Leslie Sansone June 2014 Walk Challenge

Options
texasgardnr
texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
WELCOME all walkers to our June 2014 challenge! It is a new month and time once again for another new challenge! Not only is it the beginning of Summer, but also there will be more opportunities for outdoor activities like swimming and camping, and of course our regular outdoor walks before the weather heats up too much.

Having Leslie's DVDs to pop into the player will help us become stronger and healthier as we continue to walk for our health and fitness goals during 2014.

This group is open to any and all walkers. The majority of us use Leslie Sansone Walk At Home workouts, but those great walks outside, or on the treadmill, as well as other walking DVDs count also. However you get your walk on, please join us!

We are a positive, supportive group, and I promise that this challenge will motivate, challenge, as well as inspire you!

Set your goal for how many miles you want to walk, indoors or out, this month. Post your results daily, weekly, however you like.

If you happened to find this group during the month it doesn't matter which day of the month that you join in. Just set your goals to reflect what you want to walk for the remaining days. You are ALWAYS welcome! Just walk right in :smile: !

It is fun to read which DVD, whether Leslie or another walking instructor, that you used. Or whatever form your walk took, whether outdoors or on the treadmill, or anything in between. We all could use some new inspiration sometimes, and inquiring minds just want to know sometimes :wink: .

If you are doing additional exercise besides the walks feel free to mention them if you want to. It is always inspiring to get new ideas, and it also helps us support one another in our pursuit of health, weight loss, and becoming stronger. So please share those additional workouts if you would like to.

So tie up those shoes and get some water, and let's start walking the June 2014 challenge together as we continue to walk our way toward our fitness goals we made for 2014.

Walk Strong y'all,

texasgardnr :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I just joined the group today! I have a few Leslie Sansone DVDs that I enjoy, and I just ordered some more. I like the Three Mile Weight Loss Walk (with the famous second mile by Mary Kay that so many seem to love!). I can't wait to receive and try the new ones I ordered, which are Walk it Off in 30 Days, Belly Blasting walk, and Five Really Big Miles.

I think I will set my June goal for 40 miles. I won't be walking every day, rather mixing my walks with other DVDs. Looking forward to walking off the pounds with you!

Dawn
  • bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed myself with the May challenge. I am in for June. May my goal was 100 miles, I did 176.5. June I will set my goal for 125.

Happy walking everyone!!!
  • gizzyrizzy
    gizzyrizzy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I've been walking with Leslie for a while but am new to this group. I will set a goal of 50 miles for this month.

Looking forward to walking with all of you! :smile:
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hi. I was a part of the group but never participated. I am going to set a walking goal of 75 miles. I have never tracked miles.walked because I never thought to. I was always a runner. Had to walk after my 3rd pregnancy and slowly adding some 1/2 mile runs here and there.
    Good luck to u all. Im gonna try and put some miles in tonight when my kids go to bed.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed myself with the May challenge. I am in for June. May my goal was 100 miles, I did 176.5. June I will set my goal for 125.

Happy walking everyone!!!

Great job. Thats some walking.
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe it is June already! My gosh where is this year going so darn fast! I am leaving for Europe on the 26th to visit my new grandaughter (well my son and daughter-in-law as well I suppose :bigsmile: ) where we do lots of walking and I have to get ready for mountain hiking in July.

So, I will begin the 30 Day Shred tomorrow! Since I cannot take Jillian's attitude without a dose of Leslie's thoughtful encouragement, I use Leslie's 1 and 2 mile walks as warm ups for Jillian's workouts. Jillian's warm up may be enough for 30 somethings, but is not long enough for this 60 something woman that is for sure! :laugh: Since Jillian recommends 2 days of shred followed by a day of cardio, I will set a goal of 60 miles for June.

Six miles a week will be warming up for Jillian, which only leaves 9 more miles each week, so 60 miles should be doable while dealing with Jillian. Of course, this assumes that I do not throw something at Jillian through the TV now doesn't it! :wink: Happy Walking Everyone!
  • startergal53
    startergal53 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    LOL- I can not handle Jillian zichab- so I appreciate your plan of action to balance J attitude with L encouragement. Love it!

I did 87 of the 100 miles for May- thinking of Alex I'm going to say 110 as my goal for June. Yep 110!

This is going to be fun. Woo- happy walking folks!
  • heavenlyb14
    heavenlyb14 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm full of determination today as I know that I was lazy last month.

I am setting a target of 150 miles this month.

Happy walking everyone. :flowerforyou:
  • lidenalex
    lidenalex Posts: 283
    Options
    My goal for June will be 18 miles.

