Shape Shifters Team Chat - October 2024

twyo93d5umac.jpg
Here is your Team chat room for October 2024. This is where you weigh in, post your goals and progress, discuss any issues or topics of interest, share ideas, support your teammates, receive help when you need it, and dream big. Try to post often, and help each other succeed! Bookmark this thread to make it easy to land here any time.

Fat2Fit has five great teams. The group and team leaders are as follows - contact them any time!

Our Moderators:
Ashley - @minstrelofsarcasm
Jessica - @jessicakrall8
Lauren- @lauren_989
Megan - @Megan_smartiepants1970

Our Team Captains:
Downsizers - @Megan_smartiepants1970 and [open]
Mission Slimpossible - @Katmary71 and @trooworld
Weight No More - @minstrelofsarcasm and @melaniedscott
WaistAways - @ashleycarole86 and @lauren_989
Shape Shifters - @jessicakrall8 and @Pupowl

Our Team Motivators:
Mission Slimpossibles - @19shmoo69
Weight No More - @rachelrjh and @BodyTalking
WaistAways - @MaddawgMadsen
Shape Shifters - @LaurieWrobo and @Cyncia85

HOW IT ALL WORKS: The October challenge runs for five weeks, from September 29th - October 27th.

Everyone weighs in weekly on their chosen day right here in the team chat. At the end of each week, the tallies are done to determine the team and individuals with the most weight lost. The best losers are announced with full fanfare every Sunday. The team competition is all in good spirits - may the most losing win, and may everyone else get to work on next week!

We also celebrate those small, steady losses. If you lose, however small an amount, you are in the green! At the end of the month, we celebrate everyone who lost at least a bit every single week. You are heading steadily towards your goal even if you aren't at the top of the weight loss leader board. In March we are aiming for every team to hit 50% green every week - let's do this!

To make your weigh-in easy to find for your team Captains, please put it right at the top of a message, and use this format:
Weigh In Day:
PW (Previous Weight):
CW (Current Weight):

If you miss two weigh-ins in a row without asking for a break, you will be dropped from the team, so be sure to inform your team captain if you are traveling, sick, or just need some time off. If you want a break, you can be excused for a week or two, or can be moved to the Support Team for as long as you need. You still participate in the discussions, you can weigh in if you want to, but it will not count in the weekly tally. Don't worry! You can always come back even if you get dropped.

Once you reach your goal weight, you join the Goal Zone. You continue to weigh in every week. If you have 2 weeks above your self-defined goal zone, you go back to the regular team to lose that amount before it builds up. You will have a chance to hone those maintenance skills and stick with your team.

In addition to your own team, there are weekly F2F Full Group CHALLENGES. You can do all or none - it's up to you. Participating adds a lot to your success, so we hope to see you there often! These can involve anything fitness, health, or nutrition - and they’ll get you moving, thinking, and learning about this journey. Check the Announcements section for full group challenges.

Let’s show our fellow challengers some F2F love Introduce or re-introduce yourselves right away, and let's get October on the road!

Replies

• Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,922 Member
    edited September 28
    Hello Shape Shifters and welcome to @LenGray & @evan7garcia ! I hope you are all doing well.
    I am one of the captains of the team together with Jessica. We take care of all the data such as your weigh ins and the steps. If you have any questions, let us know! I joined this team in August 2021 and I have found it a very valuable tool on my weight loss journey.
    There are a lot of things being offered here; there is the step challenge, the habit tracker, the weekly challenges, your personal weigh in and of course the Shape Shifter group chat itself. The more you engage with the group, the more you will get out of it.
    Don't hesistate to reach out when you are having a hard time, chances are you aren't the only one and everyone here is kind and supportive. I often see people feel bad about posting a gain, please don't! We are all aware that weight loss isn't linear. Sometimes the scale just does what it wants, even when you do everything right. So post it, shrug it off and keep going. As long as you put in the work, the results will come, promise. Remember that one day of overeating does not erase any progress! <3
    I wish everyone a great October with lots of victories, big and small!
    m7ruxqhfidbs.png
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 42,839 Member
    Hi SS... You have a new member joining your wonderful team ... Please welcome @evan7garcia :)
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,416 Member
    opvwdga9b2dp.jpg
    FAQ for New Shape Shifters Members

How do I post my weigh in?

Userid
    (Day of Week) Weigh-in
    PW: 204 lbs (previous weight)
    CW: 202 lbs (current weight)
    LTD: 12 lbs (optional loss to date)

Where is the Weigh in stats spreadsheet?
    Start at the Fat2Fit Main Page and under the header information, you’ll see a section at the bottom that says “TO ACCESS THE SPREADSHEETS FOR JANUARY CLICK HERE” followed by the link in blue. Once you click on that link, it will take you to the Summary page. Find Shape Shifters on the tabs at the bottom and click on that and that brings you to the stats page. Also on this page (scrolling down), you’ll find the Step Challenge chart as well. This is where we record your daily steps if you sign up to be part of the monthly step challenge. More info on how to sign up is below! Join us!

