Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    2:42:59 - you know what that is? Sunday long run day! How long you say?

13.1 MILES! That's right, I just ran a half marathon, for fun ;)

Go Tim! 8 miles!
    Go Joe! 7 miles!

and terrific run! First half marathon fun run! madmiss!

I've been really busy helping my Mom get things together. I got one run in on Friday and one this morning. Then, this afternoon my sister saw that I was just finishing eating lunch and asked me to go for a walk with her. Once we were outside she told me that SHE wanted to walk, but I was to run, because it keeps her pace up to where she'd like it to be. That's why she wanted me out with her, to pace her. So I ran around the block. 10 more running minutes added to my daily total!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    So awesome Tim! Glad you had a nice day for a change ;) great job in highest weekly mileage - what was your total? Mine also highest, 32.1!!! It's so nice your wife runs with you - my hubby won't get off the couch for running ;) bicycling, yes, but not running. He also has my plague I had last week right now poor thing ;( nothing like running the longest you ever have then making homemade chicken soup- ouch!!!'

25.52 miles for the week. I was hoping to be higher than that by now but every time I add mileage my body rebels. This coming week I will probably back off a bit and see if these little nagging pains get better. Got a 15K race next weekend but will not be running it fast.

Congrats on hitting 32.1! You rock!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Tears of happiness!!!
  • solardippo
    solardippo Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Wow. I don't even know who to begin quoting. Everybody seems to be on fire.

Where to catch up from?

Monday I ran to work before a short but heavy shift where I was doing manual labour anyway so the sweaty me was not an issue. A surprisingly easy 4 miles.

Tuesday was my first day actually and truly off since November, so I slept.

Wednesday and Thursday were triple shift days... plenty of hauling stuff up flights of stairs, but no running. What I have been doing at work is planking. Basically a couple of actually-long-term-fit-and-healthys have been challenging us to plank for at least a minute each shift and... OOOFT.

Friday was one job in the morning, a different one in the evening so I went for a run in the afternoon. 3.5 miles with a fast mile as mile 2. Mapped it out then went as fast as I could sustain for a mile. pretty bleeping happy with my 7mph speed / 8:30 min/mi pace... But ouch. If I can EVER keep that up for 3 miles I will consider myself superwoman.

Saturday was my parkrun. Was really really tired from work (and my friday run, and my abs... oh my abs.) Mentally I didn't make it round without having to walk parts of the hills and seriously entertained the idea of just walking out of the park half way though but still managed a 28:51 finish time for 5K. (9.5ish min/mi pace, heart rate average 149bpm) I know I will be just as work-tired next week so I am volunteering instead of running, though I may do a gentle run of my own before it.

I am a member of the 8 mile club today. Went out with my New Running Friend (who is training for a half) and did the slow 8 miles that were on her program. Only because I promised...I was so so stiff trying to get out of bed. 12.40 pace which is about what she is aiming to stay at. Was internally smug that the earphone I had in one ear informed me that my heart rate didn't get anywhere near effort level - averaged at 125 bpm. I seriously felt I could have gone another 5 miles at that pace without any problem. Time to figure out my optimal half marathon pace I think and get training... ;)

As for work, I work (mostly) in theatre at a local receiving house where UK national and international productions tour in for a week or 4 at a time, then pack everything up and go to the next city. I work in wardrobe, maintaining the costumes and running changes during the shows. I also work for the creative learning department running workshops (mainly theatrical and special effects make up) and produce an annual week long dance festival. Somewhere in there I also fit in freelance costume making, and random TV jobs. It all sounds very exciting until folk realise it is 90% dealing with other peoples sweat sodden underwear from 9am until 11pm 6 days a week...

When I grow up I just want to make things - anything - during normal office hours.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Awesome pace Varda! And Joe!

And interesting reading about everyone's careers. I never could decide what I wanted to be when I grew up - fortunately that job found me when I was 43 years old.

As far as the MOA trip, my birthday is mid-October. Just saying.

