Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Airport VIP Lounge Chat

Replies

• Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 13,261 Member
    @Aalley5 I am loving this challenge also!! I'm learning so much more in a deeper way. Keeping in mind I've had 2 courses on labels, we can always learn more. The more I read about "added ingredients" the more it hits me to go back to eating "only the outer edge of the grocery store" as I was taught by Mrs Page in the 8th or 9th grade!! She said "Eat like you do your grandparent houses." I never forgot that!! I'm cooking more and more and loving food even more so in a healthier way.

I had to ask myself after the Spring 5% Why am I here? I've been steady with my weight for the most part within 10 lbs for a number of years. BUT am I really healthy? The answer of course is NO I AM NOT!! I had reach deep inside of myself to figure what was really important to me? In the past 5 weeks I've gone from 180.9 to 179.0 almost 2 lbs. I WANT this streak to be one that continues or even improves.
  • Kurtize
    Kurtize Posts: 6,812 Member
    k1h7zr2mfofs.png
  • Tabatha_Cain
    Tabatha_Cain Posts: 4,934 Member
    Good Morning Airport Friends:

I hope you are all doing well this morning. Today is Tuesday and I am feeling decently. I am a bit tired, but I will be alright. Today we are still working on Home policies. Which is nice because a lot of the states are all similar to Michigan in regards to their home policies. Today our temp is supposed to be up to 104 or 105. So there will be no walking Chloe at all today. Possibly even a rare outside. We do have a pool outside for her that we filled last night. It is a wading pool so not real deep. I am hoping it will help because sometimes she does not like to come inside.

@aalley5 - I agree, but most of us don't know how to really read a label. Like I know what it says, but how does it correlate to our daily allotment? I think that is something we need to teach people. That would really help. I do see the social aspect as well being a good thing. People do need a place to unload their frustrations.
    @Dianedoessmiles1 - I am doing a lot better at eating healthier. I definitely pay attention to what the label says. That is so good. You are doing amazing.
    @Kurtize - What I have trouble figuring out is how it relates to my daily allowance. Like when to have a larger portion of protein or how to make sure my sodium is not lumped all into one meal. That is what I need help with.

Well I hope you all have a wonderful Tuesday.

Tabatha
  • aalley5
    aalley5 Posts: 2,950 Member
    edited August 27
    @tabatha_cain, That's what this week challenge is all about, Learning How to Read a food label. I agree about the social aspect. Not in every post.
    You said I think that is something we need to teach people. It's not so much about teaching anyone, it's more about getting people to actually do something about their health.
    Anyone can look up how to read a label. I typed in How to read a nutrition label and this is what popped up first.
  • macrat12
    macrat12 Posts: 6,068 Member
    Insight Timer Quote: Suffering usually relates to wanting things to be different from the way they are.—Allan Lokos
    I AM: I keep my words kind and my thoughts loving.
    Action for Happiness: Notice when someone is down and try to brighten their day.
    Happy Just Because Day!!!!
    Pliability QOTD: It’s not about perfect. It’s about effort. And when you implement that effort into your life…every single day, that’s where transformation happens. That’s how change occurs.—Jillian Michaels
    Day 239 of 2024 miles in 2024 and I had 7.68 miles yesterday.
    Off today so getting in my 1 mile walk, August Challenge: Day 27 of 31, Pull Day 1, Pliability: Lower Body and 60 min walk.
  • Patti241
    Patti241 Posts: 4,775 Member
    Good morning everyone.
  • Ceriusly1
    Ceriusly1 Posts: 5,987 Member
    aalley5 wrote: »
    @tabatha_cain, That's what this week challenge is all about, Learning How to Read a food label. I agree about the social aspect. Not in every post.
    You said I think that is something we need to teach people. It's not so much about teaching anyone, it's more about getting people to actually do something about their health.
    Anyone can look up how to read a label. I typed in How to read a nutrition label and this is what popped up first.

Hi Everyone, This challenge is unusual because 3 of the OALs were in the hospital and had extended illnesses at the same time. @hicim705 (Heidi), stepped in to research and write the challenge. I can tell you that can be a full time job in itself. I love the detailed information she gave us. I often wonder how many of our members actually read the challenge details.

Kaliswalker often will start a thread about the LTGL where people can ask questions and chat specifically about the topic. I will start a thread where we can discuss Label Reading so you all can ask questions and chat and share information.

This chat can also be used for that purpose. As a reminder, if anyone has a suggestion for a new topic, send MFP mail to me, @hicim705, @ladyluk1, or @Dianedoessmiles1.
  • Kurtize
    Sending hugs to our 5% leaders, we appreciate all you do.

