Leslie Sansone June 2014 Walk Challenge

Options

Replies

• lidenalex
    lidenalex Posts: 283
    Options
    So far I've told you two stories of the power of "ACT AS IF". Brande's story and Bettger's story. Here is a third story from Steven Chandlers book "The Story of You".

Excerpt: As I talked to my friend Marianne I found out that she was worrying about a big problem of her own. She was a lawyer who had a major case to work on, and she couldn't find the "will" to tackle all the research and early communication that had to be done. Her story wouldn't let her do it. Her story was that she was a procrastinator. Her story said she wasn't a real, grown-up, dependable lawyer at all, but actually a bit of a fake. That was her internal story about herself that she lived with from day to day. I was Marianne's "coach," and I was very similar to Charlie Lau in that I had learned learned a new stance for myself based on my own previous inability to hit. In the game of life, I had been, for years, hitting about .180. But my new batting stance gave me some hitting leverage.

"That procrastinator story of yours isn't true," I said to Marianne.

"Oh, it's true," she said. "It's who I am."

"It's a story."

"Well, I say it's my real identity."

"Do you want to solve your current problem?"

"Yes, that's why we're working together. Do you know how to solve it'?"

"Yes, I know how you can solve it."

"How'?"

"Overwhelm it."

"What'?"

"Overwhelm it."

"What exactly do you mean by that?"

"Take massive action from a wild, high-energy state that dwarfs the problem and overwhelms it. Be inappropriate to the problem."

"You want me to be inappropriate?"

"I do. Do not take the appropriate amount of action. Take action that is absurdly disproportionate to the problem. Embarrass the problem. Knock it out of the universe. Smash it, slaughter it, and atomize it with crushing action. Go crazy on it and beat it to a pulp. That's my advice."

Marianne started laughing. But she also started to get interested.

"I could do that," she said hopefully.

"Of course you could," I said.

"It wouldn't be me, though."

"There you go again."

"What'? What am I doing?" she asked.

"You are confusing yourself with your story. You are not your story. Your story is madeup."

"Who am I?"

"In this case'? You will be overwhelming. That will be who you are."

"I could do this, couldn't I? Okay, I can do this."

And indeed she did. Marianne cleared the decks. She organized her office for pure action. She came to work early and, instead of trying to figure out how much energy she had to give to this project... instead of trying to figure out how much energy she had to give to this project... instead of trying to be appropriate... matching her energy appropriately and exactly to the task at hand, she overwhelmed it. She went crazy on it. Nonstop. Hours and hours of manic overkill. She hated the problem and was using pure energy to demolish it.

She didn't leave it at that, either. She also enlisted others. She did marathon phone calling to get other people's energies involved. She asked for help and got it. She laughed and laughed as she took the problem on. The problem didn't tried to speak up. It said, "But, but, but, but...," and she just roared a loud "SHUT UP and TAKE THIS!" and then gave her gave her problem 100 more whacks.

When I met with Marianne a few weeks later I asked her how the legal hearing went and she said, "I won. Big time. Everyone involved was stunned. The other party virtually gave up.

"Perfect. Now what about the external story?"

"I'm the toughest-minded and best-prepared attorney in town."

"There you go."

"But is that true?"

"You tell me!"
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    "It's a beautiful day to take a walk!" Good morning friends.
    4.5 miles outside
    1 Fast Mile DVD with Leslie
    Today's total 5.5 miles
  • bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    not feeling well yesterday, so only did a 2.5 mile walk outside

5 advanced miles with Leslie today

15 miles with Leslie to date.

