Talking Dead: Team Michonne

Options

Replies

• FromFlabToFurious
    FromFlabToFurious Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    THE MINI-AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF THE DAZZLER

My name is Darren and I’m a recovering fatty-bum-bum, I’m 23 years of age and I work two jobs in retail but my passion is to write although lately, I've not done much of that except for the writing I do everyday on my blog (www.doesmybloglookbig.wordpress.com).

I don’t really want to say anything cheesy or pretentious or go all Katie Price on you and say “This is my journey to weight-loss, read about my highs and lows, my eightieth marriage and my seventy-ninth divorce, my gains and losses and what I eat” because I’m sure not a lot of you might be interested but I’m going to write this **** anyway, no matter how uninteresting!

My goal weight would be 15st but I am putting muscle on as well so the scales may differ from time to time and say that I’ve put weight on. I do have a bit of a problem when it comes to weighing myself because, I know I'm not supposed to but I can become a little obsessive and weigh myself everyday. My biggest fear is that I'd do all the exercise and not see any result, which is something I'm going through right now. People say I've lost loads of weight and they see a huge difference from a couple of months ago but I physically can't and that kind of upsets me.

I wanted to lose weight because most of my friends were nicely built and slim and out of all of them, I was the biggest and it didn’t feel nice at all. That plus the fact I was bullied in school, I decided I wanted to lose weight to feel better in myself. After all the name-calling and the so-called pranks, I got them back at their own game by calling myself names or using sarcasm. They soon stopped once I did that because they couldn't find any other weakness. I think a good way to come to terms with anything is to make fun of the situation. My reasons for trying to lose fat now, however, is different. I’m just unhappy in my body. I’m not unhappy in myself, I love who I am, I just don’t love my body.

I actually do feel pressured by the media to look good because you see these men in adverts and magazines with their shirts off, showing off their six-packs and you see girls talk to each other, saying how he has a good body and such and there’s me with a gut replicating a sack of spuds. I look at those men on the cover of fitness magazines and wish that one day, I could look like that. I do that every single day when I do Insanity. I look at the people doing it and I hang on to the hope that one day, I'll be looking that good. I know that women feel the same pressures but you always hear about how women feel pressured because of the media and you don’t hear enough of how men are pressured to look a certain way too and we should be hearing more on the male side of things.

I used to comfort-eat an awful lot. I got bullied and I also wasn't happy with being fat and the only thing that made me feel better was food so I scoffed away. Unfortunately though, it's a never-ending cycle. You eat, you gain, you eat, you gain...I knew I had to do something and my family helped me through my weight loss. It's been an extremely long battle but it's one I'm willing to overcome this year!

Sorry I've written all of this but somehow, it just seems relevant, y'know...I can't explain it. If you guys ever wanted to read my weight loss blog, I update it almost every day: www.doesmybloglookbig.wordpress.com
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Aww Dazz, I think it is all truly relavant! Thanks so much for sharing with us!
    Anyone else?
    I am working on mine tonight.
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, just a quick check in before bed. Sorry I have been too busy to chat. But I have been keeping up on my exercise. I presume its ok for the punishment exercise if we do the 25 minutes over 3 days instead of 5? I am doing a mud run on Saturday so I am not doing anything on Friday that might make me sore for it and I am very unlikely to come home from that and want to do some wall sits! Today I did 6.5 minutes. I would have done more but after doing lots of squats, lunges and burpees my legs refused to cooperate any longer!

I'll catch up on all the posts tomorrow but I just had a quick look through them. Dazz did you say that you have over 300 minutes of cardio done already??? Damn you're good!!
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Aww Dazz, I think it is all truly relavant! Thanks so much for sharing with us!
    Anyone else?
    I am working on mine tonight.

I'm having a hard time thinking I could be inspirational. I'm not sure what I could tell some one that a better body or bigger success story couldn't. I'll have to think on it

Daz <3 loved your story.
  • zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,901 Member
    Options
    Ellie I love your new picture! :)

Dazz, great job. I like your real name. Darrin is a strong name. :) You are rocking.

I got in 2 sets of the wall squats. Luckily I have been doing them for a few years. :laugh:
    40 minutes of speed walking
    40 minutes of weight training, including but not limited to 106 pushups, 165 squats, 90 lunges, 50 pound skull crushers and flys. Yes I had a spotter for the skull crushers. :bigsmile: You should also. I did preacher curls also, but could not get passed 20 lbs per arm. Form was really bad at the end. So I quit!

