Chat Cafe

Replies

• Healthyme7410
    Healthyme7410 Posts: 10,566 Member
    We I make it through the first weekend of my classes. They took pity on me and changed the starting time one hour later. I still had to get up early but not quite so much as before. Now with the daylight savings time, the time will be one hour early but the clock will not show it. I will need to go to bed earlier and get up all week earlier so I can manage next weekend. There are only 4 of us in the class so we get plenty of time to share our ideas and learn about each other. Two of the women already have started their Parish Nurses group and the other two are myself and my friend who are gathering information to start one. I feel very inadequate because most of them have masters degrees, have taught in universities or are a nurse practitioner and I have just a lonely RN license. I do have a lot of experience so that counts too.

I hope you are having a good weekend! We have church at 4pm so I plan to spend my Sunday morning sleeping to get caught up on what I missed this morning. :D
  • LosinSusin
    LosinSusin Posts: 5,439 Member
    Good for you, Marilyn.

Our sermon this morning was on 1Thess 5. It was so wonderful to think about what is ahead of us in our eternal life with Christ.

• 316Judith
    316Judith Posts: 8,639 Member
    Good Morning All

Thanks for sharing; great to catch up with you all.

God’s Blessings on your 1st day of Daylight savings time. Hope you remembered to turn your clocks 1 hour ahead last night.

I love this time of year where it stays lighter out which makes days longer. Spring time is always so beautiful seeing new growth sprout up in our gardens. The temps are warming but it’s still too chilly to plant outdoors yet!

I start outdoor planting around Mother’s Day when I receive my Hanging baskets for Mother’s Day from my 2 kids and grandkids.

Have a Blessed Day, enjoy your Sunday services and family time today! 🙏⛪️📖❤️
  • Healthyme7410
    Yesterday my nephew's wife had a baby that was three weeks early. He is a strong baby and seems to be doing well. He was in the 6 pound and a few ounces so he was a good weight. Today is my youngest grandson's 10th birthday. I am sad that I can not be there to celebrate with him. We will celebrate on Easter when we celebrate all the spring birthdays including two grandaughters, one grandson and my birthday. This is the third time my birthday has been on Easter.

The sermon was about making boundaries from the book "The Church that Heals". It was really good and thought provoking that we can not blame others when we do have a voice.
  • LosinSusin
    Congratulations on the new baby boy in your family, Linda.

Judith thank you for the lovely spring description.

I am just flying by tonight. Am really sleepy! Will try to come back earlier tomorrow.
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,588 Member
    bemnrmayjdqt.jpeg
  • LosinSusin
    Way to go, Marilyn.

I'm going to Ukelele practice this afternoon.
  • Healthyme7410
    We went up to our trailer to make sure it is ready to take up in the mountains and to put the tag on the license plate so we are not ticketed for not being licensed. We are hoping to make the bed a bit bigger so we can keep from kicking each other as we move in the bed. Our son was supposed to be here this week to help us but his plans changed so we are trying to make changes in the trailer without his help. We are not very good so we will probably call him for instructions when we actually start the work. We were measuring today and will need to buy the materials yet.

I recieved my manual for the class I am taking so am working on the homework tonight. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed since it has been a long time since I took a class like this. Things have changed in the nursing world since I was in school so I am feeling a bit uninformed therefore I have to work harder than the ones that are still working. My friend said she will try to help me catch up before the class on Friday.
  • 316Judith
    Good Morning All

Congratulations Linda on the new baby boy, in spite of being early he was a great weight. Trust he is doing well and gaining weight. Hope your course is going well? The reason for your class, are you planning some kind of return to work? I sure know what you mean about all the changes. I have a friend who is an RN and works in Palliative care. We share a lot and hearing about all the procedures and meds I can see how it has changed, medical technology has improved drastically even in the short time I've been out. I look forward to hearing about your course and what plans you have.

Thank you Marilyn for sharing.

Susan, how was your Ukulele practice? What types of music are you learning? Have you any music specials you are learning to play at your Church or do you play for your own enjoyment?

Hope you all have a great day and week ahead...Stay safe and be well....May you all be Blessed in the Lord! 😊🙏
  • Marilynsretired
    dabc6izyqgb5.jpg
  • Healthyme7410
    Judith - my class is about Faith Community Nursing. Our church wants to start a volunteer visiting nurse program for those who are in the hospital, on hospice, lonely, etc. This course also has information about setting up a program for teaching life skills, finding resources for those who do not know what is available and what the community needs. I mainly want to do the visitation as a volunteer. I have had enough of paperwork to last me for the rest of my life. My friend who is doing this also really loves to teach and learn new things. She will be doing the other part and we will also try to find others who want to help. Our congregation is has a section of people that are getting older and needs are showing up that we can fill. We also have campus and married ministry but we are looking at the older group.

We are starting on our project to make the bed wider in the trailer. We bought a new mattress for our bed here at the house and will be taking our older mattress up to the mountains. There is a possiblility that mice might get in the trailer and we do not want to put the new mattress in there. We also bought plywood to put under the mattress that will support the wider mattress. We will try to go to there the trailer is stored next week and see what we can do on our own. I hope the bed will not be crooked and we are either rolling into each other or falling out of the bed. :D We will be careful when we measure so it should be OK.
  • LosinSusin
    Linda, it is daunting to go back to study but I think you will find it rewarding! I hope the bed in the van turns out OK for you both.

Judith, I have just started learning the Ukelele with two others at our Village so am not good enough to play for anybody yet. Lol! We have just started with 10 songs that we all sort of knew. I can't change chords fast enough to keep up with them yet. It's fun but I have no plans to do anything else with it for a good long while. I sing in the congregation at church and have played my flute there for a very long time, though the asthma has made it not possible the last six months as I cough a lot. I cough when singing too so no more solos. Sometimes I can sneak in an alto part without coughing but I am not what I used to be with my voice and playing instruments. I sing for the Lord Who understands all.

Marilyn, gratitude is always good.

• Marilynsretired
    33berpiddje7.jpg
  • Healthyme7410
    Susan - growing up I wanted to play the flute so badly but my mother said learning the piano was much more practical. I do not think I will try to learn a new instrument at this late date. Our granddaughter plays the clarinete in the school band and is getting much better with practice. I was able to attend one of her concerts when I was in Denver a few weeks ago.

I hope everyone else is doing well. Time for bed so "pleasant dreams" to whomever is sleeping when I am also.
  • LosinSusin
    edited March 2022
    Oh Linda, you're never too old for music! I am in my late 60s and am not daunted about learning a new instrument 😄 It doesn't matter that I am not perfect at it. It always cheers me up to sing and play. If we lived closeby, I would come around and teach you how to play the flute 🎶🎶 I used to teach others to play and am sure we could get somewhere. Funny, I always wanted to play the piano and my parents said that was too much money to spend on an instrument! Lol!

Marilyn, lovely quote today, something to aim for.

Judith, hope you are doing well.

We had lovely visitors today. They came for coffee and it turned into them staying for lunch. It was very enjoyable to spend some time with them. Now I am waiting for a grocery delivery. I was dusting. How interesting is that! Lol!

Blessings on your day. It is St Patrick's day here already, so I am wishing you a happy Saint Patrick's Day with this car that I made.

fhf1sk3sjfok.jpg

• 316Judith
    Evening Hello Everyone,

Marilyn, love the inspirational quotes you are sharing, keep them coming, indeed they are ministering.

Susan, you and I have more things in common, for years up to the time I was diagnosed I sang on our Worship Team, years ago I was in our Church Choirs and sang in quartets and with a friend with singing at a couple Memorial services. Our church had the Singing Christmas Tree production that I was a part of, which I so enjoyed. I played piano as a young girl but gave it up which I regret. It sounds like you are enjoying learning the ukulele. Sorry your asthma prevents you from singing as much as you would hope to. I will keep you in prayer that you will be healed and be able to return to singing again, yes we sing for Jesus!

Linda, I love this idea of Community Faith Nursing with your Church. Wish we had something like this in ours, years ago after moving out West before working in the hospitals I did Home Nursing with our Health Unit and loved it. Much different from working in Rehab and in Paediatrics, certainly different king of nursing. You will do well in the visiting those who are in palliative care and the shut ins. You have such a gentle quiet spirit that comes out here and I know the people you visit will be so encouraged. Hope the new bed works out and you find the extra space more comfortable for you both.

Blessings on your evening, sleep well, see you all in the morning. ❤️🙏🤗
  • Marilynsretired
    6ncpe40h2kl4.jpg
  • Healthyme7410
    We are having a St Patrick's Day (a day late) potluck tomorrow night so I am in the bread making mode. I made dinner rolls but did not have the right kind of milk and they were not very smooth on top. We will have to eat them and I am making more for tomorrow. I am also making Irish Soda Bread. I have not made it before so this is a new challenge. The recipe sounds like biscuit dough using buttermilk. I did put up my whole wheat bread recipe on the recipe thread for any who are interested in making regular bread.

I have been working all week on assignments for class tomorrow and Saturday. Getting back into working on homework and using my brain is hard! I am sure it will be worth it when I "graduate".

My bread is about ready to be made into rolls. I hope this one turns out better than the first one! Have a great evening.
  • Marilynsretired
    6ftwbf5e28jh.jpg
  • Healthyme7410
    edited March 2022
    My second attempt at bread was much better. I made two dozen and all were gone at the end of the meal. I did make Irish Soda bread but I did not like the metalic aftertaste (probably from the soda in the bread) so I bought some to take. I tasted it and it had better flavor but I liked my texture better. It did not go over as well as my rolls so I gave them away instead of bringing them home. I do not think I will make that again!

Judith - I hope you had some good information given to you at your appointment today. I look forward for an update.