Daily Eating on a Budget Chat

Options

Replies

• the_frugal_chef
    the_frugal_chef Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Howdy folks!

Today, we finally got a plumber to come over and shut off the valve to the dishwasher. It was causing a major leak going through the floor and into our basement. The dishwasher and the components froze during the deep freeze. He did not charge us for coming out!!

He will be back in a week to replace a toilet and the valve underneath. He gave us an upfront cost to do it. It's not the cheapest, but it's within reason. I prefer upfront pricing, and don't trust plumbers who don't give you a quote. They usually stick one with a ridiculous bill.

The cheapest plumber kept blowing us off.

I've been flushing the toilet with a bucket of water. it works! I remember my uncles flushing their broken toilet that way on their little farm. I was only 3 years old and remembered that! I also remember I was terrified if that toilet! 😆

On the main farm, they had an outhouse for years until they finally had a bathroom put in. It wasn't a working farm. It was the main home. I remember my grandfather teaching me how to properly wash my hands at the little sink while I was standing on a stool. Such simple memories flood my heart with love.

My maternal grandparents immigrated from Italy around 1917 or 1918. Grandad came first. Grandma came a few years later with my two oldest uncles Pat and Earnest. They were all very sweet and gargarious people. Grandma had 8 kids in all.

We used to go "down home" on Sundays to visit. All the relatives congregated there. We'd be fed a big old pasta meal, and my grandma and granddad would switch off cooking the sauce. Grandma's sauce was a lot better, but I really miss the taste of grandad's sauce. It turned out his mother was Greek! He used a lot of fresh sausage which made it really greasy, and I guess he added a lot of sugar as it was sweet too!

I cook like my mother's and my grandma's sauce.

My cousins and I would play on the farm every Sunday. I got to see granddad feed the chickens. It was a really special time for me which ended when I joined the youth orchestra in junior high. Our practices were on Sunday.

There was an up portion to the farm and a lower portion. The original house was on the lower portion which was could flood. It was a two room house--very small. They built higher up, probably after the 1937 flood.

We'd trek down to the lower portion of the farm to catch minnows to take home. We had a lot of fun.

On one trek, I was walking in the very front. I was only 3 or 4. My brother, Mike, yelled at me to freeze in mid step and then turn and run back to the house as fast as I could. I did. It turned out that a rattlesnack was up and ready to bite. My brother saved my life that day. We were not close to a hospital.

I always think of It's a Wonderful Life, when the older brother saved the younger brother when he broke through the ice. How life would have really been changed if I had perished.

I was always employed in helping professions, and comforted a lot of ppl. If I was not here, I would not have helped them.

It also would have broken my parents' heart.

Life is strange. Life is hard. Life can be beautiful.

Peace.

Awe.... My grandparents all came over on the boat.

I miss my mother's homemade spaghetti, homemade spaghetti sauce, homemade raspberry pie and homemade raspberry squares. The raspberries were hand-picked by the men of the family and frozen then thawed whenever to prepare such desserts. The tomatoes were grown in the garden.

• the_frugal_chef
    Options
    CSEGUIN2 wrote: »
    Good Evening Everyone!

Today was a busy, foggy, rainy day with a hint of sun in the late afternoon. Got up at 6 am to take the garbage out for pickup for my client and ourselves. Also did a few things online then went back to bed till 9 am. Went to the clinic and got antibiotics for my tooth and also had the doctor check my wrist. My wrist is healing really well but have to keep it wrapped at work until my last day. Yes it is my last day on the 15th. Found out from the girl I work with during the week that part of the deal for the organization to get the contract was that they couldn't hire the original staff to work there. Whatever....I can still apply with the organization to work in another one of their kitchens if I choose. So I have decided that I will continue to pray and look into all my other options of opportunities. During work we had an incident with a resident. He seemed fine when I served him but based on what he said my pulled pork was nasty and caused him to slam his dishes and break 2 plastic glasses. Later on he tried to come back in and apologize I cut him short and told him I didn't want to hear it tonight and would be better off trying tomorrow. This is not the first time he disrespected me or our dishes. He was told last time that if he ever did it again he would not be let off the hook so easily and wouldn't be welcome in the dinning room. Unfortunately I am a kind heart and by tomorrow I will accept his apology and I will let him in the dinning room. Afterall it's their home and they may be stressed knowing that things are going to be changing soon.

Here's me on my walk today. I talked myself into going and enjoyed every minute of it. 30k0wkwl8acn.jpg

Have you finished your schooling? Why not find a position in the fitness and nutrition field?

• beccaboo1276414
    beccaboo1276414 Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    It sounds like that resident may have an anger problem. Glad you are forgiving.

Wtg for the walking! Great pic!

Today, I got some chores done by going out. Another big snow is expected soon, so I did what I needed to do. The post office is in a small Ruth hunt's candy store and they had pieces of fudge to sample. Whoops! Guess you walked out with two small pieces of fudge! I also got mild beer cheese that my sister loves. I like it with fresh celery. There will be some muching today.

• CSEGUIN2
    CSEGUIN2 Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Thank you for all the kind words. I am not to worried about finding a job and will look forward to some time off in-between. My friend and I have not had a day off since December 18th as we are the only 2 cooks left.

Yes the resident has anger issues. I am sure they are related to his mental illness. He isn't the only one. My Son has mental illness as well and he does the same thing among other things.

No I haven't completed my studies yet. Truly haven't found much time since June it seems. But hope to get back to it soon.

Yes the river behind me in my walk photos is the Detroit River with the Detroit skyline.

Today has been rainy. My walk was short but longer than if I caught the bus at the stop near my house. As I was walking to the bus stop I seen it go right by. So I walked until I seen the bus coming about 16 minutes. When I left the grocery store and was walking across the parking lot I could see the bus coming down the street. Such good timing. Got home and made the base to my taco dip. I am starting to get a routine that seems to be working for the time being. At work the resident that acted out yesterday apologized to me and explained that he was having a bad day. I explained that it was hurtful to me when he never complains about my cooking. While I served him we discussed how important it was to not take their bad day out on
    everyone else.

Tomorrow is my appointment to get my cavity fixed. Hope it solves all the pain.
  • beccaboo1276414
    Options
    Munching done. Beer cheese and fresh celery are delish. I'm up 12 pounds since before the holidays. I made a good old fashioned beef chili today, and plan to have it over the weekend.
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Becca you've got this!

Today has been a long day. Got my cavity fixed around 11:30 am and was still frozen when I went to work. Now I feel like the left side of my face has been punched. I have never been in so much pain after a filling. I am just hoping that I can sleep tonight and the pain is gone by work time tomorrow.
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Today has been a rough day. Slept most of the morning so I wouldn't feel the discomfort in my mouth. Then got up and did what needed to be done. Had lunch and got ready for work. I have pinpointed the pain to be my jaw for sure. Unfortunately the pain has increasingly gotten worse all day. The good part of the day is that work went well today. Praying for more relief tomorrow from pain. No sleeping in tomorrow as I need to go to church. It's the first service since before Christmas.
  • beccaboo1276414
    Options
    There shouldn't be so much pain to fix a cavity. I hope you are feeling better.

I started decluttering today. I got to a pile beside my chair in the den. Whoopie! Got some trash out. Did some laundry. Cleaned the kitchen. Resting now.

I will try to hit it again tonight.

My blood glucose raised again along with a fever. Anytime I do physical work, my temperature spikes. I have to ask my doc about that.

Sending hugs to all!

• CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

The pain I believe is from over extension of the jaw. As my jaw has less pain the rest of the pain leaves.

Today felt like a very long day. Got up and took my antibiotic then got ready and went to Church. Discovered they had service last week. Oh well. Had a great visit with them before and after Church. Came he and did some dishes. Then went back to bed and slept till noon. Got up had lunch and got ready for work. My Son came while I was at work. Tomorrow morning he goes to get his wisdom teeth out. My pain is now only discomfort and definitely connected to my jaw. Have not had to take Tylenol all day but will take some tonight to be on the safe side.
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Today has been cold but mostly sunny with a few flakes this morning. By the time I got to bed last night it was past midnight so only got 5.5 hrs of sleep. Son had to be at the oral surgeon by 8:20 for his wisdom teeth removal. He was quite funny. But wouldn't stop talking. Had troubles getting the cotton in when changed it and bleeding was a little out of control by the time I got back from getting his pain med prescriptions. Called the office and they told me what to do and thank God it worked. During the complication I decided that I didn't feel comfortable going to work even though it's close by. Expecially when Hubby and Son didn't call me when the bleeding seemed worse. So instead I got some dishes and studying done. It was nice to be able to cook dinner at home even if it wasn't the healthiest. Had to be soft food that Son could eat.
  • beccaboo1276414
    Options
    Howdy!

Glad the jaw pain is receding. Sometimes, I take Tylenol before going to the dentist.

90 percent of California has a flood watch. There was a big sink hole that opened up in Chatsworth.

I pray no sink holes open in my hood where my nephew lives.

Here, things are getting cold again. It was 32 degrees this morning and snow is on the way.

I am down in the dumps. Heck and double heck.
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Stay warm.

Today was cold but partly sunny. Gained 2 lbs on the scale at TOPS. Ooops. Oh well I know what I need to do to fix it. Son is doing great. Went to bed with no pain meds and he is ready to go home tomorrow after his program that he is going to. He still has many days of healing but it's time for him to start getting back to normal.

I don't know what is up Hubby's behind but he has been a grouch when I have been home. Hopefully he snaps out of it.

Work went great tonight but it's definitely starting to sink in that I am done on Sunday.
  • beccaboo1276414
    Options
    Howdy folks!

Feeling a bit better today. I am weaning myself off a pain med that is really adversely affecting my mood and motivation. I am also giving myself light therapy which seems to be helping too.

Breakfast was a simple hard boiled egg and dinner will be rotisserie chicken with a veg and a starch.

I resisted buying junk with my grocery order, but got sis a treat with apple pie. I told her I'd melt some cheddar cheese on it. She is excited!

The fur pups were very happy with their treat of shredded cheese. I will continue to get that for them, as the 6 pounder has a very small mouth, and gladly ate the shredded cheese with no problem. I give him a nutrition supplement too, as it helps his weight and regulates his BMs. The larger pup gets some too as he loves the taste of it. They both have access to their kibble. They snack on a piece of kibble here and there, unlike my other, older dogs who eat a plate of food in one sitting!

Glad your son is doing well.

Sending hugs to all!
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Glad to hear your feeling better. I have never had cheddar on my apple pie. I have always ate by itself or with ice cream.

Today was a day of sleep and work. I hate sleeping till noon. Nothing gets done but needed the sleep. Maybe tomorrow will be more active as I can go to bed earlier than the last couple of nights. Work went well for the most part. By the time I got home Hubby was in a normal mood. Talk about a 180.
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Today was another off day. The weather just is not encouraging me to get up and move before it's time to go to work. 3 more shifts. There was a lot of tension in the dining room tonight between residents. I don't know what's going on with them tonight. My friend showed up around 5:30 and helped us so we were out by 6pm. Hung at her house for a bit. She was kind enough to do some laundry for me as I was running out of uniforms and haven't gotten them done. There was no leftovers from work for dinner as we had a full house. So we ordered Wendy's on Hubbies request.
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Flurries on and off. Today was another sleep most of the morning kind of day. Probably because I chose to read in bed instead of getting up and doing something. Did get a few dishes washed and some laundry done before I had to get ready for work. Work went well. Residents were all well behaved. Glad I am able to wing things and be flexible. Planned dinner for the residents was a little short in the protein department. Ended up having to have 3 different things: veal, hamburger patties and fish burgers. They also had pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, beef gravy, cream of mushroom soup, scalloped potatoes, green beans, fruit cocktail and pineapple upside down cake. They ate well tonight.
  • the_frugal_chef
    Options
    Hey strangers!

This week has had 2 blessings food-wise for my roommates and me! I do not know how I am supposed to lose weight!

A friend gave we roommates a ton of chips and other crunchy stuff! I love to have them with sandwiches!

v2sx3n89c58k.jpeg

Then, our neighbor brought over some various tons of breads and sweets!

c1bezhnknnmq.jpeg

We are blessed.

• CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Frugal - Moderation, extra water and a little more exercise will help counter the treats.

Today was sunny but cold. Did some reading this morning then took a nap. Then did some chores around the house before lunch and work. The residents had Chinese night. Again they ate very well. They even got 2 deserts. Tomorrow will be a long day. First is Church then going in to work. Will help the boss load if needed or help my friend with whatever she needs me to do. I also have to work my regular shift as it's the final one and we need to do a final clean and have a pizza party with the residents.
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Yesterday was a very busy and productive day. Went to Church and then spent the rest of the day at work right through my last shift. There was a lot of stuff to do between preparing and serving meals. I helped pack, clean and move a lot of stuff. There was also a lot of laughs during the dinner service after all the residents were mainly fed. There was some complaints about how over done the pizza was. Well to bad it's been a busy day and they cooked faster than expected. Then the lady that works with me on the weekend evening shift was just standing around doing nothing. Her job is to serve desert and drinks and do the dishes and cleaning. Once I realized what was going on I went to help my friend with the dishes since the other lady wasn't doing it. I was pushing the dishes through the washer as quick as it would let me. I was steaming and definitely did not hold my tounge. I know she heard me as everyone else did. But she continued to do nothing. Next thing I know she snuck up on me and asked why I was doing her dishes in a not so nice tone. All I could think as I walked away was you've got to be effing kidding me. I am proud of myself for just walking away and not saying anything.

This morning got an email reminding me of my up coming exam for my food handlers certificate. Surprise! I write it on Wednesday not Thursday. Well that woke me up so I studied until I had to get ready to run some errands with my Son. Couldn't get it all done as he was missing some papers for identification. But he did have an interview with a local restaurant and gets shown the ropes on Wednesday to make pizza. I joked about him having to toss the dough in the air. He said if he had to do that it would end up on his face LoL. After he headed home I went to my friends and visited as well as made 2 trips home with stuff from work the boss didn't want to take food wise and she didn't want. Also brought a load home last night after work. Tomorrow will be another long and busy day.
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Yesterday was a crazy busy day. It was also TOPS and Weigh-in day. Gained 5.5 lbs. Ooops. Trying to find my new routine. Got Son's health card and blood work done. Went to his bank appointment. Couldn't get that done so that is now scheduled for Friday. After Son got home he called me in one of his episodes. I completely get why he was mad. Did get him calmed down but then it happened again shortly after he got off the phone and my sister got home. Cops were called and he chose to go to the hospital. While he was there I was at a meeting and waiting for an update. He was released around 11pm and stayed with us for the night.

Today was my exam for my food handlers certificate. Just waiting to find out if I passed. Also did laundry, and 3 loads of dishes. Also did some random movement to help encourage me to start moving more. Also took some me time to read as I have been tired all day with only 4.5 hrs of sleep last night.