Daily Chats and Encouragements

Options

Replies

• connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    Kim and Bren - I love beef, but have never been much of a steak person. My parents used to buy a half beef from my grandpa and the steaks were always the last thing left, and usually were cooked with potatoes and carrots like a roast. Bill and I really don't eat beef anymore, though. If we do, it is not cooked by me, because Bill is supposed to stay away from red meat. I will occasionally make something with pork, since it isn't as "red" and he tolerates it better than beef.

I still am getting points to use on clothes from Old Navy. I learned when I was working there to use my credit card for bills, and then to use the points from it on clothes. Of course, I pay in full every month, so I don't have the horrendous fees. Now, I don't use it for nearly as much, but if they have a special push for outside the brand spending, I will use the card. Right now, I have pared my points down a LOT, but still have $56 dollars to spend on clothes that need used pretty soon. I was hoping I could use for Christmas (I had almost $200), but really didn't buy too many things from Old Navy this year. I did treat myself, though.
  • bren5535
    bren5535 Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Kim, I did that for awhile as well...just looked! They showed up on my side bars....I meant to get short sleeved in the tunic thing but clicked on long sleeved. It will be OK since it is winter coming on. I don't do boatnecks either.

Shoes: I gave away a big tub full of lovely shoes a few years back. I used to wear dress shoes for work and dancing....until the first injury and 12 long years of foot agony, swelling and chronic pain. Not sure my remaining ones will fit anymore either. I just hope some ladies were blessed to get the ones I passed down to Love and Care Ministry. I'll have more to pass down when I get to the walk in closet. I recently put 3 new pairs on the picnic table for neighbor ladies.

The cold front moved in last night and our high is supposed to be 63 today, 68 tomorrow and then 77 for Tuesday for the dinner party. Last time we were there, I was so chilled that a co-worker loaned me her sweater. That was very uncomfortable. We've had both extremes, being placed under blaring heat...and chilled to the bony bones! LOL I'll take a jacket, just in case and it will give me a spot for my insulin pen. We have a good while before dinner for chatting, then appetizers....and I need to make sure I take it with me as it would be much too long to take it at home and I'd crash for sure.
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,534 Member
    Options
    u5sb8f4e2ipz.jpeg

Time is moving on - it will be Christmas day in 2 weeks - and the New Year is closing in! ! !

Eating beef: Think I might have mentioned this but we get 1/4 of a hind of beef every November/December from our 1st born who raises them. In it we get mostly hamburger, some ribs and steaks, some stew meat, a couple of roasts. But we eat more chicken then beef but this beef is grass fed with no steriods added so it tastes so much better. But for beef we do enjoy more of the hamburger just because there is so many ways you can make it and a little can serve many or stretch out for days. We should get our supply tomorrow - which is good as our freezer is starting to look a bit empty. Don't like adding to much to the freezer till we get the beef in it.

@bren5535 you mentioned the temperature re a cold front coming in and the high to be 63 today, 64 tomorrow and then77. Oh I look forward to that. Our high for the day is happening right now 45 F but it feels like 37. Woke up this morning to it being 12 F This is to cold and yet the cold has not really hit us yet as it gets down to below 0 by the end of December and January is usually around the 0 or less. Looking forward to the spring already as we have had 2 weeks of cold so nice weather I am ready for. But do love all the seasons and love where I am living. So shouldn't complain.

My eating plan is working - I have been faithful to sticking to it for a number of reasons. (1) someone gifted me with a one year membership to the program which gives me daily support and encouragement let alone a healthy eating plan (2) it is the only food program that made sense to me and even my doctor agreed that it is the one to follow (3) after just 5 days pain level has decreased by 75% because of staying true to the food plan which tells me that sugar and flour are the things that are causing all the inflammination / joint pain / digestive problems that I am dealing with (4) my readings for diabetes are better after just 5 days on plan (5) and with committing the food to the Lord that I will eat each day of this plan I am feeling the Lord is endorsing the program as cravings are really gone though my brain tells me at times it thinks I should eat but I am not hungry so why would I eat - and also after committing the food for the day to the Lord I know that should I go of plan I would not be in obedience but would have broken my committment / vow to Christ and that scares me as I can just image the wrath because of not being obedient.

I working my program one day at a time- just for today I will eat like this letting tomorrow take care of itself. When I have gotten 7 days on plan then I will start working on 'just of 1 week I will follow this plan using the just for today to get through the day. And truthfully writing down the food then committing it to the Lord and keeping the food very simple / basic - food thought just dont come to mind - I have my breakfast and don't think or enter the kitchen till lunch and the same with dinner. After each meal I make sure the kitchen is left clean (table, counters and stove all washed down), take my jug of 24 oz of water with me and dont enter the kitchen till it is time to put lunch on the table - so much easier than having to be in and out of the kitchen to see if I have the right food for the next meal - all of that was taken care of the night before when I plan out the next day's meals.

Anyway enough said - my plan is working, I am looking forward to blood work in 3 months to see the improvement which I know will happen as it did before.

Proverbs 10:3
    The Lord does not let the righteous go hungry, but he thwarts the craving of the wicked

Proverbs 11:14
    Where there is no guidance a people falls, but in an abundance of counselors there is safety.

Proverbs 11:30
    The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and whoever captures souls is wise.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    l1awmlxse432.jpg
  • Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I love Ps. 139, there was a time when I had the whole Ps. memorized, now just bits and pieces come back to me. I wrote a song using this Psalm as my inspiration - BE CONTENT is the title.

Lord willing, Mom should be home in a couple of days. We will be very busy caring for her but are glad she is going to come home where she does better mentally, less confusion. The rehab she is in has been wonderful and everyone there has been great to us and to her.

Wade needs to nap, so I'll let you go. Love ya
  • connierandel
    Options
    Praying that Mom gets home soon!

Please keep Bill's daughters in prayer for the next few days. Their mother passed away today. She fell a couple weeks ago and somehow it caused serious kidney damage resulting in sepsis. She went into rehab and the doctors thought that a couple of weeks of dialysis would take care of the issues. Anyway, they have both been so close to her, and so good to her. They are going to have a rough Christmas.
  • bren5535
    Options
    Prayers for all of you...for each need represented here....and for the many who are facing the aftermath of devastation from those horrid storms and the pain and sorrow so many are facing in these trying days. Their is so much grief and I pray hearts are drawn to Christ in the turmoil.

I need prayer too...this week, my hearing has dived somewhat. I'm deaf on the right, have about 35% hearing on the left, more with the aid. I'd noticed phone voices and TV being exaggerated...Charley Brown like (wah wah wah ) and harder to understand. I changed batteries thinking it was my hearing aid.
    Then I had a spot of dizziness and my right eye feels weird. Prior to the hearing drop, I'd had ear pain for a few days.
    I've had Meniere's since I was 21 but the last issues were about 2003 when the left side was hit. The eye thing may be related to the really high sugar? Praying these issues resolve and I am thankful my work days are drawing to a close.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Praying for you Bren! Take care of yourself!
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Bren, praying for you, sister! So glad that you will be retiring soon and hopefully able to bring some of these things under control.

Mom came home today. Until she gets a bit more independent it's going to be very busy. While I work on the computer my neighbor is here sitting with Mom and helping her with whatever she might need. She is just awesome! A strong heart for Jesus.

Thank you so much for your prayers during this time. You are in mine. Love y'all.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    yugrhdh1x74f.jpg

Our 1/4 of a hind arrived yesterday evening. Am doing a happy dance as our freezer is now 3/4 full now just to fill up the rest with chicken, some pork and frozen vegetables and we will be doing well.

Today is Day 8 (start of Week 2) of following my food plan. So what happened with the scale today when I went to my TOPS meeting - I lost 6.6 pounds in the last 7 days - just because I honored my Lord with my committment to Him to eat only what I wrote in my food journal - I am overjoyed as I know this way of eating is very healthy, really is not restrictive though many think it is (think that is because we don't eat between meals and don't eat any sugar or flour as those are what the science research shows as the items that trigger cravings). I shop just on the outside of isles at the grocery store (produce and meats) and when I need to purchase more spices I get my hubby to get them if they are way down the isle to prevent me from looking at food that might trigger me.

