Talking Dead: Team Carol

Options

Replies

• SaraAlexandre
    SaraAlexandre Posts: 1,313 Member
    Options
    I have been keeping the cardio up but I have been having a hard time keeping my eating under control. I have to work on that this week. I think maybe I will try to eat more protein to see if that helps.
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    Woohoo!!! I went all last week without eating bad carbs. The only ones I had were already in the meals I cooked, or in the protien bars I had (sometimes breakfast is just easier with a protein bar). I also did one day of the C25k and while I was hungry after, it wasnt for sweets. Heres to hoping all the other days are just like that one!!!
  • SaraAlexandre
    Options
    Way to go TJ, don't you wish it was easy to stay on target every day??? You are doing awesome!
  • kawookie
    kawookie Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am in for team Carol. I love Darryl but then I am not ready for his team, so Carol it is. She is pretty pathetic in the first season (the one I am currently watching) but from the spoilers I have read it seems like that changes. :drinker:

Introduction: I am Kim, 36, from Ohio. This is my second challenge with this group (also participated in the Wizard of Oz). I am down 40+ pounds from when I started and I'm about halfway to my goal. Generally speaking, I stay within calories and water and exercise each day. However, I am just starting with weight training and I managed to strain my IT band by doing a Leslie Sansone video (of all things-- pretty embarrassing). Firm 30 is a minefield of squats and lunges.

My weight-loss seems to have slowed, so I am looking forward to being forced into trying new workouts and strength training moves. I am a little intimidated by the current pre-challenge. I just took some before pictures and they are de-motivational. I'm not sure it is possible that I can change from de-motivational to motivational over the course of this challenge. I would settle for non-scary pictures. :happy:
  • hajenkatt
    hajenkatt Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies!! I'm glad to be here. My son was home sick with a nasty fever today, but I did manage to squeeze in two of the low impact cardio kickboxing from the early bird challenge links. I hope to do my arm strength traing app tonight once I get the kids settled. I do the 10 minute one and usually really feel the burn after doing it.
  • SaraAlexandre
    Options
    Welcome to the team Kim! We are intermediate but usually challenges progressively push you to do more and get out of your comfort zone. I think because it's so difficult for everyone to view videos, we will not be focusing on that this challenge. I think I will be designing our work outs based on the episode and how to train for the zombie world. Sound fun???

Hope your son is better HajeKatt.
  • simbersea
    simbersea Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - I just signed up to be part of Team Carol - who can resist a women who learns to be strong and wants to teach others how to be strong too?

I have just started lifting weights, so I'm trying to learn how to be stronger. I figure if I have some muscles, there wont be as much room left for the fat . I don't have any martial arts workout videos, so I'll head over to Amazon and see what they have. Anyone have any recommendations?

I'm a pretty regular exerciser, so should be able to contribute there. Not as great on the food.... love good food and wine way too much. So this is a work in progress....

Karen
  • SaraAlexandre
    Options
    you sound like me Karen. lol...welcome to the team. glad to have you.
  • hajenkatt
    Options
    I was messing around on the computer today and felt the need to add a little Carol in here to get us motivated. :)

7be311af-0392-4a66-b260-4a0fb3e19666.jpg
  • hajenkatt
    Options
    Carolburn.jpg
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - I just signed up to be part of Team Carol - who can resist a women who learns to be strong and wants to teach others how to be strong too?

I have just started lifting weights, so I'm trying to learn how to be stronger. I figure if I have some muscles, there wont be as much room left for the fat . I don't have any martial arts workout videos, so I'll head over to Amazon and see what they have. Anyone have any recommendations?

I'm a pretty regular exerciser, so should be able to contribute there. Not as great on the food.... love good food and wine way too much. So this is a work in progress....

Karen

Karen if you go to youtube, you will find all kinds of short videos that are free.
  • SweetPea_7
    SweetPea_7 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    HI all!! i just joined the challenge and I will catch up on th thread tonight... but wanted to throw in a quick HELLOO and say that i cant wait to start!!
  • FunkyGranolaTree
    FunkyGranolaTree Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Howdy all!!! I'm here bc of the really great chick above me!! I just joined and I am super pumped for this challenge! I am training for a race and totally struggling with my nutrition. This will totally kick my butt into shape!!! Can't wait to get to know you all!!
    - FGT
    :drinker:
  • SaraAlexandre
    Options
    Welcome guys! Love the graphics Hajenkat, love it...i may steal it for a profile pic. LOL!
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Ok now team. I need a bit of steering in the right direction. Can anyone simplify this process for me? I know exercise and watching the show and the teams. But still a bit confused. I have read everything. But I think I must have missed something.

