WaistAways Team Chat - DECEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• Gidgitgoescrzy
    Gidgitgoescrzy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It was a good weekend, I did drink on saturday though, even though I had intended not to, good thing my husband brought drinks he knew I would like. I had to go to a Christmas party with his ex- in laws, and his ex wife was there, and she wanted to hang out and chat with me all night, so on Sunday, I needed the entire day to decompress. It was alot.

This week we don't really have anything going on, which is nice, and Christmas weekend will be very chill, with us not going anywhere, and not having anyone over. I think we will go to the movies on Christmas morning, maybe see Wonka, unless something else good will be playing.

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,215 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    @zumbaforever you can come plant things at my place any time! As long as we skip the lupins. They like to take over the universe. I made the mistake of accepting a gift of some bluebells once and spent the next 10 years trying to keep them under control and finally to eradicate them. I'm great at vegetables and herbs, not so good with decorative planting. Mostly I move natives from the woods into the few areas around the house. We have 13 kinds of ferns on the property (at least!) so they're certainly represented, hardy herbs, bee balm, and other locals keep us looking appropriately wild and not too civilised. We are surrounded by woods, don't see any other house from here, so it works!

@leni1us I feel you - it can be overwhelming this time of year. I am also way behind with getting gifts sent to my daughter, finding anything besides cash for my son, and I'm on my way soon to spend a week with my stepmom who is very choosy and has everything. Hopefully some fresh croissants from our local bakery will be enough. She loves those.

It is a weird day here - we're trying to get ready for me to be gone for a week and leaving my taller half with no car. He's off shopping for food, will do some more tomorrow while I'm working in Montreal, and then I'll leave either Wednesday or Thursday. I don't like to be away this time of year, but my dad is in long term care now and I want to be there so that my stepmom can be with her family. I'll survive! I can't guarantee that I'll eat and drink nothing but healthy stuff, but I'll try to keep moving and just let it roll.

Happy Monday!
  • MaddawgMadsen
    MaddawgMadsen Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Yet again, I made poor choices over the weekend. This season is really hard for both my husband and me. But, I did make it to two CrossFit classes and one spin class. My quads hurt, but not as much as my abs (between the two classes, I did close to 200 sit-ups). My shoulder feels fine. It definitely hurt trying to do a couple lifts, which is why I swapped out for sit-ups before realizing I would be doing more sit-ups the next day. But, overall, I think my shoulder is healing well. Now, if I could only get my eating and drinking back in-line.

Also, I need to vent a little. We have a small office with four of us in this one building. One employee gets sick more often the rest of us. Likely because he has four children under the age of six. He also has more PTO to use on things like being sick than the rest of us. However, he comes into the office to work when he is sick instead of staying home and keeping it from the rest of us. He was sick last week. Now, I am sick today and have no PTO. And, this is the week of holiday parties, so I can't be sick. I just can't. End rant.

I hope everyone else is having a good Monday.
  • CarolAnnM2
    CarolAnnM2 Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Weigh in Day: MONDAY
    PW: 198.5
    CW: 196.8
    😃
  • jugar
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Yet again, I made poor choices over the weekend. This season is really hard for both my husband and me. But, I did make it to two CrossFit classes and one spin class. My quads hurt, but not as much as my abs (between the two classes, I did close to 200 sit-ups). My shoulder feels fine. It definitely hurt trying to do a couple lifts, which is why I swapped out for sit-ups before realizing I would be doing more sit-ups the next day. But, overall, I think my shoulder is healing well. Now, if I could only get my eating and drinking back in-line.

Also, I need to vent a little. We have a small office with four of us in this one building. One employee gets sick more often the rest of us. Likely because he has four children under the age of six. He also has more PTO to use on things like being sick than the rest of us. However, he comes into the office to work when he is sick instead of staying home and keeping it from the rest of us. He was sick last week. Now, I am sick today and have no PTO. And, this is the week of holiday parties, so I can't be sick. I just can't. End rant.

I hope everyone else is having a good Monday.
    OK. You start by saying you made poor choices. You never say that the CrossFit and spin classes are a good choice. Your abs hurt - how is that a bad thing? You are taking care of your shoulder (at your abs expense!) - how is that a bad thing? Give yourself some danged credit! Sure, the eating and drinking might not be ideal, but you are working at the good stuff all the same. Thumbs are UP.

Vent = totally justified. Sure, having small kids make you more exposed to all kinds of crappy bugs. Coming to work with those bugs is still not OK! I think a direct, friendly but firm conversation is in order. He might feel bad about missing work so he comes in when he shouldn't. Make sure he knows his impact on everyone else's PTO and all. This kind of information leads to improvement and is not mean or unwarranted. Go for the talk with this guy. Or the well-crafted email. Whatever it takes.

OK - enough former manager talk! I think it is always important to find the kindest but most effective way to stand up for ourselves. When well done it is not usually badly taken. Of course, there are those who take it badly no matter what, but that is not your problem!

