Talking Dead: Team Carol

Options

Replies

• FunkyGranolaTree
    FunkyGranolaTree Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure at this point that Mother Nature has it out for me. Snow day on Monday, snow day today.... UGH!!!!!!!!! Snow days used to be so much fun!! Now I am working from home and watching an endless stream of Peg + Cat and Jake and the Neverland Pirates. My kids (age 3.5 and 2.5) have such cabin fever!!!

My weekly session with my trainer this morning was a no go... So now.. Coruscate (April) will be helping me to put together some strength I can do at home.

The bigger problem.. I dont know how I am going to get my "long Run" in on Saturday. My roads here are very busy and not all that safe to run on. So i usually do my long runs on a bike trail...but there is no way all this snow and ice will be gone by then :(

I peeked at the scale this morning and I am happy to be down 3.5 pounds... but.... I have a terrible time with the "runchies" (that CRAZY uncontrollable hunger that develops when running a lot)... Now that I am home all day... and working at the kitchen table, I need someone to give me cement boots and put a lock on the fridge!!!
  • SaraAlexandre
    SaraAlexandre Posts: 1,313 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that Funky. How about doing an online video? Fitnessblender has tons of options and choices for fun workouts.

I hope you can get your run in. Stay strong with your hunger for your team. We need your strength to pull us through.
  • strive4more11
    strive4more11 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Sorry everyone! With my trainee at work and not having a computer at home (just my phone) I have seriously fallen behind in the forums! Sara already has my stuff, but just to keep me accountable-

My Goals:
    Lose 15 lbs
    Work on strength training and staying with in calorie goals every week, but also to eat healthier in general. Not just eating within my calorie goal!

Apparently Mother Nature found out about this challenge and is ensuring that I get my cardio done! We got about 10 inches of snow yesterday and this morning so I have been a shoveling fool! I feel like it should count for strength training as well, digging out that snow is killer!

Hope everyone's week is off to a good start!

Lara
  • SaraAlexandre
    Options
    I'm a about done with winter. We don't have snow but it's sure cold out. Spring is around the corner despite what that rodent says.

Day 3 mid week already. I'm on task and will walk and do my strength training this evening. I'm sore already in places that I'm not normally. Yay! Somehow I have a 2 huge bruises on my right leg. I'm not sure what I did, I'm getting clutsy and forgetful apparently.
  • kawookie
    kawookie Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I am having a rough week. I am still on task, but it is through willpower. (I have been telling myself working out is "stress relief").

My dad was rushed to the hospital with what we thought was a heart attack. It ended up being aortic dissection -- basically a number of serious tears in his aorta requiring emergency vascular surgery. He was in surgery from 8:45 pm yesterday until 4:45 this morning. He regained consciousness late this morning and was responding to requests -- unfortunately, the swelling caused his blood pressure to drop causing another trip to the OR to relieve the pressure. They decided to not close the wound but to wait 24-48 for the swelling to go down first.

I feel like I have spent my whole day on the phone responding to friends and family members who live far away and want updates. :ohwell:

Any prayers would be appreciated. I am back at work tomorrow so I need to go get some sleep.
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I am having a rough week. I am still on task, but it is through willpower. (I have been telling myself working out is "stress relief").

My dad was rushed to the hospital with what we thought was a heart attack. It ended up being aortic dissection -- basically a number of serious tears in his aorta requiring emergency vascular surgery. He was in surgery from 8:45 pm yesterday until 4:45 this morning. He regained consciousness late this morning and was responding to requests -- unfortunately, the swelling caused his blood pressure to drop causing another trip to the OR to relieve the pressure. They decided to not close the wound but to wait 24-48 for the swelling to go down first.

I feel like I have spent my whole day on the phone responding to friends and family members who live far away and want updates. :ohwell:

Any prayers would be appreciated. I am back at work tomorrow so I need to go get some sleep.

