Daily Chats and Encouragements

Options

Replies

• Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,505 Member
    Options
    July 1 2021

For all of Canadians it is our Canada Day - but here on the west coast we are under such a heat wave - and where I live there is a wildfire 15 km (8 miles) from the city so we are under heavy smoke from the wild fire. Makes breathing difficult - and the fire is so close - there is even talk this morning that they might start evacuating different parts of the city due to how close the fire is and the people fighting the fire are having problems from not just the heat wave we are dealing with but the heat from the fire making it impossible right now to contain the fire - scary - don't like it at all as I don't know where we would go - windows are all closed but I can smell the smoke coming in - don't like it at all.

As it is a new month I am looking at having a fresh start for following my food plan. Looking for good results for this month. I am going to start walking though slowly and not far - and I have set up a group called Walking Across Canada - it is open to all. The 1st leg of this walk will be 309 miles and I have posted the route from city to city to accomplish this part of the route. If you would like to join me please do so.

Today I am starting what is called Reboot Rezoom - a course I took back in January that was offered re the Bright Line Eating program - best course I every took well worth the month. I have the course material till the middle of September so am doing the course again along with a friend that took the course back in September with me. Looking forward to making progress during the next 66 days

Isaiah 33:2
    O Lord, be gracious to us; we wait for you. But our arm every morning, our salvation in the time of trouble

Isaiah 35:3-4
    Strengthen the weak hands, and make firm the feeble knees.
    Say to those who have an anxious heart, 'Be strong; fear not! Behold, your God will come with vengeance, with the recompense of God. He will come and save you.'

Isaiah 38:16
    O Lord, by these men live, and in all these things is the life of my spirit. Oh restore me to health and make me live!

-Marilyn
    leader of the group Walking Across Canada

• grallen904
    grallen904 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Wow, I’m sorry I haven’t been on here lately. I have signed on to enter my food but didn’t look around on my groups. We are camping at a campground near our house. This campground is right next to the White River in Arkansas. It’s our favorite campground. It’s been pretty warm here with temps in the 80’s but the humidity makes it feel much worse. We’re getting rain right now and the temp and humidity has dropped quite a bit.

Marilyn, I know I’m late coming into this group but I’m curious as to why people are leaving your church. We got to a small Baptist church and we love it. Pastor teaches scripture and I like that. Starting next Tuesday I’ll be joining a ladies bible study group. I’ve never done that before and I’m really looking forward to it. It’s good to re-evaluate the food/weight loss plan. I should do that but right now I feel what I’m doing is working.

Missy, I really like your goldfinch photos. I had to google lockjaw as I have never heard of it. That’s got to be rough but you are correct, with God and doctors recommendations, you’ll get through this.

Restfinder, I like those verses as well. Very comforting. (from your post on June 29). That’s interesting information the doctor provided regarding your Mother’s brain. It’s good that she has done the puzzles and kindle as it keeps the brain active. It’s great that you guide her through things rather than doing them for her. My husband’s mother is 84 and has always been sharp as a tack. But lately I’ve noticed mild forgetfulness. She is widowed and keeps herself busy with reading. I think for this Christmas I’m going to buy her a coloring book and pencils. I think that will be fun for her to do. I have a set myself and really enjoy it.

Bren, Hi, I’m Gail and I’m new to the group. I’m glad for you and your all clear from the doc. Congrats on your raise. Much deserved I’m sure.

Connie, prayers for you and your husband.
  • rondajo56
    rondajo56 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I found You!! I'll catch up later.
  • connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for praying for Bill. He has had several tests including a CT scan. The doctor said that it shows age related damage, but nothing like damage from strokes, etc. I am seeing decline, but then he will go several days and be totally fine. Days like yesterday kind of scare me, though. The doctor says PUZZLES, PUZZLES, WATER, WATER AND EXERCISE. Trying to get Bill to exercise right now is not happening, but he does crosswords for several hours a day. He no longer will use his iPad for the games he enjoyed, and cannot figure out how to use the Fire TV and watching his old repeat TV shows. He hasn't even tried to watch regular TV in a couple of weeks, and I couldn't tell you how long it has been since he watched sports...usually his favorite. Life is different, but all is okay.

63k1ee7dfkdq.jpg

• Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,322 Member
    Options
    Love the picture and saying, Connie. Will continue in our prayers for Bill and for you! God knows exactly what is going on and has given us to care for them. It isn't easy some days when Mom is doing stuff that we just don't understand. She says things and I have to try and figure out what she means by it. She knows, but she can't articulate it, so we go back and forth, both of us a bit frustrated because I don't understand and she can't tell me! Eventually she will give me a nugget that makes sense and we go from there. Praise the Lord it doesn't happen often. Mom reads a lot, well, she lets her Kindle read to her and she follows along. When I am watching TV, she is out there with me and we are both on our Kindles playing our games.

Oh, Grallen, they have those coloring books for the Kindle too. I do a game called Pixel Tap which is basically a paint by number type game, but they do have the coloring books as well. Just a thought if she has a Kindle. https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=adult+coloring+books+free&i=mobile-apps&crid=1232GFWKW6E58&sprefix=adult+coloring+books%2Cmobile-apps%2C168&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_20
    This is the link for the page that has the coloring books for adults.

On track. I lost two pounds so am really happy with that and thanking the Lord that that mini plateau has passed. I avoided eating a snack late last night even though my tummy said, "feed me".

Have an awesome weekend. See you tomorrow!
  • bren5535
    bren5535 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I am SO looking forward to 4 days off...yippee! Sunday for the 4th, Monday a vacation day and my Tue/Wed off days.
    I have my to do list for those days and will see if I can get all of it done. I need to get my oil changed and my car needs cleaning. I'll use Avis. Tuesday is Lady's Day and we get 10% off.

Today is cloudy so it has the illusion of coolness until you step outside. I got overheated a bit yesterday. I think I'll make my tea for lunch, play awhile and then get some work done.

Have a blessed day all!
  • connierandel
    Options
    Bren - enjoy your long weekend. Happy 4th to everyone.
    5fm0moj119uw.jpg

• Marilynsretired
    Options

July 2 2021

We have quite the night last night - I went up to the emergency du to back pain (might be my kidney acting up) and while waiting there a storm came up with lots of thunder and streak lightning. Lot of fires started all around the city as if the province does not have enough. While waiting to see the doctor a lightning strike hit up by where our daughter and family live -the immediately evacuated all the residents - about 500 homes - and it was about 9:30 pm this happened. They came with their 2 dogs and also son in laws mom (5 people + dogs) but we don't have the room for everyone and it would not have been best to have son in laws mom to sleep on the floor - but they were able to get in contact with a friend that were away for the weekend and they said to go up and use their house to sleep. That fire is contained at this time so everyone is back home but on watch as the fire could jump at any time due to the wind. And with all of this happening I ended up not seeing the doctor - was just to stressful sitting waiting knowing that these fires were all around and my daughter was evacuated - so told the nurse that we would leave but should my back get worse I would return. Today I called my doctor, he has ordered blood work and I will have a conference call with him on tuesday to see what direction I should go - last blood work showed that my kidney function was lowered (number should be 60 and mine went down to 40) and was told that I really need lots and lots of water - brought it back up to 45. But not sure if that is what I was feeling or if it was the back problem that I have - and if it is just that then I need to suck it up as there is nothing they can do other then medicate with some pain meds - not nice.

Anyway I am back on track with my food which is important. Day 2 for that and looking forward to being able to day Day 31 at the end of this month.