I have tried Leslie Sansone videos last week and this week. I am finding them quite invigorating and feel so much more of work out. I am coming off a bad foot injury so Jacks and running are not in the near future. But I hope by the end of the month I will be up and going. I am quite large but finding the thinner me. So I am looking forward to this. I will try my best to make this team and winner!
  • kawookie
    Options
    @bebubble -
    This challenge seems to have 3 components : 1) eating within your calorie guidelines on average per week, 2) doing the required cardio (45 minutes of combat training exercise; 160 of your choice of cardio), and 3) doing the strength training requirements (90 minutes of weights).

The other stuff is how they determine a winning team. But I think in order to have the best chance of winning we need to be eating right and completing all the exercise components. Your Leslie videos should be a good way to get in a bunch of cardio minutes.

@ Someone smart

Help! I cannot figure out this macro thing. I did the math and it seems that I am supposed to be eating 35% protein, 45% fat and 25% carbs? This doesn't sound right? Or do I have to use the TDEE method to use macros? I'm not sure I want to switch to TDEE because this other system is working for me.
  • hajenkatt
    Options
    Welcome guys! Love the graphics Hajenkat, love it...i may steal it for a profile pic. LOL!

Glad you like them!! They were fun to do, and you are welcome to use it for a profile pic. Go Team Carol!!! Woot! I may have to make a few more before the challenge starts.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    @bebubble -
    This challenge seems to have 3 components : 1) eating within your calorie guidelines on average per week, 2) doing the required cardio (45 minutes of combat training exercise; 160 of your choice of cardio), and 3) doing the strength training requirements (90 minutes of weights).

The other stuff is how they determine a winning team. But I think in order to have the best chance of winning we need to be eating right and completing all the exercise components. Your Leslie videos should be a good way to get in a bunch of cardio minutes.

@ Someone smart

Help! I cannot figure out this macro thing. I did the math and it seems that I am supposed to be eating 35% protein, 45% fat and 25% carbs? This doesn't sound right? Or do I have to use the TDEE method to use macros? I'm not sure I want to switch to TDEE because this other system is working for me.
    Don't worry about it too much. Just get a ballpark figure.
    The rule of thumb is to get 1gram of protein per lean body mass and .35 grams per total body weight, I don't know your stats, but just get an online guesstimate of your lean body mass and go from there.

For example, say someone has 120lbs of lean body mass and is 150lbs and eats 2000 calories a day.
    Protein: 120g x 4 calories in 1 gram of protein = 480 calories divided by 2,000 (calorie target) = 24% - round up to 25%
    Fat: 0.35 x 150 = 53.5g x 9 calories in a gram of fat = 473 calories divided by 2,000 = 24% - round up to 25%
    Carbs: balance of 50%
    So this person has 25/25/50 macros.

Remember, protein and fats are minimums, so you don't worry about going over. That's another reason why the numbers don't have to be perfect. What matters is getting sufficient protein and healthy fats. :flowerforyou:

And, of course, setting your macros is just an option for this challenge. You won't get points for it, it's just something that is often worth looking at when it comes to your overall health.
  • kawookie
    Options
    @ Cindyinpg - I was setting my macros for being 5'10 and 205 pounds. Was using MFP for guidelines for what to eat so I was using 1450 calories as my "base" and the percentages seemed way outta whack.

I think this sounds like a good strategy for someone using the TDEE method or for someone closer to maintenance. I kinda like being able to eat back my exercise calories and I'm not sure you are supposed to do that on the TDEE method. I switched things this morning to losing 1.5 lbs a week ( MFP congratulated me by lowering my calories again. 1390 was the recommended to lose 2lbs a week and that I know from past experience is too low for me to be happy.) I am now set at 1640 which seems appropriate for all the exercise I'll be doing.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    @ Cindyinpg - I was setting my macros for being 5'10 and 205 pounds. Was using MFP for guidelines for what to eat so I was using 1450 calories as my "base" and the percentages seemed way outta whack.

I think this sounds like a good strategy for someone using the TDEE method or for someone closer to maintenance. I kinda like being able to eat back my exercise calories and I'm not sure you are supposed to do that on the TDEE method. I switched things this morning to losing 1.5 lbs a week ( MFP congratulated me by lowering my calories again. 1390 was the recommended to lose 2lbs a week and that I know from past experience is too low for me to be happy.) I am now set at 1640 which seems appropriate for all the exercise I'll be doing.
    Sounds like you're doing fine. I don't use TDEE either. Just keep doing what you're doing and just keep an eye on your protein and fat grams rather than percentages.