JULY 2014 - Move Your @ss Challenge

Options

Replies

• anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,463 Member
    Options
    I got on the bike today. It is very hot, but I should be used to it by now. PS: Thanks to everyone for great advice and support about my misfortunes with my clip in pedals. To Dave, they are backed out as far as they will go tension wise. I have found during the last week, I am un clipping a foot way earlier than I used to. but for the first time today I felt better about riding my bike and the falling thing. I have found that if I concentrate on my cadence (which sucked before), the rest will come. I am about to do my 20 mile route, I feel I am ready this route has a lot of stops in it. I love this group, no one judges you, and everyone is very supportive, thanks!

Glad we can help. Just two cents worth of free advice. Make extra sure if you are using clipless pedals that you stretch more than you are used to. You will learn to pull up and push down when pedaling to increase efficiency and that will leave you with tighter muscles than you expected. You should be pedaling like you are scraping mud off the bottom of your shoes when you are on the bottom of your pedal stroke and not just munching the pedals on the down stroke. It won't feel natural at first but once it becomes a habit you'll find you can go further faster than you ever did before. :happy: :happy:

That is the first time I have heard that. The bike shop who installed these didn't give me any suggestions as to how clip in pedals even worked. I have been doing trial and lots of error. When I get going to slow up hill I find myself pulling up the pedal, it has been helping with my uphill cadence. Thanks for the help! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,446 Member
    Options
    CPANUS - That'll get you in the green for longer than 10 minutes, Chris! :happy: I'm still clawing my way back to green...it's been an uphill battle, but I'll join you soon, I hope! :drinker:

Dave

Dave -- Thanks! I like green! And, I know I'll see you soon!! :flowerforyou:

Today was really nice...clouds and a breeze!

12.38 Sunday

exercise.png

Hope everyone has a great Monday!

Chris

Hey guys! Welcome to the Green zone! :-) Next stop, the yellow zone! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Dean -- I like yellow, too! You are killing those miles...I expect to see you up in the yellow zone in no time!! And...I hope to join you there.

Chris
  • JoeMO
    JoeMO Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    3.7 mile walk today

40.8 / 60
  • Lovemyalex
    Lovemyalex Posts: 3,853 Member
    Options
    Exercise total for

Sunday 7/20

(Exercise bike 15 mikes & walk 2.50 miles)

**total 17.50 miles for today

***577.03 miles done and 222.97 miles to go...:happy:
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    1.25 mile walk today... Sundays are generally rest days for me, but had to get to the stadium to see my team play their hearts out - so, since it's over a mile, roundtrip, from where we park to the stadium, I figure I may as well count it.

exercise.png
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    My update.

exercise.png
  • wanderan
    wanderan Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    adding 16.16 biking miles, along with 7.00 walking miles

exercise.png
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,342 Member
    Options
    After lifting for almost an hour, I added 11 miles on the stationary bike to put me back in the GREEN!!! And far enough that with my run in the morning, I ought to stay in the green another day! :smile:

Dave
    MFm4m5.png
  • darkrider42
    Options
    I got on the bike today. It is very hot, but I should be used to it by now. PS: Thanks to everyone for great advice and support about my misfortunes with my clip in pedals. To Dave, they are backed out as far as they will go tension wise. I have found during the last week, I am un clipping a foot way earlier than I used to. but for the first time today I felt better about riding my bike and the falling thing. I have found that if I concentrate on my cadence (which sucked before), the rest will come. I am about to do my 20 mile route, I feel I am ready this route has a lot of stops in it. I love this group, no one judges you, and everyone is very supportive, thanks!

Glad we can help. Just two cents worth of free advice. Make extra sure if you are using clipless pedals that you stretch more than you are used to. You will learn to pull up and push down when pedaling to increase efficiency and that will leave you with tighter muscles than you expected. You should be pedaling like you are scraping mud off the bottom of your shoes when you are on the bottom of your pedal stroke and not just munching the pedals on the down stroke. It won't feel natural at first but once it becomes a habit you'll find you can go further faster than you ever did before. :happy: :happy:

That is the first time I have heard that. The bike shop who installed these didn't give me any suggestions as to how clip in pedals even worked. I have been doing trial and lots of error. When I get going to slow up hill I find myself pulling up the pedal, it has been helping with my uphill cadence. Thanks for the help! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
    The beauty of pulling up on the pedals is that it prevents that leg from being added dead-weight on the pedal that the other foot that's pushing down has to fight (in addition to the force it already needs just to keep the bike moving forward!! :) You might get a little more sore at first until you get those muscles needed to pull up conditioned, but the net effect is that it makes pedaling faster and "harder" even easier.

Oh, and the "scrape the mud" motion Dean described (and of course the corresponding pushing your other foot straight forward) uses the muscles of your legs slightly differently and can give you a little variety and help you get more out of your legs without the fatigue of doing the same exact thing the entire ride.

Dave
  • darkrider42
    Options
    CPANUS - That'll get you in the green for longer than 10 minutes, Chris! :happy: I'm still clawing my way back to green...it's been an uphill battle, but I'll join you soon, I hope! :drinker:

Dave

12.38 Sunday

exercise.png

Chris

Hey guys! Welcome to the Green zone! :-) Next stop, the yellow zone! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Dean -- I like yellow, too! You are killing those miles...I expect to see you up in the yellow zone in no time!! And...I hope to join you there.

Chris
    At the rate Dean is going, he's going to be right on DCMAT's tail any day now!! :laugh:

Dave
  • darkrider42
    Options
    =============================
    SPREADSHEET UPDATED TO HERE

See (but not edit) the
    spreadsheet here:

http://tinyurl.com/myac201402
    =============================

Welcoming THREE more hard-chargers to the GOAL zone now.....CLEPANT, CHEVY_SMART and LAMLAM2013!!!! :drinker::drinker:

Keep up the fantastic work, everyone!!

Dave
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Stationary bike

20th: 2.09 m
    21st: 3.24 m

Total: 56.94 m
    Goal: 80

Remaining: 23.06 m

exercise.png

ETA: I'm going have to ramp up my miles to nearly 6 a day to get them all in before Saturday when I'm of on holiday - with no access to a bike.

Next month I'll do fitbit miles - I'll let you know a target by the week-end.
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,446 Member
    Options

Dave

12.38 Sunday

exercise.png

Chris

Chris
    At the rate Dean is going, he's going to be right on DCMAT's tail any day now!! :laugh:

Dave

Dave -- Welcome to the green! Now, if we can just manage to stay there! :tongue:

Chris
  • CeeCeeMee
    CeeCeeMee Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Time for me to step it up (so to speak) and play catch up.

exercise.png
  • taxmom9093
    taxmom9093 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    So much great advice going on here the last week or so. Thanks Everyone! :drinker: I love being part of this group where we all cheer each other on and stay positive. :happy: We all need a safe place to "fail". (I don't believe that any of us are really failing if we are still trying, but I can't deny that sometimes when we are struggling, we feel like failures.) :flowerforyou:

Yesterday started out really promising with a morning walk. Then my body insisted it needed more sleep, so I didn't get in more miles like I hoped. :grumble: That's OK, It was one of those times I needed to listen to what my body was saying.

Added 4.25 miles. Not bad really.

July total 129.25 miles. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Not yellow yet, but really really green. :bigsmile: (getting a bunch of miles in at the beginning of the month helped)

exercise.png

Have a Good Monday everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • tlacox1
    tlacox1 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    7/20 - 2.52
    Total - 20.31

I have to really kick it in the next few days. I'm at a conference next week for the last three days of the month so may not have the ability to walk. I'm a country girl and really don't want to be out walking around in the big city (although Austin's a pretty safe place)but maybe they'll have treadmills. Staying at the Radisson so pretty sure they will.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Yesterday started out really promising with a morning walk. Then my body insisted it needed more sleep, so I didn't get in more miles like I hoped. :grumble: That's OK, It was one of those times I needed to listen to what my body was saying.

Not yellow yet, but really really green. :bigsmile: (getting a bunch of miles in at the beginning of the month helped)

Have a Good Monday everyone! :flowerforyou:

@taxmom - it is funny the same thing happened to me. I was running on the treadmill and i just realized I did not have enough "in the tank" . I got to bed early last night and I feel great again! :smile:

I am really glad I found this group.. it is really positive and everyone helps each other out! :smile:
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    Welcoming THREE more hard-chargers to the GOAL zone now.....CLEPANT, CHEVY_SMART and LAMLAM2013!!!! :drinker::drinker:

Keep up the fantastic work, everyone!!

Dave

Dave... thanks for all the hard work you put into this! :drinker: :drinker:
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,398 Member
    Options
    21st - 5 mile run / 3 mile walk

Total MTD: 163 of 210 target

This group really kicks some booty! Outstanding job Chevy and a couple others for making your goals!!!!!!!!!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    21st - 5 mile run / 3 mile walk

Total MTD: 163 of 210 target

This group rally kicks some booty! Outstanding job Chevy and a couple others for making your goals!!!!!!!!!

@GrandmaJackie - Thanks - Love your Avatar! :smile:
This discussion has been closed.