Daily Chats and Encouragements

Replies

• Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,551 Member
    That's me for sure, Bren. I would love to find a corner and just zonk out! The sedative they gave us to help mom sleep at night works for about four hours! I called today to see what could be done. At least we are getting that! Still working on finding a place that will take good care of her. The one we would like sounded a bit iffy, she may be too far along for them; hoping the other place will find she has enough needs for them to accept her! It is only by the grace of God and His strength that we are making it through this. We're old! Taking care of an older person is for the young! LOL!
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,588 Member
    15phv8axvvp9.jpg
  • connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,809 Member
    edited January 2022
    Kim - we are still praying that you find the right place! When we had to make that decision about Bill's Mom, we didn't even consider but one place. There was a waiting list, but we we got by as best as we could until they got her in. Bill and I had done the music for the church services in that facility for years. During that time, they built a beautiful new campus and we knew the staff well. It was also a place that we went to often. We did that ministry for about 20 years....of course a lot of it was after his mom was gone. We had to give it up because they needed to change the time and it would have been a conflict with church (where he was worship leader and I was organist).
  • Restfinder
    I'm hoping we won't have to wait very long. Mom seems to be fading more day by day. Yesterday I'm not sure she had a coherent moment. She is very restless and as we were watching TV she kept making comments or responding as if what was happening there was real. We were watching the live feed of a bird feeder and a squirrel was in the box feeder and she told me to shoo it off! I had to keep reminding her that it was on TV and it wasn't real. We are taking things one day at a time and working to keep her as safe as we can. She doesn't understand, but we have to do it anyway.
  • Marilynsretired
    nw1u7lso1a2p.jpg

@Restfinder - know that I am praying for you and understand what you are going through. We had to do that for my mom - we got her into a very good place and one minute she would tell us that she needed to contact a real estate person so she could buy a new home and the next minute she would say 'that's silly, I am to old and can't live alone anymore.' Was really hard to watch. But she kept it together pretty well (she lost her sight and couldn't hear well so her quality of life was not good - but she passed away at the age of 93 which is a good age). Know that God is in control and will give you the strength to handle what you are dealing with - your love for your mom will not go unnoticed by our Lord and Savior. And I remember people telling me that and my thought was 'you don't really understand' - but honestly we do and the only thing we can do for you is to pray for you - which we are doing.

Have not been doing well with 'weight issues' - not far off plan but far enough to not release any weight and to feel the pain of the weight I am caring around. So I have made a committment to get back on plan today - have committed to my Lord and Savior my food for the day and that I would work this plan with my Lord beside me - and I know that when we make a committment to the Lord and then don't follow through that His wrath could come down on me for breaking a commitment (vow) to the Lord

Hebrews 12:2-3
    Fix your eyes on Jesus...so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

Be blessed ladies
  • Marilynsretired
    8fpp4gnr3q7e.jpg
  • bren5535
    bren5535 Posts: 871 Member
    I wish you could safely zonk out somewhere and get some deep, blessed, much needed rest, Kim! I get enough for 3 people and treasure it.

My recent "injuries" have healed so that's a blessing. I'll be more careful how I move, lift and do things hopefully, in the future.

I'll go get labs done tomorrow, then see my endo doc Monday and the kidney doc on Tuesday...then run free and wild until March/April when I see my PCP and cardio guy. Hooya. My kidney doc's nurse called to add 2-3 things to my lab orders. I hope for decent results tho my "work" doesn't promise much.

I skidded into the ditch and have been camping there for 3 weeks now...not feeling well nor behaving my best. I will be seeking a course correction today.
  • Marilynsretired
    aupgm4p46x9t.jpg
  • connierandel
    Oh, Marilyn , I can so relate to Snoopy!
  • bren5535
    Me as well, Connie. I have hearing issues and still hear things I shouldn't.
  • Restfinder
    Oh my, that was such a wonderful laugh, thanks, Marilyn! I don't hear chocolate chip cookies, but I'm sure I heard a donut one night!

Marilyn, thank you so much for your encouraging words, your prayers are very much appreciated. This is far harder than we every imagined when we reassured Mom we could keep her with us as long as we were able - we are no longer able and hoping that one of the two places we are looking at can take her. She planned and prepared ahead for this, so that is a huge blessing!

Bren, so glad you are doing better. Yes, please be careful with yourself, falls are no small thing when we get to be our age! It's a miracle Mom has survived as many as she has. Whenever she moves from one place to another now there are two of us with her to make sure she doesn't go down, and on the days where she won't carry her weight that is really hard.

Caring for Mom is our life right now so not much else going on with me. We were expecting some bad weather but it doesn't appear to have come and it is still above freezing right now, so it's not likely we will get the icy mix they were predicting. Yippee! Praise the Lord!

Hope y'all stay well!
  • Marilynsretired
    h71zxhe398po.jpg
  • bren5535
    Yesterday was a trial by fire....went to get labs done. I always pray I can "go" when I need to and that they get in and out as quickly as possible and hurt me as little....as possible. Got that... but....my reach is so limited with the shoulder pain that none got in the cup. I had to drink more water, wait 20 minutes and try again with a nifty wand cup holder. Hooya.

Results: not good....A1C up to 8.2 from 7.2, Ca/Phosphate abnormal, UR MALB/CR ratio was 326.8 in August...is now 5330.6...normal is below 30, red blood cells are low at 3.54. I was in so much pain I could barely get in the seat. My back raged a lot all day. I was ragged y'all. BUT....I needed to see my damages and get a wake up call I suppose. My Doctors will not be happy with me. I am not happy with me.

So...back to the drawing board today...need a low carb, low protein, low sodium, low potassium diet plan. Please pray for me. Thanks...
    yvkuoahdoxxe.jpg
  • Restfinder
    Boy, that soup looks really good!!! With those restrictions I'm not sure what you can eat - eek! Oh, Bren, I'm so sorry that those numbers are looking so bad. Your doctor should have a suggestion for a diet that would help you. That UR Malb/cr number is stunning. Does that mean that you are in full kidney disease and will need dialysis? Oh dear, I hope not. You are in my prayers, sister!

The cold doesn't help with pain either. Praise the Lord just one SI joint is hurting more than normal, all my other arthritis is just a dull ache.

Mom had a visit from a nurse from one of the nursing facilities we are looking at. She is going to recommend that they take her but she wasn't sure how much her recommendation would mean. She will share what she found and we can hope and pray they see not just Mom's need but our need for help as well. Please be praying that they will be able to take her because it's getting almost impossible for us to move her from one place to another and I'm sure that if she doesn't find a way to help us she is going to be bedfast!

Love y'all. Stay warm and safe.
  • Marilynsretired
    rzh1ad3y10n1.jpg

Havent posted much but have been reading the messages - lots of things happening to everyone

@Bren5535 - know that I will continue to pray for you as those numbers don't sound good. Making healthy changes is what is needed and I sure understand how hard that is. I have a group (small one) where the members are going no sugar / no flour - so if that is something you would like to look into or try please let me know as you might benefit being on a group that is making that type of change - lots of support. At any rate I am routing for you.

Have had my toenails professionaly clipped (by a nurse) and found that the one big toe has a bit of a hangnail which has caused some inflamation - so am working on keeping it soaked and clean - will be talking with the doctor on Tuesday as to whether just epson salts will work to pull out the infection or if I need a prescription - once the toe is feeling better I am going to have her put on what is called a brace - goes onto the nail and makes the nail lay flat and not cause this problem I am having - but right now it is sore and not sure if I would like the pain of her putting it on - but it worked on my other big toe so am hopeful that it will on this one.

Doing better with the food and much better with the walking - taking it one day at a time. Getting rid of cravings can be done and is hard - but really we are the ones that make it hard - I do believer we either have to seriously do what is best for our health by eliminating that which is causing us to crave foods or just submit to it and continue on the journey of being unhealthy. Not meaning to be negative - what I am trying to say is we have a choice - eat health or eat unhealthy - our choice. So guess it comes down to what we want or are willing to do - are we willing to make changes or are we going to continue to struggle with each change because we really don't want to give up something that for however long has given us pleasure - and bad healthy. That is what I have had to deal with - what about the rest of you?

