Talking Dead: Team Carol

Options

Replies

• tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    So we have two MVP's this week, nice!!!

I think I need more ideas for heart healthy food - I cant eat fruits and nuts.
  • FunkyGranolaTree
    FunkyGranolaTree Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday Ladies!!!

I had to do some spying on the winning team... Gotta be prepared for what they are talking about for punishment.... they seemed to have zeroed in on the one thing that a lot of us hate..... BURPEES!!!!!!!!!!!! ACK!! They are so bad for my knee... squats are one of the things on my "no no list"

If this indeed is the punishment... anyone how it can be modified to not go against doctor's recommendation??
  • SaraAlexandre
    SaraAlexandre Posts: 1,313 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday Ladies!!!

I had to do some spying on the winning team... Gotta be prepared for what they are talking about for punishment.... they seemed to have zeroed in on the one thing that a lot of us hate..... BURPEES!!!!!!!!!!!! ACK!! They are so bad for my knee... squats are one of the things on my "no no list"

If this indeed is the punishment... anyone how it can be modified to not go against doctor's recommendation??

Oh, Lordy! Those evil girls. You can do walk out burpees. Basically you walk out one leg at a time but if that is too hard on the knees as well, you can sub an equally taxing exercise like plank jacks.
  • SaraAlexandre
    Options
    hey guys I just saw I made MVP in my other team I was on for the first week, but that doesn't mean I'm safe, Just means I want to be more motived this week. i'm going to push my self a little harder.

I also love apples and its funny because I'm having red bell peppers for dinner tonight, yum it worked out haha

@simbersea I do the boxing with my hubby as well, I aways lose but I give it my all lol.

I hope everyone has a good day. I'm off for lunch then going for a walk.

Also Congrts Simbersea for MVP

Congrats Skittles! You will be part of ours this week.
  • SaraAlexandre
    Options
    So we have two MVP's this week, nice!!!

I think I need more ideas for heart healthy food - I cant eat fruits and nuts.

Anything grown from nature is ok. Maybe try some red food that is not food colored. lol
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    So I went to the dr today after pilates and found out i have walking pneumonia. So i skipped my 2nd work out and filled my prescription. Tomorrow i should be back on track. I did alittle shopping while i was waiting and got red apples, cherry tomatoes and frozen strawberries to make a smoothie! Im ready to go once the meds kick in!

Do the burpees in my insanity class count or would it be extra?

*I'm not sure about the burpees yet. I would say they count if they fill the requirement. I will get back to you.-Sara
  • Skittles2183
    Skittles2183 Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    So I went to the dr today after pilates and found out i have walking pneumonia. So i skipped my 2nd work out and filled my prescription. Tomorrow i should be back on track. I did alittle shopping while i was waiting and got red apples, cherry tomatoes and frozen strawberries to make a smoothie! Im ready to go once the meds kick in!

Be careful with the walking pneumonia don't over do it to much because it could get worse, and I hope you feel better soon.

also I was going to have red peppers tonight for dinner but my hubby surprised me and took me out to dinner for a early V-day. but he told me I don't get my gift till friday lol ( I was never the one to make a big deal about vday haha ) but I did have tomatoes and I went to the store and got frozen strawberries as well to make a smoothie, great mines think a like Tinker :)

on a sad note I didn't get to go to zumba or my body pump classes tonight so i need to make them up.
  • sawjan
    sawjan Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Checking in
    Monday: 40 cardio + 45 strength training + 45 karate
    Tuesday:
    Wednesday:
    Thursday:
    Friday:
    Saturday:
    Sunday: not included in the totals

Totals:
    Cardio: 40/220
    Strength: 45/90
    Martial Arts: 45/180
    Average calorie intake (figured out on Saturday): 6/6
    Heart Healthy foods everyday: 1/7
    weight loss for challenge: 1/9
    Burpees: ?

*excellent start, I'm not sure about the burpee chores yet -Sara
  • kawookie
    kawookie Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Suggestions for heart healthy that aren't fruits/nuts:

Try making a breakfast scramble with onions, colored peppers, and sweet potatoes. We have also been known to add tomatoes, mushrooms or other veggies we have around. We usually serve this with one whole egg and one egg white.

My husband makes a great salmon dinner that is super easy to make:

2 salmon filets
    Juice of mandrin orange (or splash of OJ)
    1/4 Island soyaki (terriaki sauce from Trader joe's and it has some pineapple in it)

Place defrosted salmon in frying pan with its liquids. Add the soyaki and orange juice. Cook over medium-low to medium heat until salmon is flaky and mixture reduces. (You can pull the salmon early and reduce the sauce in the pan if the salmon cooks faster than the sauce.)