Happy Tuesday all, another warm day. Hugs and blessings

t0ltv4m7snf0.png
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    edited August 28
    @Kurtize could you also please share the nutrient label on the feed Ceri created today?
    🏷 We Are What We Eat! Know What You Are Eating! Sharing Information About Food Labels

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10922607/we-are-what-we-eat-know-what-you-are-eating-sharing-information-about-food-labels#latest

It'd be so neat to see how other members not on the same team are utilizing the info.

@Tabatha_Cain, YO!! I can't imagine 104/5!! NOOOOO TY TY TY TY!! Today's high was in the mid 70s tomorrow HOPEFULLY OUR LAST hot day (82) To you that'd be delightful to me it's TORTURE!! DId Chloe get to play in the pool? Oscar is a VERY HIGH Energy kitty (He's a ginger and ALSO Siamese which explains why!) He's also extremely smart making him quite entertaining, but he's BORED A LOT!! I am always trying new things for him. It wears him down if I am interactive with him more, which does eat up time, but awwwww he's cute, but at times it's frustrating also. LOL Izzy is not at all an energy kitty, she's a total lap kitty!! A sweet old lady kitty whose only goal in life is to sleep on my lap which of course, I am fine with when I am sitting down!! Have you looked on youtube to see how to read labels and balance macros? I'm putting a link on the link above to @Kurtize and ALL of us about this. You'll find more in regards to this. I am WEAK on my protein so last night thanks to the feed we have on PS4L I was able to see quite a bit of info. I think It may of Kurtize or it may of been @Eclipsedagain who put up info on this topic or both of them. etc. But I LOVE THIS LTGL!! I THOUGHT I knew a lot about labels,, hmmm yeah I DID NOT and DO NOT!! WOOHOO I love growing in knowledge which is POWER! LOL I need to look at other teams more. It's been a bit since I've dropped by on PS4L we have always have a joke/meme feed and I'd strongly encourage this on other teams it's where our social aspect clearly comes into play!! Oh we get to laughing so hard on it, which is the intended purpose! We started this feed during the pangdangitall. We all were slipping into a depressive/hopeless state, this helped to kick us back up!
    @aalley5 , I LOVED reading through that also!! And now also starting to look at the ingredients something I had been TRYING TO IGNORE when it's not healthy. Hmmm WHY DID I DO THAT??? We are what we eat! I can still eat well, and make the food myself. My recipe files (online) has GROWN SO MUCH!!
    @Patti241 GOOD Day Patti!! How are you doing today? Have you been gaining knowledge also on the LTGL? Wish to share with us on the above link @Ceriusly1 has opened (See above the link with @Kurtize name.
    @Ceriusly1 TY TY TY TY Ceri!!! LOVE the feed!!

• Tabatha_Cain

I hope you are all doing well this morning. Today is Wednesday and I have my appointment with my Bariatric doctor today. I am hoping that she feels I am doing well with my weight loss. I do slip a lot. I am also going to this appointment when I am supposed to be in training. They said they cannot approve any time off for an appointment, but.... So I am hoping I don't get into trouble. There is not much I can do. I thought about claiming power outage or something from a storm, but well I have to have proof of that. Or proof of an internet outage. Something like that I would need proof. I am just really scared that I am going to lose my job over this, and I cannot miss this appointment.

@aalley5 - I guess I really don't understand labels then. I try and I don't really understand how they correlate to our daily requirements other than don't have a high number. I am not sure what I need as I don't need a lot of sodium due to edema and so I am not sure where that number is even supposed to be. I have never been told keep your sodium at a certain level by the doctor just don't eat a lot of sodium. Well how I am I supposed to measure that. I check the carbs, calories, fat, and protein because I have been given numbers so I know where I am supposed to be with that.
    @Ceriusly1 - Thank you, because try as I might I don't think I truly understand labels. I just check to make sure the number I need are low enough and that is all I really understand. I always struggle with comprehension sometimes
    @Dianedoessmiles1 - Chloe did get into the pool, but it was pretty humid and hot so I did not have her outside long. She is getting better with learning to play by herself. She still wants to bite us, but I think now it is teething rather than an aggression thing.

Well I hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday.

Tabatha
  • macrat12
    Insight Timer Quote: No matter what you do, your job is to tell your story.—Gary Vaynerchuk
    I AM: I can relax my efforts.
    Action for Happiness: Have a friendly chat with someone you don’t know very well.
    Happy Rainbow Bridge Remembrance Day!!!!
    Pliability QOTD: Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.—Ernest Hemingway
    Day 240 of 2024 miles in 2024 and I had 7.66 miles yesterday.
    Off today so getting in my 1 mile walk before breakfast, August Challenge: Day 28 of 31 after breakfast, Pliability: Upper + Spine and 60 min walk after dinner.

• Patti241
    Good morning everyone.

