Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Hey! We rolled it over again...
    Varda, I just realized you're only 4 hrs away from me also!!!

So, in light of Beth saying she's going to have a hellish week, I pose this question; what do you all do for a living?

I'm a graphic designer and production manager for a local media company, aka newspaper(s), and photographer on the side.

Everyone else? Go!

In answer to that question..I'm a Senior Designer of women's apparel for a catalog company. "Senior" in more way than one, LOL! My customers are 55 or older, with an average customer age of about 68 years old.

How interesting that so many of us have creative/ad related jobs.

Also, I ran my first jantastic run of the week tonight. (I better get crackin'!) I did 4 miles in just over 44 mins! Yay! Now I just need to eek out the time for a good long run.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm terrified to delete this topic cause I'm not sure what would happen to the other threads. So just ignore this post. It's what happens when two people roll a post at the same time, I guess
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Holy ****! Excuse the profanity, but I just realized that my decent 11 minute miles (flat track) included warm up and stretching.

When I look at the times, I did a 10:05 for the first 1.5 miles, a 9:47 for the next 1.33 miles and then finished up with a 9:37 for the last .21 miles.

These are ridiculous dream times for me. I would gauge that it was comfortably hard, just below race pace. It was intended to be an easy run, but it was the first in four days and I was pretty stressed.
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Wooooo HOOOOO!!! Awesome Varda! You are fast too!!!! SEE!!!!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Kinda validates the whole taper/ per race rest thing, doesn't it.

(Also, I repeat my earlier statement that I wish races were held on perfectly flat, climate controlled courses.)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Or October...if we really want to enjoy the run part. August in Minnesota can be brutal..i.e. 100 degrees and humid at the MN State Fair...just saying. :-)

EARLY October. I've gone trick or treating in long underwear :)

Anyway. Instructional Design.

One of the ways I describe it is by having you think of a teacher you had. Possibly the smartest person you ever met, but couldn't explain what s/he knows to save their life. My job is to work with that person and ask the right questions to get the knowledge you need to do your job better. I create a learning experience with this knowledge that makes it easy to comprehend and apply the expertise. I do not teach a class, however, I would create the curriculum, write the facilitator scripts and and develop the materials you use.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Kinda validates the whole taper/ per race rest thing, doesn't it.

(Also, I repeat my earlier statement that I wish races were held on perfectly flat, climate controlled courses.)

I'm pretty good at finding races (in Atlanta, no less) that come close to that ideal. Also, you can find indoor endurance events, if you look for them. They're not very popular anymore, but they still exist.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Everyone has such interesting jobs! Mine is not! I work in accounts. I work for a company that makes animal feed. It has 3 feed mills, 4 mobile feed mills, 15 country stores and a transport company. My job is to process all the purchase invoices for the 15 country stores, it is a full time job but I only work 4 hours a day.... Go figure! Not surprisingly I suffer from repetitive strain injury!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Well, I'm coming to YOU with all my runner-math problems!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    My job title is Operations Analyst but I do a few different things. A lot of what I do is financial forecasting. Every order we get is a unique, custom-engineered product for backup emergency power in large installations like NASA, secret facilities, military bases, hospitals, nuke plants, etc. Each project can take a year or more from order to shipment. And every month we need to provide a 12-month rolling forecast to our two corporate parents (we are a joint venture). I look at those projects and forecast how profitable they will be at shipment, which could be a long time away. I constantly monitor each project during it's life cycle and track changes and actual performance compared to estimate. My background is mostly electrical engineering & programming but I have also worked in sales and project management. And I've been in this business 22 years so I can forecast pretty accurately. Besides that I develop the tools & software that the sales department uses to quote projects.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    That's such a cool job, Tim.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    That's such a cool job, Tim.

It's OK. Boring at times. I miss engineering but in our business that means traveling frequently to installation sites as well as a lot of weekend work to get our projects shipped out on time. That was fun when I was young & single but not any more. The tradeoff is sitting at a desk all day staring at spreadsheets. I'm more of an outdoors person so I get a little stir crazy sometimes. Running helps that a lot!
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I got 3 miles in on Monday and another 2 yesterday. I was supposed to do 3 but bailed on the last mile, The snow was coming down so heavy that it was hard to see through my glasses. It wasn't supposed to start snowing until later in the day. I see now that I need to keep a hat will a bill in the car. At least that might have kept some of the snow off my glasses. It's supposed to be snowing again tomorrow for my next run. I'll be prepared for that. Running while it's snowing is pretty, as long as you can still see :laugh:
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Everyone has such fun jobs!!! it is funny that half of us are creative and the other half are analytical and as I call it "smart brain" the stuff I dont understand, numbers, measurements, etc... Very cool everyone!!! thanks so much for sharing - it's interesting to know since we "spend" a lot of time together here :)

WAY TO GO VARDA!!!

Nice run, Rindy! Snow and all :) All you snow birds are tough!!! I couldn't do it I don't think, I'm acclimated to this warm ness, even though I've only been here 1.5 years!
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I still haven't figured out what I want to do when I "grow up". If I had a do over, I don't think I would be in IT. But here I am, I'm a Systems Administrator. Every few years at work they change our job titles, even though the role doesn't change. I've been in IT for 14 years. The products I support are SharePoint and Lotus Quickr (both collaboration tools) as well as Lotus Notes/Domino (mail routing and databases). That involves maintaining the server farm, end user support and vendor management. I also live in spreadsheets, audit reports, manage upgrades, and do disaster recovery testing. Not very glamorous but it pays the bills. At least our 24x7 on call support for the most part has been moved offshore. Now days I only paged a couple times every few months as opposed to several times throughout the night. I'm also very thankful that I no longer have to work holidays and weekends, well I do work a couple weekends a year, but that's it.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I "retired" from teaching 2 years ago after 25 years. I am now contracting as a Project Manager/ Finance Team member for a large IT company.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    The thread I see in all of our jobs is Project Management/Design/Systems Thinking. We know how to work within constraints and get'er done.

(And anybody who has the ability to technically support SharePoint has the inner strength to run a marathon.)
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    Nice run Varda!!!! quick

30 minute run today 3.5 miles @ 8:43...

I design power lines...mostly.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Nice run Varda!!!! quick

30 minute run today 3.5 miles @ 8:43...

I design power lines...mostly.

Nice fast run there! Designing power lines sounds interesting. I've always been fascinated by the high-voltage transmission stuff. Our equipment is usually no higher than 15kV class with a rare 32kV here and there. I used to love working around that equipment.
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    The thread I see in all of our jobs is Project Management/Design/Systems Thinking. We know how to work within constraints and get'er done.

(And anybody who has the ability to technically support SharePoint has the inner strength to run a marathon.)

Leave it to the Senior Instructional Designer to sum it all up in a nutshell. :-)

So interesting to hear what every does! Thanks for asking the question, madmiss!

I'm considering a career change. My plan is to move to a vacation destination and work in hospitality with a 9 to 5 (no more than 40 hour week) schedule -something simple like carrying bags or smiling at people and opening doors. Then, I will spend my free time enjoying the natural beauty of the place. Including, running, hiking, biking etc. My husband is with me on this. We just have to get the kids through college first.