So this week my goal is to lose 1 pound by Tuesday (more would be nice) but the main goal is to eat only what my plan says to eat (3 meals, no snacks, no sugar or flour and by flour that means ALL flour) I love the way I am eating though some days are a bit harder but now that I have 7 days under my belt the cravings are gone.

As for Christmas season and all the 'treats' and fancy dinners. We have our 38th wedding anniversary coming up on Saturday but we are going to celebrate it with a friend on Wednesday (tomorrow) Originally we thought of going to Boston Pizza as they make the best Spaghetti (other than what I make) My husband asked me yesterday if it was going to be difficult to go out for dinner and watch everyone else eat spaghetti which is my favorite meal and if it would trigger me. I know I could get a nice salad with chicken but my brain tells me that isn't a proper meal for our anniversary - therefore my brain is putting food the focus rather than being with the man I love to have a dinner. So he did some research and came up with Mr. Mikes which is a Steakhouse where I could have a steak, baked potato, and daily vegetables of the day. All of that would be on plan. So that is where we are going to go - am so fortunate to have a husband that rather contributing to my eating problem by giving in to the food I want to eat that I shouldn't, he is willing to go 100% to make sure I get what I need for food to improve my health.

Then there is Christmas day end of next week. Today while I was out at my meeting he went shopping to a store where we thought we could find turkeys. He found one. It is smaller than what we usually buy and cost us $25. so not to bad - last year we spend $25 and got a turkey 2x bigger - cost of living has gone up so much yet being on a fixed retirement plan -well it is only going to get worse in 2022 if we believe what they are telling us. Needing to be more creative with healthy cooking.

Praying for all of you - know that you can have a great time with family and friends celebrating the birth of our Saviour without all the extra treats or snacks - think about how we could server them by making sure they have what they need re food but reward yourself with healthy food that will bless your body with a few pounds shed.

Isaiah 7:14
    Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.'

Isaiah 9:6-7
    For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peach.
    Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to up hold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will do this.

Matthew 1:18-25
    Nor the birth of Jesus Christ took place in this way. When his mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child from the Holy Spirit. And her husband Joseph, being a just man and unwilling to put her to shame, resolved to divorce her quietly. But as he considered these things, behold, an angle of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, 'Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins. All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had spoken by the prophet: "Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel.' (which means God with us). When Joseph woke from sleep
    he did as the angle of the Lord commanded him: he took his wife, but he knew her not until she had given birth to a son. And he called his name Jesus.
  • bren5535
    Options
    Thanks Ladies, for prayers in my behalf. They are so appreciated and I know God hears and honors them! Love y'all.
    So glad Mom is home and hope she settles quickly and does well. Blessings to your friend, stepping in to help in this time of need.

Last night was a good yet really tough night for me. We had our company dinner and not only was the hearing horrid with the 15 at our table chatting but the entire restaurant was buzzing...I understood nothing at our table, not close conversation, speeches made at my right side (deaf side) nor the prayer before dinner and the one Steve said over me for my retirement and continued blessing.
    I may have understood 30 of 45,000 words!
    However!...It was a nice time and they had a beautiful award plaque done up for me for my 22 years of dedicated service, I did read lips some so know I am appreciated, loved and will be missed greatly. So thinking of it being a retirement dinner for me wasn't too far fetched as it played a part.

I had to hike to the restroom a couple of times, to take my insulin etc. and was wobbly...missed my cane...but was thankful I didn't fall...then the added hike to and from my car. I mentioned my bad night vision? I ended up going 6-8 miles out of my way coming home! I knew it didn't feel right and boom...there I was at Ambler. But....I did get home safely and I won't have to drive again at night unless it's an emergency and I pray I don't have any!

Sharon gets to work with me today and maybe Friday is we have our way...so I can show her where I've hidden everything...she will have to do some of my duties until a new person is trained. They've interviewed 3 I'm aware of. I've made good notes, have paperwork refined, printed and in place for late/sale processes that I handle. She doesn't fiddle with the computer like I do so finding our documents, making adjustments etc, was part of the Task List I did up. I'll be asking her what was said last night that pertains to our work focus if anything.

I'll get my coffee and get ready for my day...be blessed, all...
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Oh, Bren, have you seen a doctor about this new development in your hearing? You should to make sure that it isn't something new happening. I'm so sorry, friend!

