Daily Check In

Options

Replies

• sabebaby
    sabebaby Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, I am new to this group I started menopause last year and have watched my weight climb over the last year
    and I have had enough! I am taking my body back!! I am 51 and have never been so challenged with my weight! My last year has consisted of taking care of a mother in law dying of cancer she passed away in April so not its time for me!! add menopause into the mix and its been a nightmare lol, I have started with mfp again and am ready, however in two weeks we are taking a much needed vacation on a cruise and I am worried I will pack on more weight ugh. Please tell me its possible to get this weight off
    after menopause no matter what I do the scale will barely budge, in the past I could watch my weight and exercise and it would fall
    off now I do the same thing and the scale barely moves any help appreciated on how to get this off thanks:smile:
  • sab1157
    sab1157 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Checking in on this beautiful, but warm, day. Starting my weekend with a nice walk to and from the gym, with a 30 minute gym workout. I am very happy that I logged all of my food and drink yesterday. First time in months. Hoping to keep that going.

Everyone have a wonderful Friday.
  • jreneecal
    jreneecal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    sabebaby: Well I know I used to be the same once upon a time I could take off a couple of extra lbs. easily. Now I have to stay focused and committed but if I eat right and keep moving eventually the lbs do come off. In my case it takes a lot more dedication to eating right than it used to. Joined about a year ago and lost almost 20lbs then I let things get in the way, stopped checking and logging and gained most of the weight back. Came back from a short vacation where I knew I gained more lbs, back over the weight I said I'd never go over again. I decided I needed to get back on track came back to MPF and have begun losing again. Need more commitment than I ever have before or do I just need to be committed (ha,ha).
    Today's goal: keep eating healthy and rack up more steps.
    Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Nillalis
    Nillalis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Wow, I just looked back on my last post and I must have been on something with all that bad spelling!!!
    Yesterday I did an hour of zumba and walked 3 miles, and my food went well. And now we start another day. It seems no matter how much I eat MFP still tells me I am eating to few calories. I have not seen te scales move in weeks!

to jollyquilter

Not sure how much you know about MFP calories BMR and eating to little and how exercise counts but I'm gonna write this to all so will write as if was telling one that was new to dieting.

to start with if you stay in bed all day and do absolutely nothing else your organs still need energy to keep you alive. for the body to take from your fat to keep your heart ticking and all your other organs working is not healthy and this is why eating to little could really mess your metabolism up. The amount of calories your body needs to do this job is called BMR, basic metabolic rate, and there are lost of different calculators for this on the net. try a few different ones and set yours to the golden middle. this amount of calories you should never eat below.

MFP will ignore BMR and will set calories to what its users want , so if you are having like 100+ pounds to loose and set it i want to loose 4 pounds a week you are likely to be told to eat below your BMR.

Now MFP thinks you should eat back all your calories that you burn exercising and its possible to loose weight that way but could easily make you not loose at all. MFP estimates burned calories a bit high in many different exercises so lets say i walk and burn according to MFP 500 calories but in reality it was 350 that i burned then if i ate it all back i actually ate 150 calories to much.

Now according to most fitness trainer you don't have to eat all kind of exercise back.
    --low intensity (you can sing while doing this) you do not have to eat back at all no matter how much you burn its ok to only eat your BMR that day
    medium intensity (you can't be singing but you can say a full sentence) calories burned this way you should eat some back but you --do not have to eat all of the burned amount back. eat BMR + some
    --High intensity (its hard to talk) here trainers say your body needs to eat all of it back and if you don't want to loose muscle mass its important to eat enough protein. most trainers say enough protein is 2 grams /kilo you weigh. so if your 70 kilo you should eat 140 grams of protein/day if you do loads of exercise. so eat BMR + all you burned

now about macros.

protein all of us needs it and whats safe there is different opinions about but as far as i have found you should never eat less than 0.5 grams/kilo body weight. Personally i eat 2 grams if i do lots of exercise and never below 1 gram even if i sit still as protein keeps my hunger away.

fat there are lots of different diets some with low fat some with high but almost all doctors agree that eating to little fat is more dangerous than eating to much and the number i been able to find here is that women should eat at least 30 grams of fat every day.

Carbohydrates. this is a really talked about macro so i won't bother to say more but that the amount of carbs you eat is your own preference as long as the fat and protein is at safe levels.

feel free to ask for help calculating your needs in a message to me or ask any thing you like. I'm not a professional in dieting but i sure have read a lot about it.