How often should I post in the chatroom?

Whenever you have a question, suggestion, story, news announcement or just want to brighten someone's day!! There's never too much...and please share recipes, tips, laughs, challenges, cartoons, pictures of your pets, pictures from walks you've taken, etc...we love it all!!

What if I have to be out of town during my weigh in?

Send a message to one of the Captains (JessicaKrall8 or Pupowl) in the chatroom or in a private message on MFP's mail and let her know your circumstance...if it's just for a week or two, you can be excused from the weigh-in. If you must leave for longer than a month, you may be moved to our support team until you return. When you're ready to come back, send another message and the MODS will move you back to active status.

What happens if I miss a weigh in?

If you're late, you'll be marked as LWI (late weigh in). If you fail to report in at all, you'll be labeled as NWI (no weigh in). After two NWIs, you're put on the drop list if no explanation has been provided. It's always best to let your Captain know what's going on and she'll make sure you're covered.

How do I sign up for the Step Challenge?

Send the Captains a message that you'd like to join, provide your daily step goal and tell her your favorite place to walk. It's that simple! Please be aware though, you're making a commitment to post your steps every 2-3 days, which helps the Captains keep the stats caught up. If you're not willing to do this, please do not sign up. (THANKS!!)

Do I have to re-register each month to remain part of Team Shape Shifters?

No, your membership will carry over month to month. The only place where this is NOT true is for the Step Challenge. You have to sign up each month to participate in it and this gives you the opportunity to adjust your daily step goal.

If I've missed anything or questions arise, just post them! We'll find the information you need as much as possible! Hope this helps!

Welcome!
    Jessica :smile:
  • jessicakrall8
    The October Week 1 Group Challenge is open and ready to begin on Sunday, Sep 29th. Please join us for the Pumpkin Fall Challenge! Here's your link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10924589/october-week-1-group-challenge-pumpkin-fall-challenge#latest

See you in the chat thread...hope to hear from you this week!
    Jessica :blush:
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,857 Member
    Daily step goal: 10,000
    Fri 9/27: 16,581
    Sat 9/28: 11,257
  • Pupowl
    Hello Shape Shifters. Time for another intro!
    My name is Laura, I am 36 and I live with my cat Tinus in a small village in the Netherlands. I got really lucky with the house I rent and I live very close to a national park with a second one 30 minutes biking away. I enjoy walking, taking photographs of nature (birds are my favorite), reading fantasy books, drinking obscene amounts of tea, singing, video games and jigsaw puzzles.
    I struggle with some health problems that make weight loss and life in general a little challenging, but I try my best! September was a little better for me, but I am still not where I want to be with my food. Really need to make October a great month. I will be re-joining the regular team again at the end of the month no matter what so I want to get my weight down a lot more before then. I still haven't stepped on the scale since early June and I can just feel it is not good.
    Yesterday was a lazy day which I enjoyed a lot. Also my last day doing 14.000+ steps, back down to 12.000 now. I think that will also be nice change. I got really annoyed at youtube. I recorded a 52 minute gaming session of my horse game which I started uploading. When it was done after 7 hours, it told me it couldn't process the video because I wasn't a verified user which means the max video length is 15 minutes. Would have been nice to tell me that before waiting 7 hours eh! It was really simple to verify and I could literally see my video listed in my account, but you couldn't start the processing afterwards. So I had to delete the video and reupload it. Such a bad system. I ran it during the night instead which was fine, but I also played my game yesterday, so now I am 'behind'. I want to play more this evening, so I have to upload the second video after that, and then run the 3rd one tomorrow during the day to catch up. It is also crazy to me how long it takes to upload in the first place. I have a really fast and new gaming pc so it makes no sense to me that it takes 7 hours, but I have also no idea how or if it is even possible to speed up. Anyway, still loving the game and it's not like anyone follows me, so the slow uploading isn't a big deal.
    This morning my dad came over. We got some groceries and then went to the forest and got in a short walk. I forgot to bring my phone with me, so I have no pictures to share. We did find 1 more baby newt which my dad had also never seen before so that was cool. After the walk we had late breakfast/early lunch at a new place. I thought service was a bit slow, but the food was decent. I put on the last layer of linseedoil and the next time my dad visits, we will be setting up this table as my new desk so I can have two monitors on it. Looking forward to that. Happy Sunday everyone <3
  • Pupowl
    edited September 29
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,857 Member
    Pupowl wrote: »
    Hello Shape Shifters. Time for another intro!
    My name is Laura, I am 36 and I live with my cat Tinus in a small village in the Netherlands. I got really lucky with the house I rent and I live very close to a national park with a second one 30 minutes biking away. I enjoy walking, taking photographs of nature (birds are my favorite), reading fantasy books, drinking obscene amounts of tea, singing, video games and jigsaw puzzles.
    I struggle with some health problems that make weight loss and life in general a little challenging, but I try my best! September was a little better for me, but I am still not where I want to be with my food. Really need to make October a great month. I will be re-joining the regular team again at the end of the month no matter what so I want to get my weight down a lot more before then. I still haven't stepped on the scale since early June and I can just feel it is not good.
    Yesterday was a lazy day which I enjoyed a lot. Also my last day doing 14.000+ steps, back down to 12.000 now. I think that will also be nice change. I got really annoyed at youtube. I recorded a 52 minute gaming session of my horse game which I started uploading. When it was done after 7 hours, it told me it couldn't process the video because I wasn't a verified user which means the max video length is 15 minutes. Would have been nice to tell me that before waiting 7 hours eh! It was really simple to verify and I could literally see my video listed in my account, but you couldn't start the processing afterwards. So I had to delete the video and reupload it. Such a bad system. I ran it during the night instead which was fine, but I also played my game yesterday, so now I am 'behind'. I want to play more this evening, so I have to upload the second video after that, and then run the 3rd one tomorrow during the day to catch up. It is also crazy to me how long it takes to upload in the first place. I have a really fast and new gaming pc so it makes no sense to me that it takes 7 hours, but I have also no idea how or if it is even possible to speed up. Anyway, still loving the game and it's not like anyone follows me, so the slow uploading isn't a big deal.
    This morning my dad came over. We got some groceries and then went to the forest and got in a short walk. I forgot to bring my phone with me, so I have no pictures to share. We did find 1 more baby newt which my dad had also never seen before so that was cool. After the walk we had late breakfast/early lunch at a new place. I thought service was a bit slow, but the food was decent. I put on the last layer of linseedoil and the next time my dad visits, we will be setting up this table as my new desk so I can have two monitors on it. Looking forward to that. Happy Sunday everyone <3

Sorry you had such a problem uploading your video. Seven hours does seem ridiculous. It would be interesting to compute the upload speed. But it's unlikely that your gaming PC is the problem. It's likely either your router's speed, or your ISP's (internet service provider's) bandwidth/speed limitation, or a speed limitation imposed by YouTube (which could vary depending on other internet traffic). Most ISP's offer a number of internet plans that will differ in the speed of the connection, and there is usually a significant difference in the download speed vs upload speed. My plan provides for up to 500 Mbps (megabits per second, not megabytes) download speed but only a 20 Mbps upload speed. I just ran a speed test and got download = 197 Mbps, upload = 23 Mbps.
    You can check with any of a number of sites to run your own speed test.
    For example, https://www.speedtest.net, https://fiber.google.com/speedtest/,...

• Cyncia85
    Cyncia85 Posts: 387 Member
    Welcome to the team @evan7garcia
  • jessicakrall8
    @lauriewrobo Can we get your steps for Sep 24-present, please? Thanks!
    @angmarie28 Can we get your steps for Sep 28-present, please? Thanks!
    Jessica
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,429 Member
    @lauriewrobo Can we get your steps for Sep 24-present, please? Thanks!
    @angmarie28 Can we get your steps for Sep 28-present, please? Thanks!
    Jessica

Oh geez sorry just have been so sick all week from altitude sickness got my walks in, but so out of breath went to bed early every night😞
    9/24 6,004
    9/25 6,251
    9/26 4,867
    9/27 6,416
    9/28 4,545
  • Cyncia85
    Cyncia85 Posts: 387 Member

I hope you're all doing the best you can be doing for today!
    I'm working on some assignments. It is a beautiful day - hoping to finish up a paper in the next hour or so and then enjoy the outside. Get some steps in for sure.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,446 Member
    I knew @frankwbrown would have some good computer trouble shooting tips! I learn some helpful information on the group periphery! 🙏🏼

I’m sorry to hear you’re still feeling so sick from the altitude in Colorado @LaurieWrobo! I remember suffering after climbing to the top of Mt. Fuji in Japan but I was fortunate that it subsided the next day. I’d like to travel to Machu Pichu someday so I’ll really have to plan to arrive early enough to adjust before the hike. In Japan, the group leader poured me a beer at the top and I was not feeling well so I went straight to bed with damp clothes on so I will definitely avoid alcohol and drink more water in Peru.

