Starting Nov 1

Replies

• ramalem
    ramalem Posts: 1,066 Member
    Morning ladies!

I did S2 B1 last night - and I didn't really enjoy it all that much. I could hardly make it through the split squats, and was terrible at keeping my balance. The other struggle for me is that there isn't really a ton of room in my gym to do the alternating sets for some of the exercises, so I end up not alternating and wearing myself out (aka the reverse lunges on the box and the cuban snatches). Definitely feeling it today, and starting to realize I probably won't be able to up my weight much through this stage.

Jen - my back isn't achy, but I also used the ez curl bar at only 30lb because the 40/50lb ones were being used. When I do regular DL my back does get a bit sore, but not in a bad way.

Bepee - do I remember you saying you had a slight twinge/pinch after doing the cuban snatches? I realized I wasn't doing them correctly last night and am feeling it on my left side :ohwell:

Anyway, I think I'll be glad to pass this stage, although stage 3 isn't looking much better... Happy hump day ladies!
  • sleepyjen
    sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
    I'll be glad to pass it too. I also use the ez curl bar, but I have a fair amount of weight on it--including its 15 lbs, 55-60 lbs. My chiro and my trainer friend said you don't want a flat back and I felt--perhaps because the squat to grab the bar is so deep--that I was over-using my back. It's a little more than regular-DL achy today--I'd gotten in stage 1 to the point where I never felt those in my back, but today I do!

Cuban snatches. I think I do those badly. Probably I should ease back on the weight, but I've only got 10lb dumbbells. It's exhausting, that one!
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    If you lift 3 days/week, stage 2 flies by! 8 workouts is nothing - done in 2-1/2 weeks - thankfully! I think Stage 3 is the same?

If less weight = better form, I'd drop the weight. Especially if you're feeling it in ways that aren't DOMS. I only get slight DOMS which tells me I could probably lift more - but I'm not willing to risk injury to do so. I'll get there gradually but I might be one of those still doing princess weights at the end LOL
  • sleepyjen
    I think the achiness from the chiro adjustment really threw me. I haven't had one in years, so I kind of forgot. My friend who's a serious lifter said I probably should have given it a day. oh well. And this damn knee. Damn you, knee! I think I'll start doing floor DLs, get a knee compression thing, give it four or five days. It'll take me ages to get through stage 2 :)
  • Blueberry09
    But at least you'll still be standing to get thru it Jen and then it's off to Stage 3!
  • sleepyjen
    Eventually, yes! So I won't be lifting until what, then, Sunday? Boooooohiisssssss. :)
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Sorry about your knee, Jen...I hope it is much better! :flowerforyou:

Thanks...mostly, I love to dance! I can dance and dance and dance all night when we go out dancing! Also for a while I had been looking for high intensity cardio (or at least one that will drive my Heart Rate to close to 80%, or something challenging...) and then I found it when I moved states, and am loving it! :drinker:

About you being achy, DOMS achy is good!
    I think I might swap to doing regular DLs--my back is definitely a little achy today. Should it be? I don't know. It feels DOM achy, but I do suspect that's largely b/c I'm overusing it, pulling up and down on the box.

Getting old is a marvel, isn't it. :P

Bepeejaye, you're a wonder with the multiple classes in one day. Good lord! You have way more energy than I do. Good on you.
  • bepeejaye
    Hi Rama,
    Aye, it was me. The first time I did it, I felt pain on my shoulders and wrists. Then when I went back home I watched some videos on YouTube, and realized I was doing it wrongly. I was hyperextending mi arms...thinking that because I was at an angle, I should extend them until they get past mi ears. But from the videos, it is really a very small movement, and it works that shoulder. I tried it this last time, and I felt great! I only did with 7.5 lbs DBs on each hand. I do not want to up it any higher, until I have the form down.
    Bepee - do I remember you saying you had a slight twinge/pinch after doing the cuban snatches? I realized I wasn't doing them correctly last night and am feeling it on my left side :ohwell:

Anyway, I think I'll be glad to pass this stage, although stage 3 isn't looking much better... Happy hump day ladies!
  • sleepyjen
    I think that's my issue with the snatches--my 10 lb/each hand is way too much.