Lis
  • screwmenopause
    screwmenopause Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    and I have had enough! I am taking my body back!! I am 51 and have never been so challenged with my weight! in the past I could watch my weight and exercise and it would fall off now I do the same thing and the scale barely moves any help appreciated on how to get this off thanks:smile:
    WELCOME! :heart: sorry to hear about your mother in law - death is an awful thing to deal with. my dad pasted away last September - loved him bunches!
    "taking your body back" - LOVE IT!!! you CAN do it.
    life and a body after menopause?? YES YES AND YES! me...54 and for the past 2 years I have slacked off a bit. always worded out but never cut back on my eats. tried this diet and that diet - never stuck to it. never wanted to "count calores" - always knew "calories in calories out" blah blah blah ( I thought) BUT, here I am and thank goodness! I never knew counting calories could be so easy and not that painful. I think for me it's the tracking of "calories burned" when I exercise that is motivating. I know if I create a deficeit each day w calories I will lose. my past 9 days at MFP....I tracked EVERYTHING, exercised..... I have lost 8 pounds and I feel awesome. YOU CAN DO IT TOO! we r here for ya sister!:flowerforyou:
    jill
  • screwmenopause
    Options
    to start with if you stay in bed all day and do absolutely nothing else your organs still need energy to keep you alive. for the body to take from your fat to keep your heart ticking and all your other organs working is not healthy and this is why eating to little could really mess your metabolism up. The amount of calories your body needs to do this job is called BMR, basic metabolic rate, and there are lost of different calculators for this on the net. try a few different ones and set yours to the golden middle. this amount of calories you should never eat below.

thanks for all of the great info Lis! my little brain keeps it simple :) calories in calories out and if I don't "eat my exercise" I will lose. I have found too, that if I keep my carbs at 100g or less, it really helps with "water weight". thanks again!
    jill
  • Nillalis
    Options
    agree with you jill i also eat about 100 grams of carbs/ day just feel better if not eating to many of them and it also curbs my cravings staying lowish on carbs
  • screwmenopause
    Options
    MY FRIDAY... TGIF!!
    did two shots of 1 hour walking. feelin' groovy :happy: lunch with my DD shortly. kale salad to be on the books. maybe a walk this evening too - it's a beautiful sunny day in MI so I need to take advantage of it. need to go into the holiday weekend with a strong mindset and conquer it!
    HAVE A FANTASTIC FRIDAY GALS!
    jill
  • lisele03
    lisele03 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    did two shots of 1 hour walking. feelin' groovy :happy:

...2 walks and it's only 9 a.m.! (in Oregon..:laugh: ) I'm impressed with your plan! I've already walked and planned my meals today as well. I even took my measurements and am happy to report 3" off my hips and 5" off my waist since March 20! Yay! I'm on a roll!! (no butter)
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I went for a 6 km walk today, despite the drizzle. Have watched my salt intake (and night snacking) and the scale has rocketed down 5 pounds in total in two days. No wonder I was feeling bloated. I am going to a wedding BBQ tonight and pledge to keep my calories under maintenance. Tomorrow is the wedding with a promised prime rib dinner. Not one of my favourites so it should be easy for me to give DH part of the slab. Have a great weekend, and long weekend for my American friends.
  • deetee6718
    deetee6718 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Love this thread and hearing the successes! Walked to and from the gym today plus 45 min of lifting! Gorgeous day, having protein shake and coffee on the deck, agree we have to take advantage of these beautiful days. Having lunch with my brother and plan to fit another walk in this evening. I have really upped my exercise/walking this week and am not eating my exercise calories and am down 2 lbs! Haven't seen the scale move in that direction for a long time. That's all I ask for, slow and steady! Have a great weekend everyone!
  • sabebaby
    sabebaby Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! Went for a walk at lunch with the girls from the office I have always done this diet and that like you said
    however this time I am counting calories and going to move more and YES WE CAN DO THIS!!!:smile:
  • WorkingonmeAliG
    WorkingonmeAliG Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone!
    Lis, thanks for the in depth info about calorie intake. I need to brush up on all my education. Your information is so good and will help a lot!
    I did a 45 minute walk/jog then did a 30 minute les mills pump video. I've been out in the garden and will be heading back there in a bit.
    I am so grateful for this group! I am not throwing in my 2 cents much but want you all to know I am reading your posts and cheering you on.