Shelley
  • PhoenixStrikes
    Options
    Ellie I love your new

Shelley

Thank you :flowerforyou:

Rest day for me! But, I have tomorrow off while the parents of the children I nanny for take the kids to the zoo for their birthday. Two sets of twins with birthdays within 8 days of each other! So, ill be able to really get a good work out in! Should I be listing the exercises I do as well? I'm new to strength training so I'm a little embarrassed at my routines.
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    Ellie never be embarrassed of what you can do. Only be embarrassed when you do not even try. Years ago, I think I was twenty. I had a record album and flash cards. I know, pathetic! It was a workout routine. You listened to a woman trying to motivate you into working out. And followed along with the cards. I did not have any weights. So I went into the cupboard and got out cans of food. Tomato paste weighs 6 ounces! We all start somewhere. :smooched:

And now I am an officer and have 30 pound dumbbells! Lol. Ellie you got this. By the way I am 53 now.

Shelley
  • FromFlabToFurious
    Options
    Ellie, never think that you're not inspirational. Seriously. I mean, look at this week for instance. You got a leg tattoo and couldn't do the punishment but did you say "I can't do the punishment so I'm not doing it!"? No! Instead, you said "I can't do it, find me an upper body alternative!", that's awesome in itself. That's inspirational because you're not giving up and you're not finding an excuse to get out of it. You're simply trying to find an alternative and that's awesome. Don't think you're not inspirational or motivational because everyday of your life, you are whether it's someone else or yourself. Personally, I'd love to hear everyone's story on here and I think the stories here would be amazing, like Team Michonne is. Also, don't feel embarrassed about your routines at all, as long as you try your best and as long as you still have the mindset of doing it, it's awesome. You're going to the zoo twice in just over a week as well, the exercise you'll get from that will be awesome as well. As Shelley said, it's embarrassing if you don't try but we can all see you do and we all see the determination you have! :)

Shelley, are you a police officer? When I started, I did exercise DVDs that were only half an hour long but I also did swimming and loved it until I became allergic to chloride in the water. At the same time though, I was playing Dance Dance Revolution. Throughout the years, I became really good and even entered competitions, none of which I won but I held my ground as well. I stopped playing that though but I've thought about getting back into it. As Shelley said, we all start from somewhere!
  • PhoenixStrikes
    Options
    Thanks guys. :flowerforyou: virtual hugs are being passed around!! :heart:

I really I needed to hear that as I was definitely feeling guilty for not being able to keep up this half of the week but as my husband put it I have a very large wound and my body is trying to heal it. Don't over due it and end up hurting yourself worse. I'm feeling much better today and will be able to get in some upper body today and a fast walk around our park tonight.
  • DouMc
    Options
    Ellie, I love the new photo! And I agree with the others, you are amazing and definitely think you are crazy to say that you are not inspirational!

Dazz, I love both your fitsbiration and your bio. You are amazing and have come so far. Don't let the scale not moving get you down. I am having a similar experience but in the last two weeks 4 different people have expressed amazement about how much weight I have lost. I find it hard to know how to respond when I haven't actually lost any weight at all!

Today I was feeling really down in the office so I ate a chocolate muffin. Don't know what possessed me to do it, I don't particularly like sweet things. Anyway, about 2 hours later my stomach started churning and I haven't felt well since. I didn't do any exercise today (apart from some wall sits) because I was afraid I would be sick on myself if I did but I will make up for it tomorrow.
  • FromFlabToFurious
    Options
    Ellie, I love the new photo! And I agree with the others, you are amazing and definitely think you are crazy to say that you are not inspirational!

Dazz, I love both your fitsbiration and your bio. You are amazing and have come so far. Don't let the scale not moving get you down. I am having a similar experience but in the last two weeks 4 different people have expressed amazement about how much weight I have lost. I find it hard to know how to respond when I haven't actually lost any weight at all!

Today I was feeling really down in the office so I ate a chocolate muffin. Don't know what possessed me to do it, I don't particularly like sweet things. Anyway, about 2 hours later my stomach started churning and I haven't felt well since. I didn't do any exercise today (apart from some wall sits) because I was afraid I would be sick on myself if I did but I will make up for it tomorrow.

Thank you for your kind words, Louise! It's very sweet of you to say!

I know what you're going through. I was speaking to my friend who is also kinda-sorta my personal trainer (he does my circuits and advises me) and he told me that scales are NEVER 100% accurate and the best way to find out whether you've lost fat is through measuring your waist and chest. I think I'm going to be taking his advice on that from now on and I'm going to throw my scales out. I should have thrown my scales away a long time ago anyway, I'm pretty certain they're incorrect and they can't even be adjusted. He measured my waist today and was amazed to find that my waist has gone down half an inch in just under a month. I asked if that was a good thing and he told me it was brilliant because most people lose just under that. I hope you're feeling okay though, what with you feeling down as well as unwell! Get well soon and if you need any of us to help you, we're here!