I am sorry to hear about your dad. He will be in our thoughts. It sounds like its not as serious as a heart attack. So that good, I hope! Hope next few days get much much better for you!
  • kawookie
    Options
    Actually, I have no idea if it is more or less serious than a heart attack. This is a rarer issue than a heart attack with symptoms of tearing and stabbing pain in your chest. Your aorta dissects and forges a new route (not to your heart) which causes more tearing. Without speedy discovery and treatment it is fatal (like a heart attack can be). It requires major open chest surgery where you have to be put on bypass.

Maybe the healing time is faster or the survival rate is better? I would say it is just as serious as a heart attack as the blood is still not going where it is supposed to go -- with the added twist of the potential for rupture. The good news is that this is rare 2-3 cases per 10,000 people.

Please don't think it is not serious just because it isn't a heart attack. I'm just glad that it is not super common as I hope none of you ever has a loved one that goes through this. It sucks.
  • simbersea
    simbersea Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    My thoughts and prayers are with your family. Hope everything works out. If you need to vent, we're here :smile:
  • sawjan
    sawjan Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Checking in
    Monday: 90 cardio + 45 karate
    Tuesday: 41 cardio + 45 karate + 40 strength training
    Wednesday: 46 cardio + 30 strength training (no karate cancelled d/t snow)
    Thursday: 70 cardio + 45 karate
    Friday:
    Saturday:
    Sunday: not included in the totals

Totals:
    Cardio: 247/210 :smile:
    Strength:70 /90
    Martial Arts: 135/180
    Average calorie intake (figured out on Saturday):
    weight loss for challenge: 0/9

Everyone seems to be doing great with the first week

Bebubble - congratulations on meeting your goal :drinker:

Kim - prayers to your dad and family. Remember to get rest, and take care of yourself :heart:

Janice
  • FunkyGranolaTree
    Options
    Monday: 30 cardio + 30 strength - due to weather it was an hour with the rebounder!!
    Tuesday: 65 cardio + 10 strength - 4+ miles on the treadmill and abs
    Wednesday: 30 strength - at home abs and arms
    Thursday: 50 Cardio - 3+ miles on the treadmill (should have been 4+ but ran out of time)
    Friday:
    Saturday:

Totals:
    Cardio: 145/210 :smile:
    Strength:70 /90
    Nutrition: 3 days under
    weight loss for challenge: 3.5/6.5

Kim - :heart:
  • SaraAlexandre
    Options
    Kim,

I'm very happy that your dad made it through his surgery. I have heard of this condition before but don't really know too much about it. It's very brave of you to check in with us and to keep up with your regular fitness goals. I can only pray that your dad has a speedy recovery. I know if it were in the past, I'm sure this would have been immediately fatal but since we are in the 21st century, thank God we are, your dad looks as if he is in very good hands. Please try and get lots of rest if you can and I will continue to pray for his continued health and that you and your family are supported. If you need to take any time out form this challenge, please let me know.

Janice, you are just doing awesome! FunkyGranola, you are kicking it as well.

Today I am again on task. I just need to get a 20 min walk in. Great job team!
  • strive4more11
    strive4more11 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Just checking in...

Totals:
    Cardio: 175/210
    Strength: 60 /90
    Nutrition: Under every day so far
    weight loss for challenge: 0/15 -- will weigh in on Saturday

Super excited for the weekend to get here so I can get some more exercising done! I also plan on letting Jillian Michaels yell at me for awhile tonight when I get off work :cry:

Kim- So sorry to hear about your father. I hope he has a speedy recovery. Thoughts and prayers with you and your family.
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    I have 70 min of cardio and strength so far today - going home in a few min to so at least another 30 min of cardio and maybe 5-10 min of strength. lol everything i would have done this morning if I hadnt had to stand in the cold for 1/2 an hour waiting for someone to unlock a door for me.
  • FunkyGranolaTree
    Options
    I need to come up with a way to step things up without killing legs. I have to be able to stick to the running regimen, but i need some ideas, especially on the strength portion... I have ZERO core strength and I REALLY need to get the wobble out of my arms!!