Thanks for the flower :) I think I'll do something non-stressful to my knee today like the elliptical. It still feels much better than when I initially injured it and couldn't get off the ground or go up stairs without pain--I don't even feel it, really, which I suppose is the probelm--I only feel it doing those bulgarian squats and the lunge variations. Oh well. Better to lose a few days and be well than push through and be hurt.

I did hop on the scale for the first time in weeks today and was down .5 from the lowest weight I saw pre-Christmas--I'll take it!

Have a good day, everyone!
  • Blueberry09
    Stage 2 is in the books! Finished it off this morning with the dreaded workout B.

I don't have my papers in front of me but I know my DL went from 10kgs on the bar to 17.5kg. I just have to remember to straighten out at the top - I tend to get almost upright and set them back down again.

Bulgarian lunges - I discovered I was doing improper form. I wasn't resting my foot on the bench - only my toes. I think I started with my 4kg kettlebell and finished with 12lbs.

The step back lunge started with 8 finished with 10.

Cuban snatches I started with 5 lbs and worked it up to 10. They're awkward but I didn't have any issues with them.

Lat pull downs - for some reason I find this so easy with my cables - I was doing 120 but probably could have gone higher. My cables only go to 200 so I have to leave SOME room for improvement LOL

I did 15 of each of the AB exercises, 10 on each side of the other ones (can't remember what they're called) and 60 sec cobras.

I'm going to be away for a bit next week so I think I'm going to start Stage 3 Feb 3 or 4. I'm picking up more weights for my bar and 15 and 20lb dumbells on the weekend so I should be good to go!
  • sleepyjen
    good for you, blueberry! I used the elliptical machine today. I haven't done that in years.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Good job everyone, sounds like you all are chugging along nicely. Lifting tonight, I always plan Wednesdays to lift but amd so burnt out that Wednesdays has become my "nap on the couch" night.
  • Blueberry09
    Naps on the couch are a necessary part of the plan - at least for me :laugh:
  • sleepyjen
    I've had too much coffee to nap. :drinker:
  • ramalem
    ramalem Posts: 1,066 Member
    No naps for me today sadly.

Completed A2 today - didn't increase weights except for the wood chops, man are those hard! Had some balance issues today with both the pointed rows and the lunges but got er done! Only 5 more workouts in this stupid stage yay!
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Switched lunges and squats with a barbell instead of dumbbell and can move up weight again finally! I don't think I'll go back to dumbells for any more leg exercises.
  • bepeejaye
    Has anyone noticed how similar the Bulgarian squat is to the static lunge rear foot elevated in Stage 2 Workout A?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Switched lunges and squats with a barbell instead of dumbbell and can move up weight again finally! I don't think I'll go back to dumbells for any more leg exercises.

Do you notice a big difference? I have been using only dumbbells and have wondered about this. Deadlifts are especially challenging...not even sure if I should bother doing them.

On a side note, is anyone doing the modified home version of the wood chop with the dumbbells? I have been doing it, but it just doesn't feel right. I asked my hubby if he thought it looked right and he said yes, but I don't know.

At this point I know you are all probably thinking: Would this woman just please go out and buy some real equipment or join a gym??? Hopefully this weekend...
  • Blueberry09
    BPJ I think the difference is the placement of the foot on the step. I was reading the stage 2&4 thread and they were talking about it there.

lporter at least you're still around working hard! So many have dropped out since pages 1 & 2 of this thread :laugh:

I love these conversations because I get ideas on how to make modifications to my own workout if I need to :smile:
  • sleepyjen
    I put my foot higher for the squat--on a weight bench--and lower for the lunge--an aerobic step. now I'll have to look at the book and see where my feet are….might explain my knee, too.

I got a wrap for that today but it fits badly--to tight at edges, bunching in middle. Anyone have one they like?

Thanks,
    J.