Daily Check In

Options

Replies

• Peppah7
    Peppah7 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yes! lets keep this going!

I am facing the week here at my desk. Faithfully sticking to my eating / activity plan. I am up & down, but a bit of an overall downward trend, yay! Nothing too exciting, staying very committed...

I made it in the pool this weekend, very refreshing. Did some laps, arms only, then legs only. Very tough bootcamp class on Sat., but missed my usual Sunday walk. Was trying to capture a stray cat that I feed, and had spayed as a kitten. She Is not looking well & I'm quite concerned. No success yet, she's onto me!

Healthy meal on deck for tonight's dinner after class.. still chugging away, staying on track. Just gotta be patient, right?

Canadjineh, how was your party? Was you hair color a success? Sounds lovely!

Hugs to you all. What's up? :smile:
  • josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Sorry ladies, have been startled by the beginning of the summer holidays and the need to make a bit of extra money quickly as I have an unexpected and entirely necessary bill that is looming and no spare pennies that I want to pay it with. Think I have it sorted but it is taking up extra time to sort. Hate that feeling but don't want to get into a hole with it so this way is more satisfying.

Anyway, having faffed about for 3 weeks with 3lbs going variously on and off, sometimes singly and sometimes as a whole, I seem to be back on the downward trend despite not really being as conscientious as I was before. I think on some level it has become the way I eat and the way I live now, but I am hoping a refocus will make more of downward surge so that's my plan.

You all seem to be doing very well, and I'm happy to hear of all these successes, new hair colours, partying and holidays. Very uplifting all round.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options

Canadjineh, how was your party? Was you hair color a success? Sounds lovely!

Hugs to you all. What's up? :smile:

Party was lots of fun - we had the threat of a sprinkle of rain but it managed to hold off. I expected there would be stuff like meat & cheese platter there so I planned my carb lite/fat heavy meal for that evening and took zucchini coins raw with homemade guacamole, and a 11% fat yogourt Moroccan Mint & Beet dip that I made. Turns out there was no cheese or cold meat plate, lol. There was homemade chili & rice, and assorted salads I couldn't eat due to being gluten free and not being sure of ingredients. Another GF'er brought homemade Caesar Salad which I had a good helping of. I forgot that a few of the gals that came were on Weight Watchers so there was a bunch of stuff they could eat that didn't fit with my evening meal plan, like lots of fresh fruit and carrot salad, etc. Things worked out in the end, though I was a little higher in carbs that evening than hoped for (thanks to a little helping of chili & rice).

Hair colour was a bit of a surprise as it wasn't exactly like the picture on the box, hahaha. It was supposed to be 'golden blonde' and was quite a bit darker reddish than expected - I'm more of a strawberry blonde with lighter highlites now. That's OK - hair grows and I've never been freaked about anything that happens to mine - change is a good thing, lol. I'd much rather pay $13.00 than $130.00, though my hairdresser got me through a big colour transition in a hair-healthy way. From dark burgundy red to blonde isn't a good one-step process as he said a couple of months ago. So I decided to bite the bullet and pay for his expertise during the transition.
  • jreneecal
    jreneecal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm still here...have been logging my food, but doing virtually no exercise. Its hot and I don't feel like doing anything when I get home. Trying to get re-motivated. Hope everyone else is doing well.
  • raleighgoodwins
    raleighgoodwins Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This is a bit rambling so I apologize.

I need to decide if I'm going to continue on this rollercoaster of trying to lose weight (for the past few years I've been gaining and losing the same 12 lbs) or if I'm just going to try to maintain and accept the fact that now that I am over 50 I will likely never lose those additional 20 lbs that my doctor has recommended (that's 20 lbs AFTER the 12 lbs that I have been losing and regaining).

I feel like I need to make some kind of decision here for 2 reasons: 1) my own sanity; I'm driving myself nuts by losing weight and then regaining it and beating myself up about it; and 2) I'm desperate for some new clothes but don't want to invest if I'm going to keep losing weight (which I have not been able to achieve).

This has been going on since about 2010 or whenever it was that I became a member of MFP. Actually probably longer because before that I did WW (which worked for me before I developed Type 2 diabetes at age 40 but not afterward).

Any ideas or suggestions?
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    raleighgoodwins-I find I need to take a break from tracking food once and a while. Sometimes for a few days, or sometimes longer. I never stray from the healthy eating habits. I have maintained at about 10 pounds over my goal weight more more than a year like this. I have a range I am happy in and as long as I stay within it, my clothes all fit. I did figure I was never going to be down to 140 like I was before menopause, so I did spring for a nice new wardrobe. The new clothes really helped make a new me who is happier with herself then ever before. When I am happy with myself I don't tend to binge therefore maintaining the weight. A big, happy circle.
  • Peppah7
    Peppah7 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi Raleigh,
    I totally understand about beating yourself up about regaining & driving yourself nuts. I hate to see you give up especially with your diabetes. I have punished myself by not allowing myself to buy any "big" clothes. So I feel even worse about myself in outdated tight clothes, sigh... but I refuse to give in.
    I am envious of your ticker, looks like some progress!!
    I have a friend who has tried everything for years & has finally had success now following a new way of thinking.. Diets are Fattening. There is a webpage blog, Facebook page & a book I think. I have liked the Facebook page & get the feed. It is interesting. My friend says she has let go of all her "dieting", has remained mindful & has learned to listen to her body. Now that nothing is "off limits" she has fewer cravings, etc. I don't know, may be worth a try: http://dietsarefattening.com/blog/. I'm intrigued, but its kind of a scary thought.

