30 Day Shred and Nordic Skiing

Options

Replies

• PortiaBentley
    PortiaBentley Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Bracken! You are doing so very well! An inspiration to us all. I wish I was feeling nearly as focused as you at present - but I'm doing a bit better at the moment so fingers crossed. It is difficult when you have been virtually housebound and the only reason for going out seems to be sharing food with others, to keep on the straight and narrow food wise - but it seems to me you are doing a really good job and have made progress at a time when I for one have been going backwards! Well Done!
    PB
  • Lovemyveg
    Lovemyveg Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hip hip hoorah for Bracken. To be back near your best weight is fantastic! Keep going with the exercise because even if you are not doing your absolute best food wise (and who out of us is with the weather like it is at the moment?) at least the exercise is mitigating it. I don't know about you, but I feel less inclined to eat after a good workout so it helps in that respect too.

Paradoxically, because I can't exercise with my neck the way it is, I want to!! I Amon the mend though and have a bit more movement now. More physio tomorrow!

xx
  • brackenmh
    brackenmh Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Thanks LMV, encouragement is so great. You are absolutely correct about exercise moderating eating. Exercise really stabilizes my eating nearly always. If I were not exercising indoors this winter I would have just ballooned. Your comment about wanting to exercise badly now that you can't is very interesting. A couple of weeks ago my acid reflux was so bad one day, I could do no exercise and remember thinking that I really wanted to also. I was thinking about this psychological mode you have brought up and was wondering if it could be applied to diet. I suppose one would have to feel forced to eat more than one wanted, to feel there was no way you would be allowed to eat less! Anyway, I hope you are soon able to resume you workouts. It sounds as if you are making progress.
  • brackenmh
    Options
    This is an add to my post below. I wanted to log my exercise and forgot. So yesterday it was 3 1/4 miles on the treadmill and today it was 3 miles on the treadmill and worked on the pilates dvd.
  • PortiaBentley
    Options
    Rode Harley again today - rather different to Friday as he had been out hunting yesterday morning - so he was a bit full of himself. had a little spooky wook at a bird in a tree (silly boy) but other than that a lovely ride out despite the wind and a little shower of fine rain. Friday morning was nicer though in many ways as the weather was perfect. Just come in and had my breakfast - a bit of a naughty bacon and egg with a couple of sliced fried potatoes - yummy and it counts as breakfast and lunch. Going out later to celebrate a friends birthday. Back to work tomorrow.

PB
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Did 3 miles on the treadmill today but would not have set any records for time! Have pulled a muscle possibly or ligament in arm or shoulder, probably attempting push ups- it is very painful. I'm seeing my Doctor tomorrow as it happens and will ask her about it but expect to be told to rest it, be careful or don't overstress it. PB, I'll bet your ride was far more fun than my treadmill.
  • brackenmh
    Options
    I have not updated here recently. After the difficult Monday which I posted on the other thread, I have managed to get back on track to some extent though not to the level of the previous couple of weeks. Partly this has been because of stomach problems which have made bending exercises difficult so no Jillian or pilates. However, Tuesday I did 3 miles on the treadmill, then 3 3/4 Wednesday, and 3 today. Since I have been feeling sort of generally off, I am going to take the advice of LMV and not be too hard on myself about this.
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    BRACKEN - I've indulged myself and read up on all that has been posted whilst I've been away. I was continuously thinking at each of your posts what an amazing effort and how much hard work you've put in over the past couple of weeks, in challenging to say the least circumstances. So like LMV when I read the 'off' day I too felt you're being far too hard on yourself you've been so inspiring (inspire yourself and re-read your posts!) do not let this little slip get the better of you. And one more thing please do ramble on about your Grandmother's diary I loved it all!

Crackers I will be back tomorrow. Since my return late Monday the rest of this week has been turned into one of my hard weekends working, as the husband is working the Italian half-term in Italy at a skiing hotel as of tomorrow so I shall be posting once he's out the door!!

Be good!
  • brackenmh
    Options
    MITM, thanks so much for your kind words and great to have you back. You and LMV have really helped me get through this week. Thanks also for your words about the journals. I'm enjoying doing them although my typing skills are not great so it is quite a labour. A quick anecdote from today. My grandma writes about the letter she got from my father about his first Christmas in England. He describes the Christmas dinner in detail including Christmas pudding and 2 pints of beer ( which I believe were the typical army rations). Anyway, apparently my father traded his beer away for extra Christmas pudding. ( I can't imagine many 19 years old males doing so today!) I guess then I come by my sweet tooth honestly as I too would probably go for the pudding over the beer. Hope your weekend goes well and does not leave you too exhausted.
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Quick note to log in exercise. Did 3 1/4 miles on treadmill. Did 1/2 Jillian - stopped because my wretched reflux was bothering me.
    Anyway the exercise got me through another very cold day with a bit of afternoon sleet which would make the roads slick. I was glad that I had gone to my brother's in the morning for a nice visit and Nellie had had a good time with my brother's dog, Sirius.
  • mummyinthemountains
    mummyinthemountains Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    'Beck Diet Solution;-

Sabotaging Thought: I'm too busy/rushed/stressed to exercise this week, I'll start next week.

Response: when has 'starting next week' ever helped me to reach my goals? I need to start doing these things this minute or I never will. Besides, exercises will actually help me calm down and make me less stressed, not more. And being busy is no excuse because I won't be able to do all those things if I'm not healthy.'

So - Jillian and 'Ripped' came out of the DVD case... And I'm once again absolutely hooked!! Today was day 3. The 3:2:1 interval system, mixing cardio, strength and abs just works for me oh and the fact the actual work out is only 20 minutes. It's a killer level 1 a lot of the moves are from the dreaded Shred, like nearly all the nasty ones condensed down and worked through at a super, fast pace!

Jillian warns 20 minute work outs come at a price, she promises sweating (buckets!) maybe shredding a few tears (I screamed a bit!) and she will try not to draw blood (that's good to know BM!) but I still loved every minute. Well I feel I've been ripped but I also believe Jillian when she says she can smell burning fat - I so hope that's true!
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Hello MITM. Thanks for posting inspiring and prompting words from Beck. I also checked what you've posted on the Wisdom thread. Those words are very true indeed. I'm very glad to see your enthusiasm fired once again for Jillian. I've been a bit quiet here for a couple of days as I haven't been feeling well. I think part of it is a sinus infection but it seemed to leave me very tired and lethargic. It was not helped when I had a phone call from my sister before 7.a.m. yesterday asking if I could do her a favour by going and picking up her daughter and driving her to school ( in fairness my sister does not often ask me for help and I couldn't refuse) This involved a 20 minute drive from my house, a 45 minute drive to the school and then driving home. It was quite disruptive on a day when I had wanted to get extra rest. The day before I felt so crappy that I lay down for a nap mid-morning something I never, ever do. This has left me feeling I can't manage exercise although I am frustrated by it. With any luck I will get back to my program tomorrow if I can't manage a little bit later today. I have been very consistent with my exercise recently and only hope that I'll be able to start again at a decent level.
    Also, saw your query re LMV. I too have been thinking of her and wondering if she is o.k. I have not checked back through previous threads but to my mind her trip to Budapest was later, in April I thought.
    Regards to all Crackers wherever you may be.
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Bracken - it looks likes for whatever reason it's just you and me at the moment.... Well I was sorry to hear of your recent woes but through your troubles I could hear the determined voice of 'I'm not giving in or giving up' so even if you're travelling a little slower you are still going in the right direction! So I hope it's getting a little easier again. And what a good sister/aunt you are!!

I didn't have 'time' (and after my last post!!) to get ripped today but I did get some exercise in. I ventured out into the garden as the snow has melted in one small area along our hedge - no snow one side, 1 metre high and wide the other side! Sadly there were many branches snapped off which I could remove and then to my delight I discovered there were tulips coming up under the hedge - oh what an uplifting moment!

