Daily Chats and Encouragements

Replies

• bren5535
    bren5535 Posts: 872 Member
    edited July 2022
    Ack...the cable/phone guy came, did my new set up...all I get are locals and weather channel....called Suddenlink...spoke to someone in Bangladesh? English not first language. I am charged $50 on my bill for local channels! They are ridiculous! Plus, I got another remote that is convoluted, voice activated, tiny buttons I can't see. I am not happy....oh well....The volume thing is great...so I don't have to use the closed captioning thing. Good thing since I don't know what I'm doing. Would still like the Roku thing u and running.
  • bren5535
    OK...after an hour on the phone with another person, I got my most watched channels added back on...hooya... NewsNation, TLC, USA and the like. It added $15 to my monthly bill...I told her to delete HBO as I don't want or need that. They put it on at 6 months free hoping you forget to cancel later...

Hoping al this stress and drama are done! When I called initially, I got the automated thing wanting a payment...had my phone number wrong and a past due amount over $800 due! Oh No you don't! My response when prompted was No Way! Not acknowledged! Finally called the number I initially set up with Monday and I am good to go...and my new channels have loaded. Yippee!
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,588 Member
    Am doing well - do have some medical issues that I need to work through with the help of the doctor but overall because of the changes in my food things are getting better. Needing to call the doctor today re my diabetic meds - have started a once a week needle - have now had 3 of them and have 3 more before I need another prescription- it is very expensive so for now he is getting me some free samples and then we will work with the company to get the price as low as possible. Am hoping / praying that by December I might be able to be off it completely (after 15 years) or at least have it lowered a lot more.

Monday night (10:30 pm) had at an appointment at the hospital for an ultrasound - what a challenge that was - our hospital has a new addition on it so we got lost and had to walk so far - therefore I was in a lot of pain when we got to where we should be. And then I can't lay on their beds due to my back problem - felt like my tailbone was coming out through my stomach - the pain if asked between 0 - 10 was a 25 so she asked if I could sit on the side of the bed- that worked but I didn't tell her that the sore on my cheek bum was causing tremendous pain so I just sucked it in so she could get the test done. I could see the cyst on the kidney - looked huge but don't think it really is as big as I thought. Now am waiting for doctor to call after he compares it with the CT scan So am trying to get a hold of him today to see if he hear anything and to get another supply for the diabetic pen.

Swelling / salt = am so glad the doctor advised me 2 months ago to get off all salt - like NO SALT at all to be added to my food - it has really helped with the swelling. And I am surprised how much natural salt there is in all the vegetables we eat.

Yesterday I ate off plan - I did take food I could eat to the potluck but decided last minute that I was going to have a burger without the bun - and am now regretting it. The burger tasted horrible, far to much salt and the cheese they put on it was gross. And by the time I got home I was in pain just from the meat and a small piece of cheese - unless anyone has actually giving up meat and dairy they don't understand how addictive that type of food is. I did not realize that dairy was causing me so many issues but after giving it up for 21 days I had 1 egg with some cheddar cheese - and within an hour I was bloated, joints hurt, horrible headache - so I don't have that any more - when I think of how much over the years that I ate that food and put the toxins into my body - no wonder it is failing me now- going to take some time to get it back to where it should be.

So this morning hubby and I sat down to discuss tomorrow menu when we have company coming for dinner. We saw the couple last night and the husband mentioned a few times he was looking forward to having a vegetarian meal- what he doesn't no is that he is getting a vegan meal -as we found a very nice vegetable stew to make and we will serve a caesar salad with that (the dressing is modified to not have diary in it) and we are serving 100% whole wheat garlic toast with it. Should be interesting. Hubby has looked at a few 'desserts' and I have found a couple we could do but we need to make that decision today to make sure we have all we need to make any should we feel we need to.

Anyway where is my food for today

Breakfast (eaten at 8:30 am)
    oatmeal - did not measure it but it filled the bowl so it was probably about 1 - 2 cups
    had some cinnamon and applesauce in it
    granny smith apple

Lunch (to be eaten at 12:30 pm)
    2 slices 100% whole wheat bread toasted with a 1/4 of a teaspoon of yellow mustard divided over both slices of the toast and then a tomato sliced onto it, along with some cucumber and some baby spinache
    granny smith apple

Dinner (to be eaten at 5:30 pm)
    Boiled potato (hubby might want to change that up to cutting the potatoes into french fry style and then air fry them) served with baby spinach zucchini onion celery cucumber and asparagus When I stir fry the vegetables I do not use oil I put a little water in the pan with a little vegetable broth which I spice up and add more if needed to prevent sticking - I don't use any 'fat' / oil for this

I love this way of eating - so many foods to choice from and though I have digestive issues and don't really enjoy vegetables because I have experiemented with different vegetables the cooking of them (found the stir fry is what we like the best) and cutting the vegetables as small as possible , well I don't have the digestive issues with them now and with putting different combinations together we are learning what we like together and what spices we like on them. And those who have had dinner with us are telling us they never thought of the combinations we are doing but love how they taste together.

e9pnzesmlkkr.jpg
  • bren5535
    You're on a path that worse well for you and that's major. Seems you are super sensitive to certain things and avoiding them quite well.

