Talking Dead: Team Beth

Options

Replies

• TiffytVS
    TiffytVS Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thank you, marieamethyst and kmoiregreen!! I could totally use some cardio minutes. I'm going to do some light walking to add to the minutes I have already, but if you have some to spare, I would really, really appreciate it. Once, that's done, I just need to worry about the wall squats, bleh. :grumble:
  • maphammonds
    maphammonds Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tiff!

Also - I'll have 15 xtra cardio minutes and 40 xtra strength minutes this week for you or anyone else that needs them.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Gambrell! I'm going to check it out next week. :)
    Thank you, marieamethyst and kmoiregreen!! I could totally use some cardio minutes. I'm going to do some light walking to add to the minutes I have already, but if you have some to spare, I would really, really appreciate it. Once, that's done, I just need to worry about the wall squats, bleh. :grumble:

I've got over 100 extra cardio this week, so take what you need! Hope you feel better soon, back pain is the worse. :(

Today and tomorrow I am being completely lazy except for some yoga to finish up the challenge. Bring on the coffee and books! I'm ready for my two days off. :laugh:
  • marieamethyst
    Options
    HI Everyone~

Let me share that this challenge has motivated me like nothing else before! Since I got out of the drinking and drugging scene, keeping weight off has always been a challenge. I've lost and found the same 15 pounds over and over. 4 years ago, I dropped over 25 pounds through a very expensive weight loss program - Slim4Life (similar to Atkins, but you gotta buy all their pricey supplements). But the moment I stopped the program, the pounds crept back on. With the birth of my granddaughter 3 years ago, I realized that I had become the frumpy old looking grandma type at just 41! My constant negative self image was impacting my youngest daughter, the only one of our five children still at home. Now she's 14 and all she sees in herself are the flaws. I realize now that I taught her how to look at herself that way. I'm hoping that the example I'm setting now will be a positive influence on her and that by making wise food choices and staying active (no dieting here!) she'll see that staying fit is a lifestyle change and not something just to be done when you're not happy with what you see in the mirror. I hope that my commitment to this challenge - being accountable to others - will display more than just 'working out', but that I said I'd do something, and I'm sticking with it.

This has really been a blessing for me; and you all are so generous in sharing this journey with me. Thanks for posting not only the highs you've had, but the lows and middle-of-the-roads, too!

Blessings to you,
    Patti

Great job, Patti! Kudos to you for leading by example. :flowerforyou: Those teenage years are hard on the self-esteem, but it sounds like she has a great inspiration in her mama!
  • Gambrell104
    Gambrell104 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Ok..Time to share something about myself. I have always sucked at stuff like this. Never been big on talking about my self.
    My name is Lisa. I'm 36 yrs old. I live in NC. Getting married in Oct. I have been overweight my entire life, I have NEVER lost as well as I have since I joined this challenge. Im kinda nervous about when it ends. Will I continue to do as well with out the accountability?
    We will see! I will def. try my best. I am raising my 2 nephews. I have had custody of them since they were small. Now they are loud mouth teenagers, but I wouldn't trade them for all the money in the world! My fiance and I have been together for 13 yrs and we are getting remarried Oct. 4th - yes....we were married before but we divorced. So like one of my closest friends said "We are gonna re-mix this *****!"

I have learned a lot about my self since starting this challenge. Like I am WAY more capable of things then I ever thought. I was so scared of Kickboxing class..now that is my all time fave!
  • marieamethyst
    Options
    Ok..Time to share something about myself. I have always sucked at stuff like this. Never been big on talking about my self.
    My name is Lisa. I'm 36 yrs old. I live in NC. Getting married in Oct. I have been overweight my entire life, I have NEVER lost as well as I have since I joined this challenge. Im kinda nervous about when it ends. Will I continue to do as well with out the accountability?
    We will see! I will def. try my best. I am raising my 2 nephews. I have had custody of them since they were small. Now they are loud mouth teenagers, but I wouldn't trade them for all the money in the world! My fiance and I have been together for 13 yrs and we are getting remarried Oct. 4th - yes....we were married before but we divorced. So like one of my closest friends said "We are gonna re-mix this *****!"