I have had a day of making things right rather than making things what I wanted. Meh. But I got some Pilates in, and some intense hill walking in the rain on ice. Tomorrow will be intense, and then it is family time. Phew!
  • zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,894 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    @ashleycarole86 thanks. I love planting them. But really starting to wonder how to care for them as I get older. To expensive to hire someone.

And I love soup. Keep using your Peloton.

@jugar Bees balm is invasive here. But pretty. I keep the lupin in check by dead heading. We do vegetables in the back. I love fruit trees and grapes. Or anything that will grow here. I have a cabin for summer play. I planted Daffodils up there. I admit I am removing plants that are harder to control now. Getting harder to care for it all.

Caught up on house work and Christmas cards. Tomorrow hitting the gym

Shelley

• jugar
    Options
    Time to add the Tuesday person to the remaining Sunday-Monday list! Let's see these numbers:
    @sugagirl5
    @cleaneater80
    @littlemzkitty
    @strong_fit_ells
    @lauren_989

Thanks!
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    @MaddawgMadsen sorry your coworker was sick and sharing. I have had this nasty cough for weeks. Pretty sure I am not contagious. Just miserable.

Shelley
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    b6tzqr2c2106.jpeg

My winter flowers.
  • Kali225
    Kali225 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I had a pretty productive Monday! Got a lot done at work, being one of only two people in the office today, came home and went right into my first dance cardio session since September - so fun and my foot largely cooperated, and plenty of sweat. Of course, I should already be asleep but maybe sleep will just have to come in 2024.

@ashleycarole86 the quiche is actually very good! I will make the crust a little thicker on the edges next time but overall very happy with my result!

@MaddawgMadsen ugh a very deserved rant. feel better!! and don't let the weekend choices get you down.

@zumbaforever such a pretty garden!
  • cleaneater80
    cleaneater80 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    @zumbaforever your yard is amazing - thanks for sharing all the pics. Your husband is a lucky guy to have you around to help him as he heals.

@jugar - thoughts to your father. Sounds like a busy week ahead.

@CarolAnnM2 - nice loss this week

@MaddawgMadsen you would think that people would learn not to work sick. I agree it's frustrating.

PW - 166
    CW - 164.0
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    @lauren_989 hope you feel better soon. I am in the same boat as you. Seems to keep hanging on.

@Kali225 Thanks. It is part of the reason I try to stay in shape. Squats are a must. And hip health.

Got my husband outside for a walk around the yard. It is really nice outside actually. And he enjoyed it. My neighbor seen us and brought us a card. And fudge.

• Kali225
    Kali225 Posts: 625 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    just finished a little 4x4 strength workout that I designed myself - took me less than 20 min and I am dripping sweat! heating up my quiche for dinner and settling in for some college basketball at 7. Perhaps today will be a day to get into bed and asleep by 10pm..

@lauren_989 ugh migraines are the WORST!! you have to ditch this illness!
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,185 Member
    Options
    @Kali225

You are total workout inspiration! Your workout descriptions sound divine

Second last day in the office today. Last day tomorrow. Then a long break till Jan 2. So, I'll have more time to spend exercising starting on Thursday. Steps are high, food choices are average.
  • jugar
    Options
    Long day! Just time for a quick weigh-in update/reminder (you all know I'm born to nag!) -

Through Wednesday:
    @sugagirl5
    @littlemzkitty
    @strong_fit_ells
    @lauren_989
    @MaddawgMadsen
    @Gidgitgoescrzy

Thanks!
  • Gidgitgoescrzy
    Gidgitgoescrzy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    PW 162.6
    CW 161.6
    Well unless a miracle happens next week, I will not reach my goal of being firmly in the 150's - and thats okay, I think to have a total loss in December is good regardless.

I am still in a bit of a funk, and can't seem to get out of it, the meds make me not care so much that I am in a funk, but the funk is still there. Hopefully it's the holidays or lack thereof in my life that is causing these issues at this moment.

I also think some of it might have to do with social media, I think I need to just get off it for a while. The death scroll is real, and it can cause issues.

So to some good news, I found out Longwood Gardens are open on Christmas Day, I've never been there for the Christmas displays, so I think we are going to go there. It will be chilly, but they have a huge, I mean HUGE conservatory, that is nice and warm, and they will have fire pits all over, so I think that is what we are going to do. And I can easily get 20k steps there.

• jugar
    Options
    @Gidgitgoescrzy I love your idea about the Longwood Gardens. That sounds like a fantastic place to go on a chilly day - conservatories with their high humidity and warm temps are great balms in the winter, and fire pits :smiley:

Sadly, the doom of scrolling is real too, and it is easy to get sucked in. I have quit some, and the one I remain on just to be able to keep up with distant people is so boring I hardly ever go there! Taking at least a break from the socials is a good move. Plan what to do instead at least at first - it's too easy to fall back in. I rely on Bandcamp - listening to new music that I would not usually find, bopping around the house or outdoors. I like buying music there because it is the best app for musicians actually getting the revenue from what they create.

OK - off to fun things like laundry, packing, and getting organised to spend a few hours in the car. Ugh.
This discussion has been closed.