WaistAways - April 2021 Team Chat

Options

Replies

• eggfreak
    eggfreak Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I did well years ago on a book called 'The Sonoma Diet' - whenever I tried it again later on, it just didn't work again but I do still remember some things from it and one of those is...starting out for the first 10 day you don't eat anything sweet - not fruit or yogurt - as a way to try to shake the sugar craving. I'm going to start that today - the sweetest thing being roasted red peppers. I've been indulging far too much with sweet stuff. And when I do reintroduce some fruit - it won't be a lot and only in the morning.
    @PlaneMonkey hope that wind dies down quick - sounds scary.
    @gak71 there's our challenge for the rest of April, stringing some great weekends together - I'm with you on that!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,227 Member
    Options
    @PlaneMonkey
    Yikes! That sounds scary - the wind today was crazy here too. The horses were tearing all over the place getting each other all worked up! I hope that your worries turn out to have been unnecessary :grimace: that can be really scary. And the paperwork is the worst kind of drudgery.

@graceojo999
    Great job! That was a good whoosh to get you going. Keto plus good long walks will take you far in more ways than one!

@ashleycarole86
    Your days are getting nice and long now - all the more time to be able to get outside and enjoy walking and golf - even with your bag on your back. That is a good hike in itself, I'm sure!

@gak71
    Weekends can really get you - but it is good that you are eating less than you used to. You'll feel that as your "normal" and then be able to gradually cut back even more. Give it time - but don't give up! Some people find that setting their weigh-in day as Monday makes staying on track over the weekend easier. Well, not easier, but it keeps the consequences on your mind and may help inspire you to stay more on track. The day before weigh-in can be full of all kinds of good behaviour and exercise :lol:
    deniners2 wrote: »
    If I don’t have a loss next week, I may take another break. I don’t have the competitive spirit now. 🙄
    I am wondering if the competitive spirit is what you need to be able to keep going. Comparing with others, trying to help the team do well, etc. are not, I hope, the main thing for most of us. Certainly the competition aspect can be a good (and fun) extra motivation when we need it, but the team support and encouragement when things are not going how you want them to can help even more. I know there are long periods when you might not lose, but sticking with the team is one way you can do something for yourself, and we can do something for you. Our little voices can be in your head when you're reaching for that extra helping or snack, or when you're just not feeling like getting out for a walk or doing some exercise. Just reading everyone's posts every day helps with that! It is not about winning or losing, and I hope you'll stay with it even when you're not losing. I'm curious, though - how close are you to your goal weight? It can get harder the closer you get to goal. I spent several months at interim goals on the way down, and it seemed to go better that way, rather than trying to lose constantly. Let us know how we can help - even if you still really want a break for a while. Hugs to you!
  • PlaneMonkey
    PlaneMonkey Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The wind has died down and the pole is still mostly upright. The phone company was a no-show so I guess we keep on waiting and hoping for someone to show up before it tumbles down!
    I managed to stay on plan and not give in to stress eating. Dinners for the week are planned and should keep me on track. Hoping for an all green month still!
    I bought my bathing suit! We shall see if I picked the right size when it shows up. 😉

• jugar
    Options
    The wind has died down and the pole is still mostly upright. The phone company was a no-show so I guess we keep on waiting and hoping for someone to show up before it tumbles down!
    I managed to stay on plan and not give in to stress eating. Dinners for the week are planned and should keep me on track. Hoping for an all green month still!
    I bought my bathing suit! We shall see if I picked the right size when it shows up. 😉

You can do it! Green all month! And I'm really glad it did not blow down (yet). Hope that the phone company gets it together. You maybe need to sound more panicky and out of control when you call!
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Made keto coffee cake on the weekend and gave half to a friend. It looks funny but tastes pretty good. I am keeping to one piece a day. May freeze the rest. I am mostly on track with my healthy habits. One I am having trouble with is sleeping at least 7 hours. I have been having trouble falling and staying asleep.
  • sunny9847
    sunny9847 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Met all goals today. Steps 12655
  • jugar
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    Made keto coffee cake on the weekend and gave half to a friend. It looks funny but tastes pretty good. I am keeping to one piece a day. May freeze the rest. I am mostly on track with my healthy habits. One I am having trouble with is sleeping at least 7 hours. I have been having trouble falling and staying asleep.

OK - now I'm curious. What is keto coffee cake? Sounds like you have a good plan for enjoying it too :smiley:

For sleeping, there are some very effective breathing patterns you can try. Breathe in a full (really full) breath in a count of 4. Hold it for 6-7. Breathe out for 7-8. Get really, really empty. Hold if you can for 2-3. Do the whole pattern for about 2-3 minutes. The counts can be approximately seconds, or by your heartbeat, or whatever works for you. If the holds are too long at first, go ahead and adjust them, but they are important. Blowing out all the air to be as empty as possible is also important, and it is a trigger to relax your body. Give it a try and see if it works - I find it super helpful. There are versions of this, the most common being 4-7-8 with no hold on the empty part, but go ahead and experiment.

