Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

SUMMER COUNTDOWN GOALS!

Replies

• justgirl81
    justgirl81 Posts: 345 Member
    edited August 15
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    Hi All. Sticking to my nutrition goals just in a funky mindset. Overanxious despite everything I tell myself about worrying. I’ll get there. It’s been my mom who has taken most of my time but I’m not witnessing some cognitive deterioration of my dad. Day by day. Breath by breath. 🙏🏽🙏🏽

Hugs and prayers!!!
    Have you researched coconut oil?
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,323 Member
    Thank you for the kind words! Need them both! No @justgirl81. Haven’t researched coconut oil. Benefits??
  • justgirl81
    I don't know where my Wednesday post went.
  • justgirl81
    Thursday
    Workout: 5m walk
    Weigh In: no weigh in
    Nutrition: Acceptable (Good/Acceptable/Unacceptable/Terrible)

Friday
    Workout: 6 miles CT
    Weigh In: 108.8 lbs (sad)

This Week's Daily Goals
    (asterisk * for each day accomplished. 7 possible; goal is at least 5 asterisks for each goal.)
    1. Read Bible New Testament 1 chap/day. (1 Tim 2,3,4)******
    2. Nutrition level Good or Acceptable daily. ****
    3. 8 hours consecutive bedrest/day. ***
    4. Max 2 cigars/day; progress.*
    5. Cut out bisacodyl.*
  • justgirl81
    Saturday
    Workout: 8 mile run, 2 mile walk
    Weigh In: 106.8 lbs
    Nutrition: Unacceptable (Good/Acceptable/Unacceptable/Terrible)

This Week's Daily Goals
    (asterisk * for each day accomplished. 7 possible; goal is at least 5 asterisks for each goal.)
    1. Read Bible New Testament 1 chap/day. (1 Tim 5)*******
    2. Nutrition level Good or Acceptable daily. ****
    3. 8 hours consecutive bedrest/day. ****
    4. Max 2 cigars/day; progress.**
    5. Cut out bisacodyl.**
  • justgirl81
    Sunday
    Workout: 8 mile run, 2 mile walk
    Weigh In: 107.7 lbs

This Week's Daily Goals
    1. Read Bible New Testament 1 chap/day. (1 Tim 6)*
    2. Nutrition level Good or Acceptable daily. *
    3. 8 hours consecutive bedrest/day. *
    4. Max 2 cigars/day; progress.
    5. Cut out bisacodyl.*
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 3,130 Member
    @ceebeeslim - Google search :smile:
    10 Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Coconut Oil https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil#faq
    [*] Encourages fat burning
    [*]Has antimicrobial effects
    [*]Lessens hunger
    [*]Helps reduce seizures
    [*]Boosts skin health
    [*]Protects your hair
    [*]Improves oral health
    [*]Reduces symptoms of Alzheimer’s
    [*]Source of antioxidants
  • SherryRueter
    Today was Weighted Legs + Body weight Legs + Abs. I workout every morning, presently doing a 20 min strength with weights, 30min cardio or bodyweight then Abs. For example, Friday I did chest with weights, then 25mins body weight chest with cardio and ended with Abs.

This past weekend we went on a trip to Six Flags for Saturday with my hubby and our daughter + her boyfriend. It was a great time. A 4.5 hr drive... So glad to be home.... Next saturday we leave to go to NW iowa.... (13 hour drive). I'm dreading the drive already - but visiting mom for a week will be priceless. She's 77yrs. and had a severe Heart attack Jun 28, 2024. We are still working thru her doctor and rehab appts. but she is at home and seems to be doing well. She lives alone (dad already passed).

Sunny and warmish here (85 degrees). Perfect for an after work walk today.
  • SherryRueter
    This touched my heart today:

Fear of Your Parents' Old Age**

"There is a break in the family history, where the ages accumulate and overlap, and the natural order makes no sense: it’s when the child becomes the parent of their parent."

It’s when the father grows older and begins to move as if he were walking through fog. Slowly, slowly, imprecisely.

It’s when one of the parents who once held your hand firmly when you were little no longer wants to be alone.

It’s when the father, once strong and unbeatable, weakens and takes two breaths before rising from his seat.

It’s when the father, who once commanded and ordered, now only sighs, only groans, and searches for where the door and window are—every hallway now feels distant.

It’s when one of the parents, once willing and hardworking, struggles to dress themselves and forgets to take their medication.

And we, as their children, will do nothing but accept that we are responsible for that life.

The life that gave birth to us depends on our life to die in peace.

Every child is the parent of their parent's death. Perhaps the old age of a father or mother is, curiously, the final pregnancy.
    Our last lesson. An opportunity to return the care and love they gave us for decades.