2.5 miles outside to date

17.5 miles to date total

goal 125 miles

Happy walking!
  • bandit5125
    Options
    Hi, I just joined this group because I'm hoping it will give me more motivation to lose the weight I need by my wedding on September 6. I ordered my dress this morning and I purposely ordered it a couple of sizes smaller than I am now. Hopefully it's not a huge mistake! Soooo, my goal for June will be 120 miles. Anybody have any tips to help me (not including any fad diets)?

congrats on your upcoming wedding! my daughter is getting married sept 14.

fad diets don't work. diets don't work. Its a lifestyle change. Get a food scale and weigh everything, depending on how much you want to lose you need a calorie deficit so figure out how many calories you need. I want to lose 2 lbs. a week so I do between 1200 -1400 calories a day depending on my exercise level.

don't deprive yourself of any foods, if you want a brownie, then fit it in your calories or do some extra exercises for it. Don't depend on mfp to tell you how many calories you have burned, it tends to over estimate so if you eat back your calories only eat back half. I tend not to eat them back because I have a lot of weight I want to lose. Stay focused and just keep walking and moving. good luck!
  • startergal53
    startergal53 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Great advice- I'm with you Bandit5125- it's a lifestyle change also I no longer record my exercise as I do my food on mfp.
    I just write down in the exercise notes what I have done to keep a log of it.

For too long I was overeating thinking I had lots of calories to play with. Yes, I knew I was eating more but thought I "could" (so I did) and still lose the weight. For me it just made it simpler to see the actual calories I eat each day and that is when I started to actually lose the weight. Just keeping it simple helped me. I keep my calories at or around 1400 and am satisfied.

The wedding season is upon us all- congratulations on the upcoming nuptials and goal of losing weight beforehand. Lots to look forward to.

Glad you are feeling better bandit5125.

Welcome to all the new walkers! What fun. Be sure to write in it makes it the place to be and when I see what everyone else is doing I want to get on board.

This morning wanted to get some outside walking in before the rain comes. Leslie or Debbie later but this morning it was me and the birds for 3.5 miles.

To date total: 12 miles

Oh and thanks lidenalex you had me laughing I plan to be totally "inappropriate" all day! :laugh:

"Take massive action from a wild, high-energy state that dwarfs the problem and overwhelms it. Be inappropriate to the problem."
  • christchick7
    christchick7 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Hi Everybody,

Goal: 50 miles

June 2: PT and OT(see my news feed for details)

June 3: PT and OT(see my news feed for details); LS Fast & Firm 4 Really Big Miles

Nu Step: 2 miles(1 a day)

Total: 6 miles
  • lidenalex
    Options
    Today: 6 miles
    Total to date: 26 miles

34 days walking, in a row, but still doesn't feel like a habit. The resistance is very present, especially before I go my first mile.
  • Char_kan
    Char_kan Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi all! My goal for this month is to walk 35 miles, if I see that I can walk more I'll do it. I'm really excited with this month! I've completed the first 2 miles yesterday and as soon as I finish posting here I plan to do 2 more miles today!

Happy walking everyone! :bigsmile:
  • melly0907
    melly0907 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    As of today I have 7/36 miles completed.

June 1st =1 mile
    June 2nd = 2 miles
    June 3rd = 2 miles
    June 4th= 2 miles
  • heavenlyb14
    heavenlyb14 Posts: 303 Member
    Options

I love this Alex, thank you.

1st June 4 miles
    2nd June 4.5 miles
    3rd June 4 miles
    4th June 4 miles

It has been raining all day :frown: this makes me worried about what is going to happen to the very short English strawberry season, I must find a way to fit as many as possible into my daily macros :happy: .

I completed Leslie's Walk Slim 4 fast miles today for the first time, wow what a workout, I enjoyed it so much.

Happy walking to you all, especially our new friends.
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

6/4 - 2 miles (with Leslie's Walk it Off in 30 Days - new to me - I loved it! I also couldn't help myself but to also do the second part which is 30 minutes of strength training - very good.)

Total - 8/40 - 32 to go
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    Not sure how many miles I'm going to walk this month, have some commitments that might get in the way. I will walk as many as I can!