This serves 2 and works well with brown rice or mixed grain side dish (Minute Multigrain pilaf is great). Consider serving with a spinach salad for even more heart healthy foods :wink:
  • hajenkatt
    hajenkatt Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My NSV tonight: I "rediscovered" a fitness app on my iPad called BodyFitness. I downloaded it ages ago because it was free, and I thought it would give me good exercise ideas. Fastforward to tonight when I wanted to get some arm/shoulder work in for the challenge and lo and behold. This thing rocks!! The cool thing is it not only gives you a diagram of each exercise but gives you a moving example as well. If you guys need any inspiration for strength-training, I recommend giving this a peek. It has examples for dumbbells, barbells, and cables. Categories are Core, Lower Body, Chest, Shoulders, Back, Arms, and Cardio.

So my stats for today are
    - Cardio: 70 minutes
    - Strength-training (focusing on arms): 30 minutes

Barbell Row, Bent Over
    Arnold Press
    Dumbbell Cross Body Unilateral Extension
    Dumbbell Cuban Press
    Shoulder Shrugs
    Dumbbell Rotational Press

Watching the Olympics and getting my strength training in! What could be better?
  • SaraAlexandre
    Options

Be careful with the walking pneumonia don't over do it to much because it could get worse, and I hope you feel better soon.

also I was going to have red peppers tonight for dinner but my hubby surprised me and took me out to dinner for a early V-day. but he told me I don't get my gift till friday lol ( I was never the one to make a big deal about vday haha ) but I did have tomatoes and I went to the store and got frozen strawberries as well to make a smoothie, great mines think a like Tinker :)

on a sad note I didn't get to go to zumba or my body pump classes tonight so i need to make them up.

I agree with Skittles with the caution of making sure you are feeling well before you exercise Tinker. I'm having your red peppers for breakfast Skittles.(not with skittles candies) LOL! That is sweet that you had an early V day dinner with the hubs. I'm going to an Italian place that is local and that we love. I will meal plan with a lovely pana cotta for dessert. It has a nice berry compote on top. I also plan to get a vegetable filled dish and not a pasta filled dish. I'm excited because I get off work early that day too so I can put in a big work out before I go.

So far this week I'm on task with my planned week. Today will be harder to get in my yoga and long walk but I will try my best. I have a meeting today after work.

Hajenkatt, that's a great resource for exercises. Thanks for the idea.

Kim, I love salmon and that sounds like a recipe I will be trying! I usually eat eggs for breakfast daily. Great source of protein and adding fresh veggies is so yummy!
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    Every Tuesday my Kiwanis organization meets at the local mexican restaurant and we have our meeting and lunch. I always get the same thing - chicken breast, queso, tomato and light sour cream. So I know I have my tomatoes in for the day.

I also went grocery shopping yesterday and picked up some red peppers to put into dinners for the week.

Sometimes having a restricted diet and a finicky stomach doesnt allow for much variation and creativity in my meals.

I am going to try a crockpot turkey lasagna with eggplant instead of noodles later in the week. Might sneak some tomatoes or peppers, or both into it and see what happens.

Does chilie powder and bbq saucse count as heart healthy, cause if so I AM GOLDEN!!!! :bigsmile:
  • simbersea
    simbersea Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I wanted to contribute a great receipe that has lots of heart healthy vegetables - well its ALL heart healthy veggies :)

1 medium yam
    2 medium carrots
    1 medium zucchini
    1 medium summer squash
    1 medium red bell pepper
    1 medium yellow bell pepper
    1 lb fresh asparagus
    1 red onion, chopped
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    Directions:
    1 Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
    2 Peel and cut up Yam and carrots into bite size pieces.
    3 Add to large roasting pan. Toss with 1 tbl olive oil and pepper. Put in oven to roast for 10 minutes while you prep the remaining vegetables: zucchini, summer squash, red pepper, yellow pepper and asparagus.
    4 Add remaining vegetables to pan, add last tbl of olive oil, mix well and put back in the oven to continue roasting.
    5 Roast for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are lightly browned and tender.

This is a yummy way to get your veggies. Don't add salt until after cooking - if you add it before, the vegetables get a little mushy.

Also - get creative with your veggies - where I am, we don't get summer squash right now. But we have great grean beans, so I've added those. I've also thrown in cauliflower, red potatoes, butternut squash...whatever.

Ad finally - for a little extra flavor, you can sprinkle some balsamic vinegar on the veggies after cooking. Yum.

*that sounds just yummy! -Sara--
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Mika and Lizzie decided that our punishment exercises is 50 Burpees. You don't have to do them all at once, split them up over the week and include them in your totals when you send them to SaraAlexandre or you can't be credited for strength training this week.

Oh, and MVPs are always exempt from punishment, unless they want to do them and donate to a Burpee deprived teammate.
  • Skittles2183
    Options
    Mika and Lizzie decided that our punishment exercises is 50 Burpees. You don't have to do them all at once, split them up over the week and include them in your totals when you send them to SaraAlexandre or you can't be credited for strength training this week.