@grallen904 you asked about my Church. There are a number of concerns I have with the leadership (the elders and the Pastor) over the last 3 years. We are not the only ones - 80% of the members of the church has left since the new Pastor has come on board. We have learned lots with him, he has gotten us more into reading, studying and praying. But there are things that I have seen that concern me. For instance he will only pray with churches that have exactly the same doctrinal views - for instance I can visit my Catholic friends, my friends from the Alliance Church, from the Baptist Church and pray with them. Our current Pastor does not believe this - he will not join in with the other churches of the city to pray for the city - he has stated that he doesn't because his 'doctrinal views' are different. But the big reason we are leaving this church is that it is divided into 2 churches in the same building - one side that does not question at all what the leadership is saying (such as not following the government orders re the covid) leaving the others that believe that we should follow the government orders - a number of people has asked for a meeting with the congregation with regard that they are hurting in that they are being 'forgotten' by 'the select' but the 'leadership' has not allowed these meetings to be help saying that they have answered all the concerns of those that are hurting - and they haven't done so and those that are not hurting are not hearing both sides. We have hung on praying for the church that the church could once again be united but there is no sign of this happening - therefore we have had to take a stand in leaving. And I am said to say that in the past 2 weeks another 20 people have come forward saying they are hurting and not feeling the love from the leadership. At any rate I don't really want to go into it all - just know that this is church that is divided of 'favorites' and those that are hurting - we will continue to pray for the leadership and for those still attending that they might show love and concern to each other as they walk out their faith. We have never felt we have had to leave a church as anytime there was a 'crisis' the church would actively deal with it so that all felt heard and loved and they would come out with a good compromise. Hope that helps

Isaiah 41:10
    Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Isaiah 41:14
    For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, 'Fear not, I am the one who helps you.

- Marilyn
    leader of Walk Across Canada group

• connierandel
    Options
    Marilyn - I know that this is very difficult for you! Praying for you. God knows your heart. I left a church when I was in my 20's and I left one when I was in my 60's. Even though they were 40 years apart, there are still scars from both. I am a person that thinks that you get into a church, become active, minister where you can, and stick with the church through thick and thin. Sometimes God has a different plan for us, though. May you continue to bloom where you are planted.

Also, prayers for your health.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Marilyn, I have arthritis in my lower back and in both SI joints, and sometimes when those SI joints are hurting it feels like it's my kidneys. Makes me wonder some times, but sitting for awhile helps to take away the pain, then I know it's those hip joints!

Borrowed some arm sleeves from hubbie today, bright orange! Can't miss me. The ones I had got a hole in them and the compression is compromised, as well as that puff of skin sticking out of the hole just ain't pretty! LOL! They don't have as much compression as the sleeves I had but these come all the way down to my wrists which is better for me anyway, and so far they aren't curling at the top like my other ones did.

Going to make my orange cream smoothie when I get through here! Woohoo! Love y'all. Have a very blessed and safe fourth.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    July 3 2021

@restfinder - yes that pain can be bad. It has been a reminder though to make sure I get in my water because when I don't get in 100 oz my back hurts more especially around my kidneys. You mention compression socks - I have them and get mine from a place there they actually measure your calves to make sure you get the right size. I haven't worn then now for a couple of weeks and I need to get back to wearing them as my feet are swollen some and so are my legs - it is amazing how just having them on for one day how the legs go down so much - when I havent worn them for awhile and then put them on oh do they feel tight - like a brand new girdle if you remember those days - and then when I take them off at night it feels like puff as the legs want to swell back up. I should have them from the toes up to my hips as my upper thighs really need the compression also but those just wont work. But she suggested getting spandex as they fit 'tight' - and that makes me think (laugh actually) as I do have some pants that when I put them on my hubby laughs as he says 'when did you decide to wear pants so skin tight that you can see the dimples in your bum - don't like it but there are days when I know I am not going out that I will put those on as they do help with the swelling.

Anyway it is Day 28 of logging on to MFP and am liking the streak I am making. And with each day I log on I get to understand and love this website even more. Have started my food plan - once again - as of the 1st of July with the goal to get in 31 days on plan. Have set a few goals for July and each morning I have a look at them to see what I can do today to reach these goals. So far so good. Today I am going to attempt to go outside for a walk though it is still quite smoky but I need to get moving even just a little.