Thoughts? Ideas? Favorite workouts?? I WANNA FEEL BADASS!!! :drinker:
  • kawookie
    Options
    My update:

Weights: 58/90
    Cardio: 175/210

I'm in my calories every day so far. So it looks like I'm on track to be done by Saturday. :drinker:
  • SaraAlexandre
    Options
    I need to come up with a way to step things up without killing legs. I have to be able to stick to the running regimen, but i need some ideas, especially on the strength portion... I have ZERO core strength and I REALLY need to get the wobble out of my arms!!

Thoughts? Ideas? Favorite workouts?? I WANNA FEEL BADASS!!! :drinker:

push ups are great and old school.
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    HI there, not really in the challenge, not really, but thought you all would enjoy this...

twd-Carol-intro-500x497.jpg

Polite zombie out....
  • kawookie
    Options
    @funkygranola -
    To build core strength you might want to try pilates. Many of the videos I have are mostly mat work that focuses on your core without being high impact on your knees. I am currently using "Pilates for weight loss" and I like the way it focuses on form. So for beginners there is an introduction that shows each exercise and points out technique and then variety of options of working out (20-40 minutes usually). It also has intermediate and challenging exercise portions.

To deal with your arm jiggle you will want to do tricep kickbacks. As it is usually the back of the arms that "jiggle".

I like to do walking videos at home (they were less intimidating when I started out and now I just bump up the easier ones by using weights). There is a one mile walk on her "ultimate collection" that is great for the arms. It is walking while doing arm work. I use 3 pound weights and it hurts in a good way. She has many walks where she uses stretchy bands to work the arms and those also have helped me get more definition in my arms (I am beginning to have guns! :laugh: )

I hope that helps give you some ideas. :flowerforyou:
  • sawjan
    sawjan Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Checking in
    Monday: 90 cardio + 45 karate
    Tuesday: 41 cardio + 45 karate + 40 strength training
    Wednesday: 46 cardio + 30 strength training (no karate cancelled d/t snow)
    Thursday: 40 cardio + 30 strength training + 45 karate
    Friday: 35 cardio + 12 strength training
    Saturday:

Totals:
    Cardio: 252/210
    Strength:112 /90
    Martial Arts: 135/180
    Average calorie intake (figured out on Saturday):
    weight loss for challenge: 0/9

FunkyGranola - you are doing great!! I like doing variations of plank (elbows, hands) When you are on your hands you can bring your opposite knee towards your elbow - make sure you exhale as you bring your knee up. http://30dayfitnesschallenges.com/30-day-plank-challenge/#_ and http://www.phillymag.com/be-well-philly/2013/03/12/25-plank-variations-absolutely/ For arms push ups and variations of push ups, they not only help your chest but work your arms as well. I like doing one arm side push for your triceps http://exercise.about.com/od/exerciseworkouts/ss/tricepexercises_6.htm

Lara (Strive4more) - how was Jillian, did she yell at you? :laugh:

Sara - did you get your walk in?

TJ - you had to stand in the cold, was the person that was supposed to open the gym late? I go to a gym that is open 24 hours, you use your key fob to get in.

Kim - good suggestions! How is your Dad? Good job keeping on track!

Janice
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    TJ - you had to stand in the cold, was the person that was supposed to open the gym late? I go to a gym that is open 24 hours, you use your key fob to get in.

Janice - I wasnt waiting for a gym to open. lol I was cleaning an office building and went to put some trash in the dumpster and realized i left my keys in the building. I try really hard not to do that because the doors lock automatically. During the day when Im at my fulltime job there its not a problem because the front door is unlocked or someone can just push the back door open. But at 5am when Im cleaning twice a week, no one is around to open the door if I do something stupid.