Also make sure you're getting enough vitamin D, as deficiency may impede weight loss & of course lots of water. Not sure if I am one to be making suggestions, but I do hope to encourage!

This is what I am leaning toward lately & also trying not to be impatient about results. Slow progress tends to be more permanent!

Please don't apologize, we are her for you!!!
    :heart: Karen
  • sprintto50
    Options
    Peppah7-II so agree with the concept of not dieting. I think of calories like my allowance for the day to be spent how I would like.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    This is a bit rambling so I apologize.

I need to decide if I'm going to continue on this rollercoaster of trying to lose weight (for the past few years I've been gaining and losing the same 12 lbs) or if I'm just going to try to maintain and accept the fact that now that I am over 50 I will likely never lose those additional 20 lbs that my doctor has recommended (that's 20 lbs AFTER the 12 lbs that I have been losing and regaining).

I feel like I need to make some kind of decision here for 2 reasons: 1) my own sanity; I'm driving myself nuts by losing weight and then regaining it and beating myself up about it; and 2) I'm desperate for some new clothes but don't want to invest if I'm going to keep losing weight (which I have not been able to achieve).

This has been going on since about 2010 or whenever it was that I became a member of MFP. Actually probably longer because before that I did WW (which worked for me before I developed Type 2 diabetes at age 40 but not afterward).

Any ideas or suggestions?

Check with your endocrinologist but you may need a lower carb type diet to help your diabetes and insulin resistance. Just a suggestion, as that is how I lost my weight (and some other friends with Diabetes Type 2 have done so and lowered or come off meds) and although in maintenance I still stay between 100-150g carb/day not even counting my subtraction for fibre grams. WW can allow a person to 'cheat' their body with crap foods (pardon my bluntness) while still staying within points, just saying so because a few WW'ers have told me that is their problem. Have you figured out what is causing your regains?
  • screwmenopause
    screwmenopause Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    ITS A MANIC MONDAY!
    hello gals! sorry I have been MIA. We moved - and sooooooooooo much packing and organizing - ugh. Plus, we are building a house and taking care of those details at the same time kept me busy busy busy. however, I was tracking my foodies :) and trying to remain (fairly) good.
    JOSPARKLE - thank you for the email - that was so sweet. I missed you gals! But now I am back and hummin' along!
    SPRINTTO50 - I agree - "breaks" form tracking help - they actually help to keep me "on track" for the long haul. A way of life :)
    CANADAJINEH - Oh yeah! Margs and chips and salsa do it for me too! But over the weekend w family in town it was wine and chips/salas. Now I need to sweat off the excess carbs!
    JRENEECAL - happy belated birthday! :flowerforyou:
    PEPPAH7 - WTG on staying committed. It does take a lot of focus :happy:
    RALEIGHGOODWILL - welcome! (a tad late I know - lol) It's the journey. No one ever said menopause would be easy - unless of course it was a man :laugh: :laugh: It is tough when the body doesn't want to do what the mind and heart want. but it WILL come. For all the ups there WILL be downs if you stay focused - say it...."screw menopause!". YOU can do it girlie!
    Today - had a nice sweaty boot camp-ish workout this morning. Family visiting leaves today. More unpacking to do - and help my girls organize their new rooms. That's all for now....
    MAKE IT A GREAT DAY! IT'S THE ONLY MONDAY YOU'LL HAVE THIS WEEK! :love: :love:
    jill
  • canadjineh
    Options
    AAARGH! Today is not quite going as planned... I got waylaid because one of my big planters decided to take a dive off my deck balcony and crashed onto the ground (I didn't hear it so sometime late last night or early this morning) and broke all over, chopping my geranium flowers off and several of my cute little vines with the purple flowers. Dad managed to find another planter that will work -doesn't exactly match but at this point in the summer, WHATEVER! So replanted that and grieved for the flower compost on the grass. Laundry, and internet bill paying for dad, and a bit of browsing for a new Caddy (my dad's car of choice) on the web and here I am 3 hours behind my planned schedule. I still have to get my Avon clients their stuff and replace the brochures at the Curves in the neighbouring town. At least I am off work today and don't go to work til 8:30 pm tomorrow, so some things will still get done. OK, now must turn off computer!! :tongue:

Screwmenopause: Moving AND building, Yuk! lol
  • josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You ladies are all so busy, I wonder how you find time to eat and exercise.