I'm off to sleep now :sleeping:
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    @KellyBgetsfit Happy Birthday! Hope you are all doing better now.

@eggfreak It sounds like heading back to the office could be a good thing. Hopefully you will find caregivers for your parents if you haven't already done that 🙂

I just finished up spring break and I was really letting my habits slide by the end of it. Sunday was my reset day. Did my shopping and meal prep. I actually ate enough protein for the first time in a while. I also got to go hiking with my husband and did my ballet workout. Also, I haven't had a chip in about 5 days!!! Those are the good things. The bad news, my scale is up as its the time of the month. Worse news, I lost the main diamond from my wedding ring! So sad 😞 We have looked all over and taken sinks apart. It is nowhere to be found 😭.
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Good morning team!
    Yesterday was good, today will be also...

This morning I did 20 min video and 7 min of hiit... and food was on point...

Feels good when I am doing what I know I need to do! Lol

Have a great day ! 😀

Happy belated birthday Kelly !

Sorry about your ring Kristie, that really sucks, hope it turns up!
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    @conleywoods Oh Kristi! I’m so sorry about your ring. I know how upsetting that must be. It might seem silly, but you could try the St. Anthony prayer. There is a formal version and a more familiar. It was worked for me more than once.

Tony, Tony,
    look around.
    Something’s lost
    and must be found!

You can google it. If you want to read more.

@Gidgitgoescrazy Vikki, glad to hear you are back on track and feeling good. Keep up the great work.

I’m still here. Chugging along. I need a new approach, but I need to be willing to commit to it. I guess the important thing is the still here part.

With last Saturday’s weigh in, I am actually 8 pounds above my lowest weight of 188 that I achieved right as the pandemic began. I’ve been telling myself I’ve been maintaining over the last year. But if I’m being honest with myself, gaining 8 pounds is not really maintaining. 😐

This is my more challenging time of year to lose, historically. So, I need a plan. I will do a little research to see what I can do to help myself get losing again.

Friday we head to the beach 🏖. It will be the first time my whole family will be together since last August. It will be my granddaughter’s first visit to the beach. My first time in 9 years. I never made it to the ocean 2 weeks ago when we helped him move. Too busy. So, I will do the best I can food and exercise-wise but my focus is on enjoying them all and eating good seafood. @jugar I may be taking an excused weigh in. (I never have before) Not sure I want to use my son’s scale. Different scales are not always nice or too nice. I suppose I could weigh in on Friday morning before we go. That might make the most sense holding me accountable. 🤔

Enough ranting. I hope everyone makes it a good day, especially me. 🙂
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,191 Member
    Options
    @conleywoods Hope you find your ring... super heartbreaking.
    @micki48 Bet you're getting excited for your beach day with your family!! By the way, I think I'd like to join the next step challenge.. I've been clocking some mega miles on my feet and would like to post it somewhere.

My husband just hit a great milestone this morning and entered the 250's... he and I basically weigh the same right now so it's like having a built in accountability buddy. His efforts play off mine and vice versa.... it's really leaving me no excuse but to stay on track :)

I realize I have to build the habits despite the choices he (or others around me) make, but I'm enjoying riding the wave for now.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    lorib642 wrote: »

OK - now I'm curious. What is keto coffee cake? Sounds like you have a good plan for enjoying it too :smiley:

For sleeping, there are some very effective breathing patterns you can try. Breathe in a full (really full) breath in a count of 4. Hold it for 6-7. Breathe out for 7-8. Get really, really empty. Hold if you can for 2-3. Do the whole pattern for about 2-3 minutes. The counts can be approximately seconds, or by your heartbeat, or whatever works for you. If the holds are too long at first, go ahead and adjust them, but they are important. Blowing out all the air to be as empty as possible is also important, and it is a trigger to relax your body. Give it a try and see if it works - I find it super helpful. There are versions of this, the most common being 4-7-8 with no hold on the empty part, but go ahead and experiment.

I'm off to sleep now :sleeping:

Thanks for the tips. I will give it a try

The coffee cake I made was with almond flour and an artificial sweetener erythritol. With cinnamon
  • jugar
    Options
    Tuesday has sure gone my in a flash! I got seriously wet, filthy, and had some laughs giving my horse a bath today - outside in the wind, with construction going on next door, and his usual OMG!!! about everything. He behaves just fine, but he's certainly never really calm. So I get all kinds of soapy horse grime all over me, but by the end he was somewhat cleaner. It will take more than one bath to get him truly clean, but I wanted to get through it quickly so we'd have time for some training. He was royally peeved that I would not let him roll in the dirt after his bath - he had a hilarious fit of head shaking, bucking, and general stomping around about that. Silly beast.

