WaistAways Team Chat - August 2024

Replies

• lauren_989
    lauren_989 Posts: 1,257 Member
    Hi Waistaways 😊

I hope everyone is OK 😊
    I'm enjoying my holiday at the moment and for once we have a beautiful weather ☀️

@lauren_989 can I please have this week as stay the same, please? I forgot to tell you I'm on holiday and won't be able to weigh in, sorry 😢
    I'll be back home this Saturday so everything will be back to normal.

Thank you ❤️

Enjoy your holiday!
  • MaddawgMadsen
    MaddawgMadsen Posts: 311 Member
    Hey WaistAways! I have been out of town for the past week. Specifically, I was in the middle of the woods in remote Oregon with an occasional one bar of service. It has been wonderful catching up on everyone's posts!

@strong_fit_ells - It took some serious courage to share that with all of us and I am so happy you did! It is so great that you talked with your doctor and figured out a path forward to help with the kidney issues and especially no drinking. I've shared before how drinking is a crutch for me in all situations. So, please know that you are not alone.

@kali225 - Two workouts in one day is AWESOME! Nice work! Also, way to go with the laps in the pool. I am not a water person. I almost drowned a couple of times when I was a kid [fell off a boat and was shoved off a high dive], and generally avoid being in the water. Note: I do know how to swim. After the falling off the boat incident when I was really little, my parents put me in swimming lessons. All of that to say that I am super impressed with you and your getting out of bed early to swim laps.

@jugar & @lauren_989 - One of my best friends growing up now lives in Huntersville, NC. It was a picture from her wedding last year that enticed me to join CrossFit and this group. It's such a pretty area. I hope you have a wonderful time there!

@ashleycarole86 - I grew up in 4-H and contributing to the fairs. However, most of my family showed animals. I did cooking and sewing. One year, I received blue ribbons for both my chocolate chip cookies and my recipe box. Both went onto the state fair (I had to bake a new batch of cookies) and I ended up getting a grand champion for my recipe box. Sadly, I have not been able to find the box in years. But, I did discover that my mom kept the cookies. She literally kept the cookies that the judges took bites out of on the original plate, in a plastic bag. Amazingly, they were hard as a rock, but didn't have mold or anything on them. I made her throw them out when I realized she had them... about five years ago. Sorry for the long story. County fairs are fun and I am glad you had a chance to experience one!

@Neon_hippie - I like what your friend said about the eating style being hobbity and reducing the "food noise" to make a difference. Do you know how they did this? Or, do you have any examples of how you're doing this?

@strong_fit_ells and @kali225 - I know you are both taking on the no drinking challenge for a while. I'm going to join. I drank a lot on my vacation as my way of dealing with family drama. I'm over it. Also, I stepped on the scale today to see that it went up a lot over the last two weeks. I am finally done with traveling and everything else for the year, so now would be a good time to start focusing on not drinking, tracking food, making better food choices, and exercising.
  • StayFITTer
    StayFITTer Posts: 891 Member
    @ashleycarole86 Yes, I do look out for the E-- It wasn't a total deal breaker, but curious at times and think to myself--"Is it really necessary?" LOL
  • strong_fit_ells
    strong_fit_ells Posts: 148 Member
    @MaddawgMadsen Jolene, your message couldn't come in better time for me :heart:
    Thank you so much for your comment. I was just about to give in and go shopping for my fav red wine when I read your above comment and I decided not to go. I put my pyjama on and went to watch tv in bed :smiley: mind you it is only 8pm in UK.

It is hard day for me. We are staying in our motorhome at the campsite and are sourounded by motorhomes and tents. Weather is beautiful and most of people have BBQs out, quiet music but you can hear clinking of glass. Beer bottles, wine bottles on most tables :blush: My husband is teatotal, he doesn't drink alcohol at all so at least I don't have temptation there :wink:

Tonight I am winning :smiley: I am proud of myself and that is another day done.
    One day at the time and it is getting easier :wink:

@Kali225 we can do this :smiley:

@ashleycarole86
    can I please join the step challenge again?
    First week of August I wasn't wearing my fitbit but from
    8th August 10,593 steps
    9th August 12,674
    10th August 11,675
    11th August 14,434
    12th 18,211
    13th 10,931
    14th August6,315

Have a lovely evening everyone :smile:
  • Kali225
    Kali225 Posts: 684 Member
    @strong_fit_ells way to go on resisting tonight!! It's great that your husband doesn't drink. We can absolutely do this!

@MaddawgMadsen welcome back to cell reception! Too bad you don't have the recipe box anymore but do you still have the cookie recipe...? Probably not the safest thing to share in a weight loss support group but >:) and yay! another joiner for Dry August! Travel is one of the biggest challenges for me with weight loss. Everything just gets off-routine.

