Share Your Savory Treats

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was my Dora's birthday. I worked till 630 and planned on going home to change then go out. Plans changed and she didn't want to stop at home first. She said she wanted to go to an organic burger spot we like, but I had a feeling it was because I only had sweats and a tshirt on me and was to casual. I ended up stopping and buying jeans and a button down while working. Met her at the burger place and we walked up the block to try an Italian restaurant we'd never eaten at.

Sweet Italian sausage and roasted red pepper rizzoto Appetizer
    02YzMf7.jpg?1

Jambalaya (Lobster, sausage, chicken) over linguini.  When the waiter mentioned it on the specials I was like "Huh? Italian jambalaya?" I got it anyway and it was amazing.
    yuw8pym.jpg?1

That is such a sweet story! Way to make sure her day was special.

Um, what was for dessert?

Never mind, checked other thread...
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Here's part of my book club menu - I will put the dessert in the other thread... I totally forgot to take pictures of everything all set up and beautiful, by the time I remembered most of the platters had been ravaged already. Oh well!

Antipasti Platter
    b7c08d5f-0d64-4b13-8434-a2389b094747_zps925a81f0.jpg

Caprese Salad with tomatoes from our garden
    08084259-33b6-48ce-a31f-39dee6ca707f_zps07bf6343.jpg

Proscuitto and Fontina Chicken Cutlets
    9be076bf-b551-414d-b80d-1e8ea739c38e_zpsac98f992.jpg

Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
    4ce8a3ad-0708-4556-9f13-96e06a030f75_zps5e16a61a.jpg

Bread with Homemade Garlic Herb Butter (herbs from the garden)
    5fec7a2f-4335-4821-bdaf-5c215f18a587_zpsdc6c4771.jpg

Not pictured, lots and lots of wine!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Here's part of my book club menu - I will put the dessert in the other thread... I totally forgot to take pictures of everything all set up and beautiful, by the time I remembered most of the platters had been ravaged already. Oh well!

Antipasti Platter
    b7c08d5f-0d64-4b13-8434-a2389b094747_zps925a81f0.jpg

Caprese Salad with tomatoes from our garden
    08084259-33b6-48ce-a31f-39dee6ca707f_zps07bf6343.jpg

Proscuitto and Fontina Chicken Cutlets
    9be076bf-b551-414d-b80d-1e8ea739c38e_zpsac98f992.jpg

Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
    4ce8a3ad-0708-4556-9f13-96e06a030f75_zps5e16a61a.jpg

Bread with Homemade Garlic Herb Butter (herbs from the garden)
    5fec7a2f-4335-4821-bdaf-5c215f18a587_zpsdc6c4771.jpg

Not pictured, lots and lots of wine!
    It all looks amazing, but I'd devour the chicken cutlets. Looks so good!!
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Looks wonderful!

I got bumped from my flight - sorry I couldn't make it. And I even read the book, dang it (umm . . . what book was it again?)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    That all looks awesome Kruggeri!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    That all makes me think I need to join a book club!
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    We could start a MFP virtual book club. We could read the latest diet book du jour and then start a thread to discuss it while we eat yummy food in direct conflict what the book promotes.
  • Cortelli
    Options
    So I took a redeye last night to Cancun and then took a bus and a ferry and am now in Cozumel for a week of scuba diving all by my lonesome and for the first time in Cozumel. I gave my wife a week off from me and the kids some weeks back and she is returning the favor. I normally don't get a bunch of vacation time like I have this year - not my normal lifestyle - but I am certainly happy going with the flow.

I have a number of good restaurant recommendations, and the first one I visited (second choice - first was closed for the day) paid off in spades.

I am posting the pictures because they really do not do the food any sort of justice.

First a heaping dish of guacamole - I am going to log 6 ozs as a guestimate. Looks like most guac I've enjoyed here or there, but it was magical - light and rich at the same time; spicy but soothingly creamy. And I ate all those 6 ounces (give or take) in a shamelessly short amount of time.

20140927_160729_zps7666d206.jpg

And as an entrée (this is very late lunch / early dinner) - fish fillet in the house style. This is a fresh fillet in a creamy tomatillo sauce, with some fresh poblano shreds and green poblano / tomatillo salsa dribbled on top. More importantly, this is the least impressive entrée, visually, I've ever seen. I even refused to take a picture for MFP until I had enjoyed a few bites because it literally looked like something I'd expect to step around on the streets of San Miguel early morning after a weekend night. It was very, very good despite its presentation.