As for my personal stuff. I have decided I need to avoid the scale. I haven't seen the weight I am at for a long time and feel like the bounce up and down is detrimental to me, psychologically. I am committing to going back to weighing in on Monday mornings again, and leave the scale alone the rest of the week.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Since I am back on night shift, this is my morning so GOOD MORNING LADIES!!! As usual, I am inspired by your posts! My only mini goal today is to make it through my 12 hour shift tonight and stay within my calorie allotment (and do it as healthy as possible)! I really do consume too much coffee when I work nights, but I get so little sleep that coffee is all that keeps me going. Its definitely a challenge not to head for the vending machines and grab a candy bar when the lows hit at 2 am!
    Hope you all had a wonderful day!
  • deetee6718
    deetee6718 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I totally get the scale issue and it can be my best friend or worst enemy and too many times I have let it determine my mood! No more, at this age I am trying to let go of that number but I admit it is a challenge especially as I have dieted since my teens. Right now I'm focusing on my body and seeing some muscle definition and appreciating how far it has taken me in 54 years.
  • jreneecal
    jreneecal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Did pretty good today, hope to do better this weekend. Should be running off a few calories trying to keep up with the grandkids. Will check in but want to say HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!
  • Nillalis
    Options
    yesterday became a turn every thing upside down and change your plans day. My daughter and i was gonna move (thursday) out of this apartment we been in the last 2 months, i was going home and my daughter was gonna move in with a friend.

So yesterday my daughter found out about a event that her friends back home are having and wanted to attend do plans changed to move out sunday and we both go to Stockholm monday and then she goes back the next day.

So panic fast we had to do what we had 6 days to do in 2 days. did lots yesterday and some more this morning but now we both need to go to a show that her school is arranging. then we have evening and tomorrow middle of day i will go get the moving minivan we rented. I'm so happy my daughter so far haven't got a full household to move as she's a student and been renting furnished places.

have a nice day all

Lis
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Sorry gals, gonna dump on you here... I am the only surviving child (my brother died with a rare autoimmune disease just over a year ago at 46) and my parents live just a few places down from us. Yesterday I had to take my dad to the ophthalmologist for a bit of laser surgery - nothing serious just a 'touch up' to help his vision. He told me the day before mum had been looking for some medication the doc had given her - just OTC - nothing serious either - and when she couldn't find it, dad helped her look. He figured she was out, because the doc gave it to her a while ago and she uses it occasionally. She did not believe him at all and he said she gave him this look he had never seen before and it made him cry - she is getting dementia and is at that stage where she is suspicious of everyone... 'they' are trying to take her money, 'they' are hiding her meds, 'people' are sneaking in at night (she has to get up & test all the doors & windows), etc. She has been diagnosed with Bipolar disorder many years ago and has medications for that, which kind of just level her out, she sleeps a lot during the day and doesn't want to leave the house at all. About the only time on a good day - she will go on to the patio and watch the hummingbirds at the feeder and sit in the patio chair with a coffee or juice. Once a month she HAS to go out to the doctor for a checkup and refill of medications, which she hates to do, and I will have lunch out with them. She also isn't doing very well with self care - she knows she needs to take a shower, or cut her nails, or wash her hair, but just can't actually move herself to do so, and gets defensive and upset when we offer to help. She hasn't done any of the cooking, or cleaning, or laundry for a few years and she panics when she has to use the phone because she forgets how, I don't even know if she can read and understand printed words anymore. She is aware enough to know what is happening here but powerless to do much about it. As are we... Not sure where to go from here. Some days Dad & I talk about looking at senior apartments with light care facilities, and other days things seem to be not too bad and so we are stuck and haven't quite decided what to do next. My aunt (mum's sister) had depression and dementia with Lewy bodies, and her brother (my uncle) has Parkinson's - a somewhat related neurological disease. I think mum has the same kind of dementia (from her specific symptoms) but I don't know how to approach their doctor due to the Privacy Act (he cannot give out information on them) but I don't think he realizes how bad things have gotten. You know how it is - dad has to watch how he words things when mum is with him at the doc's and I'm pretty sure she doesn't tell the doc what is happening to her either. He did do a bit of a test for dementia, but that was on a good day and she did OK. So, here I am... tears are running down my face and I don't know what to do next.

Apologies for this long, rambling post, but I needed to get this out - not waiting for replies necessarily, just getting it off my chest as a sort of electronic journaling. Although, if anyone has been through this or something similar, and has some ideas... that would be great.
  • screwmenopause
    Options
    [/quote]
    I even took my measurements and am happy to report 3" off my hips and 5" off my waist since March 20! Yay! I'm on a roll!! (no butter)
    [/quote]

AWESOME!!!!!
  • Nillalis
    Options
    I feel for you. I took care of My father in law his last 2 years. He died at age 91 from end stage Alzheimer's.

There are two things I think that could help a bit. Write a letter to the doctor and drop it of at the clinic. Describe how offended your mother gets if you or your father speaks up when at a visit and this is reason you write the letter. Tell how it is tell that you two are close to giving up. Ask for help. Ask if you can get in home help at least once a wek with the hygiene. Then see what happens.

Second thing is to call hospice and see what they suggest you do for in home help. They won't help unless the patient is close to dying but they might have ideas who to ask for help.

It's about 15 years since my father in law died so things might have changed but it's worth I try.

Hugs to you. Hope you get some help.