June 1, 5 miles Walk Your Belly Flat which is 3 miles & miles 2 and 3 of the 5 Day Slim Down.
    Did a stretchy band work out with a Stretch Max by Cathe Freidrich.
    June2, 4 Miles -- 4 Mile Super Challenge
    June 3, 2 Miles -- Interval walk with Debbie Rocker
    June 4, 3 Miles-- 3 Mile Power Walk
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    June Goal: 60 Miles + 30DS
    June 1-Exercise TV-Start Walking at Home-1 Mile + Level 1 30DS=1 mile
    June 3-Burn 30-+ Level 1 30DS=1 mile
    June 4-WAP- Walk Slim-4 Fast Miles=4 miles=6 total
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Need to get motivated to exercise each morning. Trying to fix my sleep pattern so I can get up earlier and do a my 3 mile Leslie tape since its getting too hot(106 to 110 this week) for walking outside. I'll try to get 3 or more days of swimming with this plan too.

My total miles I'll be working towards is 50 miles this month. I've been in the group a long while but kinda forgot about groups since so many I joined weren't that active anyway.
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe it is June already! My gosh where is this year going so darn fast! I am leaving for Europe on the 26th to visit my new grandaughter (well my son and daughter-in-law as well I suppose :bigsmile: ) where we do lots of walking and I have to get ready for mountain hiking in July.

So, I will begin the 30 Day Shred tomorrow! Since I cannot take Jillian's attitude without a dose of Leslie's thoughtful encouragement, I use Leslie's 1 and 2 mile walks as warm ups for Jillian's workouts. Jillian's warm up may be enough for 30 somethings, but is not long enough for this 60 something woman that is for sure! :laugh: Since Jillian recommends 2 days of shred followed by a day of cardio, I will set a goal of 60 miles for June.

Six miles a week will be warming up for Jillian, which only leaves 9 more miles each week, so 60 miles should be doable while dealing with Jillian. Of course, this assumes that I do not throw something at Jillian through the TV now doesn't it! :wink: Happy Walking Everyone!

zichab, congratulations on the birth of your granddaughter :heart: . How sweet is that! I have used LS walks as a warm up for the same reason when I have attempted to do a bit of Jillian's Shredding. (I'm in my 60s also). You will be fit as a fiddle when time for your trip comes up at the end of June!! Happy to see you back again!!

Thank you Texasgardnr :smile: She was born on April 25 in The Hague and I have not been able to get there to see her yet, and I am getting impatient for this semester to be OVER! She is already smiling at her parents and is absolutely adorable. We have two sons so having a little girl is a new and wonderful experience for us. Babies R Us and the US Postal Service Love us!!! :laugh: I am counting the days! :wink:
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Outside 4.5 miles

Leslie Sansone DVD Women's Walk 2 miles.

Total to date 21 miles.
  • bandit5125
    Options
    5 advanced miles with Leslie today

20 miles with Leslie to date.

2.5 miles outside to date

22.5 miles to date total

goal 125 miles

Happy walking!

going camping this weekend so I may not be able to log back in until Sunday but I will be keeping track of my walking. I won't be doing the Leslie dvds but will get in a lot of outside walking with the dogs. Have a great weekend!
  • Healthymom_5
    Options
    2 miles with Leslie today - tried my new Belly Blasting walk and loved it! (Didn't do the floor work segment)

10/40 done - 30 to go

Almost didn't walk to day as I am doing lots of cleaning and thought maybe I should reserve my energy. SO glad I chose to walk! Now, on to the decluttering :)!

Have a great day!
  • lidenalex
    Options
    today: 10 miles
    total to date: 36 miles

I had to struggle against resistance in the morning, but decided that I could walk 0.6 miles. When I reached the 0.3 miles, instead of turning back I decided to continue and walked 2 miles. In the afternoon I went out for a walk and did 4 miles. I was quite pleased with a total 6 miles. But in the evening I challenged myself to go additional 1 mile. It has been raining but the rain had stopped and it was a nice evening. After walking for a mile I had a thought. What if I continued and made 3 more miles, that would total it up to 10 miles. I had never walked so long in my life. Well, let it rip, I said to myself and continued. I'm home now and feeling great.
  • Healthymom_5
    Options
    Wow, Alex, that is amazing! Great work!