Each day I will try to walk at least 0.6 miles, since I figure that I can make that distance even on bad days. Last month, that is May, I did not miss one single day, and I even surpassed my goal. If I don't miss a single day in June I will have exercised for 60 consecutive days, and I hope that will establish exercise as a habit, which is my real goal.

May was fun, and everyone that stayed in for the whole month made amazing results :happy:. As Woody Allen said, eighty percent of the success is showing up. In the long run, showing up every day is what counts.
  • lidenalex
    Options
    Have you heard abut Sinichi Suzuki, a man I have admired for a long time. Maybe you have heard about Suzuki method for teaching children how to play violin and other instruments? It is now a world famous method used all over the planet. Here's a quote from Shinichi:

“If he or she really goes about it in earnest, anyone can cultivate ability in ten years, I believe. Even in one year, shortcomings can be changed into good points. Continuing for ten years, we can become outstanding indeed…There is no limit to our shortcomings. We should spare no time or effort in changing our weaknesses to merits. To do so can be pleasant and interesting. We can become like the horse that starts last and yet outruns the field, reaching the wire first; it is the same fun.”

This applies to any activity be it playing violin or getting in shape and getting a healthy body.

If you are interested Shinichi has written a beautiful book called "Nurtured by Love".
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Good morning walkers. My goal for June is 100 miles. It will be a combination of WAH with Leslie and my morning walks outdoors. I have only been walking since March and I am addicted. I wake every day and I can not wait to lace up my shoes and get my walk on. Enjoy and be strong.....walk, walk,walk.
  • bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    got in my 5 mile advanced walk with Leslie this morning.

Working on the deck today but hoping to get to the park with the dogs as well later. I find if I do my workout first thing in the morning before eating I feel refreshed and ready for the day. I have more energy and that first sip of tea after my shower and getting dressed is so enjoyable.

Happy walking everyone!
  • heavenlyb14
    heavenlyb14 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Have you heard abut Sinichi Suzuki, a man I have admired for a long time. Maybe you have heard about Suzuki method for teaching children how to play violin and other instruments? It is now a world famous method used all over the planet. Here's a quote from Shinichi:

“If he or she really goes about it in earnest, anyone can cultivate ability in ten years, I believe. Even in one year, shortcomings can be changed into good points. Continuing for ten years, we can become outstanding indeed…There is no limit to our shortcomings. We should spare no time or effort in changing our weaknesses to merits. To do so can be pleasant and interesting. We can become like the horse that starts last and yet outruns the field, reaching the wire first; it is the same fun.”

This applies to any activity be it playing violin or getting in shape and getting a healthy body.

If you are interested Shinichi has written a beautiful book called "Nurtured by Love".

I agree wholeheartedly, I keep telling my children that they can achieve anything with application. Thank you for this Alex, it has joined my long list of 'books I need to read'. :flowerforyou:
  • 19amm82
    19amm82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is my first month participating in the Leslie Sansone challenge. Last week, I enjoyed my first 1 mile walk. I found that she is very encouraging but not too happy-perky like Denise Austen or snotty like Jillian Michaels.

My goal for June is 15 miles. I am coupling this with workouts on my Wii Fit board and Wii Sports games so I'm working out six days per week. I would love to bump myself to the 2 mile walks, but I'm going to stay with 1 mile for right now and see what happens in a couple of weeks. I don't wanna burn out too quickly and get frustrated!

Happy Walking!
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Got my first walk of the month! :) - Miles 1 and 3 of "3 Mega Miles"
    6/1 - 2 miles
    38 more to 40 mile June goal

Happy walking, everyone!
  • lidenalex
    Options
    Walked 7 miles today.

In May I told you about the idea of acting as if. I mentioned Dorothea Brande and her insight. Many more people have had this insight. Frank Bettger is one of them. Listen to his story from the book "How I Raised Myself From Failure to Success".

Excerpt: Shortly after I started out as a professional baseball player, I got one of the biggest shocks of my life. That was back in 1907. I was playing for Johnstown, Pennsylvania, in the TriState League. I was young and ambitious— wanted to get to the top— and what happened? I was fired! My whole life might have been different if I hadn’t gone to the manager and asked him why he fired me. In fact, I wouldn’t have the rare privilege of writing this book if I hadn’t asked him that question.

The manager said he fired me because I was lazy! Well, that was the last thing I expected him to say. “You drag yourself around the field like a veteran who has been playing ball for twenty years,” he told me. “Why do you act that way if you’re not lazy?” “Well, Bert,” I said, “I’m so nervous, so scared, that I want to hide my fear from the crowd, and especially from the other players on the team. Besides, I hope that by taking it easy, I’ll get rid of my nervousness.”