I googled my new remote yesterday to find my menu button and got my CC set so am a happy camper once again. The stress of being on the phone with my hearing issue is quite high so am glad to be done with all that for a bit.

I was awake late/wee hours again.....shoulder/knee pain so I got to sleep the last time at 3 AM...got up for real at 9:15. Time for coffee and regrouping.

Today's To Do list includes cleaning the kitchen (again), vacuuming, sorting and cleaning the fridge and doing some salads, bento boxes and omelet bags up.

Love and prayers for us all in this new day. Prayers for peace, provision.....calm and sweet rest in Jesus.
    4t24750ocwx0.jpg

• Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,552 Member
    I ran the dishwasher yesterday, so emptying that and getting the sink empty of dirty dishes is on the docket for me today - after lunch.

Marilyn, I hope that they are able to get these kidney issues figured out without needing surgery! Praise the Lord your issues with food are so obvious!

My swelling is down some now that I am taking the Triamterene again. My weight is back down, it was 234.4 yesterday and 235.2 this morning. I weighed the first time I got up to go to the bathroom yesterday morning - 236.4. Got up a couple of hours later and it was down two pounds - hmmm??? I'm just praising the Lord that it's down, it was frustrating and confounding to gain seven pounds in five days without making any changes - wish I had figured out the Triamterene earlier! LOL! I have no idea how I missed it in my keepers. I have four of them now, so am good for a month!

I'm going to set a goal for steps - because I am walking in the house I am going to work on getting 2,000 steps a day, which means walking more than I have. I've also started working my upper body using canned goods rather than weights since I haven't done anything like that for quite awhile. I tried the gym chair yesterday, but there's too much resistance for the level that I'm at, so that will have to wait until I get some strength back!

I would love to be at 230 by the end of summer!

Love y'all.
  • Marilynsretired
    bmpn9dthg1wd.jpg
  • Marilynsretired
    stu71em1fh1s.jpg
  • Restfinder
    Oh, your grief picture made me think of something. Mom passed away in February, and her older sister, 85 years old, passed away a couple of weeks ago. There were seven siblings, Two brothers and five sister. The boys were the oldest and the youngest. Now the two youngest are the only ones left. That is what getting old looks like. His aunt and uncle are in their late sixties. It's amazing though - people are living much longer than they used to. The wife of mom's oldest brother is still alive, but not doing well, she is in her early 90's, I believe. My mom, who I don't have a relationship with, is 84 or 85. Her parents lived to be 88. Honestly, I don't want to make it that long. My poor body has troubles at 63, I can't imagine what I would be like at 83! I would love for Jesus to come back and whisk us away to heaven and then deal with the wickedness here on earth. Then we can come back 7 years later and rule and reign with Him as He heralds in the millennium!

Doing fairly well. Trying to move more but not getting up to the 2,000 steps I wish I could. I walk throughout the day, but the pain in my thigh keeps me from doing very many laps at a time. I have been doing 14 oz. can workout on my arms but a couple of headaches have kept me from being able to do it every day. No headache today, so I should be able to get a workout in this afternoon! No much of one, but it's something! LOL!

Have an awesome weekend, y'all.
  • Marilynsretired
    Restfinder - I am so sorry that at age 63 you are now thinking that you don't want to be around at age 83 - I pray that the Lord will do a miracle on you so that you can have many many happy years here before life is over because once it is over well it is over.

My dear father (youngest of 12) passed away at age 76 due to cancer but my sweet mom passed on at age 93. I am now 74 and have a sister that is 84. Both of us have many health issues and I am so proud of how well my sister is handling it - daily she says that though she has pain that she feels so blessed to be able to have another day to be with her husband of 64 years, to daily talk with all her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. And I must say I try to stay as positive as possible with all my health issues as I really would love to see my 2 precious great granddaughters get to at least age 20 before the Lord calls me home. Just taking it one day at a time , starting each day with the Lord remembering Matthew 6:33 and all will be ok

Am doing well with my food - I will unoffically weigh in tomorrow to get one last number on the scale for the month - today it looks like 5.8 pounds gone for the month but we will see what tomorrow says.