Oh, and MVPs are always exempt from punishment, unless they want to do them and donate to a Burpee deprived teammate.

So I was thinking and its only an idea but what if me and the other MVP try and do 25-30 of these for the week, that way it cuts every one off by 5 and they won't have to do all 50, only have to do 45? Its only an idea but if not I still want to try and do 30 to help the team.
  • simbersea
    simbersea Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I'm in :)

I found this online - its for those of us who have never done a burpee - and really don't know what one is :)
    This is from a bodybuilding website, so it talks about how to make it a full-on workout by including shadow boxing. So perhaps we can kill two birds with one workout?

First, let's get started by discussing the specifics of a Burpee. Burpees will condition your entire body. This exercise will develop strength, explosive power, and anaerobic endurance.

To perform a Burpee:

1.Begin in a squat position with hands on the floor in front of you.
    2.Kick your feet back to a pushup position*.
    3.Immediately return your feet to the squat position.
    4.Leap up as high as possible from the squat position.
    Repeat, moving as fast as possible. You should maintain a fast pace for this exercise. Strive for maximum height with each jump. Most athletes will average between 12 and 15 repetitions per 30 seconds.

* Notice how I highlighted Step 2. You can increase the intensity of the Burpee by altering this step. If you prefer the easy way out, you will maintain straight arms as you kick your feet back. You will end in the upright position of a pushup (arms fully extended). You would then continue by returning your feet to the squat position, and conclude with an explosive jump into the air. If you really want to crank up the intensity, you will…

Add A Pushup To The BurpeeThis "variation" is the ONLY way that I perform Burpees.

To perform a Burpee with a pushup:

1.Begin in a squat position with hands on the floor in front of you.
    2.Kick your feet back, while simultaneously lowering yourself into the bottom portion of a pushup. Your arms will not be extended.
    3.Immediately return your feet to the squat position, while simultaneously pushing "up" with your arms. You will perform a pushup as you return your feet to the squat position.
    4.Leap up as high as possible from the squat position. Repeat, moving as fast as possible.
    Not A Squat ThrustAt first glance, you may associate the Burpee with a traditional Squat Thrust. Squat Thrusts are typically performed without the vertical jump from Step 3. With a Squat Thrust, you simply "stand up" before returning to the squat position from Step 1. Squat Thrusts are much easier than explosive Burpees.

Burpee IntervalsBurpee Intervals are one of the best conditioning drills. These intervals consist of Burpees and shadow boxing. For example, you will perform:

■Burpees x 30 seconds
    ■Shadow box x 30 seconds
    ■Continue for 2 - 3 minutes
    You will begin with 30 seconds of Burpees, and immediately follow with 30 seconds of shadow boxing. Continue this pattern for a full 2 or 3-minute round. You will then rest 1 minute (or 30 seconds) between each round.

You can wear a wristwatch to monitor time. You can also determine the number of Burpees that you can perform per 30 seconds. For example, if you perform 15 Burpees in 30 seconds and throw 100 punches in 30 seconds, you will not need to keep track of time. Counting repetitions may be helpful if you train alone.

Shadow Boxing ReviewDo not view the 30-second shadow boxing interval as an opportunity to rest. You should throw hard punches for the duration of the 30-second interval. The purpose of this drill is to train the body to respond when fatigued.

"The purpose of this drill is to train the body to respond when fatigued."After a few rounds of Burpee Intervals, your body will be begging for a chance to collapse and rest. Fight through your exhaustion by throwing effective punches with proper technique.

Burpee Intervals are one of the best ways to nullify these words. Champion athletes learn to mask fatigue, and fight through exhaustion.

sample routinesBeginner Program

■4 x 2-minute rounds with 1 minute of rest between rounds
    Intermediate Program(s)

■6 x 2-minute rounds with 1 minute of rest between rounds
    ■4 x 3-minute rounds with 1 minute of rest between rounds
    Advanced Program

■6 x 3-minute rounds with 1 minute of rest between rounds
    Master's Program

■6 x 3-minute rounds with 30 seconds of rest between rounds
  • Skittles2183
    Options
    Great Sim thanks, so to help the team everyone only has to do 45 burpee's. I was able to get 6 in today and almost died haha

But I did have a good day and I got to have red bell peppers for dinner, strawberry smoothie for lunch and I did a little bit of walking backwards, I'll do a little each day ( the hubby thought I was nuts lol) Hope everyone has a good night
  • kawookie
    kawookie Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Okay, let's all agree that we will never be so mean as to assign burpees when Carol shows up and we whoop some *kitten*.

Planks - okay
    Pilates teasers - sure
    Yoga positions that twist you into an insane position -- fair enough

But burpees are just evil spirited! :devil:
  • sawjan
    sawjan Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Checking in
    Monday: 40 cardio + 45 strength training + 45 karate
    Tuesday: 50 cardio + 30 strength training + 45 karate
    Wednesday:
    Thursday: