Daily Chats and Encouragements

Replies

• bren5535
    bren5535 Posts: 871 Member
    Thank you Kim and Marilyn. I really need to watch myself, tread carefully and pay attention to my surroundings! I have the Tylenol with Codeine and am using that for now. I can take 3 a day. Like my recent bouncing episode that put me out of commission for 2 days, this too should ease up with care and rest. The Mama's falling brings to mind my own and breaks my heart. She fell quite often. I am so very glad she's got her place to go to, Kim! That's a blessing.

I was able to get in my car, get trash dumped and go to Wal-Mart for my order this morning. It was so exhausting and painful but it's done now. Remind me to break down my orders. I can't "handle" shopping for a month's supply at once. It's been 20 years since I did it and it was hard then! Duh! I did park on the sunny side so the remainder of the ice on my wipers could melt off. It took two runs to get everything in, lots of prayer to get my cold/frozen things put up. I had lunch and went to bed for a long nap. Well...2.5 hours anyway. I'll go back to bed early and should rest better tonight. Love and prayers for us all...and much gratitude to our Father... for His mercy and care.
  • bren5535
    PS: Lywyn...going thru my Mom's memory book I did up, I found messages from some SP ladies and yours was one of them! I printed them out and included them in the memos and condolence notes. It will soon be 9 years since Mom passed away. I let my new friend Laura take the book home to look at after telling her about it. Not many share our stuff like that so for one to show true interest is a blessing! Thanks again for your contribution to my keepsakes!
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,588 Member
    ornl1ayqgb5v.jpg
  • bren5535
    edited February 2022
    Oh I am praising God...for good rest the past 2 nights, multiple naps in those 2 days (was whipped), feeling much better this morning tho my back is whining loudly. I still find it hard to believe I am running towards 70.

One of my new friends will bring me HM soup today after her Dr.'s appt. What a blessing! I wanted to make some yesterday and cooked the Brats in my toaster oven, didn't check the setting and almost burned them. I didn't go any further than to make my list of what I aim to put in it....so when she asked if I'd like some, I said Oh Yes, please!

My corner is clear and that makes me feel so much better. I can see the light but hear no train! I've had a lot of fun with my projects, meeting new ladies. They are having a coffee meet on Saturday morning. Depending on my pain and stability levels...I will consider going. My soup friend is doing the same. She's younger than me but has RA and we have a lot in common. Both new friends are Christians and I can see myself getting out on purpose occasionally in the future.

Well, I put myself back on the the pantoprazole. In the 19 or so days of not taking it, I had 4 nights of reflux, nausea and misery. It is what it is. When I googled possible issues I saw a blurb that it doesn't negatively affect BP...perhaps I could use it every other day?

Wishing you all a blessed and peaceful day. I need coffee and will start pecking away at my chore list for the day. Love and prayers~

PS: I went back to google and asked about kidney issues with the drug and THAT is her concern! I confess to missing 4 out of 9 words and when a mask is in place, I make everything up. It can lead to CKD and even kidney failure. I've been on it for about 8 years now? The chronic back pain may have some kidney relation but I'm not sure at this point. So....I will try the every other day wean off thing while I look for another product without the problems.
  • connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,809 Member
    Wow! I haven't been on the group in a few days and I have missed a bunch.

Bren - Take it easy and don't push! It sounds like you really jarred yourself with that fall.

Marilyn - Let us know how the doctor's appointment went. We are praying for you.

Kim - you know you and your Mom are in our prayers. Hopefully you can get her transfer done quickly. I would definitely hesitate bringing her home. It seems like too many moves would be difficult on her.
  • Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,552 Member
    Mom has an ingrown toenail. She saw a podiatrist who said there wasn't much she could do about that except keep those nails trimmed. Mom has really thick nails and fungus, so we have to have a podiatrist do the trimming. Right now that is not high on the list.

Tried to get her moved yesterday but there were glitches on both sides so she is back in the farther away place but hope to have her moved tomorrow or the next day.
  • Marilynsretired
    vv56jry33ucf.jpg

I will be having the nail on the big toe permanently removed on March 23 due to an ingrown toenail. @Restfinder you mentioned your mom has this problem - I have had both big ingrown toenails in both big toes for years and have had them professionally trimmed for over 5 years but they continue to grow that way - therefore am having it removed as the pain of the ingrown toenail is to much. Am not walking with no socks, no shoes because when I put on a sock the toe is just to sore. Don't know how old your mom is (I will be 74 tomorrow) but honestly there comes a time that toenails are not worth having when the feet hurt so much. Might want to talk to the foot doctor about fixing the issue permanently for your mom. The only think I find is the cost - we don't have extended care therefore we pay $50 for the visit to the foot doctor and then $250 for the nail to be removed - and I have 2 to be removed and a hammertoe to be taken care of - but am only doing the one toe for now as the money is not there for all 3 procedures so it could take another year before all is done but praying that with the one done that walking will be more pleasant with my feet - and as my doctor said all the weight I am carrying around is taking a toll on my feet so I really need to get this weight off.

Take care ladies

Marilyn <3
  • Restfinder
    Mom is 82. She had the nails on her big toes removed but over time they grew back, and started to do their ingrown stuff again. I sure hope this works for you. You are in my prayers!

Mom is still at the farther away place. The close up place isn't going to even try to do anything until Monday, and then there is still no guarantee. I have another place that I've talked to in the past who is going to call this afternoon and I will see if they can at least look into taking her. When we talked to them before she was just beyond where they would take someone because she needs two people to move her. She's had a foley in, but that was removed yesterday so I'm not sure if they are trying to get her to use the toilet, but that takes two people, so they may just keep her in adult diapers which is what we would do if we had her at home. She was not very responsive at all today when we went to see her and was looking very tired so we didn't stay long at all. She was going to go to a donut social this afternoon - I hope that perks her up! Please be praying that we will be able to find somewhere for her that will be closer to us and maybe be able to keep her from falling so much.

Thanks so much for putting up with me and all my Mom stuff - it's on my mind a lot right now!
  • Marilynsretired
    sokqzat5pvfs.jpg

@Restfinder - goodness, my sister is 83 so your mom is still young in my eyes. As for the nails growing back apparently when they remove the toenail there is some solution that they can put on the nail bed which will make it impossible for it to grow back. If they don't do that procedure then the nail will grow back and more than likely grow back with the same problem as your moms did. That is why I am having it permanently removed I am so sorry to hear of all the problems with your mom - I went through that with mine - she started going down hill in her early 80's - she went blind and deaf and had dementia. She passed at the age of 93. Please don't feel bad about sharing what is happening - that is what any group is about - community and being their for each other

Well today I got one year older - can't believe I am 74 already - always thought that when my parents were in their 70's that they were really over the hill - but don't like think that I am in that category. I know I am on the down side of life but feel if I take care of my health (as I should have years ago) that I could have another 20 - 25 years yet - and if that is going to happen then I really need to take action with my weight - so am going to make the goal of my 74th year to be the year of putting into practice a lifestyle of healthy eating and moderate exercise. This means eating healthy every day just not occasionally - taking into consideration foods that are a trigger for me which I know I need to avoid them just like those that are addicted to drugs need to avoid them or those that have a problem with drinking. I know for me sugar and flour are triggers - and for many that I have come to know have said that when they have food with sugar and flour that they just continuously feel hungry and want to eat. So am going to be working on eliminating those two from my food plan and from past experience when I do I no I will lose betwen 4 -8 pounds a month till I get close to goal weight. So today will be marked as day 1 - please hold me accountable as I believe that when I turn 75 next year that I could be down 60 pounds and possibly more - so here goes - want to join me on this one year journey to see what happens.

• Marilynsretired
    1it1chi1nabt.jpg
  • connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,809 Member
    Bill had an ingrown nail a few years ago. They just removed a sliver of the nail and put something to kill just that area of the nail root. He hasn't had any other issues with it. Hopefully he doesn't develop problems with it again. Bill is 84 and becoming more fragile all of the time, but we are praying that the meds he has started in the last 3 months will prolong his mental capacities and his kidney functions.
  • Marilynsretired
    y4n60phk5hsi.png
  • Lywyn
    Lywyn Posts: 32 Member
    Did it 60 ponds gone
  • Marilynsretired
    wsury73y6fb8.jpg
  • Restfinder
    Lywyn - yeehaw. I would do a happy dance for you if they had the happy dance emoticon on here! LOL! :D Congratulations for reaching your goal. On to the next goal!
    Marilyn, I didn't know that that could be done. I'm surprised they didn't do it for Mom, although she had that done many years ago and this may be a new thing within that time!

Talked to the closer in place yesterday and he is going to work with the farther out place to see if they can take Mom. I hope they can get it all figured out soon.

I hope Bren is alright. I saw on the news last night that Texas has a lot of power outages and freezing temps. I'm assuming since she hasn't been here for a few days she is part of the power outages. She is in an apartment complex so I am hoping they have figured out a way to get heat to their renters! Please keep her in your prayers.
  • bren5535
    Thanks Kim, for your thoughts and prayers for this ol' girl. I'm OK and here at my spot, no outages like we had at this time last year for a full week and beyond in spots. I was iced in for a week but was fine since I didn't "have" to be out.
    I've just been feeling really rough and in a lot of pain since last week's near fall and hard jarring. My back and hips took a beating it seems and my right knee went south with the feet. I've been laying low and resting a lot....and praising God that I can!