Well, I'm in for a birthday trip! I have family in Woodbury (minutes from the MOA). I think I could swing it. Who else is in?
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Had a great run today. I got to go outside!! What a difference it makes.
    Today's run felt easy, light and fun. I ran faster (slightly) than my treadmill pace and felt great the whole time.
    I've noticed that my now "normal" running distance is about 6K (at least outside; the treadmill is harder to get that distance on). Today I ran 5K, walked 3 minutes, then ran another 1.5K (easily). I seem to be moving forward in terms of distance.
    I'm always happy when I notice an improvement in my running performance and to realize that I'm loving the experience of running.

I find that the treadmill is so hard! I know it's all mental, but I just hate it. The outdoors is so much better! Congratulations on you progress and pleasure! ;-)
  • bttrthanevr
    Options

Madmiss! You rule! This is so awesome!!!!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    I was so proud, I did 10 in under 2 hrs... But then totally fell apart for last three ;( I wanted to laugh, cry, stop, curl up in a ball on the ground, even paused my app for 30 seconds to decide whether I could keep going, decided that I could. I have so much more respect for running now, wow. Had an energy bean and a few sips if h20 every mile after 3 - seemed an effective strategy, and for once, my stomach does not hurt after a long run! I even had a teensy breakfast, a muffin and some jam - which is unusual as I usually eat a lot before a long run. Also.... Drumroll, I do not even want to be in the same room as alcohol right now - yup. Wow, huh?!??

Amazing!!! It sounds like you are a whole new woman! LOL!
    You are in the club! I hope to join you soon!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    ...I did a slow 2-mile warmup run...."

Tim, I'm in awe of this off-hand remark. LOL! Kudos on your run!
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Wednesday and Thursday were triple shift days... plenty of hauling stuff up flights of stairs, but no running. What I have been doing at work is planking. Basically a couple of actually-long-term-fit-and-healthys have been challenging us to plank for at least a minute each shift and... OOOFT.

Friday was one job in the morning, a different one in the evening so I went for a run in the afternoon. 3.5 miles with a fast mile as mile 2. Mapped it out then went as fast as I could sustain for a mile. pretty bleeping happy with my 7mph speed / 8:30 min/mi pace... But ouch. If I can EVER keep that up for 3 miles I will consider myself superwoman.

Saturday was my parkrun. Was really really tired from work (and my friday run, and my abs... oh my abs.) Mentally I didn't make it round without having to walk parts of the hills and seriously entertained the idea of just walking out of the park half way though but still managed a 28:51 finish time for 5K. (9.5ish min/mi pace, heart rate average 149bpm) I know I will be just as work-tired next week so I am volunteering instead of running, though I may do a gentle run of my own before it.

I am a member of the 8 mile club today. Went out with my New Running Friend (who is training for a half) and did the slow 8 miles that were on her program. Only because I promised...I was so so stiff trying to get out of bed. 12.40 pace which is about what she is aiming to stay at. Was internally smug that the earphone I had in one ear informed me that my heart rate didn't get anywhere near effort level - averaged at 125 bpm. I seriously felt I could have gone another 5 miles at that pace without any problem. Time to figure out my optimal half marathon pace I think and get training... ;)

As for work, I work (mostly) in theatre at a local receiving house where UK national and international productions tour in for a week or 4 at a time, then pack everything up and go to the next city. I work in wardrobe, maintaining the costumes and running changes during the shows. I also work for the creative learning department running workshops (mainly theatrical and special effects make up) and produce an annual week long dance festival. Somewhere in there I also fit in freelance costume making, and random TV jobs. It all sounds very exciting until folk realise it is 90% dealing with other peoples sweat sodden underwear from 9am until 11pm 6 days a week...

When I grow up I just want to make things - anything - during normal office hours.

Planking = major bonus points. Ouch.

And 8:39 mile?!? Holy awesome!!!

A 28.52 5K!!!!!! You're my hero!

So proud of you for becoming part of the 8 mile club - so awesome!!!! Especially since you say you could go like an energizer bunny for another 5 or more ;)

What a great fun sounding and crazy busy job. Sounds really glamorous except for the underwear part ;) love your stories!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    65 minute run today....7 miles @ 9:20...nice long run for today

This is amazing! I can only dream of sustaining a pace like that over 7 miles.