Isaiah 44:6
    Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: 'I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god.

Isaiah 44:22
    I have blotted out your transgressions like a cloud and your sins like mist; return to me, for I have redeemed you.

-Marilyn
    leader of Walking Across Canada
  • bren5535
    bren5535 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    What a rough night for you all, Marilyn! That's a lot of folks to have to evacuate and the later it is, the harder it feels! Prayers for all of you.

I had time before work to do up some broccoli pasta salad. It's a little "busy" since I tossed in a lot of stuff in the bowl while the pasta cooked. Chopped sweet onion, bacon bits, the rest of a bag of frozen peas, shredded cheese, sliced olives, diced pimento and a bag of chopped broccoli florets. For the dressing, I used some Miracle Whip, coleslaw dressing and a few squirts of Ranch. Wal-Mart's was sweeter...and yummy, just not much body or enough broccoli! I'll add a bit more Coleslaw dressing to it, perhaps. I had it for lunch and it was very good.
    Dinner's plan is a bit more of that and my left over green beans with baby taters and ham hock...to clear that out.

I have been very busy and have some more work to do before I run off at 5 PM for my "Holiday"....I'm needing to find where the extra cash in the deposit belongs so I can get that done up. I have $90 too much. It's mine to find since I'm the only one here the past 3 days.

It's raining today and I am loving it! A high of 88....we need the rain too. I'm going to rest about 20 minutes and play...then get back to work. Be blessed, all~
  • majork29
    majork29 Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Good morning all, sorry that I have been MIA the last week or so. Between the heat wave, last night was the first night in a week that that temp went below 30C (86F) during the day we went up to the 40Cs most days. It was just too hot to do anything. For some reason the heat really bothers me. The cold I can take but not the heat.

This week has been trying. The heat has been terrible. On Monday my hubby and daughter both had doctors appointments. Daughter has had her meds changed and I'm praying that she does better soon. Hubby has to go for more testing, I hope we find out soon what is wrong.

My AS is acting up again. I had x-rays on my lower back an d may have to go for a cortisone shot in my SI joints. I'm okay as long as I keep moving, it takes me about 20 minutes in the morning to get going and then as long as I don't it too long I'm good.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Majork - Praying for you and the family. I know what debilitating back pain is like. I couldn't even count the number of cortisone shots that I have had, then surgery that they said they were going to have to re-do, but found that spinal decompression worked that time. NOT FUN. Now, I feel much better if I walk, but all-in-all, I am good.

Hope:
    tntltf10iijx.jpg

• Marilynsretired
    Options
    July 5 2021

Hope you have all had a good weekend - without to much celebration that takes you away from eating healthy.

Day 30 of logging onto MFP - one month already - seems like yesterday I just joined the website and was learning how to navigate it - am really liking it especially the food tracker. Being able make up different dinners and them save them to the different meal categories - breakfast, lunch, dinner - though it took time to make up different meals it is now a time saver

Jeremiah 10:23-24
    I know, O Lord, that the way of man is not in himself, that it is not in man who walks to direct his steps.
    Correct me, O Lord, but in justice; not in your anger, lest you bring me to nothing.

-Marilyn
    leader of Walking Across Canada

• Restfinder
    Options
    Marilynn, I've had the socks that came from a medical supply place and they measured me for them. The biggest problem I have with compression socks is that they are super painful for me to put on. I have lymphedema and lipedema, and lipedema causes me to have pain in my legs and arms (and other places now as well) and the pressure of the socks going on is excruciating. The pain takes about 10 or 15 minutes to ebb as well, so it isn't something I really want to go through. Having my blood pressure taken is also excruciating for me. I have ordered compression socks on line wanting something other than the wraps to wear all the time, they are bulky and get in the way, but the socks just don't work. The leggings don't have enough compression, but even slight compression is better than none. I have a lot of tunics that fit to the middle of my thigh and hide those dimples!