Mom is improving every day, praise the Lord. It's hard taking care of her needs but our friend has been such a blessing, an invaluable help to us! Thank you for your prayers.

Marilyn, wow, you are doing so awesome! What a blessing to have a husband who is such a help to you. Personally, steak would be my first choice - LOL!

Have an awesome day!
  • bren5535
    Options
    I haven't yet Kim. They are so limited in whet they can do for this. In the early days with the dizziness, vomiting, drop attacks...I was on Diazepam and Meclizine and histine? sublingual. It was truly a horrible trial by fire until the balance organ(s) burned out, taking more of my hearing with it. It doesn't bother me so much at this point (except for my remaining work days) but I am praying for some reversal. I haven't seen my EMT since 2001. He said at that time, I was the worst Meniere's case he'd ever had. I will keep an eye on myself and see if there's something I can do after winter...like in March? I don't know if new aids would help with this level of loss but God knows!

That's wonderful news on Mom! She should do much better back in her home environment. Brings my Mom to mind and thankful I always was that she didn't break something with all her falls....and me with mine!
  • connierandel
    Options
    Kim - so glad that you have Mom home! It will be hard work, but better than trying to go see her on a frequent and prolonged basis.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    bbwjcapmfsfo.jpg

Thinking of you ladies - remembering taking care of my mom - she went home to the Lord 11 years ago - and she was so at peace with going.

Bren - am sure you will be so happy when you are retired - my hubby has been retired since May of 2006 and it has been so nice to have him home every day.

Today is Day 11 (working through Week 2 at this time) of following my food plan. Find it hard to believe that I have done 11 days with eating only what I wrote in my food journal - all the food I ate is according to my food plan - 3 meals a day, absolutely no snacks between meals, all food is measured with a digital scale to make sure I don't get to small amount or to much of anything, and most importantly absolutely no sugar except from fruit (2 are allowed one at breakfast and one at lunch weighing in at 6 oz at each of those 2 meals) and for flour -no flour of any kind. It really makes a difference. I can't tell you how many people have said to me 'You are following a program that is to restrictive' - I don't believe that. All others tell me to only show at the outside isles of the grocery store where you get your fresh vegetables and fresh food and your meats. That is just what I am doing. If there is an exception is when I go to the frozen section and get frozen fruit or frozen vegetables, or the isle for herbs and spices. As for as bread is concerned when I really feel I need bread I get Ezekiel bread and on the weight loss plan of this program I get to have 1 slice. But honestly I am enjoying not having bread. And my hubby who is supper slim has said that he has noticed that he is not feeling so well lately and says it is his stomach and that every time he eats bread the stomach gets upset - so he is going to go back of bread as he did for about 3 months.

Today we went out to a restaurant for supper with a friend to celebrate our 38th wedding anniversary which is this Saturday. We decided to go to Mr. Mikes Steakhouse - ordered the Steak sandwich, asked them not to bring the bread but replace it with a baked potato and ordered a side of vegetable of the day - green beans which I really don't like but had them as I new that was part of my program. Felt so good to go and eat out without going off plan. Last night I asked hubby 'Since we are going to a place where I can eat on plan rather than spaghetti place maybe for a drink I will have a pepsi' - he looked at me and said 'I love you, pepsi is full of sugar, you don't do sugar, you are having coffee and water' - then he smiled. I said 'why are you not my enabler now like before but now you are supporting me ' - he answered with a smile 'because I love you to the the moon and back and have decided I will help you every day with each meal to make sure you eat healthy so that you can be healthy.' He is so sweet, I thank the Lord daily for him.

Proverbs 15:17
    Better is a dinner of herbs where love is than a fattened ox and hatred with it.

Proverbs 15:28-29
    The Lord is far from the wicked, but he hears the prayer of the righteous

Anyway it is now getting late need to get some sleep -
  • bren5535
    Options
    What a great report, Marilyn. I know it feels wonderful to walk in obedience. I need to be more consistent with my own walk.