I have learned a lot about my self since starting this challenge. Like I am WAY more capable of things then I ever thought. I was so scared of Kickboxing class..now that is my all time fave!

Congrats on your remix! And it takes a special kind of person to raise someone else's children - kudos to you as well. :) I love how there are always challenges going on on this site, so it helps me stay motivated. I am going to feel a little lost when there are no more zombies to slay together though! Good job on trying something new as well that is outside of your comfort zone! (Kickboxing scared the fudge out of me before I tried it as well, haha!) :flowerforyou:
  • marieamethyst
    Options
    All right, my turn!

I'm Marie, 28, and crazy about my 9 month old if you already haven't figured that out. :laugh: My problem started in 2008. My college sweetheart and I divorced, I was injured in the military, and I ended up back at my parents' house while recovering. I was 118 when I left the service, in great shape and otherwise healthy except for the injury. I discovered how awesome beer was and made me feel around this time. I also got a stressful desk job with an insurance company handling claims. Drinking to deal with stress + not moving much over the course of several years led me to 165 lbs.

In 2010 I met my husband, and things became a whole lot less stressful... but by that time I was used to drinking most nights. It doesn't help that my husband also loves to drink, so we'd spend our nights gaming and downing beers. We ended up eloping in August 2012, and at the end of the month we found out I was pregnant, which changed everything completely. My daughter doesn't know how much she saved me by coming into my life, and I'm thankful every day for her. As soon as I got the positive result I stopped with the beer. The weight started coming off right away, and every time I went in for a prenatal check-up I had either lost weight, or maintained. I ended the pregnancy in May 2013 only 14 lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight. I wish I could say I stayed away from drinking afterwards, but at least it was nowhere near what it was before. And I started watching what I ate and exercising. When I went to see hubby graduate from Basic in September I was in the 150s and wore a size 10 dress (versus the size 14 I wore before pregnancy).

We thought I may have been pregnant again at Christmas (false alarm), but after the New Year my desire to drink just vanished. Completely, gone, poof! I was halfway through a glass of Moscato, and couldn't even finish it. I haven't had a drink since then, nor a desire to. I credit a lot of that with how much I have found that I enjoy exercising, and how much more effective it is with dealing with stress. This challenge has also been such a motivation, and seeing everyone progress is wonderful. You guys encourage me to keep going, through the sore muscles and when I want a bigger slice of cake! :laugh:

So thank you. :flowerforyou:
  • Gambrell104
    Options
    I just order the book New Rules of Lifting for Women.. Any Team Beth members using this?
  • TiffytVS
    Options
    Lisa and Marie, thank you so much for sharing your stories. I'm in awe of both of you and proud to be in the virtual company of such strong, inspiring women!

Marie, you're saving me! I need 100 minutes of cardio. If I could use your extra, my back and I would be forever grateful! And dang, great job doing all that extra! Enjoy an extremely well-deserved rest!

Lisa, I'm doing New Rules! I started at the beginning of the challenge and now I'm nearing the end of stage 1. I am most definitely seeing results although I'm convinced my current back pain is because I attempted to squat too much weight the other day. So be smarter than me about how much you lift. I can't wait to hear how you like it!
  • zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,901 Member
    Options
    Marie, good for you. If you read about me you will know I am in law enforcement. Alcohol ruins as many lives as drugs. I am so happy for your family. Ant that you chose your children over alcohol is saying so much more about you than anything else could. Congratulations on taking control back over your life. :drinker:

Shelley
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    Gambrell, do like I do, always be on the lookout for new challenges. And invite supportive friends along with you. I am starting "Pick Your Poison" tomorrow with some other friends I have here. We go from one challenge to another every week. Check it out.

You are to be commended for stepping up and caring for your nephews. My mother raised her granddaughter when my brother died. You deserve a big hug. Hugs for you. :flowerforyou:

Shelley
  • marieamethyst
    Options
    Tiffy: You got it! If you need more than what has also been donated let me know and I can do something tomorrow. :) Rock on with the weights when you can; I may have to ask you for tips in two months!