I am loving the way I eat - am never hungry, my body is adjusting to all the vegetables though I never thought that would happen and as for not having any animal products well I thought that would be a big issues but don't miss it at all. I have never eaten so well, the vegetables which were an issue I have been able to find ways to cook them so that my digestive system can tolerate them and I have gone from 4 oz of vegetables at a meal to now 8 - 10 ounces. But honestly I have stopped measuring the food as the program I am following says it is not necessary all I have to do is eat till I feel full and that is what I am doing. Was concerned about the amount of starch that I am allowed but low and behold it is so nice to be able to eat potatoes when that is what I feel to eat - and my numbers re diabetes in 6 weeks have gone down drastically. My morning numbers (with the help of meds) would be 6.2 or 6.5 (in the US that would be 111.6 to 117) and now my morning numbers are 5.1 to 5.4 (In the US that would be 91.8 to 97.2) so I am seeing now that getting off the meat / dairy products and eating lots of vegetables and starches does work -I see the doctor this coming Tuesday and I am sure he will be happy. When I saw him 2 weeks ago I was able to reduce my water pill by 1/2 and my husband who does not have a weight problem but has started to eat as I do only he eats more of the vegetables and starch - well the doc talked to him 7 days ago and after 6 weeks of making this food change in his life he has been able to reduce his blood pressure from 20 mg a day down to 5 mg a day and that is after 6 weeks of getting the meat out of his diet - and honestly he still eats some meat 2 - 3 times a week but the increase in vegetables and starch has worked for him also. So I can't say enough about this program we are on - but sadly a lot of people won't even look at it as most don't want to make the change - but I am seeing results I never thought I would.

Another change. I started this way of eating because my kidney function went from 60 (where it is supposed to be) down to 32 (3 points away from being on diaylsis and usually kidneys don't repair themselves.) 4 weeks after changing up my food plan to no sugar, no salt and limiting flour to no more than 1x a week and absolutely no animal products, and cutting out dairy well my kidney function went back up to 36. I will be having more blood work done at the end of August to check for any changes so can only imagine how much better it will be - let alone the improvement re cholesterol.

Ladies, I know we all have medical issues and we need to do what is best for us - but seriously if you have tried just about everything and things have stalled and you are on a lot of meds - please consider trying this way of eating even making slow changes and see how you feel in 1 month - am pretty sure you will be surprised at the changes -the doctor that put this all together has been doing it for over 50 years and all his patients have had success in getting rid of illnesses and are off all meds as the food they are now eating is 'their meds'.

Anyway enough of my preaching - I know for me the Lord told me to go this way and when I falter with eating this way, I hear the Lord tell me 'Marilyn, go back and read Daniel chapter 1 and how in ten days of eating vegetables and fruit Daniel and his 2 friends were in better shape than all of the others that ate the food of the kings. Something has to be said about that right

l1tdwe6tl55q.jpg
  • Marilynsretired
    oy7w5i3gd3di.jpg
  • Restfinder
    Happy Monday, everyone!

We were supposed to have severe storms last night, but, Praise the Lord, they slipped past us. God is good.

Weight is up a bit but then I ate like I wanted to over the weekend. Back on track this morning.

Stay strong and faithful to Jesus!
  • Marilynsretired
    su2d9vm6askd.jpg
  • bren5535
    Oh my.... I was ready to whine! My new books were not loading on my Kindle...I went to look at my content/devices, to hand deliver as it were...didn't work. Saw on questions about settings? had never seen or used, but found it to sync...then realized with my new wi-fi info, I needed to adjust my Kindle as well. I am now up and running.

I think I'll have some breakfast....and get a nap in a bit.
  • Restfinder
    Woohoo, Bren. Sometimes it just ain't easy, but you figured it out!

I have four Kindles right now. I keep two in the living room and two in the bedroom. I like to play games when I'm watching TV or listening to a book in either place. Sometimes I have to hit that sync button just to make sure my book loads in the same place from one Kindle to the other.

Doing well. Feeling very tired today. I went to sleep about 10, woke up about 1:30 and it was about 3:15 when I went back to sleep. I got up around a quarter to seven. I'm doing my cranberry juice and taking a 100% cranberry powder, but I am still getting up during the night to go to the bathroom. Hopefully that means that I am getting rid of excess fluid! My weight was down about .4 of a pound this morning, so hopefully it will keep moving in that direction.

Love y'all.
  • bren5535
    I should have given myself a high five. I was very happy to get things done...like the closed captioning thing last week on my new remote. For some reason, I lost the reverse channel option and have to enter the numbers to switch back. Maybe I'll google that one day.

I haven't used my Fire in about 2 years and only then because I'd left my # 2 at the office. It's too heavy for my weak wrists! I used to play games on it a lot, back in the day. This number 2, I've had since 2015 and I had number 1 for only 4 years before it went out. I threw it away! Now I wonder if it was salvageable? Oh well...

I've been having a lot of those nights as well. I can rest during the day tho, now that I'm not working. I don't have the energy needed most days to do my "homework" like I used to. The knee, back, hips and feet need to sync like my Kindle?
    I haven't gone to get the knees screened, due to the pain from lying flat on my back...wondering if they'd do both at once and not make me lie there 2 hours? I'll google that too. Tho I honestly don't want to go, even. I told her I'd not follow thru with any "treatment" so why bother?
  • Restfinder
    They want you to do therapy three or four days a week! For someone like me, who doesn't drive, that puts out another person and I won't do that. That's just hard on us old folks anyway! I know the therapy for my shoulder was pretty intensive. Mom was happy to take me two days a week, which wasn't too bad.

They used to buy back old Kindles. You'd send it back (they would pay for that) and they'd give you a $20 discount on your new Kindle. I probably have 10 Kindles laying around the house (at least). I sent back the ones that didn't work, but some of them, the readers, are at least 10 years old now. I couldn't get any new books to download on the one reader but can read what books are still on it. I usually wait for a good sale before I buy another one. The ones I have now are working fine, although they have an occasional glitch, restarting it usually takes care of it. I listen mostly to the books and then play on the other one.

Wade's birthday is today! Woohoo, we are the same age until the 31st, then I'm older than him again. I plan on having some of his pineapple upside down cake today. Mom always made this for him on his birthday's, so we thought it appropriate to make one for him today. It turned out awesome! We made it in an iron skillet rather than the 9 X 13 that mom, for some reason, started making hers in. Wade will be retiring in two days as well. We are really looking forward to that! No, we don't have a pile of money saved up, but we have enough (thank you, Mom), but we also know how to live with little (there was a time we made it on $35/week). Wade wanted to have more time to help with the ministry and work with the youth on music. He'll also be able to be at all the services rather than missing some for work. So important in these last days.

Love y'all.
  • Marilynsretired
    o1yg25vma72n.jpg

Sorry for being missing in action the last 3 days but have been in the hospital - found out I had kidney stones and one was blocking the tube to allow me to pee - there was in hospital for 3 days.

Am now going to be as I am tired, and the meds have started to work
  • bren5535
    I hope you guys had something special for Wade's Birthday...and woohoo...retirement on the horizon...what joy!

Yep...PT requires commitment I can't give it. I was so frustrated the time I went for my hip...only on my off days as they closed at 5:00 and my hearing problem tripled the irritation. No fun was had nor improvement as I ended up with the flu and was unable to go for 3 weeks and was booted from the roster. I did not care!

Oh no Marilyn! So sorry to hear of this hospital run. Hope you feel better quickly. You've really had a rough row to hoe with the stones of late. I pray I can avoid that particular issue...forever.
  • Restfinder
    So sorry that this has been such a struggle, Marilyn. Praise the Lord that you are alright and hopefully on your way to being done with this problem. You continue in my prayers.

I was glad that the six months they thought my frozen shoulder would take only took six weeks! They were surprised at how quickly it healed - God is very good!

Had a headache last night. I didn't want to turn on the light to take the meds so grabbed my frozen roller out of the freezer and put it on my temples and on my carotid artery. Helped a lot until I woke up around 6:30, then I took the meds. I was up three times during the night to use the bathroom too - but was down two pounds this morning despite having eaten cake yesterday. Praise the Lord! My feet aren't as swollen, so I think that the triamterene has kicked back in!

Wade and I are trying to figure out how to deal with medical issues until we are 65 and will automatically go on medicare. Until then we are on our own. We have an HSA and can use that for back up, but if anything catastrophic happens, we need something to help with that. We are looking into our options. We will be able to use his work insurance until the end of the month, praise the Lord for that! The Lord is our Great Physician and He already knows what is going to be in our future, so He will guide us as we work through this. I love Him so much!

Love y'all.

• connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,809 Member
    I have been absent! Sorry. Life has just gotten in the way. I went through a lot of the messages, but it was impossible to get through everything. Hope everyone is doing well. I am still fighting all of these diets (diabetic, uric acid, no/low sodium, and low potassium). I finally found that the kidney diet pretty much covers all of those. That is making it much easier. It is really odd, though because so many of the healthy options are not on there, but more "unhealthy" options are okay. No whole wheat or multi grain breads, but white bread is okay; no brown rice but white rice is okay; no whole wheat pastas but white pasta is okay. Strange to me. Anyway, I am cooking and we are eating. I can't say that it is as good as it used to be, but we aren't going hungry.