Still having trouble with swelling in my feet. I don't know what is going on with that. I tried to wear my tennis shoes when I went walking around the house today and they hurt so bad I had to take them off. I only got five laps in because my thighs were hurting and I felt off kilter. Just super tired again, I was having trouble catching my breath so I gave up.

Weight stayed the same even though I had a couple of treats yesterday. We'll see if tomorrow tells on me! I ate a Bavarian Cream donut with chocolate on the top! Gasp! I took all my migraine meds before a headache could start, but the meds make me really tired as well.

Did anyone do anything for the Fourth of July? We had hot dogs for lunch! We listened to the booming of fireworks somewhere out there, but that's pretty much it. Right now it doesn't feel like there is a whole lot to celebrate in this country, we're a mess!

Love y'all.
  • connierandel
    Options
    We didn't do anything for the 4th except church, then went out on our bedroom deck and watched fireworks. Yesterday was grocery day -- pick-up at WalMart and then another grocery store to purchase some meat. Whew, meat has gotten soooo expensive. I put a little bit of hamburger in the freezer (usually buy 10# at a time, this time 3#) and had grilled pork loin for dinner but none for the freezer. We will see if anyone has a better sale on anything.

Bill did work on one of our night stands. That was very good for him. It got him out of his recliner and busy. It looks okay, it wasn't what I was expecting him to do, but it is looking good so far. He still has to cover some scratches on the legs and to put finish on the top. Then he gets done with that one, we will do the other. They are antique and we have had them over 20 years and have never done anything to them. They were in need of some major TLC.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    We have a couple of friends in our church who restore furniture. They did a beautiful job on the desk that they gave me for Christmas. I don't have the patience for things like that.

So glad that Bill felt up to doing something like that. Praise the Lord.

Fell asleep last night around a quarter to 10 and then woke up to little scritching noises! Ugh, a mouse in the bedroom. We can't figure out where they are coming in, but the number we find has definitely fallen off, now to figure out where this guy got in! Wade set a trap and he was caught within an hour! We also get these large beetles. I saw one take off under one of our outside doors, so that is definitely something we can fix easily, Wade just needs to find the time with all the other things he's having to do! Sigh! I've learned not to be too squeamish! LOL!

Not much else going on today. Waiting for a big order, my monthly order, to be delivered. I've seen a couple of notices on my computer that it was on its way. Yippee!
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    July 6 2021

Today is Day 31 of logging onto MFP - so am starting my 2nd month here - and looking forward to making better progress this 2nd month.

Also today is our daughter (2nd born child) 49th birthday. Time sure goes by fast.

We are finally getting a bit of a break in the heat - it is in the high 80'sF and low 90'sF so though that is warm/hot for most of us it is cool compared to last week when it was around 110 - 115 each day We are experiencing wildfires though and that is scary - July 1 at 10 pm 17 fires were started around the city, one of which made 500 homes to be evacuated

I believe I have shared the outline of my food plan before but in case I didn't or if you haven't read it I will share it again

Breakfast 1 protein serving, 1 serving of fruit no more than 6 oz

Lunch 1 protein serving, 1 serving of fruit no more than 6 oz and 7 oz of vegetables

Dinner 1 protein serving, 1 grain serving, 7 oz of vegetables and 2 fat servings.

Water 100 oz

No snacks, no sugar, no flour and all meals are about 4 hours apart with the last meal around 6 pm.

The reason I am eating following this plan is that I am a food addict and sugar and flour are addictive (to most people). At first I thought there was nothing left for me to eat but truthfully I have plenty to eat - nothing is processed - anything that can sit on the shelves for a long time I do not go for as most of these items have either sugar or flour or too much sodium in them. I have had to revert to making my own 'sauces' to make sure there is no sugar or flour. I have gone back to the basics of what I can eat that is in its natural state (vegetables are fresh 1st, then frozen, then canned) I get my beef from our daughter who lives on a ranch and the cattle are not pumped up with steroids, and the chicken we eat we get from a farmer that does not add steroids to them either. At first I was amazed how much 'more' it seemed to cost me eating this way but when I did a look at this 2 ways: (1) the cost doing the eating now with no sugar no flour and (2) the cost of groceries when I purchased processed foods such as cakes, cookies, pies, breads, noodles the cost was more then what I spend now on fresh vegetables, fresh fruit and some meat.

