JULY 2014 - Move Your @ss Challenge

Options

Replies

• phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Back on the bike. Had my clip in pedals, cleats and bike checked the other day. I just can't get rid of the apprehension of when I go to stop I am going to crash because I can't unclip. Even though I am able to ride just fine, and unclip and stop, I just keep getting this feeling I am going to fall again. Does this ever go away? Got miles to report today, just not what I was hoping for.

Anaconda, not sure what kind of clipless pedals you have, but some pedals have an adjustable tension, so that you can clip out easier. I have spd and when i was learning, I had them on the easiest tension, which meant they came out pretty easy. The apprehension is there in the beginning, but once you get used to them you won't notice them at all, and the unclipping will become natural.
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Dave, I didn't realize you replied to Anaconda...great advice! :happy:

7/19 15.03 mtb easy miles on lead legs...mtd 267.41

Let's keep up the great miles @ss movers! :drinker:
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,342 Member
    Options
    Dave, I didn't realize you replied to Anaconda...great advice! :happy:

7/19 15.03 mtb easy miles on lead legs...mtd 267.41

Let's keep up the great miles @ss movers! :drinker:
    PHYTOGURL - No worries at all! I love that there are so many people willing to help out and give support to others. It makes me VERY happy to see. Just one of the great things about this group. Lots of genuinely caring people. :heart:

Dave
  • darkrider42
    Options
    =============================
    SPREADSHEET UPDATED TO HERE

See (but not edit) the
    spreadsheet here:

http://tinyurl.com/myac201402
    =============================
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    66 miles
  • jennwhite34
    jennwhite34 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    7/19 walked 1.81 miles
    exercise bike 5.2 miles

exercise.png
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    Rode my bicycle to the gym instead of driving (10.4 miles round trip), lifted for almost an hour, and walked a fast mile on the treadmill before I left. MTD 83.5

Dave
    MFm4m5.png

Nice! :-)
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Back on the bike. Had my clip in pedals, cleats and bike checked the other day. I just can't get rid of the apprehension of when I go to stop I am going to crash because I can't unclip. Even though I am able to ride just fine, and unclip and stop, I just keep getting this feeling I am going to fall again. Does this ever go away? Got miles to report today, just not what I was hoping for.

Yes, yes it does. It takes awhile before you quit thinking about it but when you do the apprehension will go away. Well, it will until you one day come up to a stop sign and think about it. Then you're stuck for the next 30 miles thinking about it. :-) I have clips on all my bikes except my fat tire bike. I always worry about it at the start of the season and then it goes away about 200 miles in to the season. :wink: :wink:
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Jogged for 50 minutes (Snails pace LOL), Walked on an incline for 20 minutes, Took two more "extra" walks - 22,551+ steps
    Total: 99.2 Miles to date - Hope I make Goal :sad:

exercise.png

[/quote]
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,463 Member
    Options
    I got on the bike today. It is very hot, but I should be used to it by now. PS: Thanks to everyone for great advice and support about my misfortunes with my clip in pedals. To Dave, they are backed out as far as they will go tension wise. I have found during the last week, I am un clipping a foot way earlier than I used to. but for the first time today I felt better about riding my bike and the falling thing. I have found that if I concentrate on my cadence (which sucked before), the rest will come. I am about to do my 20 mile route, I feel I am ready this route has a lot of stops in it. I love this group, no one judges you, and everyone is very supportive, thanks!

07/15 - 1.5 miles walking
    07/16 - 7.0 miles biking
    07/17 - 14.0 miles biking
    01/18 - 10.0 miles biking
    07/19 - 12.0 miles biking

Total: 196.0 miles

exercise.png
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    07/19 - 6.5mile hike w/ Cora

exercise.png
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I got on the bike today. It is very hot, but I should be used to it by now. PS: Thanks to everyone for great advice and support about my misfortunes with my clip in pedals. To Dave, they are backed out as far as they will go tension wise. I have found during the last week, I am un clipping a foot way earlier than I used to. but for the first time today I felt better about riding my bike and the falling thing. I have found that if I concentrate on my cadence (which sucked before), the rest will come. I am about to do my 20 mile route, I feel I am ready this route has a lot of stops in it. I love this group, no one judges you, and everyone is very supportive, thanks!

Glad we can help. Just two cents worth of free advice. Make extra sure if you are using clipless pedals that you stretch more than you are used to. You will learn to pull up and push down when pedaling to increase efficiency and that will leave you with tighter muscles than you expected. You should be pedaling like you are scraping mud off the bottom of your shoes when you are on the bottom of your pedal stroke and not just munching the pedals on the down stroke. It won't feel natural at first but once it becomes a habit you'll find you can go further faster than you ever did before. :happy: :happy:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options

exercise.png

I forgot to add my 15 miles from this morning. That makes 518 out of 700 total. I think I put it in the ticker but not in the entry. Dave, I don't know how you tolerate math geniuses like me. :laugh: :laugh:
  • clepant
    clepant Posts: 3,410 Member
    Options
    July 19: rainy day....not a great day for miles. 7 miles

TTD: 194 miles

exercise.png
  • darkrider42
    Options
    7/19 - 3.5 run (up to 6 minute intervals now :ohwell:), MTD 87.0

Dave
    MFm4m5.png
  • Lovemyalex
    Lovemyalex Posts: 3,853 Member
    Options
    Exercise total for

Thursday 7/17, Friday 7/18, Saturday 7/19

(Exercise bike 30 miles, 30 miles, 30 miles & walk 2 miles, 1.25 miles, 3 miles)

**total 96.25 miles for 3 days

*** 559.53 miles done and 240.53 miles to go.... :happy:
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,397 Member
    Options
    19th - Running miles 5, Walking miles 3

Total MTD: 145 of 150 target

It was cooler in Las Vegas so I was able to get a walk in besides my morning run! Btw, I love mornings runs they're so peaceful!!! I signed up for my first half marathon for Oct! My goal for tomorrow is get my long run in early!

I've been reading posts and love how friendly and helpful everyone is! Dave thanks for the helpful points about posting too! Looking forward to meeting new pals on my journey during this challenge!

Jackie
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    7/19 - 3.5 run (up to 6 minute intervals now :ohwell:), MTD 87.0

Dave
    MFm4m5.png

Dave! Why are you running? You're supposed to be logging miles on that fancy bike of yours. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: It was a very nice run though and six minute intervals is nothing to sneeze at. Nice job. :drinker:
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Just updating my ticker - not adding anything :) (I did take my son to the wave pool this afternoon which was a lot of work, battling those waves and keeping him engaged, but no mileage to add).

exercise.png
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,445 Member
    Options
    It was a terrific Saturday. Went to the gym with my daughter, walked with my husband and Bean for an hour then went off by myself for another fast hour. Then shopped, cooked, read...perfect!! :flowerforyou:

10.83 miles Saturday

exercise.png

This should put me in the green for at least 10 minutes...:tongue:

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Chris
This discussion has been closed.