Change 1 Letter in 4 to Make a Word

Options

Replies

• 316Judith
    316Judith Posts: 7,578 Member
    Options
    You are so right Susan, it’s ok if the Birds in our Garden eat the Insects in the Trap providing they are not filled with poison, we sure don’t want to Part company with our beloved Birds!

PART
  • Healthyme7410
    Healthyme7410 Posts: 9,836 Member
    Options
    Susan - you have some pretty interesting birds in Australia that have rapt attention. My birds so not seem to have that long of an attention span. It is hard to "wrap" that concept around in my brain.

WRAP
  • LosinSusin
    LosinSusin Posts: 4,690 Member
    Options
    Yes, we all have to draw our own conclusions about the bird kingdom. Many birds here do have very focused hunting behaviour when chasing insects, small lizards and snsils etc.

DRAW
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Yes that’s true Susan, we do need to draw our own conclusions! As we 3 Gals Wade thru the info learning about the Birds in our part of the World there will be much to learn and share!
    I love watching Birds, seeing how they hunt, eat and feed their young!

WADE
  • Healthyme7410
    edited March 17
    Options
    The most common bird I see in the brown house sparrow. They do not fly south in the winter so I see them all year round. They are hardy birds and eat a "wide" variety of seeds, grasses and insects. They have become an invasive species in some areas. They can be aggressive regarding their territory and they "often kill native birds in order to take over their nesting sites (i.e. bluebird boxes or purple martin houses)".Dec 7, 2022 (Google)

WIDE
  • LosinSusin
    Options
    Oh, we have House Sparrows here too. I wonder where they are native? They nest in houses and shops, at signs and even in traffic lights sometimes. It's hard to weed out the native from the not so native birds, but I know we also have Common Mynah birds which are aggressive to native birds, breed fast and become a bit if a pest to humans. People plant native shrubs and trees to attract native birds, as the Mynahs don't eat native flora.

WEED

A Common Mynah picture from the 'Net

l5zxxms1qceq.jpg

• 316Judith
    Options
    Thank you for sharing Susan and Linda, it’s amazing what we can find on Google the picture of the Mynah Bird is so striking, beautiful looking bird.

I have a Bird Bath that provides water, but when it’s bitterly cold the water freezes but I have seen the birds pecking on the ice to get some form of water. It’s interesting to watch them. For our birds lets spread SEED over our garden to feed them!

SEED
  • Healthyme7410
    Options
    I will get my supply of seeds to "feed" the birds when I start my garden. I will make sure the seeds I plant do not encourage weeds in my garden!

FEED
  • LosinSusin
    Options
    Could we get a bird feeder for the birds, perhaps? One that doesn't encourage squirrels and rats? We have rats here but very few squirrels. I know you have them though. I'll heed your advice about what kind of bird feeder to get.

HEED
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Thank you Linda and Susan, let’s do a Good Deed and buy a Bird Feeder for the Main Garden in our community Garden to attract our Wild Birds to eat there to keep them safe from predators in our community that are just waiting for the Bird’s guard to be down.

DEED
  • Healthyme7410
    Options
    I saw that there were some tall grasses growing in the garden already. Maybe we can ask someone for permission to cut some of them so we can make a "reed" basket to put the seeds in for the birds.

REED
  • LosinSusin
    Options
    Oh, now we're getting crafty and thrifty! Great ideas, Judith and Linda. I am all for weaving a bird feeder basket out of reeds. What a great way to fill the need.

NEED
  • 316Judith
    edited March 20
    Options
    Yes Linda and Susan, great idea for weaving a bird feeder basket out of reeds. Yes Susan it’s a great way to fill in the need! We could make Dens in our Garden with weaving several bird feeders out of the reeds all around the Garden meeting the Need of several Birds!

DENS
  • 316Judith
    Options
    So What do you ladies think about making Dens in our Garden with weaving several bird feeders out of the reeds all around the Garden meeting the Need of several Birds who are making their home in our Community Garden? The Birds that have been SENT our way will have a safe place to live!

SENT
  • Healthyme7410
    edited March 21
    Options
    I think the dens in the garden to meet the needs of the birds is a great idea. It will not cost much since we will be able to make a lot ourselves. Anytime I can save a "cent" I am happy.

CENT
  • LosinSusin
    Options
    Yes, let's make dens for the birds. Very cost effective and the birds might appreciate it, though they do like the building blocks to make their own nests. Have you ever seen a Bower Bird structure? The male bird builds it to attract a mate. He collects lots of blue things to make it more attractive. What a GENT!

GENT
    w4rjalzhs4mw.jpg

• LosinSusin
    edited March 21
    Options
    I have seen nests where the birds have bent the straw to make them fit. Maybe we should leave some lengths if straw for them to do this. Osprey bests look far more messy than a Bower Bird's nest though.

BENT

pf147rj8dp22.jpg
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Yes good idea Susan, we need a fair amount of straw; in past people lent supplies for home Garden Bird Feeders. Let’s see who will help us out for our dear Feathered friends.

LENT
  • LosinSusin
    Options
    We could probably let the birds have some lint for their nests, too. They like to make their nests warm and cosy. I wonder where we could find lint? The dryers will have some but I think we need more.

LINT
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Good idea Susan, maybe we should look at the Mint Wool Fleece Mart Shop we likely could get pieces of fleece- wool that would be great for providing warmth to our feathered friends!

MINT