“Frank,” he said, “it will never work. That’s the thing that is holding you down. Whatever you do after you leave here, for heaven’s sake, wake yourself up, and put some life and enthusiasm into your work!”

I had been making $ 175 a month at Johnstown. After being fired there, I went down to Chester, Pennsylvania, in the Atlantic League, where they paid me only $ 25 a month. Well, I couldn’t feel very enthusiastic on that kind of money, but I began to act enthusiastic. After I was there three days, an old ballplayer, Danny Meehan, came to me and said: “Frank, what in the world are you doing down here in a rank bush league like this?” “Well, Danny,” I replied, “if I knew how to get a better job, I’d go anywhere.”

A week later, Danny induced New Haven, Connecticut, to give me a trial. My first day in New Haven will always stand out in my memory as a great event in my life. No one knew me in that league, so I made a resolution that nobody would ever accuse me of being lazy. I made up my mind to establish the reputation of being the most enthusiastic ball player they’d ever seen in the New England League. I thought if I could establish such a reputation, then I’d have to live up to it. From the minute I appeared on the field, I acted like a man electrified. I acted as though I were alive with a million batteries.

I threw the ball around the diamond so fast and so hard that it almost knocked our infielders’ hands apart. Once, apparently trapped, I slid into third base with so much energy and force that the third baseman fumbled the ball and I was able to score an important run. Yes, it was all a show, an act I was putting on. The thermometer that day was nearly 100 °. I wouldn’t have been surprised if I had dropped over with a sunstroke, the way I ran around the field. Did it work? It worked like magic. Three things happened:

1. My enthusiasm almost entirely overcame my fear. In fact, my nervousness began to work for me, and I played far better than I ever thought I was capable of playing. (If you are nervous, be thankful. Don’t hold it back. Turn it on. Let your nerves work for you.)
    2. My enthusiasm affected the other players on the team, and they too became enthusiastic.
    3. Instead of dropping with the heat, I felt better during the game and after it was over than I had ever felt before.

My biggest thrill came the following morning when I read in the New Haven newspaper: “This new player, Bettger, has a barrel of enthusiasm. He inspired our boys. They not only won the game, but looked better than at any time this season.” The newspapers began calling me “Pep” Bettger— the life of the team. I mailed the newspaper clippings to Bert Conn, manager of Johnstown.

Can you imagine the expression on his face as he read about “Pep” Bettger, the dub he’d “tied a can to” three weeks before for being lazy? Within ten days, enthusiasm took me from $ 25 a month to $ 185 a month it increased my income by 700 percent. Let me repeat— nothing but the determination to act enthusiastic increased my income 700 percent.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Goal for June: 175 miles
    To date: 3 miles
    Left: 172 miles

This month I'm doing a combo of these throughout the month, got a new Leslie DVD!:

Leslie Sansone 5 Mile Fat Burner Walk
    Leslie Sansone 3 Mile Walk Away Your Waistline (my new one)
    Leslie Sansone 3 Mile Radio Remixes Walk to the Hits
    A mile walk to the library (1/2 mile each way)
    1-3 miles on the Treadmill at Gym
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    June Goal: 60 Miles + 30DS
    June 1-Exercise TV-Start Walking at Home-1 Mile + Level 1 30DS=1 mile
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    June 1... I took it easy today and did the Silver Walk (2 miles) with Leslie.

If you would allow me I would like to share what happened on my 5.5 mile power walk at the park yesterday. My husband decided at the last minute that he wanted to join me. UGH! This is my thing and I was not looking forward to him joining me. I believe his comment was "Hey, wait for me I feel like taking a stroll too." He was being cocky and I am sure he thought he was funny. I told him that I was going to do my thing and if he wanted to keep up then feel free. He hung with me pretty well the first 3 miles and then my stride kicked in and I left him in the dust. LOL As I came around the path on mile 5 he says "please stop. I want to go home now." I told him that I needed to a 1/2 a mile to bring my heart rate down and to get my legs to slow down. His patience wearing thin and I was felt rushed and frustrated. On the ride home he says his foot hurt and that he did not have fun. I told him that he was free to join me anytime and he looked at me and said "hell no...I'll pass." I enjoyed a great sigh of relief that my walks are again my own. LOL
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,585 Member
    Options
    Not sure how many miles I'm going to walk this month, have some commitments that might get in the way. I will walk as many as I can :smile:

June 1, 5 miles Walk Your Belly Flat which is 3 miles & miles 2 and 3 of the 5 Day Slim Down.
    Did a stretchy band work out with a Stretch Max by Cathe Freidrich.

Let's do this!!!!