Daily Check In

Options

Replies

• screwmenopause
    screwmenopause Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    .....eating my exercise calories and am down 2 lbs! Haven't seen the scale move in that direction for a long time. That's all I ask for, slow and steady! Have a great weekend everyone!

LOVE IT! it feels so good... congrats!
  • screwmenopause
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! Went for a walk at lunch with the girls from the office I have always done this diet and that like you said
    however this time I am counting calories and going to move more and YES WE CAN DO THIS!!!:smile:
    agreed! :smile: :smile:
  • deetee6718
    deetee6718 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    @Canadjineh - so sorry to hear what you are going through. My very close friend is currently dealing with similar issues but her mom lives alone and they had to disconnect her stove so she wouldn't cook and told her it was broke. Afraid to leave her alone but have no choice. This was an amazing lady,classy,full of life and dementia has taken that all from her and her family, so sad! After 3 yrs they are finally getting her into a care home. I have seen the toll it takes on my friend and it is so hard. I'm sorry, I have no advice to offer other than booking an apt. With her doctor without her there. The doctor should be willing to listen to family members who are with her everyday and do the proper testing/referrals to get the family the support they need. I live in Canada and I know of others who have done this so I hope it is an option for you, good luck, all the best!
  • Nillalis
    Nillalis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    O yes one more thing. Search the net about coconut oil and dementia Alzheimer's. Some ppl have improved huge from 2 the per day of it. A Alzheimer's man that took it improved so much doctors was amazed.
  • screwmenopause
    Options
    Apologies for this long, rambling post, but I needed to get this out - not waiting for replies necessarily, just getting it off my chest as a sort of electronic journaling. Although, if anyone has been through this or something similar, and has some ideas... that would be great.

No worries.... support on MFP comes in many different forms :heart: I cared for my dad for a couple years before he past away at 90 years old this past September. It's never easy, no matter how much you love your folks.
    My thoughts...you mentioned perhaps semi-assisted living. That mat be a good option for both your parents. Here in MI there are semi-assisted living residents where "couples" can live. Your Mom would get the assistance she needs, and at the same time be able to interact with people her age. The same goes for your Dad...it would be a place where your Mom is receiving care, but your Dad can interact/make friends with other residence. Just a thought. Sometimes older parents balk at going to "an old folks home"...but many times, once they see what it has to offer they end up loving it. At least that was the case with a couple older folks in knew of.
    :heart: Jill
  • deetee6718
    Options
    Enjoying another gorgeous morning on the deck! Yesterday I drank some Aloe Vera juice that my son had bought and it was delicious but wasn't prepared for the side effects and spent a good hour in the bathroom!! Expected to be down at least 10 lbs this morning LOL!! Anyway, lesson learned about moderation. It was so refreshing on a hot day I had 2 glasses. Feel good today and this morning I tried on several of my dresses for an upcoming wedding. I am about 15 lbs. heavier than the last time I wore them and was pleasantly surprised to see they fit and I don't think I look to bad. I guess the gym workouts really have paid off so that in itself is motivating. Going to have a visit with a friend today and get a good, long walk in at some point. Enjoy your day everyone!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Nillalis, deetee, and screwmenopause. Some good ideas. My Dad is fine with the senior residence idea - actually he was the one who suggested it, mum will be a different story I'm afraid.
  • josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    So having seen and responded to the original thread I have only just joined the group, hope it isn't too late to come on board?

I've been on MFP before and lost weight but then stuff happened, and/or I got complacent and here I am again. I am peri-menopausal and last year the dr put me on steroids to try and sort out some blood work which may or may not have been caused by that. Sadly it didn't work, and I ended up a stone and a half heavier than the stone and a half that I wanted to lose in the first place. So here I am - again.

I am now clear of the steroids for over a month and can now go back to the gym but have decided to start out small by doing long 'fast enough pace to get me out of breath' walks with my dog - the scruffy little muppet on my ticker below - and so far along with counting and recording accurately and faithfully it seems to be working. My issue is to keep on going and not become complacent or...well let's not go there. I don't want that to happen.

Major excitement of the day was having to tighten my bra fastening this morning. A clean one straight out of the laundry - not ashamed to say there was a little victory dance around the bathroom! Right, I'm off to explore the rest of the thread.
  • lisele03
    lisele03 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Nillalis, deetee, and screwmenopause. Some good ideas. My Dad is fine with the senior residence idea - actually he was the one who suggested it, mum will be a different story I'm afraid.

I agree with everyone as well, but just 2 more hints: I recommend you start to shop around at assisted living communities where your folks can both live together – now – whether they are ready or not. This is what my sisters and I did for my folks. When you find a good place it is clear – then put your name on the waiting list now (even if it means putting down a deposit) Most good places don’t have available apartments when you may need it and there is generally a waiting list. Ultimately, you’ll be at the top of the list for next available apartments. Second, all change will be hard for your mother (like my Dad) but finding a good place that you like, and your Dad likes, will greatly reduce the stress and anxiety on you and your Dad. I know you’re worried – I’m sure your Dad is worried sick….. don’t wait – just taking action will help!
  • sab1157
    sab1157 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed a beautiful Saturday, and hope you all have done the same. No logging today. Spent the day with my four grandkids at a local State Park. Even though no "official" exercise, managed to put over 14,000 steps on the pedometer. I am a tired Mimi. :-)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Thanks again all for your helpful advice re: parents & assisted living. Today I ate like I haven't eaten in a long time - emotionally. NOT GOOD! 'Dinner' was 200 grams of full fat Dutch Gouda along with 5 servings (the whole bag) of Quaker Crispy Minis Salt & Vinegar Rice Chips. Oh, and the token vegetable - 3/4 c of sliced cucumber. Tomorrow will be re-set day at low carb levels (for me under 100) and obviously, saner food choices. If I catch it now, not much will happen except for weight up a bit from sodium which should drop fairly quickly.
  • Nillalis
    Options
    canadjinehi I do the same as you do. if i feel I'm craving to much or if i eat more than i want of mainly sweets thing then i do a 2-3 days reset and try to eat about 20-30 grams of carbs. Afetr that I'm usually back on track and can go back to my 100 g-day.