Ellie, don't even think about feeling guilty! Your husband is a wise man! Listen to him! He's right, the last thing you need is to injure yourself! Get yourself better before thinking about exercising your lower body! We'll bring Abraham home!

=====

CARDIO:
    Davina McCall's 3x30 minute workout (boxing)- 30 minutes
    Walking- 60 minutes
    Boxing- 15 minutes
    Rowing- 10 minutes
    Treadmill (walking)- 10 minutes
    Jump Rope- 5 minutes
    Wall Squat- 5 minutes

STRENGTH TRAINING:
    Push Ups- 60 reps
    Kettlebell Snatch- 60 reps with a 12kg
    Squats- 70 squats
    Deadlifts- 100 reps with a 15kg
    Pull-ups- 10 reps

Cardio: 450/250 (60/60 Combat)
    Strength Training: 60/90
    Wall Squats [Team Tyreese and Sasha Punishment]: 2/5

135 minutes added to Cardio (45 minutes added to Combat), 20 minutes added to strength training and 1 added to the punishment.

ABRAHAM! I'M COMING FOR YA!
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    The Mini-Autobiography

My name really is Shelley. And I am a closet chocolate eater. 53 years young. Currently I have 4 Shi Tzu's, two cats and two aquariums. Oh and one husband of almost 35 years. :flowerforyou: These are my loves. I also am an avid gardener. Mostly unusual perennials.

This should be health related. But I have a tendency to wander. Suck it up Butter Cup. :bigsmile: Lets take a trip back through time. Art class in 1978, my senior year. We were given a form to fill out. What do you want to be when you grow up? Hmmm, had not really thought about that much. I read through it. Then at the very bottom it said Law Enforcement. Bingo, I checked it.

I was married shortly after graduation. Forgot all about that little survey. First child was born eleven months later. C-section. I was placed on high risk and told I should not have another child. I was thin for the next two years. But not healthy. Then I started working out. I lifted weights and did cardio to Richard Simmons. :laugh: My husband was in the Army. He was stationed in Germany. For the next 12 months while waiting to catch up with him I worked out more. One year later we had a son. He was a natural birth, I contribute that to my exercise regime.

Flash forward 18 years. The kids are both leaving home, and one grandson later. I was overweight, by almost 60 pounds and could hardly lift my out of shape butt out of bed. I was working at a Juvenile Detention Correctional facility. One day I found an application form in my locker. One of the Deputies from second floor had put it there I was told. Could I really be an officer? I thought back all those years to that survey. I started working out again. I looked up the requirements to go to the academy. Run? I didn't think it could be that hard. I went out late at night to run so no one would see me. Three steps into my "run" I realized I had shin splints! To make a long story short I iced, heated and exercised them away. That was a struggle. I ran until I puked. Then I ran some more. I did pushups, sit ups, karate, ran some more. Puked some more. Cut out the junk in my diet. I worked out 7 days a week. Even took my weights to Sturgis for the bike rally with my husband. I never gave up. Finally I could bench press almost 200 pounds! I could make the run without puking! I filled out the application. I passed the physical, I passed the psych evaluation. Then I was at the academy in Douglas WY. I did 72 pushups in one minute and earned my Fit For Duty Pin. :drinker: I was so proud of myself. I went to visit my grandmother in another state. She came out of the back room with her hands in the air "I give up, I give up" she was 90 years old and still able to make jokes.

My other hurtle I had to overcome was shooting. I had to pass a course with moving targets. I actually love to shoot now.

It has been a long struggle keeping the weight mostly off. And stay in shape. My family is my inspiration. They are so proud to have an officer in the family.

I love to have children come up and ask me if I am a "cop". It was a very long road to this place I am in. That was ten years ago. Never give up.

Shelley

Dazz I am a Deputy Sheriff. Deputies are in charge of the county, jail and courthouses. When I walk in the halls during lunch for my 30 minutes it is with full uniform on. Boots, gun belt and Kevlar vest. It is hot under that vest!
  • PhoenixStrikes
    Options
    I love your story! Nothing cooler than reading about some one reaching their goals. You should be proud of yourself for accomplishing so much!
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    Thanks so much Ellis. Funny thing is, I feel I have more to do. I want to climb down into the Grand Canyon and out some day. :laugh:

I hope everyone has a great day today. I did another wall sit this morning to save time later. A trial went away, so I am hoping to get in at least an hour walking also. Then I can get in something else tonight. Have a great day everyone.