@micki48 No problem about the excused weigh-in this week. Changing scales is too uncertain, and you should just relax and enjoy your little one's first day on the beach. It is amazing watching children enjoy the beach - I miss those times with my kids! My son was especially wild about chasing gulls. He could run so hard all day long it never ceased to amaze me. He didn't like the water so much, but running on sand was his jam. Be sure to tell us all about it!

@ashleycarole86 That is wonderful about your partnership with your husband - a little inspiration, support, and competition right at home in the kitchen is a great thing. My husband and I were losing at the same time for a while, but we had to develop a special formula. He is 14" taller than I am, so we decided that the most important number was the % of weight we lost rather than the pounds. Then I didn't feel so bad about his 5 pounds being the same as my 2.5. It still wasn't fair how many more calories he got to eat, though! Hmmmph!

I'm heading for the exercise bike so that I can enjoy an episode of something. Quick reminder first -

Wednesday weigh-ins:
    @PlaneMonkey
    @AshenMoon
    @EvMakesChanges
    @KellyBgetsFit
    @Pearl4686

Late weigh-ins: (let me know if I missed it!)
    @mbakhtiaruz
    @smaidiigaa
  • Steph1498
    Steph1498 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    @micki48 I hope you enjoy the beach that sounds like a great time!

@conleywoods any luck yet on the ring? I hope you find it!

@PlaneMonkey your photos look amazing great progress in a short time frame! Congrats!!
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I was home today from work to take my daughter to the dentist. I spent more time looking for the missing diamond and it is still missing. Some time later this week my husband and I will head to the jewelers with the rest of the ring to figure out what the options are. It's a pear shaped diamond so only 3 prongs which makes them vulnerable to falling out. I really baby it so I'm not sure if I should pick a different shape! I don't know if they can put a different shape in my setting. I guess we'll find out. Eating was really good today and I did a nice long walk with my mother in law. I walked through the same stretch the day I lost my ring. We have a ton of Mica in our soil so the road has about 5,000 sparkles every where. It's torture because non of them seem to be my diamond and I can't check all of them!
  • sunny9847
    sunny9847 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Met all goals today. Steps 12945
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Well today was productive. My husband and I spent time out in the yard working. I was actually out there about 4 hours I think. I love working out there. It’s immediate gratification when mowing the lawn. I’m setting up two raised beds. Lots of debris clean up. Had a guy here putting guards on our gutters too. So many trees. So many leaves. This is supposed to keep the leaves out. Anyway, the yard looks great. Makes me happy. Ended up with over 15k steps. Logged my food. Was under calories. 🙂

@eggfreak I don’t know where you are with finding help/care for your parents, but my best friend lives in Foxboro and works for a company that does home health care. Not sure if that is what you’re looking for but let me know if it is and I can give you info for her company.

• PlaneMonkey
    PlaneMonkey Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Wednesday Weigh-in @PlaneMonkey
    PW 195.6
    CW 194.2
    LTD 48.8 Lbs

I'm almost at my first goal. I set 190 as the goal back in August because I had been that weight before getting married and liked how I felt at that size, but at the time I was seriously into Crossfit and working out daily. I was much more muscular then.

I didn't believe I could actually achieve this goal but the plan when I thought it up was to get to 190 and then try to maintain it for at least a year. Cause any weightloss I've had in my adult life, I've just rebounded back from each time I slacked off on the exercise and calorie restrictions.

I think once I hit that goal of 190, I'll try to just keep on going slowly and make a new goal of 175. I think I'll adjust my calorie goal in the app to lose only 1/2 a Lb a week and if it's more maintenance than rapid weightloss, it will be part of the learning process. This is my new normal. I'm working on the ideas in the Beck Diet Solution to focus on eating slowly and rating my hunger and discomfort. My husband teases that I eat like a ShopVac. Within 30 seconds of picking up my fork, my meal has been inhaled. This is something I will have to change for long term success.

@conleywoods Kristi I'm sorry about your ring, I had picked out a beautiful 4 point setting for my engagement ring but the jeweler convinced hubby that the diamond would be at risk so he went with an ugly 6 point setting for security. It's overkill. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. The diamond will turn up as soon as it's been replaced.... 😉

Enjoy the beach @micki48!

Thanks for the encouragement @Steph1498

Happy Wednesday everyone!
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a good day, and this morning was 30 min aerobics, 10 min hiit. My goal right now is to just put more energy and thought into my workouts, food is good I am trying to do a little more low carb, higher protein. So this week I changed my breakfast to a turkey, egg and cheese wrap. Dinner is taco salad, without chips. Luckily I don't mind eating the same thing daily.

@PlaneMonkey
    You look great... keep it up !

Have a fabulous day everyone!
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    PW 149.4
    CW 148.6

@micki48 I am just curious, what makes this a challenging time for you to lose? I actually do best in the spring and fall. I struggle in the summer because I am off from work and snack more, move less. My plan is for 7am walks this summer, before it gets hot. I also need to consistently log in the summer. That has been a struggle for me in the past.
This discussion has been closed.