Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,990 Member
    Options
    Those breakfast tacos are really really really good made with fresh homemade tortillas! Lots of local tortillerias and tamales here.

The hardcore Texans butter warm tortillas and use as bread or biscuits with a meal.
    Unfortunately those guys are no longer hard working cowboys which results in giant stomachs covered with enormous fancy belt buckles to hold up their jeans.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Trying to clear the fridge of perishables today. There’s lots of lettuce, some yogurt, a sad banana.....
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    Options
    A fridge banana would be a sad banana indeed! But the cause is righteous!

I have bunny hopped to the realm of "well preserved" bunnies today!!!

I opened up *the* 100 fl oz = 2.84L can of diced beets that was languishing in the pantry "just in case" and boiled up the 738g of baby potatoes that were hiding in a 680g bag!!!

So far I've paired 775g of beets (about 39.25% of the can's solids) with 2/3 of the potatoes, some lemon pepper seasoning, oil and vinegar and I'm having a ginormous "preserved bunny" salad!

The rest of the potatoes and beets are waiting for further inspiration--and some digestion!

Still coming up with ideas on what to do with the can!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    That’s a whole lotta beets!
    https://insanelygoodrecipes.com/canned-beet-recipes/
    Maybe try some of these recipes?
  • scoutmom1981
    scoutmom1981 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My husband made dinner tonight. Grilled chicken and veggies. He also made yams (sweet potatoes). My son had to message me while I was still at work to tell me how awesome the yams were. “And they are lower in calories” awesome! I get home and see that a serving is 168grams and only 70 calories. Wow. That’s great. I put some on the plate and take one bite. YUCK! Apparently the things that make them amazing are the cinnamon butter and brown sugar; which I didn’t put on mine. I couldn’t eat more than 2 bites. Gave the rest to the kid and he ate them up after modifying them! 🤦‍♀️
  • PAV8888
    edited September 2023
    Options
    You can mash them... with a drop or two of liquid sucralose (0 Cal).. and a bit of 0% greek yogurt (50 Cal per 87.5g)... MAYBE a sprinkling of sugar (40 Cal for 10g) when serving... cinnamon by itself is pretty "cheap" (4 Cal per gr).... so you could modify them too--just in a different way! :wink:

but it IS just amazing how the "extras"/"sides" add up! :lol:
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Pups opted for a cone from the ice cream truck.

I must admit I got the first lick but I did not go in for a second one after their ginormous tongues had their way with it!
    hriqvai1c030.jpeg
    4du8x3raa3to.jpeg
  • PAV8888
    Options
    LAURIE! I hate to break the news to you... but that's DEFINITELY a good way to NOT have your share of ice cream!!!! PLUS, I'm 'glad' your fingers made it out intact!!! <chortle chortle chortle> I am SURE I would have had a LOT of huffing and puffing directed towards me had I pulled a similar stunt (you HAVE TO HIDE your ice cream unless you're ready to share you know!!!!) :blush:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I know - amazing my fingers made it out alive :) It was so much fun to give them the treat it was worth the risk. I LOVE having Reese here full time these days. He brings so much joy.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Good thing about the "bump" is I get to precook - like I had originally planned, but failed. Tonight's batch is beans with broth. Great northern beans cooked from dry in vegetable broth, with cherry tomatoes, carrots and kale. Perhaps white wine? Perhaps some mint? Some olive oil? (thinking of Dante's green bean recipe. I'm thinking maybe I should even add some potatoes to round it out a bit? But maybe not. ???? Such tough decisions :)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Precooked premeasured meals are awesome! 😎

• PAV8888
    Options
    You guys are hiding! I made a TUB of soup using a 750g of frozen "soup veggies" and 280g of (ready to go south from sitting around) onion. Plus the last pack of konjac rice. Not konjac sticky rice at 180 Cal per pack but "regular" konjac rice at 105 Cal per pack. And some "knorr" type soup and some "no salt" broth and some parsley and some chili peppers... actually turned out semi decent... to supplement less descent (in terms of calories) things such as fig bars and errant oatmeal cookies.... the last are especially and definitely NOT decent for calories!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    How did I miss this post PAV!
    That’s a full on tub of soup… I’m always happy having a big batch of soup like that around because if that is the reliable every day type thing that you know you’re getting your veggies in so even if you get a little bit errant around the edges you’re still doing OK on the nutrition front.

I’m midway through making this week’s green soup… A bit later today because younger son is working and won’t be here until 11 tonight.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Ya know... aprons off to Alexandra because CHOPPING is a lot of WORK! :hushed:

I mean the soup was fun because I (mostly) used pre-cleaned, pre-washed, pre-cut, pre-frozen veggies and such! :wink:

But the "potato" salad I did today took FOREVER!!!! weigh the potatoes, boil the potatoes, cool the potatoes, boil the eggs, cool the eggs, peel the eggs, weigh the eggs, cut the potatoes, weigh the cut potatoes, un-cover the already pre-processed canned (tinned) beets, put some in there, weigh the added beets, find the pickled veggies, cut the pickled veggies, add the pickled veggies, weigh the pickled veggies, find the mustard powder, weight the mustard powder, add the mustard powder, sriracha, Greek yogurt.... and all this for a SALAD?!?!?!?! :astonished::rage:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Not just any old salad though :)
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Beans and broth - again :) Most of the last batch is in the freezer - and since housemate and I are sick I'm thinking I'll just make another batch for us to eat during the week. Definitely potatoes in there this time.
  • PAV8888
    edited September 2023
    Options
    No vegetarian updates from COVID-land as of yet?
    How are the puppies?
    Their owners?

Is Yooly hitting the high end night-spots on the ship?
    Hitting every port of excursions?

What's going on here today? Japanese fried rice with chicken yakitory pouch (about 425 Cal); bag of cauli rice (about 125 Cal), bag of konjac sticky rice (about 180 Cal), bag of plant based shredded meat substitute = jackfruit in a pouch!

350g of "jackfruit"--not sure why jack has a fruit--claims to be about 60 Cal (box lists 25Cal per 140g) but this totally doesn't jive with the raw jackfruit entries and also doesn't jive with other sources of similar sounding stuff... so in the end I went with trader joe's green jackfruit in brine entry coming in at about 114 Cal for the bag).

Jack (and his fruits) seem to be an interesting filler that blended in nicely, especially at $1 a box on sale with a maximum of 10 :wink: )

5g of canola spray and a heavy hand of lemon pepper (10g)... made a goodly quality and quantity of fried rice-like stuff :wink: for about 900 Cal.
  • lauriekallis
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Still feeling relatively yucky. Every day...green soup...brothy beans...smoothy...
    Only one pup here. My GodPup went to a friend's farm for a week because his owner was supposed to be in Edmonton and I was supposed to have surgery yesterday.

Broke down yesterday and went to a McDonald's drive through. Ice cream cones all around. Thank goodness - all this healthy food is killing us :wink:
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when you feel yucky, an ice cream cone is just what you need.

• PAV8888
    Options
    One but not more than two cones a day to keep the doctor away! 🤣 if owner still stuck at home not performing why pup export?😲 or is he back touring?