Diane: My day went okay.
  • aalley5
    5i2hsdr9yblr.png
    @Dianedoessmiles1 - Thanks! It would be great to see what others have learned about nutrition labels. I'm in! We can post there and copy the info into our team chat too. <3
    @Tabatha_Cain - by reading and understanding food labels, you'll be able to control your diet better. It's defiantly a good way to get our weight under control. Yes, it's a struggle, that's why a lot of us need help. Here's the link again for what we've learned about food labels.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10922607/we-are-what-we-eat-know-what-you-are-eating-sharing-information-about-food-labels#latest
    @patti241, glad you had a good day!
  • Kurtize
    yd2s86r93vjg.png
  • Tabatha_Cain

I hope you are all doing well this morning. Today is Thursday and I cannot believe it is almost the end of the week. I saw the bariatric doctor and I am down 4.5 pounds in the last 3 months. I am so upset about that, however she did say that the closer we get to our goal weight the smaller the amount is to get off. Now she said to really work on strength training and core exercises as of course I complained about my belly fat. I showed her my belly and she said because of all my stretch marks I have over stretched the skin and it will not completely flatten as the elasticity is now gone from the over stretching, but that some of it may tighten up. She also said that sit-ups are not good for a person. It puts strain on your lower back, can damage the tailbone, and strains the neck because a lot of people use the hands behind the neck method and end up putting pressure of their neck instead of lifting with their core. So she recommended leg lifts and crunches but only high enough to feel a little pull in the upper abdomen. Those I can accomplish when I am on my 15 minute break at work. That would be awesome. I am going to start doing that. I am also going to bring up some of my weights into the office and use them in while training. I think it will definitely work. At least I hope so.

@aalley5 - Yes, Thank you. I did save that link to the chat. I will be getting in there and learning. I really appreciate the article as well.

Well I hope you all have a wonderful Thursday.

Tabatha
  • macrat12
    Insight Timer Quote: When we heal ourselves, we heal the world.—Mark Nepo
    I AM: Every day comes with infinite possibilities.
    Action for Happiness: Do something kind to help in your local community.
    Happy Lemon Juice Day!!!
    Pliability QOTD: You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.—Wayne Gretzky
    Day 241 of 2024 miles in 2024 and I had 7.14 miles yesterday.
    Off today so getting in my 1 mile Walk before breakfast, August Challenge: Day 29 of 31 after breakfast, Push Day2 in the gym after breakfast, Pliability Warrior Routine: Cersei in the afternoon and 60 min walk after dinner.
  • Patti241
    Good morning everyone.
  • aalley5
    edited August 29
    s20kqzsrfkvg.png
    Plan for my day is done, bicycle ride this morning was wonderfully cooler! I'm getting excited for my up coming trip! I can hardly wait!
    This morning my tracker gave me the message that I need to cut just 66 calories to have a weight loss this week. I'm wondering about that!
    @tabatha, that's great!

• Kurtize
    dryadm9z8okc.png

Hope you had a great day, we had thunder and rain on and off but it has cooled temps.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    edited August 30
    HI All!! Sorry I wasn't on yesterday. My body did a HUH on Tues and hopefully as of the past few hours I am okay again. Needed to balance out my water with potassium, magnesium and sodium levels. Our bodies let us know when we DO NOT balance well!! As you know I am in both heart failure and have chronic kidney disease, but everything is so much in my own control.
    @Tabatha_Cain with the above being said (And part of why I wrote that is) most people go way over the daily recommended sodium allowance in the US of 2000 mgs. You can always call your Dr, they usually THINK everyone knows what it means, but it means different things for different people and also different illnesses (I'm at 1500 mgs a day not over/not under , to far under one runs into horrible problems) a balance though WOOHOO!! Hey congrats on that loss!! ANY loss is a loss and it's also PROGRESS!!! Tabatha have you watched any videos about sodium and how to look for any hidden ingredients (Well they ARE disclosed) for sodium? It's AMAZING how much my eyes were opened when I first started to learn about sodium! It IS necessary though.
    @Patti241 Glad you enjoyed the day Patti!! The weather in Maine is WOOHOO COOLING DOWN!! I LOVE this time of year!! In another 6 to 8 weeks I'll be taking out my newAll windbreaker!!
    @Aalley5, I'll be heading to the post after this to see what others are posting. Yes it's a good idea we can just copy and paste what we put on our own team chat/discussion feed. PS4L opened up a feed for this weeks LTGL. Its been so much fun and very interesting. Yesterday I learned about the various types of fats. HAPPY we can all share. That was so nice of @Ceriusly1 to open the feed as Lynn had in the past.
    @Kurtize LOVE THIS from yesterday!! its ALL in our reactions.
    q33pywbr2f3u.png
    Part of my recovery in NOT USING FOOD as medicine for emotions is (PIc is Old Orchard Beach which I LOVE going to!! Its about a 25 to 35 (Tourist trap LOL) ride depending on how many are there.
    uaxduxc9ll5z.png