Chat Cafe

Options

Replies

• LosinSusin
    LosinSusin Posts: 4,767 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Linda, how lovely to have super fresh bread for your grandchildren! You're making special memories with them. πŸ’•

It's raining heavily here again and the river at the bottom of our Village is 7.5 m higher than normal. We took a little walk down to see it.

Here's a before photo where the community garden, BBQs and walking areas are.

41cisvw69pug.jpg

Here's how it started to get inundated. The water is higher now.

2n96x81cw1rv.jpg

Colin took a video of how fast the water is moving but MFP doesn't allow video uploads. We're completely safe. Our houses are built on higher ground.

• Healthyme7410
    Healthyme7410 Posts: 9,919 Member
    Options
    @losinsusan155 I am glad that your house is built on higher ground. We lived in a town many years ago that was next to a river and they had their houses on platforms near the river when it flooded. I remember the flooding and not being able to get accross the little town sometimes to get our mail for a while. We also lived on the high ground where we were safe.

We are expecting a warming in the weather this coming week. It should be in the 50's with snow again at the end of the week. We have a saying here that is you do not like the weather, just wait a day and it will change. 😁 This is true expecially in the winter time.
  • LosinSusin
    Options
    Last nda, you understand what it's like to have floods. The platforms for houses is something I have not heard about. It's still raining here but the low is slowly moving south to flood other areas. Coin has just walked down to the river to see how high it is today. I imagine it is higher as it rained all night again and is still raining today though falls are a little lighter.

Glad you are getting nicer weather there now. Ours will change for the better, I'm sure!

Marilyn, I hope you are alright. Thinking of you. πŸ’•

Judith, thinking of you too. πŸ’•
  • 316Judith
    316Judith Posts: 7,705 Member
    Options
    Sunday Blessings All

May your day be blessed abundantly. Enjoy your Sunday Services and time with your family.

Marilyn; my prayers continue for you and your family for a speedy recovery. Love Hugs and Prayers my friend!

Susan, so sorry to read about all the rain and flooding in your area, but am so glad you and Colin are safe. Praying these floods and rain stop and better weather comes your way.. please take care and stay safe..

Linda, wish I could hear these messages your husband is bringing to the people. I am sure it’s impacting many lives for the Kingdom of God!
    Your bread sounds so delicious, sure your daughter and family enjoyed. Perhaps you can post your recipe on our recipe page. Look forward to eating bread and other foods once my surgery and treatment is completed.

Blessings all, enjoy reading all your comments which keeps us all up to date on each other’s lives! God Bless you… β€οΈπŸ™πŸ€—
  • Healthyme7410
    Options
    I had a wonderful day today. The sermon was on grace verses truth. Truth without grace can be mean but grace without truth can be a license to sin. We need to have a balance with telling the truth with grace in a way that the person does not feel condemned but encouraged to change to become more like Jesus. After church my daughter and 3 of my grandkids went to the Butterfly Pavillion. They have a room where beautiful butterflies fly freely and they will land on your hand if you are very careful to stand still. The kids put orange juice on their hands to see if they could lure them in. One butterfly stayed on my granddaughters hand for several minutes with it's "tongue" dabbing at the juice. One butterfly landed on my blouse and walked a bit was seemed to be in a hurry to get on with other things. They also have a display of fish and coral in big tanks, starfish and horseshoe crabs you can pet and a trantula that will walk on your hand. I held "Rosie" the trantula and it was surprising how little she weighed in spite of her size.

I was sorry to hear from Marilyn that she and her family have covid. I am praying that she is on the road to recovery and can be about her usual duties soon.

I don't think I will post my recipe for the artisan bread because it was just fun project but I will probaby not be making it again. It was a very coarse and dense bread. The crust was so crispy, it was very hard to cut and even harder to chew. It was OK and the kids had fun trying to gnaw on it like a dog. I do have a favorite whole wheat bread sweetened with honey that I used to make twice a week for my family that I really like. I am trying to stay away from gluten to help my arthritis so I have not made it in a while, I will try to post that recipe sometime.
  • LosinSusin
    Options
    Judith, the rain stopped today and our Caboolture River subsided. The Brisbane River is tidal and is still flooding. 1500 houses are under water and many businesses. We were able to go check our caravan for links today. It had not sprung any leaks, thankfully. The rain is supposed to start again in a few days. This is a problem with the ground so saturated. Thank you for praying.