I got another 25 laps in this morning and a fairly productive day at work. I took this Friday off to go to the racetrack with my mom upstate. It should be a fun day. I am driving early tomorrow morning to get up there for my regular work day. Better get to sleep in 3 hours or so. Just heard the air fryer beep that my zucchini fritters are ready. Yum!
  • lauren_989
    @strong_fit_ells way to use this group for support and stay strong with not getting wine! I am in my pjs early now a days too! Also, it is not unheard of for me to go to bed at 8pm so I don't snack when I don't need it!

@MaddawgMadsen I hope you had a great trip! Time to get back to your habits now that you are home.

@Kali225 I love that you got another swim in this morning! And zucchini fritters sound delicious!

I fell off the wagon today. I was doing soooo good on my plan and staying within calories. Then someone mentioned crumbl cookies. And then I had it in my mind and could not stop thinking about it. The plus, is that I only ate half of one, but still...I didn't need it!
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,281 Member
    @strong_fit_ells You bet girl, I've got your steps down.. thanks! Can you remind me if you have a daily step target you aim for?

@MaddawgMadsen That's amazing, especially that the cookies hadn't molded. How fun! I just giggled to see the little bite mark in the trays there... such a fun experience to be part of and cool to hear you've been a competitor before!

@Kali225 So we have used HelloFresh, Chef's Plate, Fresh Prep and Goodfood.. I suspect some of those are Canadian only. I was managing all four and pausing most weeks but it was way too much to juggle (why was I doing that to myself??) I like them all, honestly sometimes it's just the creativity of the meals that I love.. I usually pick the lower calories meals and it's great to know what the count will be with everything pre-supplied to you.

Steps are going well this week, I had a good soccer game, and I almost got on the bike tonight but it was too late... I am also having a lot of cramping and such and just didn't feel up to it. I do miss it and need to re-organize my life so it's less busy and exercise can resume its priority.

Last call, anyone else for steps for week 1? Thanks all!
  • ashleycarole86
    Username ashleycarole86
    Thursday weigh-in

PW 259
    CW 262.2
  • bowens1973
    bowens1973 Posts: 192 Member
    Username: Bowens1973
    CW: 245.0
  • Gidgitgoescrzy
    Gidgitgoescrzy Posts: 281 Member
    PW 142.2
    CW 142.8

• MaddawgMadsen
    PW: 178 or 179? I can barely remember my own name today
    CW: 182.4 :/

Sorry team. Camping with my all of my extended family is apparently not good for my eating habits. I will get back on it though and hopefully can start posting some losses soon.

@Kali225 - The chocolate chip recipe I used was just the one on the back of the chocolate chip bag. Honestly. No special recipe. Although, I now make gluten-free cookies and I play around with extracts to compliment certain seasons - peppermint in the winter, pumpkin spice in the fall, etc. I think the reason I won the blue ribbon at the county fair is for two reasons. 1. They didn't have many competitors. 2. All the other competitors tried to do something extreme and out of the box, but failed.

@strong_fit_ells - Choosing not to have the wine is a major win!! Good job! I came home after pickleball last night to find my husband a few sheets to the wind on micro brews. You are lucky to have a SO that doesn't drink. I am glad you were able to find the encouragement you needed to stay away from it through this group. We are all pretty awesome.
  • Neon_hippie
    Neon_hippie Posts: 77 Member
    @MaddawgMadsen -- Hi! Gah, food noise is a real thing, isn't it? I have issues with it, but I'm heavily into diversion. When the food noise gets really bad, I try to divert my attention to something that will take my mind off what's in my head. My hobby is painting, so I take up a brush. And because it takes me a while to figure out what I'm doing on the canvas, that "food voice" is gone. Same way with cleaning the house or going for a walk. I do all those things.

My friend happens to use music and podcasts to divert his attention. He also mentioned that he cleaned out his pantry/fridge of those items that call to him, like ice cream. Out of sight, so out of mind. And here's one thing that stuck with me...he eats. Like he doesn't wait or deprive himself of food because when he did do that, the food noise got worse.
  • MaddawgMadsen
    @Kali225 - here's a pic of some gluten-free, chocolate chip cookies I made for a meal train a few weeks ago. They were perfect. Definitely would have won another ribbon for me.

ivl1zb5a1wnu.png
  • lauren_989
    Vacations will get you, eh? Now it's time to buckle down and get back to your normal habits 😊

@MaddawgMadsen those cookies look delicious!

@Neon_hippie great tips for food noise!
  • lauren_989
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,271 Member
    Wow! It is great to catch up on everyone's news. @EvMakesChanges and I arrived in North Carolina yesterday, and have hit the ground running. We have a rental car so we can take our mom out whenever she feels like it - so we hit the grocery store last evening, stocked up on all sorts of lovely veggies and the most heavenly local peaches. And the gym is just downstairs, so it is easy to be very good. Well, OK, we did buy some gelato. But the container is so small no one takes much so that we don't empty it too quickly!