Shelley
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday All! Dang Shelley you are inspiration to everyone! I love how hard you worked to obtain your goal and never gave up. I feel like I give up and start over on a daily basis, lol. A fitspiration should be easy for you! Ellie, Louise, when are we going to read yours? I am still working out what I want to say. Everything on my body is sore by the way, I have been doing new workouts, besides running, so I must be using different muscles than I am use to using! UGH, I am over the wall sitting thing too! LOL.
  • SaraAlexandre
    SaraAlexandre Posts: 1,313 Member
    Options
    Cindy told me I should peek in and check out everyone's stories because they are very inspiring. So, I read Dazz and Shelly and you guys are just awesome! Love your stories and feel free to check out team Carols. We have some awesome people in there too. Off to another board.
  • PhoenixStrikes
    Options
    Hello! my name is Ellie and I am a 32yr old married woman. I nanny for a family with two sets of twins for the last four years.  I love those children as though they were my own!

As far as my weight loss journey goes I've always been just a little over weight, most people would call it chubby. It never really got in the Way of my lifestyle until my husband and I decided to try and get pregnant.  After almost two years with no success I decided to try and bring my BMI down to a healthy range and see if that would help.  At 180lbs on a good day I knew I had a bit of a jounrey ahead of me so New Year's Eve 2011 I started watching what I eat and slowly introducing exercise in to my daily life. I was so out of shape that I started out with the Wii fit which was actually a challenge for me at the time. :laugh:

Shortly after dropping 15lbs my husband and I found out I was expecting a baby.  Unfortunately I lost that pregnancy and my weight koss regiment was put on hold.  Over the next couple years I unfortunately lost more pregnancies but after each one I was determined to continue losing weight.  It has taken me a couple years to drop the 40lbs but as of right now I am a healthy weight and body fat percentage for really the first time in my life.  I am enjoying that I can lighten up on my diet and eat closer to maintanence and that I am able to participate and keep up in challenges like this one. 

One plus side of taking so long to lose the weight is that I am very confident in my ability to keep off and maintain my weight because I took the time to learn the proper way to eat and exercise with out depriving myself of anything or falling back in to bad habits.  
  • DouMc
    Options
    Ellie I'm so sorry to hear about your miscarriages. it must be terrible to go through something like that. But it is amazing how you have come out of it so strong and determined to do what you need to do. Anything you have said about not being inspirational needs to be retracted immediately!!
  • DouMc
    Options
    Ok my turn. Im not really sure what to write about but I'll give it a go. Here is the (slightly embarrassing) story of how I got fat, and then not so fat.

I was always a little heavy but never huge and I am tall so I can pull it off. But in 2011 I was living in Bristol and I got really sick and lost a load of weight. I had no appetite so I wasn't eating but I refused to accept that I was sick so I kept going to zumba and walking everywhere! Anyway, I ended up in hospital and was diagnosed with an autoimmune illness, Addisons disease, which basically means that my body doesn't produce cortisol and I now have to take medication everyday for the rest of my life.
    (as an aside, Dazz, be grateful for the NHS. They are amazing! When I was in England I got all my drugs for free, when I moved back home I was told that I would have to pay €70 a month for my life saving medication!)
    Anyway with the medication came my appetite, back with a vengeance! But also a realisation that I actually was sick and so maybe I should take it easy, so I stopped walking so much and missed quite a bit of zumba. This happened in February of 2012. By Halloween I had piled on the weight and was very very self conscious about it. But I was also feeling great! That year my sister threw a halloween party (I dressed up as a fat zombie) and I had this weird experience where I was suddenly feeling healthy enough to enjoy a party. So I expressed that by drinking ALL the alcohol! I don't know what came over me but I got very, very drunk. At this party I met my little sisters new boyfriend who I of course wanted to make a good impression on. Unfortunately in my drunken and self conscious state I went about this by ranting for hours about how "I'm not meant to be this fat, its the drugs". needless to say, the next morning I was mortified! (well actually it was the next evening, that morning I had to go to hospital because apparently Addisons doesn't go very well with excessive amounts of alcohol!).
    That was the point where I knew something needed to change. But I had no idea how to go about losing the weight. I never had any interest in starving myself and i knew that the tiny amount of exercise that I was fit enough to do would not be enough. Luckily, a couple of days later I met my sister in law who looked amazing! I asked her what she was doing and she pointed me towards MFP. Now, 18 months later, I am down 32lbs and only 4lbs short of my goal weight, although I do have lots and lots of body fat to get rid of too. But on top of that, I can also run for longer than 30 seconds at a time, I can do burpees, and I can lift heavy things. And I have so much energy that I feel restless if I am forced to sit still for any length of time! So I suppose I can call that success.
  • PhoenixStrikes
    Options
    I'm glad to hear you are feeling better! Medical mishaps seem to be a common theme in our group. We are all so strong for overcoming them and still hitting or working towards our goals. :drinker: