Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 3,191 Member
    Flour tortillas are usually about 100 calories each. Corn tortillas are a bit less. Made with lard? Assume the carnitas were full fat. Not drained or de-fatted. Was there cheese involved?

Home made Tex Mex is controllable. But restaurants or kits are challenging. It’s the food of people who work incredibly hard in merciless heat thus burning lots of calories. Not the first choice for sedentary city folk!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,131 Member
    Unknown how made but the same company/brand large flour tortillas when reduced in weight to 33g (the weight of the ones in the kit) come up as 102 Cal each so it sounds spit on.

Kit at 1500 doesn't sound too far off... 800 for tortillas, about 500 to 550 for the 280g meat pack including sauce (very little visible fat), 40 for salsa (125g), leaves about 100 to 150 for token veggies mostly low cal except for some corn kernels. Kit at sub 1440 sounds low :) adding up plus spice pack probably cloaer to 1550!

Nursing it along so far! The 100 Cal of cauli rice definitely helped with the visual. Taste is not bad but not my first choice obviously!🤷‍♂️
  • Yoolypr
    Packaged Tex Mex quality is like having Italian spaghetti or ravioli in a can. Or canned Chinese meals. No comparison to the real thing. Frozen gets closer but still not as good as doing it yourself.
  • PAV8888
    It was a frozen kit :wink:
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,761 Member
    Supper tonight was a veggie burger from Harveys - no cheese (not being virtuous just forgot :) ) - getting back into the swing of being home. Did have some green soup from the freezer for lunch though :)

I like Tex/Mex - find it holds for a long time - but it is dear on the calorie front.
  • PAV8888
    We
  • Yoolypr
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    We

Oui?
  • lauriekallis
    Mais our, monster 🙂

Getting my head around doing a little bit of pre-cutting. Not quickly🙂 but I’m roasting a bunch of beets ($2.49 for a 10 pound bag!!) making a batch of green soup and perhaps some white beans in broth (with kale and carrots and cherry tomatoes) today…

Tomorrow I have this plan for breakfast Dahl (a yellow Dow with squash and spinach and mellow spicing)

That might be it this time
  • lauriekallis
    Lol… that was supposed to read pre-cooking … not pre-cutting! NOT going to be doing any of that! 😳
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,752 Member
    Meal prep for weeks lunches:

White chicken chili (light on beans), with shredded Mexican cheese blend and sour cream.
    Celery, cucumber and radishes with helluva Good French onion dip.
    Sugar-free lime jello.

Tomorrow night dinner: cheesy scrambled eggs with ham and onions.
    Tuesday: Taco bowls (seasoned lean ground beef, onion, lettuce, shredded cheese, sour cream, garlic Hot sauce and salsa).
    Wednesday: cheesy scrambled eggs with ham and onions.

I'll have to look at my calories and macros and fill in around the edges. I have some protein shakes and Greek yogurt cups.
  • PAV8888
    edited September 2023
    We... digressed yesterday! Got together with some friends and kept it to just these eight pieces of spicy salmon sushi... admittedly the pieces incorporate some unknown Calorific sauces... but way less than I would normally consume!

b6fmhxx62n30.png

The remainder of the carnitas... became shepherd-pie-ish for today with the addition of a pouch of mashed potatoes!!!! And the tortillas (there's still a couple of them left) became snack wrappers for 70 Cal turkey pepperoni sticks!!!!
  • lauriekallis
    I thought this was cake of some sort - each slice topped with a cherry :)
  • PAV8888
    edited September 2023
    was a dab of hot sauce inside a tiny tiny and thinly sliced jalapeno ring on top of the thin but very tasty piece of melt in your mouth salmon with dabs of evil Calories sauce!

v5okvfvat27l.png

I admit to being jelly of other person's "sushi" spread... but wasn't actually ACTIVELY hungry after eating mine...

v9ndxyvlrlxy.png

• lauriekallis
    Fine work, PAV!
  • Yoolypr
    Nic- I’m so impressed with your lunch planning. I wish I’d done that when I was working. Mainly my modus operandi was grab-and-go or go out for lunch. But I guess going out is not an option for night shifters.

I’m envious of PAVs sushi 🍣 feast!
  • PAV8888
    :mrgreen: HEY! :mrgreen: Hey: I only got eight baby pieces--carefully nursed, spaced apart and savored!!! The "real"(tm) feasts belonged to the others!!!! :grimace:
  • Yoolypr
    edited September 2023
    Leftover tortillas can be used for what’s called breakfast tacos here. Scrambled eggs, shredded potatoes with onion and maybe some bacon or chorizo all wrapped in a warmed tortilla. A sprinkle of cheese, top with some salsa - red or green. Enjoy 😊 wmlam2124w4c.jpeg
  • PAV8888
    Yes, those are good.....and counting Calories potentially consumed am i not glad that my tortillas are gone already!!! :wink: I do like them breakfast burritos and they are not terrible but I can easily hit 600+ Cal with them!!!🤷‍♂️
  • lauriekallis
    But they are pretty tasty - and filling - if you give yourself time to feel the fullness - which I'm not always good at :)
  • PAV8888
    yes... the "time" thing! :flushed: