How many minutes did I exercise? β›·πŸ‚πŸ‹οΈβ€β™€οΈπŸ€Όβ€β™€οΈπŸ€Έβ€β™€οΈβ›ΉοΈβ€β™€οΈπŸƒπŸ€ΊπŸ€Ύβ€β™€οΈπŸ§˜β€β™€οΈπŸ„β€β™€οΈπŸŠβ€β™‚οΈπŸ€½β€β™€οΈπŸš£β€β™€οΈπŸ§—β€β™€οΈπŸš΄πŸ»

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,672 Member
    Options
    I've only used the rowing machine once this year … I was so dismayed by how incredibly out of shape I am I've avoided it.

I've been rearranging some things in the house and cleaning and vacuuming and one carpet was beyond rescue so it just went out in the garbage and that necessitated juggling of other carpets to the higher carpet priority rooms and everything that comes along with that and I can't believe how ready I am for bed at night despite the afternoon lie downs.

This year has taken a lot of my steam away. I know it'll come back ... but ... but ... I don't like it. (she says like a two year old)

It's only 10 AM and the very thought of rowing makes me want to go back to bed πŸ˜‚ πŸ›Œ
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,743 Member
    edited February 9
    Options
    You know.
    It is NOT EASY to get back in a routine once you're out.
    Especially as we get older.
    The first few "sessions" whatever ARE harder.

Remember the little PAV back at 48 trying to come up with SOMETHING ANYTHING and concluding that trying for too much is the enemy of DOING SOMETHING. All I'm going to try for is to at least walk around a bit more than from couch to bed to couch.

Moving carpets is DOING SOMETHING. Taking your girl out is DOING SOMETHING. AND YOU DID IT.
    Moving the rowing machine out from under the bed is DOING SOMETHING even if you don't get to climb in it. AND YOU DID IT

You've had surgeries and "cough cough" some weight reversal.
    Of course you are feeling it.

*kittens* Laurie: a couple of months back I was looking at the slope of the dog walk and muttering how the bleep did I use to scamper up this *kitten* and I've been dealing with less than 10lbs and a pretty *kitten* minor surgical boo boo comparatively.

But, you know the drill: just grab a 4L jug of water and lug it around all day and tell me how happy you are, right?

One day 10 seconds.
    The next day 15 seconds
    The next day 20 seconds
    and up it goes

And if rowing doesn't hit the buttons... choose something else! Including tactical shopping! :smiley:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Thank you, PAV. Now I'm in a tizzy - am fighting the urge to go do some very nontactical shopping - now I'm almost tempted to pull down that rowing maching (it is a big beast - doesn't fit under the bed but leans up against the wall pretty nicely.
    Maybe if I row sufficiently (at all :) ) I can walk down to the store and pick up a treat of sorts. That seems a reasonable goal? And I do have calorie space if I employ some moderation. And perhaps if I row I won't feel like going for the treat? Hmmm...

Thank YOU, PAV.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Hmmmm tactical shopping may or may not have been mis interpreted!🀣

But I hope you interpret it in a way it works for you!

Tactical shopping involves walking to the store (mine is only 8 minutes down and another 8 up the hill so minimum 20 minute turn around and probably a bit more)

Picking up a jug of milk and walking back.

Then repeating and coming back with jello pudding powder

Then making the pudding manually.... eating it

Then repeating trip for the next pudding box!!!!πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’«πŸ€£
  • lauriekallis
    edited February 10
    Options
    No proper tactical shopping yet - but I did row for 12 minutes πŸ™‚ and I'm pondering walking to the grocery store to pick up some honey flavoured Greek yoghurt smoothie bars!
    https://www.presidentschoice.ca/product/pc-blue-menu-honey-greek-yogurt-smoothie-bars/20538592002_EA
  • PAV8888
    Options
    They also have the SKYR ones! :blush:
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,033 Member
    Options
    I'm setting myself the modest goal of three sessions of intentional activity each week, on top of my usual daily dog walking. So if I do an extra-long dog walk, or a second walk, that counts towards the target. Ditto a session at the allotment or in the garden at home. Ditto energetic housework etc. etc.

Monday - nada (just the dog walking)
    Tuesday - 70 minutes on Zwift (35kms)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Garfield? Are you making bunnies? I mean cultivating them?
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    PAV - I thought you were asking if Bella was expecting! That was a whole new avenue of conversation. :)
  • Bella_Figura
    edited February 18
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: Β»
    Garfield? Are you making bunnies? I mean cultivating them?

Yes! I'm now the proud owner of my very own bouncing baby allotment!

It's not very big (just about 70m2 of growing space) but last year I grew beetroots, leeks, carrots, onions, rainbow chard, fennel, potatoes, lettuce, rocket, tomatoes, spinach, spaghetti squash, patty pan, courgettes, dwarf green beans, strawberries, raspberries and gooseberries. And a ton of culinary herbs like parsley, basil, mint, thyme, rosemary, sage etc.

And I bartered for apples, rhubarb, blackberries, cabbage, walnuts, garlic, redcurrants, chillis, bell peppers and runner beans.

Apart from citrus fruits, I literally haven't had to buy any fruit or veg for 10 months - the freezer is now looking a little empty, but hopefully I still have enough stuff frozen, pickled and preserved to keep me going until the end of the 'hunger gap' and the spring harvest.

This year I'm growing everything I grew last year, and I'm also adding garlic, chillis, bell peppers, broccoli, brussels sprouts, kale, savoy cabbage, cauliflower, cavolo nero and rhubarb.

That's if it ever stops raining....

• Bella_Figura
    Options
    Monday 12th - nada (just the dog walking)
    Tuesday 13th - 70 minutes on Zwift (35kms)
    Wednesday 14th - an extra 1 hour walk
    Thursday - 15th - an extra 1 hour walk
    Friday 16th - 76 minutes on Zwift (32.54km)
    Saturday 17th - nada (just regular dog walk)
    Sunday 18th - 80 minutes on Zwift (42.05km)

Hit my target for the week.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Great work, Bella!

Your post is an inspiration. I see your numbers and I want to have a week of exercise numbers to post too :)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Bella!!! That's a substantial garden (753.5 sq ft)! That's a good amount of work too!!!😘
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: Β»
    Bella!!! That's a substantial garden (753.5 sq ft)! That's a good amount of work too!!!😘

Yes, it's certainly big enough for me, but it's the smallest allotment on the entire site by quite a margin. Including paths and the utiltity area where I have my shed. my compost bins and my manure heap it's exactly 100m2.

I rent it for Β£15/year and it's a 9 minute walk from home.
  • PAV8888
    edited February 19
    Options
    Is that part of the village commons or something?

You have a cute Hobbit house or something, right? 😝

It certainly sounds cost effective!!!
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    Community gardens (called 'Allotments' here in the UK) are a big thing over here. They fell out of favour for a few decades at the end of the 20th century, but there's a resurgence linked to the rise in demand for affordable organic zero-miles food.

Most allotment sites have long waiting lists - I was on the list for just over a year before I got mine, and I only got mine quickly because it was small and neglected and no one wanted it!

Our village has two allotment sites - one belongs to the parish and is run as an ecclesiastical charity, one belongs to the town council. My plot is on the ecclesiastical charity site, which means our rents are used to provide alms to the poor (or, in modern parlance, we give handouts to the needy and run a food bank!)

I used to live in a cute hobbit house, but we moved after 28 years to a normal house. I sorta miss the hobbityness of the old house, but there are benefits to living in a normal house too.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Oh Garfield! How long ago? Have you stayed in the same area?
  • Bella_Figura
    edited February 19
    Options
    2 years, give or take. Yes, by Canadian standards we're in the same area, but MIL feels as if we've moved to Mars because we're now 25 miles away, whereas previously we were 2 miles away.
  • PAV8888
    edited February 19
    Options
    That was the next question (closer or further from mil!😝)

Trust me by Canadian CITY slicker standards that's a good distance too!🀣
  • PAV8888
    Options
    It would certainly change the parameter of a casual drop in probably giving you a bit more peace of mind! πŸ€”