can fix that. Also helping us with our team spirit are @Marigorringo (Ziortza) and @Megan_smartiepants1970 (Megan) who are here to keep our motivation and team participation going. Thanks for out your help ladies 🥰

A little about me, I am 41 years old mom of 3 boys (2 teens and one preschooler) and married to a great and supportive guy. I've struggled with my weight my whole life and am finally very close to my goal. I've been stuck at my current weight range since last December and am desperately trying to start losing again. I’ve managed to slowly get the trend back down but I’m still struggling. I have to keep in mind the it’s a life long journey and not a quick fix so I will never stop trying to better my health and fitness.

My stats:
    5’6”
    HW: 338.8
    LW: 163.9
    CW: 188.2

August goals:

•Achieve at least 30 active minutes daily.
    •Make it to the gym at least 4 times a week.
    •Drink at least 2L water daily.
    •Reach at least 10,000 steps daily.
    •No Carbs for dinner.
    •Do IF for at least 6 days a week.
  • mari_moulin
    Options
    Intro questionnaire.

What is your favorite workout?
    Running. I hate doing it but I love completing it. It makes me feel so accomplished when I finish my running goal.

What are your favorite sports drinks (if you drink any) ?

Good ol’fashioend water but I also indulge in a Flavored drink provided at my gym. I forgot the name of it but it’s got electrolytes and vitamins in it.

Do you have a favorite diet that you go by or Do you just count calories?

I tend to count calories in and out but also occasionally do intermittent fasting.

How have you stayed motivated to keep losing/gaining weight?

Joining fitness groups and workout classes have helped and having a friend that pushes me to go when I’m not feeling like it. Also setting myself realistic goals to reach so it doesn’t feel impossible to reach.

Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start your journey?

I want to better my health. I want to be more active with my kids and join in on family fun rather than sitting on the sidelines and just watch.

What are your triggers and what motivates you the most?

The number on the scale is my trigger and my motivator. If I see it going up it triggers action. If i see it going down motivates me to keep going.

What do you expect to gain from your team?

Support and motivation. Especially When I am feeling down and unable to succeed or stuck or down In the dumps that’s when I need to be lifted and supported and dragged kicking and screaming.

How can we make our team better?

An active team works better for me. Ideally I would like it’s members to come in and chat and share their experiences rather than just come in and give a number and not see them again for another week. I want to see people’s opinions on various health And fitness related topics and be able to have conversations without people getting upset and offended and just be able to accept others differences and opinions and choices.
  • mari_moulin
    Options
    Aright team that’s all the time I have for now. I will be back this evening to check in with everyone a little bit more individually. Welcome to all newcomers and I am so looking forward to crushing this month with all of you. Hugs team 🥰

💪🏻❤️👍🏻
  • TASCascalho
    TASCascalho Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi team and thank you for having me!

My name is Tiago, I am 33 years old and I live in Portugal.

Been a member of MyFitnessPal since September 2013. Currently on my longest streak, 350 days.

I was always chubby and had a lot of issues with my weight, especially being fat and having man boobs. In reality, I never wanted a six pack. Always wanted to be lean enough to not worry about about not looking so fat under my clothes.

Since 2013 made several attempts to loose weight. All failed. Last year I decided to really commit myself. Started learning, made my own diet plan, made my own gym plan and everything was doing well until this Corona thing and all gyms were closed and I was stuck home. I should've been smarter but instead, I neglected all diet and exercise. Corona is not an excuse. Cannot be an excuse.

Yesterday I hit 350 days and decided to reboot everything.

Redid my meal plan, my workouts and on my way to reshape my mentality.

Best shape of my life:
    2nd of May.
    78.7 Kg
    14,65% Bodyfat.
    5& Visceral Fat

Today:
    1st of August:
    87.7 Kg
    21,3% Bodyfat
    7% Visceral Fat

May the force be with me and everyone else in MFP to reach their objectives.
    If there's anything I can help with, just let me know!

Intro questionnaire.

What is your favorite workout?

Cardio, especially running. Whatever makes me sweat!

What are your favorite sports drinks (if you drink any) ?

None. Rule number #1 for weight loss: Do not drink your calories. : )

Do you have a favorite diet that you go by or Do you just count calories?

High protein diet plan. I count calories and macros.

How have you stayed motivated to keep losing/gaining weight?

Usually I am a one man show but now I want to start helping others and helping myself. This way I believe I will be more motivated than ever.

Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start your journey?

Weight loss basically. Even though I always had some athletic potential, I was always overweight 100+ Kg and lazy. I got tired of hiding the fat under my loose clothes.

What are your triggers and what motivates you the most?

Seeing the results. Seeing the scale going down and looking in the mirror and see me getting thinner.

What do you expect to gain from your team?

Motivation. I get super motivated when I can help others achieve their goals. I am more a giver than a taker basically.

How can we make our team better?

By being supportive and help in whatever way possible!
  • rhaaa
    rhaaa Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    August 1 6996 steps.
This discussion has been closed.