Does anyone know what else helps?

@LauriWrobo - I hope the next TWO wedding parties give you a better (healthier) opportunity to celebrate and enjoy your family!

@LenGray - I didn’t know about that shingles PHN side effect — it sounds terrible! I’m glad you’re learning to cope with it and finding ways to treat yourself. Good for you!

I love hearing about everyone’s hobbies! I’m now visualizing @LenGray’s cute dollhouse miniatures and hearing @Pupowl singing in my head! 😊

Welcome @evan7garcia and Sara!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Hi Everyone! I’m Patrice, a 58 year old woman, living in northern Virginia with my husband. I work in the education and health fields, helping program leaders improve practice by working with the ‘front line’ workers that provide direct service and the people the system is designed/ supposed to serve. I love my work with self-advocates, decision-makers, and practitioners solving complex social problems together, but I’m trying to get better at ‘business development’— because college is expensive in the USA!

We have two adult children in college. So, we’re intermittent empty nesters. Our older son studies biochemistry at Boston College part-time while working at Boston University part-time. Our younger son is at Clemson University in South Carolina. He’s a business major in the economics department and minoring in environmental science/ resource management. They will both finish within the next 15-18 months so I’m looking forward to graduation!

I like reading, and enjoying the many activities going on in my community. My husband and I workout with a personal trainer at the local YMCA for 30-minutes, twice a week. My husband attends yoga class regularly - and I’m trying to get better about joining him - but I too often let my work interfere with that!

I like rowing - both single sculling and 8-person ‘sweep’ boats - and I play soccer once or twice a week. Our mixed masters (old people) team plays on Sunday nights and I sometimes play ‘pickup’ soccer with women of all ages on Thursday nights, when my schedule allows. My mother and her aunt (my great-aunt) need increasingly more care, so I travel to Boston about once a month and stay about a week, to relieve the pressure on my siblings. After rowing season, a planning to stay for about two months and get some major tasks done — the exterior of her house needs to be painted, etc. 💸

It will be nice to spend time with my son, extended family, and friends but I’ll need to build a new workout routine in Boston so I don’t go off track. I have about 4-5 pounds to lose before reaching my short-term goal — a normal BMI. My long-term goal is to maintain my weight at 125-130 while improving my strength, balance, and flexibility. Sorry for the long introduction. Best wishes, ShapeShifters!
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,429 Member
    Thanks @PatriceFitnessPal although my mom's memorial service is next Sunday right after the two receptions so high stress on all levels 😞😢
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Yes — so difficult @LauriWrobo. I hope you can find strength in the joyful time together and ride it through the reception, then Get. Some. Well-deserved. Rest!! I think I’d block my calendar for a full week of sleep. Sending positive energy!
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,502 Member
    n1bx52w74edw.png
    9ygwjonwjr6a.png
    qnoc1jm29sez.png

Team Results
    By Percentage
    j0xvpcnrt6rq.png

By Pounds
    n610j2on9szv.png

Individual Results
    By Percentage
    czi082xbrg1y.png

By Pounds
    dlk7p06qb1iu.png
    jt6l3302t5nf.png

Team Winners
    oh5f149u7sps.png

Percentage of Members in the Green!
    jmhqr5v3oabg.png
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,502 Member
    n1bx52w74edw.png
    r8s9219gj73b.png
    66ymndihvsqb.png
    rujtitda3map.png

Team Results
    By Percentage
    o2ywlb82kpjx.png

By Pounds
    l0pc3unakugn.png

Individual Results
    By Percentage
    7qhylhqdt7fn.png

By Pounds
    4s6v0j3jq025.png
    cku44z7lm46z.png

Team Winners
    fs1uwi36wh5b.png

Percentage of Members in the Green!
    fbgwwbtle3b3.png
  • p8m6bwghh9
    p8m6bwghh9 Posts: 77 Member
    Hi Shape Shifter! I’m Rita (62), I live with my husband and our dog in Alaska. I was born and raised in northeastern Ohio so I use American English ( Pittsburghese), if any of my posts seem confusing just let me know and I’ll try to clarify.
    Even before Covid I kinda got lazy then I seemed to elevate that to a lifestyle. By the time I started paying attention years had passed and I was unhealthy, out of shape and weighed more than when I gave birth. Over the past 11 months I have quit smoking, gone in for nutrition counseling and so far have lost around 25 pounds. I have started attending a Strong Seniors class that is held 3 days a week, I went to 2 classes last week. The class is also offered virtually which means when the days get shorter and the temperature and snow fall my excuses for skipping class are negated.
    I’m hoping to make good choices and am grateful for the inspiration and support this group provides.