Shelley: Thank you! It's truly amazing how children can affect your life, and mine really did save mine. I went and read your story, and wow! I hate running with a passion, so to hear you run until you puked... you're a strong lady! And thank you for what you do for the public! I come from a family of military/law enforcement, so I have the utmost respect for those that serve. Truly an inspiration! :flowerforyou:
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    Thanks so much Marie. I puked because I, like you hated to run, and had no endurance. Then when I would get back to my vehicle I would have to sit there until my legs stopped cramping and pinging! The area was perfect. It was an asphalt path along a winding river. There were lots of trees, so I was well hidden. And it had half mile markers! Perfect. And at first I would puke before the first marker was even in view! Pathetic. I still would rather do any other cardio than run. Tae Bo! Yes. Mountain climbers, awesome.

I have never seen the New Rules for women book. But if it motivates you to lift, I say do it. I do have lots of other weight lifting books. And loads of magazines. But the only workout that truly works is the one you do. And I love any type of boot camp one's. You might like them also with your families roots! :drinker:

Well I better get back to my team before they count me awol.

Keep moving everyone!

Shelley
  • Gambrell104
    Options
    Gambrell, do like I do, always be on the lookout for new challenges. And invite supportive friends along with you. I am starting "Pick Your Poison" tomorrow with some other friends I have here. We go from one challenge to another every week. Check it out.

I will def do that!
  • kmoirecavender
    kmoirecavender Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think I am the elder here, lol...I will be 50 in April. I too, have struggled with my weight all my life. I have had periods of consistent healthy eating and exercise, and periods of the exact opposite. I have always had a strong interest in holistic healing and health, nutrition and fitness.

I am also engaged, haven't set a date yet. The man I am with, I was together with 20 something years ago. I was young and stupid and wasn't ready to settle down, so we parted ways...lo and behold we met back up around 2 years ago, and are once again together...all the more older and wiser.

Along with the fitness plan here on MVP, I am in the middle of reinventing myself. I am trying to work on the inner as much as the outer. I feel like they go hand in hand and necessary for balance. Most of this is coming through reestablishing faith.

This challenge has been great for me, as others have also voiced. MVP is fantastic, but am not sure if I would be as committed without this challenge. Hopefully, by the time it is over, a habit will have developed. If not, I will be on the lookout for new challenges also.

That's it!:heart:
  • Gambrell104
    Options

Along with the fitness plan here on MVP, I am in the middle of reinventing myself. I am trying to work on the inner as much as the outer. I feel like they go hand in hand and necessary for balance. Most of this is coming through reestablishing faith.

I could not agree more!!
  • TiffytVS
    Options
    Kmoiregreen, that is a romantic story! And congratulations again on your engagement! And I love that you are making this both an inner and outer journey--all the more reason why I believe you will be successful.
  • TiffytVS
    Options
    As for me, I'm Tiffany, 33, also getting married. My date is July 12th, 2014. I've always been someone who has admired the strength and discipline of athletes but has never had the motivation or ability to emulate it--at least not for a significant period of time.

As I've mentioned before, the wedding is really driving me to stick with a fitness plan this time. But what I've discovered during this process is that I'm really enjoying the opportunity to make myself and my health a priority. I work as a mental health therapist in a middle school classroom for emotionally disturbed youth. My kids are fun and hilarious and super challenging. I love my job, but I feel like so much of my energy both inside and outside of work hours is spent worrying about them, which i know is not at all healthy and a recipe for burnout. I notice when I make time to exercise and take care of my body, I start focusing on my needs instead and it feels really good. It also makes me a better therapist because I come to work ready and able to give my kids my full attention and energy.

Like a lot of you, I'm worried about what will happen to this new lifestyle once the challenge ends. But in the meantime, I'm extremely grateful to be part of this team! Go Team Beth!! :drinker:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Remember to check in! Don't forget that there's a great prize this week, the top four teams get to add a new character from the show, who will make them points for the rest of the challenge.
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    Well Team, you had a 5/7 check in. Not bad.

MVP for the week is Kmoiregreen with an impressive 430 min of cardio and 315 min of strength!!!! Hot Damn woman!!!!!

honorary mention goes to Marie who did an extra 100 min to share with a teammate - awesome teamwork!!!

Beth has been featured for tonights episode so lets hope she stops mooning over daryl (thats our job) and starts killing!!!!!