Hoping and praying things are sorted soon with Mom's situation. Hanging on and waiting seem to be the norm in so many things in life.

My air fryer did finally quit a couple of days ago so I ordered a new one from Amazon. I checked the breaker box and another plug in before popping it in the trash. I use mine almost daily so really missed it. I got my Grillet pan out today, to do lunch in. It cooks great but does have the spatter thing going on. I did a HB patty, a potato and an onion in it. I have 2 HB patties left and am thinking I may do soup or a small meatloaf with them. However...I have no ketchup! LOL I was certain that I'd got a new bottle with my Wal-Mart order last Tuesday but apparently not. Oh well. I'll poke around in there and see what else I may be missing and do an HEB order.
  • Restfinder
    OOO, I don't use my air fryer that often, so it is lasting quite a while. I've used my Instapot about four times, so it's doing great! LOL! My microwave gets the most use in this house. hee-hee

Mom was quite incoherent today. It seems like where she is, is where she is going to stay. I talked to the guy at the closer place, and he was supposed to call and get info from the farther away place, but that didn't happen (at least according to the farther away place). We aren't going to push it, either he wants her, or he doesn't. I'll call again tomorrow and see where we stand and find out if he is even going to pursue this.
  • bren5535
    I'd probably not use and intstapot much. Dragging things out of storage is the hard part it seems. That's where my crock pot is at the moment and my Grillet will go back once I empty the dishwasher. Fatigue, pain and laziness factor in with my cooking inspirations.

With a 10 day hiatus after my near fall and injuring myself...I did not fare well. Weight, BP and FBS all are up and need prompt attention. I need to get up and go...to the best of my ability...daily.

That's a sad report...you'd think folks would follow thru...says the girl who doesn't. Still hoping for a positive outcome and good care for her...and rest for you guys, eventually.

We had another cold front move in last night but it's still 40 and I'm happy with that. No icy stuff yet and a warmer weekend is in store.
    Wishing you all a blessed new day...
  • Restfinder
    We've decided to just leave things as they are for now. If Matt comes through and does what needs to be done to get Mom over there, then that is what the Lord is wanting - so right now we are just going to keep things as they are. We'll go and see her every other day since the travel is hard on both Wade and I (bad knees, bad back). I can't imagine traveling anywhere for a vacation! Ugh! LOL!
  • Marilynsretired
    ckdpasxwnunr.jpg

Thinking of you a lot and what you are doing for your mom - it is important that she gets the best of care and is as close to you as possible so that you can visit as often as possible. Just lavish the love on her as much as you can - I sure miss both my parents - dad has been gone now for 30 years and mom 11 years - so much has happened that they did not get to enjoy with us

Our daughter who lives with us (she is special needs) came home from respite yesterday with a really sore throat - so sore she couldn't talk, then developed a snotty nose. With my anxiety, well I lost it. But she slept well with a lot of doctoring up and seems a bit better this morning. Had a call with the nurse at the doctors office and she told me what to watch for. Tomorrow her working is bringing over a rapid test which we will give her to make sure she doesn't have covid -don't think she does but better to check as our doctor said a lot of people are not reporting horrible sore throats but no other symptons. It is hard to watch her like this as she is usually so talkative and no just sits so quiet. My momma feelings are in overdrive as I just don't like it when my chicks are sick.

Today is Day 3 of making changes in my life. They include my healthy eating plan which is 3 meals, no snacks, no sugar or flour; my physical part of life is to walk for 20 minutes a day with increasing the time and distance over the year and spiritually I am going through as much of the Bible as i can in this time frame starting with Matthew -reading a chapter each day and taking notes on it. So each day I start by committing my food for the day to the Lord and then only eat what I have committed. And I work at making the food balanced in all areas - carbs/protein/cholesterol ect. And with the food no sugar and not flour. Though there are times sugar gets in such as today when I had a Subway Chicken Sweet Onion teriyaki salad - there is sugar in it - but if there is any justification to eating that I only have it once a month. Big thing is no flour - so when I want spaghetti, I make my own sauce and then I need to work on having zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash while the rest of the family has the regular spaghetti. Can be tricky but workable. I know some people don't understand the concept of giving up all flours but when you do (and I mean any flour even rice flour, almond flour ect) and not have it for 21 days than have say one slice of bread boy you will feel it immediately in your joints - when I get rid of the flour the inflammation I have is greatly reduced - and am needing to work on that more. So might have to twig the food eliminating dairy which is a trigger for inflammation. But I am really wanting to have a healthier body by my 75th birthday next year - less aches and pains and just generally feel better. And with making these changes I do believe I will make it.

So what are you ladies doing with regard to changing - what have you changed in your food? Have you had to 'give up' a certain food because it is a trigger or causes stomach / joint pain? What calorie level do you aim for and do you take notice of the other main nutrients?