My run today was on the indoor track. I had hoped for 6 miles today, but the Y closes at 5:30 on Sundays. I didn't get there and start running until 4:35. I also realized once I got there that I had forgotten to change into a running bra. I was faced with a choice, run with what I had, or no run at all. So, naturally I decided to give it a shot. I tested the , ahem, "effect" in the mirror in the locker room before forging ahead. I ran 5 miles total in 56 minutes (and in a push-up bra!). I will be returning to normal attire in the future!

I was pretty happy that with relatively little effort, I ran 5 miles @ an 11min pace. But, I won't be truly happy until I break through 8 miles. I hate it when I think that I was there almost two months ago, and it will probably be another couple of weeks before I get there again.
  • bttrthanevr
    Options

Go Tim! 8 miles!
    Go Joe! 7 miles!

and terrific run! First half marathon fun run! madmiss!

I've been really busy helping my Mom get things together. I got one run in on Friday and one this morning. Then, this afternoon my sister saw that I was just finishing eating lunch and asked me to go for a walk with her. Once we were outside she told me that SHE wanted to walk, but I was to run, because it keeps her pace up to where she'd like it to be. That's why she wanted me out with her, to pace her. So I ran around the block. 10 more running minutes added to my daily total!

That's great! I'm glad your sister is catching the fitness wave! :-)
    Mapped it out then went as fast as I could sustain for a mile. pretty bleeping happy with my 7mph speed / 8:30 min/mi pace... But ouch. If I can EVER keep that up for 3 miles I will consider myself superwoman.

...managed a 28:51 finish time for 5K. (9.5ish min/mi pace, heart rate average 149bpm)

Dip, what can I say??? 8:30 mile - BAM! 28:51 5K - BAM! 8 mile EASY run - BAM! You are rocking it, girl! Go get that HM!!!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    8 miles was a definite boundary that I had to push, so I'm quite impressed!

Great job of going ahead with what you had, Beth. I think that's a quality that separates the wheat from the chaff.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    My first 8 mile run in late November was horrible. So horrible it took me 6 weeks to try again, and that was on a day where I wasn't actually planning to run 8 miles until somewhere in the 4th mile when I decided I had it in me. And that was 8 miles on snow! Excited to see what I can do next. Not quite ready to tackle madmiss' HM for fun though.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

Really, really awesome!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Here's me looking very happy to be approaching the finish line in Saturday's trail race (hmm....definitely heel striking):

12048893945_da402a3944.jpg
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Great shot Tim!!!!!! I can feel the cold permeating!
    My first 8 mile run in late November was horrible. So horrible it took me 6 weeks to try again, and that was on a day where I wasn't actually planning to run 8 miles until somewhere in the 4th mile when I decided I had it in me. And that was 8 miles on snow! Excited to see what I can do next. Not quite ready to tackle madmiss' HM for fun though.

So cool Laura!!!! 8 mile club ;) woot woot!!!! You are going to rock it on dry land ;)

I really sort of only did it to make sure I "could" do it in 3 weeks time. Sort of ;) I am competitive a bit also ;) Today I found all the bits that weren't sore yesterday how ever! Ouch!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    32 miles on the bicycle Saturday, then spent Sunday resting trying not to catch the flu my DH brought home!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I really sort of only did it to make sure I "could" do it in 3 weeks time. Sort of ;) I am competitive a bit also ;) Today I found all the bits that weren't sore yesterday how ever! Ouch!

Foam roll!!!!
  • likitisplit
    Options

My first 7 mile run sucked. So I stopped doing hills on long runs. Then my eight mile run sucked. But I was already committed to the half. Nine sucked. 10 sucked. But only the last 2 miles on any of them. So I went from 6 good miles to eight good miles. Then the drop back week: 8 miles. The last mile sucked. But I was faster. The actual half was better than any of the training. So don't hold yourself back unless you really want to. At least know that you don't have to. it's not a wall.