Starting Nov 1

Replies

• ramalem
    ramalem Posts: 1,066 Member
    I also put my foot higher for the squat and place my foot with the top of my foot on the bench (if that makes sense). For the lunge my foot is planted and on a step.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Iporter - I found the barbell easier. I moved from 45 lbs dumbells to barbells and was noticing how much my fingers hurt. I have poor grip strength and it hasn't improved at all so it was really holding me back because I couldn't imagine holding 25 lb dumbells in each hand for more than a few seconds. I did find I had to balance a bit more with the barbell for lunges and squats but it wasn't terrible and hopefully involved my abs a bit more. I was also using a barbell that is pre-weighted (dunno name) at 50 lbs so it wasn't as long as the olympic ones. I think I could probably keep moving up in weight too with it as opposed to with the dumbells, no DOMS today so I might not've tried very hard although I moved up my weights in everything.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    thanks for that info. I also have problems with grip strength. This makes me realize even more how badly I need to get a barbell set!
  • terrie_k
    I do like the barbells. I thought my grip strength would improve but it hasn't seemed to at all. I was going to get gloves but have been too lazy to go to the stotre. I think it is mostly in my fingers anyways, so gloves probably won't help.

3 WO + 2 Bonus and I am off to stage 2!! Do you all think it is the interval cardio that helps with the losing weight in the 2nd stage vs none in 1st??
  • sleepyjen
    sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
    Good question--have more of us lost weight in stage 2? I like to run on many of my non lift days, so it might be a wash for me.

Back to the elliptical today. Whee.

I think I'm coming down with a cold. I'm very tempted to drink a hot toddy and hit the hay early :)
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Nooooo Jen! Cold be gone!!!!!!!
    Good question--have more of us lost weight in stage 2? I like to run on many of my non lift days, so it might be a wash for me.

Back to the elliptical today. Whee.

I think I'm coming down with a cold. I'm very tempted to drink a hot toddy and hit the hay early :)
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Jen/Rama/Tessa/Blue, thank you for the info!

I will place my foot higher on the step (add a bottom step if I cannot find a bench) whilst doing the Bulgarian Split Squat.
    I also will place the front foot on the bench, as opposed to the toes.

I will do the Reverse Lunge on the aerobic step, on the low step!

This is great intel!! Wohoo!! :drinker:
  • sleepyjen
    I took a lot of zicam and am feeling much better today. So hopefully that's that!

I'm with you re: dislike of stage 2. Y'all will be in stage 3 when I eventually finish it, and I'll be glad to join you there.
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Looking at stage 3 I'm thinking we might not like it any better! That BWM (body weight matrix) looks deadly! Certainly looks like more weights than core like stage 2. Looking forward to it - sort of - when it doesn't scare me to death :laugh:

Feb 3 is tentative start date!
  • sleepyjen
    i'll just repeat stage 1 over and over :)
  • sleepyjen
    A triumphant return to lifting today for A3. It was eye-opening, as I realized I'd been essentially sabotaging myself. As I competed with myself for gains, I botched form. I felt my knee twinge only once, when I was doing step ups--using a much higher step, my form was a mess, my knees going every which way. Solution? Go back to lower step. Voila, no pain. Lunges I really thought about my movement and position, voila, no pain. FSPP? I finally stopped pausing after my squat and before the push up--a habit, I think, being afraid I'd hurt myself with bad hand position and voila, they were much less hard to do. Hooray!
  • Blueberry09
    Good job Jen! You realize now that A3 is in the bag you only have 3 more till stage 2 is done! :laugh:

I picked up more weights today. I am now the proud owner of 15 and 20 lb dumbells! I plan to put tlhem to good use :smile: I also picked up 30lbs worth of plates to add to my barbell. My MIL was with us at the fitness store - she was quite amazed I could lift that much.
  • sleepyjen
    Thanks, Blueberry! I'm hoping to get in on Wednesday, then over the weekend, and be done midway through next week.

Yay for heavier stuff!
  • ramalem
    Morning ladies! I didn't end up getting to do B2 over the weekend, so I will do that today at lunch and get through B3 over the weekend this weekend so I can be rid of this stage by end of week next week. I haven't noticed any weight loss in this stage, but I don't do the best with my eating so I'm sure I'm just breaking even.

Great job Jen! I too realized I'd been trying to up my weights too quickly. I am just focusing on form right now while using moderate weights and will move to heavier in stage 3.

Happy Monday all!
  • terrie_k
    I mostly asked about the weight loss because I have read, and watched a few people's blogs and most found that they would gain weight in Stage 1 but lose a bit in Stage 2. So far, I think I have gained about 1 lb but my weight fluctuates weekly anyways, plus my eating has been terrible (day 3 of Chinese food leftovers).

I am so close to finishing up Stage 1, I could see the end this week, but now I messed up my back and Dr says to take it easy for a week. BOO!!!! Maybe this will be my rest week and I will go straight from Stage 1 to 2.
  • sleepyjen
    Thanks, Ramalam!

Terrie, use it as your rest week--that way you won't resent it. I hate having to stop on someone else's orders. I have no patience.

Did a short run today--I could feel my knee wasn't 100% but it didn't really hurt. Wrapped it up when I got home. Headed out for a 330 meeting now.
  • Blueberry09
    Good thing it's my rest week between stages - I'm a hurtin' puppy today :sad: I don't know if it's because it's been 19 days since I last ran intervals on my treadmill or because of all the dancing I did in heels at my Christmas party Saturday night! That sure works different muscles LOL

OWWWIE! :noway: Lifting never hurt this bad !!
  • sleepyjen
    oh no! i hope today's better.
  • ramalem
    Awww blue! Dancing always makes me sore :) Get better!!!

Guys, seriously workout B just blows. Those bulgarian split squats just kill me... sigh. PLEASE tell me those don't resurface in stage 3?