had a awful night when it comes to sleep and not until 2 AM i realised why i couldn't fall asleep. yesterday on my way to my daughters show i had a large cup of coffee and that was around 17.30 and i usually don't drink regular coffee after 14.00.
    big mistake, think i got about 3 hours of sleep and morning person as i am i woke at 7 and felt its morning and yes felt rested. But i know from experience that i will be half dead this afternoon and thats when we are busy moving grrrr at old age memory :ohwell:
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    So having seen and responded to the original thread I have only just joined the group, hope it isn't too late to come on board?

I've been on MFP before and lost weight but then stuff happened, and/or I got complacent and here I am again. I am peri-menopausal and last year the dr put me on steroids to try and sort out some blood work which may or may not have been caused by that. Sadly it didn't work, and I ended up a stone and a half heavier than the stone and a half that I wanted to lose in the first place. So here I am - again.

I am now clear of the steroids for over a month and can now go back to the gym but have decided to start out small by doing long 'fast enough pace to get me out of breath' walks with my dog - the scruffy little muppet on my ticker below - and so far along with counting and recording accurately and faithfully it seems to be working. My issue is to keep on going and not become complacent or...well let's not go there. I don't want that to happen.

Major excitement of the day was having to tighten my bra fastening this morning. A clean one straight out of the laundry - not ashamed to say there was a little victory dance around the bathroom! Right, I'm off to explore the rest of the thread.

Welcome! It's never too late! We all just beginning this adventure!
  • josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thank you ^^ I'm already learning lots.
  • deetee6718
    Options
    I hate the scale! Weighed myself this morning and says I'm up 3 lbs since yesterday WTH!!!!! Whatever, I know I am retaining as I had some high sodium items yesterday so will up the water and exercise today and not let it effect my mood! Live & learn!
  • Ari112233
    Ari112233 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I have been on mfp for a while. Age 54 and post meno with HRT. Last year I really tried the hardest of my life to get rid of this gross mid section fat. I got a trainer once a week, I lifted (not heavy) or did cardio (step and zumba) at least 6 days a week and had a 1200 cal a day target. I got in amazing cardio shape but my trainer wouldn't help me get truly strong so I eventually left him and started New Rules of Lifting for Women. Over twelve long months I lost 13 pounds. It was so slow....but I could finally fit in size 8 again. I was so frustrated at losing about 1 lb a month and sometimes none. I did lose a good chunk of the belly and back fat but definitely had a ways to go. I am 5'6" and started at 155 and got to 142. Right about then I was considering that maybe I needed to up my calories and lift heavy and just got started, then my mom died unexpectedly and fast from lung cancer( $&@$ cigarettes!)

Here I am one year later back at 153 and starting again. This time I am trying heavy lifting 3x weekly with zumba 2 or 3x weekly (mostly because it is So FUN). Trying for 1450 cals daily and 1600 on lifting days. I have been at it for about 5 weeks and lost one pound and a few inches so far but I am not expecting any real results for another 6-8 weeks. I am just trying to get to 140 and I don't want to wait a whole year -wah. I remember the good old days of living off ramen and popcorn and lean cuisine and weighing 120. I was skinny weak then but it was sure easier to lose weight back in the 20s!

Good luck everyone and thanks for making this group.
  • lilyrosieposie3
    lilyrosieposie3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Deetee please hide your scales. You are only supposed to weigh yourself once a week. Our weight fluctuates throughout the day, and you might be retaining water. The best thing to do is weigh yourself at the same time once a week, and you will get a more accurate result. I talk from experience. I used to be a scale hopper, but I have since thrown my scales away!!!

Let me tell you a bit about myself. I completed the meno at 50. Had awful mood swings, that was my only symptom. In a way I was lucky, no night sweats or hot flushes. I think I drove my family mad. I am so pleased to be in the next stage of my life, and I have calmed down a lot.

Love reading the posts on this forum.
  • jollyquilter
    jollyquilter Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have not been eating really healthy but I have been staying under calories. I have increased exercise and still seeing no results on the scales for amost 2 months. Clothes are still fitting like before. Any thoughts on crank starting my metabolism?

As for today, so far I have done 35 minutes of Slim in 6. And walked/hiked 5 miles with my dogs. More exercise to come throughout the day.
  • Nillalis
    Options
    If you exercise like 2-4 hours a day and eating well try to give the body a rest eat at target but do no exercise for 2-4 days. At least thats what i would try.

It could also help to change your macros. Are you eating enoug protein and fat or are you eating lots of carbs.
  • Karren188
    Karren188 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    @joesparkle ... LOVE IT!! Those victories are sweet aren't they!!