Options

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,298 Member
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970
    Awesome loss!

@rwood566
    Amazing loss! I am an old pro at the dizzy spells. Been having them for years.

Thanks Linda🙂
  • TheresaM787
    TheresaM787 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970

Wow! Phenomenal loss Megan AND while recuperating B)
  • mszoueb
    mszoueb Posts: 155 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    @mszoueb
    Terrific loss 👏👏 what a strong week 🤩 long 4.2 mile walk, shopping walking, the 25 minute strength training and getting some gardening done. Plus FIVE green weeks AND #3!! Huge! You’re doing incredible 🙌 Before you know it you’re going to hit and then pass your lowest in ten years

I know what you mean! It was the same here too. I was thinking, how will this be long term if I’m always hungry? One of the suggestions I read about was adding zero or low calorie foods to my day (just like you surmised). I started adding WAY more seltzer and eating A LOT of lettuce and mini bell peppers to help fill me up. For example sometimes for lunch I will add four or five Romaine lettuce leaves to my sandwich (I usually have one side with bread, the other side the lettuce, or I use a large bell pepper instead of the bread).

Sometimes I wasn’t really hungry, I was just used to eating a certain amount (I used to eat three meals, two snacks, dessert and graze throughout the middles of those times). The seltzer helps with curbing the grazing and dime of the not- hungry snacking. When I first heard the suggestion to drink water, before you grab something to eat, I thought the people were crazy. There’s no way water will satisfy me when I’m hungry (well, when I thought I was hungry). It actually worked! What are some low calorie foods that you enjoy?

The podcast “We Only Look Thin” gives me some great motivation. I usually listen while I’m either cleaning or meal prepping.
    https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/we-only-look-thin/id1335251466?i=1000401467100 Look at this huge month you had! You’re doing amazingly well and you’re doing it safely. Celebrate your successes, you worked hard for them 🎉

Hi Theresa, thanks so much for your lengthy thoughtful reply, I've been meaning to respond back in the last few days. Thank you, yes that's the aim! Hahaha, I used to be the same on a regular basis with the three meals, two snacks, dessert and graze throughout the middles of those times situation too.

Each day I try and get at least 1.6 litres of water in, the past few weeks I'm having more days where I don't find it easy to get the liquid in, even though in theory I should be thirsty, I'm not really. That's nothing new, but I don't have issue with taste of water like some people do. However, there's been a few occasions where I have been having some squash added into the water to mix it up a little. I've also had a few cans of Pepsi Max Caffeine free over the past few weeks - no more getting wired too late to bed time. Man, when I used to go out to pubs, bars and clubs, having Pepsi max through the night into the early ams, was so difficult to get to sleep with the combination of having that, all the noise and whatnot been subject to in those environments. Yes I agree with the water trick, can certainly help you realise if the craving is genuine or not.

As for low calorie foods I've been adding in, I've recently came across smaller ice cream tubs from Aldi and also Hagen Dasz ones that are about less than 100ml a portion, but about 130-168 calories each which is great when you feel like you want ice cream, they taste pretty good and aren't extortionate on the calorie front. I've been making pizza replicas for lunches at the weekend with various flat breads, veggies and mozzarella cheese. Mozzarella isn't too bad on the calorie front, can use 50g for 148 calories which is a fair amount on the flatbread/pittas. I posted some examples a while back. There's probably more, but I can't think right now. Thanks for the podcast recommendation!

Got a surprise postal delivery from a family member today, it was from a bakery down south. I cut off 3 small chunks of 3 items out of the 5, they were good, but wow it made me realise I must not used to large amounts of sugar as I used to be! Sugar coma. I have no idea how many calories it was, being honest having that and this in the house makes me feel less in control, but the fact I mindfully cut smaller portions off to try so far, is a win and life is no fun if go pedal to the medal all year round. I am a foodie, I do miss baking in that way myself.
  • TheresaM787
    Options
    @lindamtuck2018
    Lucky or... could it be all of the walking? Including the walking in the rain ;) Terrific success on all three of your goals :)
    Nope, not a silly question at all. I have an iPhone, so it's on iTunes (aka Podcasts). Since you are already familiar with Spotify, you could type in the name of the podcast in the search area. Two that I enjoy are We Only Look Thin and Halfsize Me. They have a huge library of podcasts on Spotify- all free.

@363days
    Sedona, FUN! Have a wonderful time. I love listening to podcasts too.

@rwood566
    Incredible loss Roger! Fantastic week!!

@Poobah1972
    Five laps! Look at you AND you made it back without injury :D Sorry, couldn't resist- especially after the Redonkerious :D You're doing amazing. Yes, coffee - especially the delicious aroma of fresh brewed coffee makes me want to drain an entire pot by myself!
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    Options
    @363days
    Your question made me think... It isn't a big cut in calories. In fact, no cut in calories at all. I have my diary set to different calorie goals depending on the day of the week. My highest calorie day is 1500 my lowest is 1300 and then there are several days around 1400+. This is before any exercise calories. I prepare almost all of our meals at home, so that is a big help (I love to cook). I focus on foods that are filling and fuel my lifestyle. I have been improving my NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis). For instance, I actually use my standing desk as a standing desk. I've moved my office upstairs. So I don't just run the stairs for exercise; I'm getting a bunch more flights in daily because of that. I also have programmed specific exercises into my Garmin. And I just started using a HRM strap. Which is a lot more accurate than a wrist monitor for various exercises.

I am walking/exercising more in general. So that's part of it. I would have thought the closer one gets to goal the slower weight loss gets. Who knows. I am always mixing and changing things up. It seems to be working well. I don't stress, at all, if I have a small gain. I'm happy for a loss. I have been consistent since I started on 9/1/20. So it isn't any one thing, but a combination of things.

Complete non sequitur: My sister pointed out that growing up, I was always thin, but in very, very good shape. She believes that is my body's natural state... I don't know about all that. I do know that I am headed in the right direction based on how I feel physically and emotionally.

Bet you weren't expecting a novel!!😁😁
  • Tazaria87
    Tazaria87 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Daily Post May 6
    Tracked Yes
    Under Calorie Yes
    Water 81oz
    Steps 1396

Rest day was definitely needed and I feel much better today. Arm is still sore but at least I can lift it! And all the other side effects are gone as well.
    @363days Yes it was weird, no matter how hard I concentrated, I just couldn't get my arm to go up.

Today I got my grocery shopping done. We have family that came into town last night but we aren't going to see them much due to how busy they are going to be even though they are staying at my parent's house. Tomorrow we are having dinner with them though. Then Mother's Day on Sunday and I believe we are planting my mom's vegetable garden.
  • Bluetail6
    Options
    @rwood566
    I'm not training for another triathlon. One was enough, as I learned to swim the month prior. It went well. Swimming just isn't my thing. I'm planning on doing a duathlon in 2022. Maybe a couple of 5Ks this year, nothing is set yet. I want to do a real outdoor event. Although, I am signed up for a virtual Women's Run in June. That will be interesting as I will be out of town.

@lindamtuck2018
    Thank you. I'm moving more in general, not just exercise. I think that is making the biggest difference, with respect to my loss this week. Plus, my husband tweaked an old ankle injury, so I'm running around a lot more for him.😊
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,298 Member
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970

Wow! Phenomenal loss Megan AND while recuperating B)

Thank you so much Theresa .. I was surprised to say the least since I am not measuring out my food and I am not eating keto .... I am on my own now ...roommate went back to work last night ..... Daughter and I went to the grocery store ...I have over done it today ... I cut up watermelon and strawberries ...Just took a pain pill so I will be out in a little bit
  • rlaskey2
    rlaskey2 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Steps 21,827

It was warm enough to do my beach walk which is my happy place. My toes on my right foot were numb when I got back but it was so nice out I couldn’t help myself and did a neighborhood walk with my friend. I then had leg pain and toe numbness all night and today. I have varicose veins in that leg but freaked myself out that it could be a blood clot since I have never had foot numbness before and I had the J & J vaccine about 4 weeks ago. I called this am and they had me go to ER for ultrasound which was fine. I have my primary care appt Wednesday so need to try to figure out what is going on.
  • littleflutterby
    littleflutterby Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am reading through the posts and oh my goodness, I see some amazing losses for the week, you all inspire me so much!

Like I said in my previous post- this week was my first week back at work and my goodness, it's hard! I have to have a filter (especially with my swearing haha) and I'm not used to it!! also the moving around is getting to me but I can take breaks here and there, and time my supervisor stuff so I am able to sit from time to time. (like when I do the food pull or counting down tills etc.)

Yesterday I was asked to come on on my day off- and since I kinda wanted to make a good impression (and of course, to help out my fellow supervisor buddy) I went in. It was a 5 hour close. I was meant to work 5-9 and it ended up being 4.30-9.45. Today I did a 1-9.15pm. I am still getting into the groove but I am getting there!

Here are my steps for the last few days

Wednesday- 2053 (oops! definitely need to do better on days off!!)
    Thursday- 8308
    Friday- still in progress

Sending socially distanced/safe hugs all round!!

Tx
  • rwood566
    rwood566 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Check-in for 5/7:
    Steps - 2674 most of them were washing my car.
    Calories - nicely under 1800.
    Exercise - just washing the car. Been waiting for a phone call that doesn't want to come. Going out tomorrow.

Made cherry syrup for mother's day bfast. I hope it's good.
  • Bluetail6
    Options
    @Tazaria87
    Fantastic photos!!

@363days
    I forgot to mention it earlier; Sedona sounds wonderful!!
  • Bluetail6
    Options
    I have posted some of my favorite quotes in the past. This is one I live by.

"Comparison is the thief of joy."
    Theodore Roosevelt
  • roz0810
    roz0810 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    7th May
    Steps: 11,250

Really loving my new fitbit versa 3!!
  • TheresaM787
    Options
    @Bluetail6
    Loved hearing about the various ways that you have altered your lifestyle to incorporate more healthy systems (moving your office upstairs, to get more steps; using a standing desk; spreading out your calorie budget to allow for possible changes...). Hearing what everyone is doing, what works and doesn't work for them, is really helpful to us. Keep those "novels" coming 😁

@Tazaria87
    I'm so glad to hear that most of the side effects of the second dose went away, and that you listened to your body and took a much needed rest. It sounds like you have a busy weekend ahead of you. Enjoy all of that family time. 😄

@Megan_smartiepants1970
    Yes, that is a lot that you did yesterday! I know it must be uncomfortably hard for you to continue to take it easy, and rest as much as possible. You'll be back out there on your million mile walks in no time 😆

@rlaskey
    Almost 22k steps on the beach (my happy place too), and with a friend around the neighborhood! Inspirationally high step count 🤩
    Glad that you had your foot looked at, that must have been scary. Hopefully your GP will know why that happened.

@littleflutterby
    That must be an uncomfortable change going back in. Look at how well you are doing already! Plus you're putting the extra hours. Huge step count on Thursday! That's just another benefit of work, depending on what it is, you can get in those extra steps AND get paid for it 😆

@rwood566
    You're so good at staying under your calorie budget! 👏🏻👏🏻 Do you pre-log your food? Washing your car, that's a great way to sneak in exercise and get the car looking shiny. That cherry syrup sounds addicting.

@roz0810
    Congrats on getting a FitBit 😎 You're already making great STRIDES! Sorry, not sorry, couldn't resist the pun. I don't have a FitBit, but I heard they have a lot of contests that you can join. Have you looked into any of them?

@red1185
    No, I'm so sorry that you're feeling stress both at work and home. Does your therapist give you suggestions on what to do when you're experiencing it? I hope you find relief soon. 🤗
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,499 Member
    Options
    @Tazaria87
    Glad you feel better. We have to wait four months for our second shot.

@littleflutterby
    You need to ease back in to work. You were off for awhile so it will take your body a minute to get back to full speed. Are you doing your dancing again?

@rwood566
    Crossing my fingers you get your call!

@red1185
    I am the opposite and want to eat when stressed or am anxious. I hope the stress eases off soon.
  • TheresaM787
    Options
    5/7
    Peloton 30 minutes, 8 miles- ✅
    Steps 8,000- Went on two walks to hit 11,900 ✅ I really thought that by the time I went to bed it would have naturally hit 12,000. Next time, I'm going to walk until I see the number I'm anticipating. 😆
    Drink 8 cups of water- 👎 Only 6.5 cups. The two Bud Lights apparently do not count towards water 😇
    Stay within calorie budget- 👎 Went over by 230 calories. I could blame it on me having an extra snack (which was healthy), but the truth is that I had an extra Bud Light, my mom's cheesecake and a homemade rice Krispy treat.

Today we are heading to celebrate Mother's Day with my MIL. My strategy for not over eating all of the high calorie foods:
    1. I'll make sure I eat lunch before going, that way I don't eat all of the snacks and appetizers.
    2. I'll drink a lot of seltzer to help fill me up, and so that I'm drinking something while they are all eating.
    3. I'll pre-log the food that I know I'll be eating, to help me be mindful of the rest of the day.

If anyone has any other suggestions on how to manage your calories in a social setting, please let me know. I could use all the help I can get.

Happy Mother's Day weekend!!
  • 363days
    363days Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    @Bluetail6 Thank you for the thorough response - loved every word. Yes, I think it is difficult to lose weight when you get close to goal and yet, yours is dropping off so I'm glad you shared all of the natural increase in activity you've added throughout your day that is probably helping with this. I get too comfy working on the couch so I'm going to see if I can find a place to stand and work, even if it is the kitchen counter. I also appreciate that you were around 1400 calories consistently, nothing extreme, but the consistency has definitely paid off. I was extremely thin growing up, but then when menopause hit, I had a "chest" all of the sudden. It was so weird. So I know my body has definitely changed and I was left with a food addiction. Prior to that - food didn't matter to me. We are all different but getting tips along the way is a real plus. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.