I had a really bad end to my day yesterday. At 4:30, I was struck with severe vertigo, nausea, felt feverish. Couldn't walk so wasn't going to be driving home at 5:00. I called Zach, was so sick I was crying (hate that!)...and asked if someone could help me get home.
    He asked a few times if I was sure I didn't want to go to the hospital since the last time this happened I was having another heart attack at the office. There was no chest pain etc. this time and I assured him I didn't want to go...and this is inner/middle ear issue that has been progressing for a week. They all know now of my hearing dive and I feel better having been honest about my struggle at the moment. I had all 3 of the boyz in and out of the office, then the gate guy, a few tenants I couldn't help because of the computer being blocked...and the stress of it all added to my discomfort I suppose.

Zach's little girl had surgery done yesterday and he was telling me of her awful vertigo and she couldn't even sit up...and how scary that is...for any of us!

He drove my car home...a matchbox car compared to his huge truck....and his Dad met him here to take him back to the office. He said he'd call me later to check on me so keep the phone close and didn't so I'm sure he re-thought that....she's dizzy and sick and can't hear...let her rest! I was so glad to do so!

I managed to get into bed and stayed there 3 hours. I was able to get up at 8:30, had a light dinner, took my meds and went back down. I prayed throughout and continue to do so...and God is merciful.... I feel better this morning and considered a sick day but only have 8 work days left so will go in and do what I can.

They changed our gate system out yesterday and I had a very long wait at my desk while he did all his computer work in there so I was very thankful for a slow, calm and rather quiet day work wise. I will work on my sale stuff, look for another missing contract and pace myself thru the weekend. I'll be off Mon-Wed this week and next and look forward to my final day and returning of the keys!

Thanks so much for prayers for me in this current trial....Be blessed, all!
  • Restfinder
    Options
    How awesome that the bosses were so thoughtful and able to help you. I'm glad you are feeling better. What do you think about letting your PCP know that you are having these issues and see if they might not need to see you to make sure everything is alright?

Mom is getting stronger, praise the Lord. My friend's help is invaluable, I couldn't do this without her! It is way harder than I had anticipated, so her help is crucial, and I am so grateful she is joyfully willing to help. Her love and kind attention to Mom is such a gift!

I hope y'all have a great day.

Oh, Marilyn, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! We celebrated our 37th in September, so we're less than a year behind you!
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    935ws49q1hmt.jpg
  • connierandel
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I think I forgot to wish Marilyn a happy anniversary. I'm so sorry. Bill and I had our 31st in November. It sounds like you had a great meal, and was able to stay in plan as well. It is amazing that your husband is so supportive. Bill was never against me losing weight, but he was no help at all! He is not a help in me trying to keep him to his current diet, either, but we manage. We have all lost weight, so it is working....even on my unsuspecting brother-in-law.

Bren - Hope that you are feeling better today!

Kim - Support from good friends is invaluable! Praying for you and Mom.
  • bren5535
    Options
    Thank you Ladies! I am feeling better...just had the one milder episode yesterday...was able to relax, close my eyes and rest. These slow, peaceful days are a blessing! All 3 boyz checked on me and was relieved I was so much better and on duty I think since Sharon was out sick. I had a good day, got done what I intended to do.

Kim, my PCP would just say go see my ENT and I haven't had to see him since about 2001-2002. I don't have to take those meds anymore tho I suppose in all these years they may have a new drug for the dizziness? With it being middle ear issues brought on by cold, strong, dirty 45 MPH winds 3-4 times in the past 2 weeks, it's kind of like a sinus thing, just a bit more severe. I am SO much better....and the hearing is clearing up some so I am so happy and very thankful for prayers for this girl!

I found my Triple AAA batteries to put in my emergency call button. One had acid spilling out when I checked it on Wednesday. It's a good thing I didn't need it. I've had it since February.

I am so glad you have such precious friends Kim. What a blessing to have been able to move near them! Good, godly friends are a gift...and you have been such to me tho we won't meet here on earth, God has blessed me with you ladies!

All three of you have had anniversaries! Wow....What memories those years hold. Blessings to you all in the time ahead.

I want to get a few chores done before work and catch my charts up. I'm 5-6 days behind. I had 98 for my bedtime sugar last night! Hooya! My FBS was 113 yesterday and 221 this morning...waah. Oh well.