And just as we adapted our homes to care for our babies, blocking power outlets and setting up playpens, we will now rearrange the furniture for our parents.

The first transformation happens in the bathroom. We will be the parents of our parents, the ones who now install a grab bar in the shower.

The grab bar is emblematic. The grab bar is symbolic. The grab bar inaugurates the "unsteadiness of the waters."

Because the shower, simple and refreshing, now becomes a storm for the old feet of our protectors.
    We cannot leave them for even a moment.

The home of someone who cares for their parents will have grab bars along the walls. And our arms will extend in the form of railings.

Aging is walking while holding onto objects; aging is even climbing stairs without steps. We will be strangers in our own homes. We will observe every detail with fear and unfamiliarity, with doubt and concern.

We will be architects, designers, frustrated engineers. How did we not foresee that our parents would get sick and need us?

We will regret the sofas, the statues, and the spiral staircase. We will regret all the obstacles and the carpet.

Happy is the child who becomes the parent of their parent before their death, and unfortunate is the child who only appears at the funeral and doesn't say goodbye a little each day.

My friend Joseph Klein accompanied his father until his final moments.

In the hospital, the nurse was maneuvering to move him from the bed to the stretcher, trying to change the sheets when Joe shouted from his seat: Let me help you. He gathered his strength and, for the first time, took his father into his arms. He placed his father's face against his chest.

He cradled his father, consumed by cancer: small, wrinkled, fragile, trembling. He held him for a long time, the time equivalent to his childhood, the time equivalent to his adolescence, a long time, an endless time. By Your Side Nothing Hurts
    Rocking his father back and forth. Caressing his father. Calming his father. And he said softly:

- I'm here, I'm here, Dad! "What a father wants to hear at the end of his life is that his child is there."

I love you, Dad, wherever you are, I always think of you, I will never forget you...

Credits to the rightful owner

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
  • CeeBeeSlim
    @SherryRueter. The post took my breath away. I am probably the most blessed woman in the world. Thank you for offering me this new insight and perspective when all I was ready to do this morning was be worried, stressed, frustrated, and glum. 🙏🏽❤️
  • justgirl81
    Monday
    Workout: 6 mile CT, 3 mile walk
    Weigh In: 108.5 lbs

This Week's Daily Goals
    1. Read Bible New Testament 1 chap/day. (2 Tim 1)**
    2. Nutrition level Good or Acceptable daily. **
    3. 8 hours consecutive bedrest/day. **
    4. Max 3 cigars/day; progress.*
    5. Cut out bisacodyl.**
  • SherryRueter
    Accountability check-in
    :) weight; 105.0 <-- :flowerforyou:

so happy today with my weight - that I had to log it into Loseit immediately.
    Graph is showing that I am down 6lbs since May 2023 (which was shortly after my father went to heaven).
    1k5uhe0h4doc.png

• SherryRueter
    @ceebeeslim - beautiful little write up. We just never think of our parents as being the ones that will need our help. We grow up thinking they are "right" all the time. They have the answers and we need to follow in their footsteps.

However, as with mine, and your's ... we realize what choices they made that didn't help them in life. For me, i notice their nutrition, exercise, etc. The internet really does open your eyes to those who are aging well and what they do to live actively. IT is that lifestyle I chase.

tomorrow i will go in for a dr. visit on my shoulder/bicep. and make sure I am not injuring the area still and that it is healing (or that I am on that path. ). The pain still wakes me up at night, and that's not good.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Good luck on your doc visit @SherryRueter!

What’s so perplexing and confounding is when the docs say to my parents “stop doing x, it’s causing y - which is not good for you” - their response usually “what do they know” - even when the lab results support the doc conclusions. Whacha gonna do?!!’

Feeling pretty ok. Few more doc visits to get through. Not happy with the slow response of one doc but that may be my anxiety. Increasing my NEAT by focusing on a lot of decluttering and moving furniture! Onward!
  • SherryRueter
    The old age mindset. I know more than you do doc.
    When I "Find" these little nuggets of wisdom, I try to remind myself of this,
    "Sherry, when you are 78yrs old, and the doctor says to STOP doing X, its causing Y..., that THEY ARE CORRECT. They are not trying to ruin your day. they are not trying to ask you to do it because they are playing a prank. They are doing it because medically speaking, it is the BEST choice that you can make. "
    IT may not be easy to do what they are asking you to do, but it is WORTH IT.

Hope you're still feeling OK @Ceebeeslim - Are you doing anything to help you with anxiety? I assume that's just racing thoughts and worries that are coming with aging parents and trying to be their parent. I have that too at night. But, honestly, I probably should do some mediatation or "something" as well. I do know that one way I deal with Anxiety is a cardio workout. The heart pumping and the fast pace makes me forget about life for a while.

I'm still SO happy with my weight trend.

Doctor ordered an MRI for 9/3 So we shall wait until then. He is wondering how my rotator cuff is. *yay*

• justgirl81
    edited August 21
    Tuesday
    Workout: 8m run, 3 mile walk
    Weigh In: 107.9 lbs

This Week's Daily Goals
    1. Read Bible New Testament 1 chap/day. (2 Tim 2 and 3)***
    2. Nutrition level Good or Acceptable daily. ***
    3. 8 hours consecutive bedrest/day. ***
    4. Max 3 cigars/day; progress.*
    5. Cut out bisacodyl.***
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Congrats on the progress of decreasing the cigars, justgirl81!

Happy with my weight loss trend. Slow but making better choices regardless of stress.

Yes, @SherryRueter - the anxiety is strong. It comes at night when I rethink the day about what I could’ve done better. Guilt - when I realize I could’ve done something but was too mentally or physically exhausted to. Nervous and frustrated if promised a call from a doc that doesn’t come so I have to chase him and magnify the worst. Etc etc.

I think it’s especially hard because given the cognitive issues - I am (and don’t think I’m exaggerating here) who my parents count on for their survival. Sad - but if my mom was hungry she wouldn’t know where to get something to eat, how to make a sandwich, who to call….

And it’s these thoughts that create the struggle between gratitude - the above may be true but she’s here and so is her vibrant personality etc. then there’s the depression - watching the minute to minute cognitive “blurps” are like slow torture.

Nurse here!
  • SherryRueter
    Accountability:
    Liftmore Super Block: Shoulder, Bi, Tri. Shoulder, Bi, Tri, Abs - done
    5K with Millionaire Hoy Fitness Youtube. https://youtu.be/E4Uz63MUekQ?si=mwVdmQEmmi98L5fh

I cannot guarantee that I will log in while I am up in Iowa - so - just know that.
    We are getting a pass to the local Gym. Yesterday, I went to the DR. he is ordering an MRI for Sept 3rd for my shoulder/Bicep to see what we have going on. I'm looking forward to it.

LIstening to a pod cast The diary of a CEO.
    He is stating that your focus for weight loss should be a HIGH focus on getting in FIBER daily.
    The FDA recommended is like 25g. But I thought I heard on a documentary on Amazon Prime Video last night that increasing that to 30-50 is a healthier range. Lowering your protein - being more plants, lighter on the meats.

anyway, good podcast if you need to listen to something for an hour.
  • SherryRueter
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    Congrats on the progress of decreasing the cigars, justgirl81!

Happy with my weight loss trend. Slow but making better choices regardless of stress.

Yes, @SherryRueter - the anxiety is strong. It comes at night when I rethink the day about what I could’ve done better. Guilt - when I realize I could’ve done something but was too mentally or physically exhausted to. Nervous and frustrated if promised a call from a doc that doesn’t come so I have to chase him and magnify the worst. Etc etc.

I think it’s especially hard because given the cognitive issues - I am (and don’t think I’m exaggerating here) who my parents count on for their survival. Sad - but if my mom was hungry she wouldn’t know where to get something to eat, how to make a sandwich, who to call….

And it’s these thoughts that create the struggle between gratitude - the above may be true but she’s here and so is her vibrant personality etc. then there’s the depression - watching the minute to minute cognitive “blurps” are like slow torture.

Nurse here!

So I take it they live with you. Are you married, or is it just you and your parents. I know you mentioned you have siblings, but they aren't there for the daily grind. Just trying to understand more. Prayers to you as you go thru your day.

The anxiety at night is SO common - across the board - everywhere. I think of it as the one time the devil/evil has a chance to interrupt you. I mean, I don't believe that GOD would cause you the worry and anxiety - so it has to be something from the devil. Last night (and frequently) when I am having the racing thoughts at night, I start to pray and list my gratitudes, I am thankful for...x, y, z, I am thankful that you....blah blah blah. And I have found that saying the lords prayer will almost always put me to sleep. I lay in bed, I do this, I start the Lords prayer and I drift off to sleep (last night I had to say it twice). But then I go to sleep in peace - as I have put it in my Fathers hands.

• justgirl81
    edited August 22
    Wednesday
    Workout: 8m run
    Weigh In: no weigh in

Thursday
    Workout: 5m walk
    Weigh In: 107.7 lbs

This Week's Daily Goals
    1. Read Bible New Testament 1 chap/day. (2 Tim 3 and 4)*****
    2. Nutrition level Good or Acceptable daily. *****
    3. 8 hours consecutive bedrest/day. *****
    4. Max 3 cigars/day; progress.**
    5. Cut out bisacodyl.*****