Hope everyone is doing okay? Be good Crackers!!
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Hello MITM, I'm here in some fashion at least! This really has been quite a nasty week for me but at least when I woke up this morning I felt my head was much clearer and that I was on the mend. I have managed to do 2 miles on the treadmill- the first mile felt like the longest mile, and of course I was going slower so the 2 miles have been a bit of a victory. Like you I am looking for uplifting moments and signs of spring. Today is sunny and 0C which feels almost balmy after recent days. However, possible snow in some form, perhaps icy, is forecast for part of tomorrow and there are colder days still forecast for next week. I did have the delightful experience at lunch of looking out my dining room window and seeing the chipmunk climbing in some ivy and looking in the window box. I wanted to put some food out for him/her but the snow there is well over my boots. I do have a birdfeeder not too far away on a lamppost which the chipmunk may find. I think he probably hibernates under my front door steps. It really is quite wonderful to think of these little creatures surviving such terrible temps and snow as this winter. Yesterday was a bit of a disaster, and not food-wise this time. I wanted to just get out although it was very cold so decided to drive into nearby London and go to the indoor farmer's market which has a very good organic meat place. Normally I can park close by on the street but for some reason it was very busy and I had to a park inside the underground parking ( I have done this before). When I got parked, I realized I really wasn't feeling that well but did make a quick trip to the meat place and then came right back to leave.
    I haven't used that parking place for a while and realized there were all these signs about paying at stations which I had not done.
    I was also having trouble finding the exit, then thought I'd have to park again and get the ticket paid at a machine. Meanwhile a huge truck was looming behind me so I tried to pull into the first space I saw to let him pass. That proved to be a big mistake. I was trying to hurry and suddenly heard his horn, and then heard a dreadful noise - I had hit the side of my vehicle on a cement pole, pushing a large section of the side panel in! It will undoubtedly cost a few hundreds of dollars to repair. Can I say I was bummed out! To add insult to injury, there was a manned booth where I could have paid and not have tried to stop again. Anyway, I'm trying not to dwell on it too much. It is the first time almost forever I've done something like that.
    I'm looking forward to hearing how you & Jillian are doing, MITM, with hopes that I can resume working on the pilates and some Jillian too.
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Well I woke up this morning aching from head to toe which initially I couldn't understand as I haven't had time for Jillian of late. It wasn't illness aches and pains but felt like muscles that haven't been used for a long time and then it suddenly dawned on me; my DIY madness is probably the cause. I have finally started painting the first floor hallway. I began on Friday and I've just completed day 3 and I'm halfway along... these Austrian houses like their corridors! All that bending, stretching, reaching and climbing is a continuous work-out of sorts without the sweat or tears that Jillian promises!! And if nothing else it has kept me occupied for hours on end and out of the kitchen zone and it's looking 100 times better than it did. It's less than 3 weeks before I return to England and in my dreams I would like to get it all completed; the stairway walls and the second floor hallway but for the time being I shall concentrate on the job in hand!
  • brackenmh
    Options
    A very quick pop-in to note that I did a little better today with three miles on the treadmill, still not at my best intensity but better and tackled a bit of pilates.
    Have just read of your marathon DIY exploits, MITM, and tired just reading about it. It certainly should equal some Jillian moves!
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Feeling somewhat better today and was able to do 2 1/4 miles on the treadmill plus I took Nellie for a walk. a little over a mile. It was actually about 6C and sunny so I was quite pleased to be able to do that as was Nellie. There has been some snow melt today but it will take time before it all melts and there will be lots of water under foot. So some light is appearing at the end of the tunnel.
  • PortiaBentley
    Options
    Hello Crackers - well its been a bit up and down and I'm not doing well on the food front - but I did, yesterday morning, go for a 5 1/2 mile walk with a friend - it was lovely - and we were walking at 4+ miles per hour so quite proud of myself. Will ride tomorrow too and rode on Sunday morning. The weather has been much better here the last few days and as such everything seems a lot better - with lots of spring flowers - and the snowdrops are thick everywhere which is fabulous.

take care all

PB
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Evening Crackers!

Ooh music to my ears, as I was hanging out the washing on the balcony, I could hear what sounded like a stream trickling nearby - the sound of melting snow! It will probably end up a river the amount of snow there is to disappear! However I understand where you are coming from Bracken.

PB - it's a start in the right direction when you're exercising because you can only feel better for it. Enjoy your ride tomorrow. I have been thinking about you and worrying as to how you are doing, as I would hate for you to undo all your hard work over the previous year. Are you still with Tesco Diets? I ask because although I personally prefer this site for discussion, obviously the actual diets with TD do work but if you are, have you reread your blog as I remember it inspiring me! But we all have rough patches at some point and then suddenly you wake up wanting to do things differently, so I would suggest you take it one day at a time.

Today I made time to meet with Jillian and I was pleasantly surprised. Last week I struggled with the 'fast feet' - new to me this move have you come across it Bracken on one of her many other DVDs; running on the spot fast in a squat position HORRIBLE! however today no pain!! The plank position I didn't collapse before the 30 seconds (it's longer!!) and the reverse position 'flip over' she says, I crawl over - but I succeeded!! So I'm feeling 'fit' today - tomorrow is another day and another matter!

Be good Crackers!
  • brackenmh
    Options
    P.B. so nice to have a word from you. I'm so impressed that you can do a 5 1/2 mile brisk walk. That certainly says something about the fitness level you have achieved. Good also that you are keeping riding and I am envious of your weather and spring flowers. I finally got out to see and groom my horse today but did not ride as I'm still somewhat under the weather with the virus or whatever I've had. However, it was lovely to see my boy and he is doing fine. A funny thing was when I looked at him today I thought "gee, he looks big, taller." Of course, he has not grown but just being away as I have been seemed to make him seem more imposing! (He's a shade under 16 hands so not a small horse, but certainly not a very large horse either) I thought MITM made an excellent point about revisiting your blog as I remember it also. I know myself that when I have difficulty on the food front that it is very easy to sort of 'numb out' and lose touch with the better part of yourself. Perhaps your blogs can help you find your way again. You are half way there with the exercising so don't give up. MITM, good to hear that you are feeling progress with your Jillian. I have not heard of the 'fast feet' and it is not on my dvd. However, you have described it well and it does truly sound HORRIBLE! As I picture it, I could only imagine tumbling over onto my back and feeling like an overturned turtle! So no pain for you means a real gain on that move. We had a nice day today but a real return to winter weather is predicted for tomorrow with -12C and significant snowfall. Very disappointing as I have enjoyed getting Nellie out these past two days. I have also had to cancel a little excursion one of my sisters and I had planned for tomorrow.Today we walked a mile and a half, and then I did a mile on the treadmill. I also worked on the pilates tone and stretch section today. It is all slowly getting better but not quite up to my previous intensity yet. Let's all hang in, and hang together! Regards.