I understand that there are a lot of people with a weight problem that don't relate to being a food addict - it took me along time to come to terms with being a food addict - I did not want to think I fell under the same problem re being an addict as someone who has issues with drugs, drinking or smoking. I realize that the Lord had to humble me to make me look at myself and realize that my choice of 'drug' was food - food that did not have the proper nutrients to nourish my body. I am grateful now that I have come to terms with this and with the Lord's help I am learning how to get into full recovery. And for those that have a weight problem but aren't dealing with the addiction - I appreciate you so much and just ask that you try to understand those of us that can't have 'just one bite' as it leads us to full addiction. If any of you are thinking you might be dealing with food addiction I would suggest going to the Lord, asking Him to direct you and make your eyes see where the true problem is with your weight issues - it is really humbling when we come to terms with it - I now hear the Lord so much better when it comes to food - when I eat off plan I now hear the Lord telling me that He loves me but that I need to turn away from the food cravings / addiction and turn to nourishing my body with healthy choices, freeing my mind to spend better quality time getting spiritually feed. Hope that makes sense.

Before sin we were given green plants to eat Here is my reference to this
    Genesis 1:30
    And to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the heavens and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food.

Then we read about Daniel
    Daniel 1:8-9
    But Daniel resolved that he would not defile himself with the king's food, or with the wine he drank. Therefore he asked the chief of the eunuchs to allow him not to defile himself. And God gave Daniel favor and compassion n the sight of the chief of the eunuchs

Daniel 1:11-12
    Then Daniel said to the steward whom the chief of the eunuchs had assigned over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah. 'Test your servants for ten days, let us be given vegetables to eat and water to drink

Daniel 1:15
    At the end of ten days it was seen that they were better in appearance and fatter in flesh than all the youths who ate the king's food
  • grallen904
    grallen904 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi all, we are back home from our camping trip to the campground 5 minutes away from our house. Got everything unloaded, put away and showered just in time for my ladies bible study at 1 pm. It was my first time attending and I really enjoyed it. We are working through a book called Major Bible Themes by Lewis Sperry Chafer.

Restfinder, My MIL does not have a kindle but she has a laptop. Might check into something she can do on that. Good for you on the loss. I often have a grumbly tummy late in the day so I try to drown it in water. I chug quite a bit of water throughout the day. Ah the smoothie sounds wonderful. I have entertained the idea of making smoothies either as my breakfast or lunch. For the 4th, we had friends over to our campsite for brats, dogs, potato salad and baked beans. And our friends brought dessert. We had a nice time. I don’t envy your mouse problem. I hope you somehow find where they are coming in at.

Majork29, I hear ya on the heat. It was hot and humid here today in Arkansas. I think we have a few more days of it too.

Bren, I hope in that 4 days you’ll have a chance to rest and relax. Chores do have to be done but rest is essential.

Connie, I like the memes. That’s good that your husband has a project to work on. I bet they’ll look great when they are done.

Marilyn, I hope your tests come back with an outcome to your liking. I hope your daughter’s house was not affected by the fire. That had to be scary for them and you wondering if they were safe. I’m so sorry you and others are having those concerns with your church. I can understand they need to feel loved and cared for and not be put aside by and because of favorites. I hope you’ll be able to find another church. There is nothing wrong with “shopping around” for the right church. I guess we are lucky, our church is very small and the people are so kind. I recently joined the ladies bible study, today in fact was my first time. I really enjoyed it. I’ll pray for you and your family to find a new church. It’s good you are recording the food that you eat. It can be a real eye opener.