@Screwmenopause - you are forgiven, and I hope you are making sense of your move. I'm still find things to unpack 7 years later!

Pesky bill money has been sourced and bill will be paid tomorrow, and direct debit in place so it cannot happen again, which is a huge relief and weight of my mind (if nowhere else much). Less warm this week so have managed to do a bit more walking with reluctant dog (he is black and the wrong colour for hot sun), however I have a very heavy TOM that has been going on for days and shows no sign of abating so I feel blobby and a bit anaemic; great combination.

Managing to stick to calorie goal but stopped logging for a few days as just too busy, but have mentally done it and as I've not put any weight on then I must be at maintenance at least. My plan is to feel better and then start all over again - it will be 100 days in two days time, seems like a good time for renewed commitment. And Yes, I know that I'm prevaricating by not starting now!
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Apparently my DH saw the neighbour cat somehow knock the planter off the balcony and it freaked the life out of the cat - just a young cat so hopefully he will learn his lesson and figure out he is not welcome on our balcony. I don't mind if cats travel through the yard to get to the field behind our house for a bit of mouse hunting, but don't invite yourself up on our deck, thank you very much.
  • screwmenopause
    Options
    Its TUESDAY! yawho!
    nice run this morning - 6 miles - ran 90% and walked 10%. felt great. took my DD to lunch today and shopped a bit - a fun day.
    JOSPARKLE - yikes! I feel like I will be in the same boat 7 years from now -lol.
    just wanted to check in quick - off to show a couple houses (realtor here :) )
    tata for now!
    Jill
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Hi gals, worked last night and again tonight, so my 'day' runs from Noon when I wake up until 4 am, when I go beddy-bye. Makes for a bit of a confused eating day. Breakfast is lunch with my DH (he's home early from work) and then lunch is at dinner with him, and a middle sized protein sort of snack at midnight or 1 am.
    We set the tent up in the yard yesterday to measure it out, but it's too big to fit on the camping site along with our car at the music festival we are going to, just by a foot, but that means that we can't take the newer 'cabin' style tent now. We'll have to go back to our old backpacker dome tent - :grumble: we are getting too old to crawl around in a tent and would like to stand up once in a while, lol. At least it will fit on site and give us a bit of room to have a mini roll-up table and a couple of chairs for a relaxing breakfast/lunch. Looking forward to this but there will be a bit of alcohol involved (although not overdone - that's not our style) and possibly some crazy eating that isn't exactly on my maintenance plan :drinker: . I am going to try to stay as 'clean' as possible - I have to watch out for gluten anyhow, so I think we'll be doing a lot of salads from the grocery deli after making the rounds of town on the shuttle before all the shows. I will be dancing like a maniac for hours every night so I will definitely burn the calories, heheheh; it's EDM DJ's and Bands for three nights from 5pm to 3am.
  • screwmenopause
    Options
    THURSDAY - where has the week gone!?? this week has flown by - maybe because all of the unpacking, organizing, house stuff that has been taking place.
    Had a good run this morning at a park w a small lake - went around the lake three times - it was very "naturey". :happy:
    Went a bit over (way over) on the food yesterday - it was the dang wine and the wheat thins I chased it with that did it! ugh. I logged everything and after I hit "complete" - it said "in 5 weeks" I would have gained 3 pounds. yikes! sure puts it in perspective.
    I need to regroup and move through my current plateau.
    off to do a little more work....
    jill
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Wow, it's Wednesday already, where is everybody, lol??
    Back from my amazingly dusty, loud, and sleepless music festival weekend. No actual salads were consumed during the weekend although I kind of thought we would. There were lots of cut up fresh veg that last ok in the heat, but dipped into Garlic & chive cream cheese; lots of pepperoni and green olives and tequila with fruit juices were also consumed. That and salted caramel Chapman's Ice Cream (seriously, the best in the west, lol) At least I did up a brown rice and lentil room temp dish with cooked carrots & onions in it - which we had for dinner one night, and a quinoa with greek salad veggies and dressing dish that we had another night. Anywhooo, I only gained 2 lbs over the long weekend, and it's coming off now as I buckle down to be a bit more strict with my maintenance plan.
    I did a lot of dancing, and realized I can no longer function well on 3 hours of sleep a 'night' like I did 30 years ago.
    Hope everything is going well with the rest of the gals here!
  • sprintto50
    Options
    I survived a 4 day family reunion held in rustic, but lovely cabins on a small lake. Ate all sorts of desserts and stuff, but never sat down. Stayed the same weight over the period, which is all I can ask. It was a fabulous time with my parents and their spouses (divorced but friends) and my siblings and their spouses and children. The weather was idyllic for a change, too. Back to it. My goal is to lose 5 pounds by my doctor's appointment at the end of October.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Sprint! I love your Pokey & Gumby pic.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Hi gals... Festival poundage has come off, actually a bit too much, now below goal by 1 1/2 lbs so I'd better bump up my food. I always thought night shift added pounds but maybe not in my case?