I had a good rehearsal today with the wonderful pianist who will be playing with me on Saturday. We are both so happy to be rehearsing together after weeks of practicing alone! It feels really good. And I have gotten a lot of exercise today as an antidote to yesterday's endless progression of car, van, airport, plane, airport, plane, car... I think I'll sleep really well tonight.

Looking forward to seeing you Saturday @lauren_989 !!! You have been doing great lately, even if you tripped over a cookie. Just keep on striding :smiley:
  • Kali225
    Quick check in - I have had suchhhh a long day. Up at 4:30am for a 3.5hr drive, an unexpectedly long day of work, therapy, dinner with my mom catching me up on some drama & bad news for some old family friends. Extremely ready for bed.

@MaddawgMadsen those cookies look great! My mom uses the recipe on the bag too but I find that everyone's still come out a little different

@ashleycarole86 yes, HelloFresh is the only one I immediately recognize from your list. 4 at once is a lot! I have heard good things about low calories options, so maybe this fall I'll try it

Alright good night!
  • Kali225
    Friday Weigh In
    PW: 258.3
    CW: 256.5

I have been stuck in 255-262 range for so long that I was honestly nervous to look down at the scale today. Definitely some relief when I did. I WILL get out of the 250s and not look back!
  • Gidgitgoescrzy
    Gidgitgoescrzy Posts: 281 Member
    Hi team,
    Things have been good over here, just a little busy.
    On Monday I went to see the PT people to try to figure out what I am doing wrong to cause these random pains. Randomly my ankle, knee, and elbows will hurt when I haven't done anything to injure them, and it can last a long time, or go away in a few days. No xrays, or blood tests have ever shown arthritis or anything, and the joints looks fine they don't swell or anything. Anyway, after several tests, she did a mobility test, and I scored a 9/9 for hyper mobility- So she thinks that is the cause of my pains, so basically, I just need to make the muscles around my joints stronger, because my ligaments aren't doing their job as well as they should. So I am going to keep up with my pt for a few weeks and see if it will make a difference. Which explains why my elbows have been feeling a little better since I've been rowing regularly.

I've been slacking on the exercise this week, alot, although the food has been good. I did make my own ranch dressing, I did not use the yogurt recipe. I used mayo, sour cream and buttermilk, with fresh parsley, dill, chives, then garlic and onion powder, and then added a little paprika and cayenne pepper to give it a little kick. It's so yummy, although I made way too much and it says it is only good for a week, so I brought it in to work for everyone to use. lol - it was a hit.

This weekend weather looks rainy and cooler, so I told hubby at 6am Saturday morning, we are going on a hike before the rain comes.

Have a great weekend.

• lauren_989
    @Gidgitgoescrzy I have hypermobile joints as well that have caused pain throughout the years. I used to twist my ankle frequently when I was a kid and then now have knee pain off an on. The strengthening of the muscles around the joints are very important!

@Kali225 great weigh in this week!

@jugar @EvMakesChanges looking forward to meeting tomorrow!

I had a busy day at work today, it definitely made the day fly by. I am so glad it is Friday, and am looking forward to sleeping in some tomorrow!!
  • ashleycarole86
    Have a good meetup tomorrow @lauren_989 and @jugar

Brad and I got to the trailer about an hour ago.. it's a bit rainy but nothing major. I had the craziest Friday in a while... I was in the office and that was a good thing!

Have a great weekend all
  • ashleycarole86
    Week 1 Step Report

Top 3 steppers
    #1 @ashleycarole86 with 70,528 steps
    #2 @zankash23 with 55,781 steps
    #3 @lauren_989 with 49,239 steps

Consistency stars
    #1 @zankash23 6 days of 7 meeting pledge
    #2 @lauren_989 3 days of 7 meeting pledge
    #3 @ashleycarole86 2 days of 7 meeting pledge

Hope everyone is busy working on beating their week 1! It's always a fun challenge :)

• veronica1359
    veronica1359 Posts: 437 Member
    PW=80,90Kg
    CW=80,20Kg
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,602 Member
    Hello all! I am back from vacation and a very hectic and busy first week back at work. Sorry for the late post!

CW: 193.8 lbs.

Not bad considering the many nights of eating out on vacation and then a wedding. I didn’t do as well with working out this week (just felt so tired), but I have a spin class this morning and a yoga class tomorrow to get me back into a better cadence.
  • lauren_989
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,479 Member
    Hey Y'all! The August Week 3 Group Challenge is our famous Partner-Up Walking Challenge, so please find your partner and join us this week for a great time of exercise, laughter and fun!!! This time there's an added bonus as a surprise! Here's your link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10922057/august-week-3-group-challenge-partner-walk-in-august-challenge/p1?new=1

Pop in, read the rules, find your partner, create your team name and let's get moving! See you in the chat thread!
    Jessica :blush:
  • ashleycarole86
    What did the women's retreat consist of @StayFITTer ? Sounds fun

We are enjoying a nice afternoon at the lake playing cards
This discussion has been closed.