Be blessed - stay safe - know that you are loved

Daniel 1:8
    But Daniel resolved that he would not defile himself with the king's food, or with the wine that he drank. Therefore he asked the chief of the eunuchs to allow him not to defile himself. And God gave Daniel favor and compassion in the sight of the chief of the eunuchs, and the chief of the eunuchs said to Daniel, 'I fear my lord the king, who assigned your food and your drink; for why should he see that you were in worse condition than the youths who are of your own age? So you would endanger my head with the king.' Then Daniel said to the steward whom the chief of the eunuchs had assigned over Daniel, Hanania, Mishael and Azariah, 'Test your servants for ten days; let us be given vegetables to eat and water to drink. Then let our appearance and the appearance of the youths who eat the king's food be observed by you, and deal with your servants according to what you see.' So he listened to them in this matter, and tested them for ten days. At the end of ten days it was seen that they were better in appearance and fatter in flesh than all the youths who ate the king's food. So the steward took away their food and the wine they were to drink and gave them vegetables.

• bren5535
    Thank you ladies!
    I'll look at the kidney diet further. For that big a change in such a short time is not good at all. I too, pray I never have to deal with dialysis. I definitely need to set goals and do my work. So...I'll have labs done again in 3 months and will see what I can do in that time to improve those numbers.

Kim, I am praying with you that she is approved for this location. God knows the need, all the details and has you in His care.

My bedroom looks like an attack took place in here so I am praying for the strength and will to reclaim my spaces and restore much needed order.
    I needed 2 bulbs changed in here and asked for God's help to do them as it was so dim I was distressed. It was hard and painful...but I got it done. I couldn't have without His strength and stability. I have the 2 step stool thing but am so thankful I only had to do the bottom step as the top one terrifies me, after that fall into the kitchen years back, trying to change a bulb over the table. I normally would just put in a maintenance request but as I said...I was distressed and needed some light!

I gave away my extra walker yesterday. I was glad someone could use it. Tomorrow and Tuesday, I have my appointments and plan to do more laundry on Wednesday. I want to clear the bedroom, clean the kitchen and do some decluttering today.

I baked a couple of salmon filets and gold potatoes yesterday. It was really good, except I didn't season the salmon. I think I'll do it in the air fryer or try it in my nifty microwave steamer basket next time. I have 6 more filets to play with and some lovely tilapia as well. I did miss a green thing with that dinner and will add spinach or green beans to the container I did for today.
    skrc6tg0nlhr.jpg

• Marilynsretired
    lwqjcwj55a3r.jpg
  • connierandel
    Oh Bren, I am so sorry for your bad tests, and the pain you are having. I am sure that the pain causes problems with the blood counts, and blood counts being off can cause pain... a never ending cycle.

We have had to make so many changes in our diet for Bill. His last tests are what the doctor called "stable". They were a bit better in a couple of things, and nothing seriously worse...just a few points. He is still stage 3b CKF, 6.0 AIC. Those are the two that we are really watching.

Bren - I don't know if any of your kidney issues are due to Uric acid, but be aware that seafood (including salmon) can raise uric acid. It is something that we have to keep a watch for on Bill. Also any type of red-meat.
  • bren5535
    Thanks Connie.
    As far as I know, I haven't had issues with uric acid. It's never been mentioned...yet! I have been told to not eat red meat or beans (potassium) and I love beans...even more than red meat! My kidney Dr. said I can have chicken, eggs and fish as my protein and this girl has been into hot dogs, bologna and smoked sausage much too often the past 4 months. What protein they possess is not of good quality and the sodium is crazy. Thankfully, I am still at stage 3...but need to pay attention and get out of the salt mine. I need to remember those shakes I have in there and use them.

I got more things sorted today, dishwasher run again, will pack up another box of plastics to give away tomorrow. I'll be glad to get my appointments out of the way...and carry on.
  • Marilynsretired
    rwllbrzl0353.jpg