Why are you willing to try "Sober October"?

Walela617
Walela617 Posts: 542 Member
edited September 28 in Social Groups
Hi everyone, I've decided to try "Sober October" due to {ahem} "extensive testing in the field" leading me to the conclusion that drinking alcohol has been THE major roadblock to my wellness goals. My skin reacts very badly, I'm depressed, I get insomnia, I lose hope, I feel overwhelmed by life, my productivity is negatively impacted and my weight loss is thwarted. Though not a "chronic drinker", I have tended to "binge" weekly, which is very dangerous. Whenever I decline a drink, I'm often asked, "Ohhh, do you have a drinking problem?" To which I reply, "Oh, nooo...I have a STOPPING problem!" (In other words, since there's no "OFF" button, I can never have that first drink.) That's just the way it is and I accept that now. We're all different and everyone has their weaknesses. ("...and knowing that is half the battle." - 'GI Joe'!) 😉

I actually stopped the night of 9/25; so I will have had my first five days alcohol-FREE before my official "STOP" date of October 1st.

I invite anyone who's interested in trying at least 31 days 100% FREE of ALL alcohol beverage consumption to join me! I will record my starting weight and scale stats on October 1st and final challenge weight and stats on October 31st.

Please note: Weighing in is NOT a requirement for this challenge. You just need to check in day-to-day how you did for the current day and for the month so far. ("Catch-up" logs are fine and occasional lapses do not disqualify you in any way, since this is mainly a support group.)

Very best wishes to all!

💗 Carole

Replies

• xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,112 Member
    edited September 30
    I can totally relate to your relationship with the poison! I'm in for sober October.

I have a head start though. Has my last drink on Sep 14th and a nasty life changing hangover on Sep 15th!

I have another 10lbs to loose so I will check in with my weight too...
  • SurferGirl1982
    SurferGirl1982 Posts: 247 Member
    I'm in too. I do weigh myself daily. But I may only post my weight 2 or 3 days a week. Since I've drank most of September, my weight loss may be pretty quick at first. My first weight loss goal is 30 lbs. See ya in a couple of days!
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,112 Member
    I'm in too. I do weigh myself daily. But I may only post my weight 2 or 3 days a week. Since I've drank most of September, my weight loss may be pretty quick at first. My first weight loss goal is 30 lbs. See ya in a couple of days!

So glad you're here! We can do this!! :)
  • SurferGirl1982
    @xbowhunter Glad to be here. Yes, I too have to just quit completely. I can't wait until I start feeling the benefits! It doesn't take long! I will be posting tomorrow (after the liquor store closes). We can do this! 🙂
  • 888Angie888
    888Angie888 Posts: 893 Member
    Hello!

I'm in for Sober October--I also have a few days head start and am ready to keep it going.
  • SurferGirl1982
    @888Angie888 Glad to have you join the group. Tomorrow will be Day 1 AF for me. But I've done it before. So I can do it!
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,598 Member
    I'm in for October. Tomorrow will be 30 days AF. But I had it easy: no plane travel, no family drama, no vacations or holidays. I've stopped about 5-6 times before, usually 2x year, sometimes for 30-40 days, sometimes for 90+ days. I'm in control right now but need this group for support to RAISE THE BAR and so I can learn how to master VACATIONS, BIRTHDAYS, and HOLIDAYS.

I'm also staying connected to the LESS ALCOHOL MFP friends since they motivate me and remind me of the days I don't want to go back to and also because I can help them hopefully if they are new in their journey. We all could use a boost and a push now and then.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,283 Member
    edited September 30
    @Walela617
    I'm confused. Sunny Days @middleagegirl and I wrote on an identical post that you made.. And now I see this one has lots of comments.

Do you want to delete the other one? I'll tell Sunny Days to switch to this one.
    This is the link to the other duplicate.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10924604/why-are-you-willing-to-try-sober-october#latest
  • Walela617
    Welcome all new members! So happy you joined! You are NOT alone! We SEE you!💗
  • Walela617
    For me? NO such thing as "moderation"! Does NOT mean there's something "wrong" with me! For me, it's almost like being diabetic, or allergic to bees... It just is. That's me (or you) and that's okay; we just need to look out for ourselves... And each other! WELCOME!💕
  • Walela617
    edited October 1
    @SunnyDays930 , @middleagegirl :You can join as many groups as you want. There is no competition! I belong to many groups because I need all the help I can get! Thanks so much for coming here! 🌻
  • Walela617
    RIP Kris!💗
  • Walela617
    @SunnyDays930 : "You can't turn a pickle back into a cucumber" truer words never spoken! You TOTALLY GET it!💕 Thank you so much l!🌻
  • Walela617
    edited October 1
    @globalhiker: Congratulations! That's amazing! 🏆 WE NEED YOU!

The "Less Alcohol" people are very helpful and valuable and extremely important - much appreciated! 💗
  • SurferGirl1982
    @Walela617 You should have started this as a discussion (not a group). I'm going to start a discussion and I'll send you a link when I figure it out.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,529 Member
    Good morning and Happy October! I am on Day 8, AF and feel gratitude and peace.
    I am 61 years old. It took me a long time, many failed modification attempts, and mistakes made, to get here.
    No matter how many times you fail, the most important thing is that you never give up trying. NEVER.
  • RubyRed427
    Here's my why?
    I have a compulsion towards alcohol. It's what I think about often. When I can I have a drink?
    Maybe I should cook something so I can have some wine? I can't drink until after yoga. In my mind, I'm always planning when I can finally drink. And if I can't drink, I get in a bad mood.

So, I am going to just not drink, not even one glass. One glass is never enough.
    I'm on an elevator that keeps going down and down when I drink.

I feel guilt and shame after I drink.
    I wake up at night lamenting why did I drink so much?
    I scheme and make rules about drinking.
    If no one is home, I think "Now I can drink without someone seeing."
    I lie about how much I drank. "I think it was just two glasses", but it was a whole bottle.
    I wake up thinking, "Oh God, I hope I don't feel horrible today at work."

It's exhausting to be addicted.
    It's better for me to just not have a drop.
  • RubyRed427
    Good morning! I am day 9 AF. It's getting a little easier. But I will not lower down my shield. I have to battle this. When I quit for 9 months, I remember treating it as a project. I would read a lot of quit lit books. I would listen to youtube videos and follow various sober people on social media. My therapist suggested I buy a mocktail book and get into herbs and mixology (AF). I also started to learn about all the different teas in the world and go to "tea" shops.

I need something to get me excited about being AF. So, I will find a new hobby, perhaps.

I also found that I had to change my patterns. Instead of going home and pouring a drink, I will go to the park and walk for a half hour or workout at the gym.

Thanks for starting this discussion!
  • RubyRed427
    edited October 1
    Walela617 wrote: »
    @SunnyDays930 , @middleagegirl :You can join as many groups as you want. There is no competition! I belong to many groups because I need all the help I can get! Thanks so much for coming here! 🌻

It's not a big deal but I noticed your group is in two places. But I bookmarked this one.