I'm so sorry Marilyn's family has Covid. Praying for healing.

Linda, your day sounds absolutely lovely. Glad you could do all that. I hear you on not wanting to eat gluten. It and sugar makes my arthritis worse. I found a bread in a mug I can make with almond flour. Maybe I'll post that one up for you all.
  • Healthyme7410
    Options
    Susan - thanks for the bread in a mug recipe. I will try it. I do miss bread a lot.
    Today our temperature is 64 and sunny. I am going for a walk with a friend this afternoon and I am looking forward to it. I still have other tasks to do for the school though before I get to have a break.

My husband comes home tomorrow evening. I do miss him but I also have enjoyed getting some me time reading. I stayed up until 2am this morning finishing a book. I had put it down to go to sleep but my mind kept thinking abput what the ending was going to be so I got up and finished the book to keep my mind quiet. I do get caught up in the stories I read.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Evening Hello Everyone,

Linda, thanks for sharing your day about the butterfly pavilion, what a lovely day spent with family. Yes the artisan bread would be dense and hard to chew but hope you post the one with honey, sounds yummy, I understand about gluten and arthritis, it’s been so long since I could eat any kind of bread I had forgotten about the issues gluten causes to arthritis sufferers. You made me chuckle about staying up all night to finish your book. Hope your hubby got home safely.

Susan, thanks for update on the flooding and rain. Happy your caravan is safe and no leaks. So sorry about those 1500 homes under water and all the surrounding business, such devastation to have that much destruction from flooding. Was hoping the Brisbane River flooding had subsided. I feel for the people who are going thru this. I am glad you and Colin live on higher ground and are not in danger of flood waters. My prayers continue for you and the flooded areas in your country. Your bread in the mug sounds like a yummy recipe, heard of cake in a mug but never seen recipes for bread. If you can please share your recipe!

Marilyn, my prayers are with you and your family that you will feel better soon and recover from Covid.

God Bless you all. Tomorrow we begin a brand new month. Let’s keep pushing ahead for a fantastic month! 😊
  • LosinSusin
    Options
    Hi Linda and Judith. The bread recipe has been posted in our recipe thread. Expect it to be different from wheat bread! You can actually toast it if you want as well but it will be a different texture.

The floods continue. Brisbane River is tidal do is expected to rise again tonight. There's so much devastation and northern New South Wales is also being ruined. So many people have had to be rescued from their rooftops by Army helicopter. There have been eight deaths so far.

Our caravan was quite alright. I am very grateful for that.

• Healthyme7410
    Options
    With the wonderful warm weather we are having I am drooling over my see catalague looking for ideas of what to buy. It will be several months before we can plant outdoors but we can start some seeds inside. We have a plant light that helps them germinate and grow since we do not have a lot of sunlight coming through the windows of our house. Last year we had a lot of blossom rot on our tomatoes so we will need to watch for that this year. I read that to prevent this you can put powdered milk in the water you use to water with. It gives them calcium similar to the eggs shells we used last year to help the plants.

I cant stay on here too long because I have some cleaning to do, some yogurt to make and dinner to start before my husband comes home tonight. It will be almost midnight before he comes so he may not notice what I have cleaned but at least I will know it was done.
  • LosinSusin
    Options
    We're going to church tonight so I will be getting dinner ready in a minute

Still finding out about people who have lost everything in the floods. 15000 homes went under and many shops. We watched a houseboat on TV get snagged an DC pulled under the raging Brisbane River water in about 10 seconds flat. A 76 yo man was on board and he survived, thanks to people helping him out.
  • Healthyme7410
    Options
    Flooding is so dangerous if you get into the strong currents. I am sorry about the houseboat but glad he was able to get out safely. The homes that are underwater will certainly be ruined with the water as well as the mess to clean up when the water goes down. Nature can be devistating. I was just looking at pictures of the houses that were burnt down in the wildfire we had two months ago near our house. The power of the fire was unbelievable in the destruction that it caused. My prayers go out to those involved.

My husband came home last night safe and sound. It is good to be back to normal now. Of course in this world "normal" changes with the situation. We are now able to be inside without wearing masks for covid. They are watching closely to see if our numbers go up with this relaxing of the regulations. I went for my 3 month check-up on my varicose vein procedures and they are still requiring masks in the office.

• 316Judith
    Options
    Good Morning All

Susan, my heart goes out to the people who have lost so much. Floods are so devastating. My prayers continue for the people in your area that have lost so much. Praying for safety for you and everyone and trusting the rains will cease and the flood waters dry up soon! Take care my friend. Thank you for posting the recipe! I look forward to trying it when I get my treatments completed.

Linda, thanks for sharing the powdered milk and water solution to use on your tomatoe plants to help prevent rot. I grow tomatoes yearly and will try this, never heard of this but will give it a try. So happy your husband is back home.

Have a blessed day and weekend ahead. πŸ˜ŠπŸ™
  • Healthyme7410
    Options
    We are traveling over the mountain to our quiet retriement home. I will try to come back later to post on the rest of the threads.
  • LosinSusin
    Options
    Linda, glad your husband is home and you get to go to your retirement place. Yes, nature can be destructive and cruel and people lose much in natural disasters. So sorry about the fires near you. The floods here are subsiding at last.

Judith, you're welcome for the bread recipe. I hope you like it! It's not hard to chew at all. Thank you for your prayers. Praying for you too.

Marilyn, thinking of you. πŸ™

It was a cleaning day here. It's always nice to have fresh linen and towels. Cathy vacuumed and mopped for me and cleaned the bathrooms too while I did the washing and changed the bed and towels.
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,534 Member
    Options
    8lzxh4t6b49n.jpg

Daughter is now negative for covid - so thankful for that
    Hubby and I are still positive - hubby has no symptons but still positive where I have symptons and positive.

It has been a difficult time and looks like it could go on for some time. Talked to the doctor yesterday re the intense back pain and he said covid will cause inflamation in the joints and stay that way for a couple of weeks after you are clear from covid. So far other than the muscle relaxer I am now taking at night for my back, I have not had to take a tyenlol since 5 pm yesterday which is good as it tells me that things are starting to settle down.

But I have been on the computer for about 30 minutes and am getting tired (leftover sympton from covid) so need to go and stretch out to 'rest'
  • Healthyme7410
    Options
    Marilyn - I am glad your pain is lessening. Rest was the best treatment for me and my aches and pains with covid.

Judith - thankyou for the frittata recipe. My daughter makes these with different types of ingredients and they are delicious. She bakes them in the oven in a cast iron skillet. Maybe I will make one soon. thanks for the Easter devotionals. It helps keep me on track about what Easter is really about.

We have our Friday night group of friends coming over tonight. We have not been here long enough to make it dirty so cleaning should not take very long.
  • LosinSusin
    Options
    Marilyn, it's good to hear from you. It sounds like your health is finally moving in the right direction. Praise God for answered prayer. Glad you are resting when you need it. Keep taking care of yourselves.

Linda, have a nice time with your friends. It's fun to catch up with them, I'm sure!

Judith, thinking of you. πŸ™

It's a nice day here though humid and hot. I got the church financials up to date. Col is out playing lawn bowls. A quiet day for me.
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,534 Member
    Options
    gplsx16c3y0g.jpg
  • Healthyme7410
    Options
    Its a gray day today with possible snow/rain mix predicted. The nice warm 60's are a thing only in my memory as it is back in the 30's today. I was a little concerned that with the warm weather the plants might start budding and then get killed with colder weather again. My daffodils are coming up but they are hardy. My grandson's birthday is March 13th and it always blooms around that day. I call it my Victor flower.