20140927_161506_zps00b30f99.jpg

If you ever travel to Cozumel, I recommend La Candela -- I snooped on other house specials and tables, and it was hard to choose. Despite the many restaurant opportunities, I will have at least one more meal here before the week is out. And I was the only gringo present and there were a fair number of local families and Mexican tourists from elsewhere (but the lack of gringos may have been due to no cruise ships in port today).

Enjoyed two Dos Equis Ambers, too, and the tab came to less than USD 20 before any tip. :love:

And while I am not a devoted dessert fan, I am led to believe that a cupcake master resides on the island. And a visit to the restaurant's / bakery's facebook page seems to confirm that there is indeed a level 43 blackbelt in cupcakery operating here. Also a really impressive "artistic" chocolatier - at least the visuals I saw today are at "ermagaarrrrd" levels. So I imagine I'll have something to share in the Sweets thread later this week as well.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    So I took a redeye last night to Cancun and then took a bus and a ferry and am now in Cozumel for a week of scuba diving all by my lonesome and for the first time in Cozumel. I gave my wife a week off from me and the kids some weeks back and she is returning the favor. I normally don't get a bunch of vacation time like I have this year - not my normal lifestyle - but I am certainly happy going with the flow.

I have a number of good restaurant recommendations, and the first one I visited (second choice - first was closed for the day) paid off in spades.

I am posting the pictures because they really do not do the food any sort of justice.

First a heaping dish of guacamole - I am going to log 6 ozs as a guestimate. Looks like most guac I've enjoyed here or there, but it was magical - light and rich at the same time; spicy but soothingly creamy. And I ate all those 6 ounces (give or take) in a shamelessly short amount of time.

20140927_160729_zps7666d206.jpg

And as an entrée (this is very late lunch / early dinner) - fish fillet in the house style. This is a fresh fillet in a creamy tomatillo sauce, with some fresh poblano shreds and green poblano / tomatillo salsa dribbled on top. More importantly, this is the least impressive entrée, visually, I've ever seen. I even refused to take a picture for MFP until I had enjoyed a few bites because it literally looked like something I'd expect to step around on the streets of San Miguel early morning after a weekend night. It was very, very good despite its presentation.

20140927_161506_zps00b30f99.jpg

If you ever travel to Cozumel, I recommend La Candela -- I snooped on other house specials and tables, and it was hard to choose. Despite the many restaurant opportunities, I will have at least one more meal here before the week is out. And I was the only gringo present and there were a fair number of local families and Mexican tourists from elsewhere (but the lack of gringos may have been due to no cruise ships in port today).

Enjoyed two Dos Equis Ambers, too, and the tab came to less than USD 20 before any tip. :love:

And while I am not a devoted dessert fan, I am led to believe that a cupcake master resides on the island. And a visit to the restaurant's / bakery's facebook page seems to confirm that there is indeed a level 43 blackbelt in cupcakery operating here. Also a really impressive "artistic" chocolatier - at least the visuals I saw today are at "ermagaarrrrd" levels. So I imagine I'll have something to share in the Sweets thread later this week as well.

Cortelli enjoy your trip, I can't fathom a solo vacation so I'm totally looking forward to living vicariously through you! Is it an all inclusive resort?
  • Cortelli
    Options
    Cortelli enjoy your trip, I can't fathom a solo vacation so I'm totally looking forward to living vicariously through you! Is it an all inclusive resort?

:flowerforyou: Thank you! First solo trip (outside of business travel) since I was single so long ago.

I tend to go in the opposite direction from all-inclusives. For this trip I booked a room at a B&B through airbnb; but there is no breakfast in low season, so I guess I could call it a "B"? Basically just a small room in one of several small detached cottages behind a main house. Just far enough outside of the heart of downtown that I don't hear and am not disturbed by the potential craziness of tequila-infused shenanigans, and just close enough that a very short walk let's me join in on those tequila-infused shenanigans. It also means that with the exception of a few snacks I'll stock in the communal fridge, I'll be eating out for every meal! Which in turn means I get to try a bunch of restaurants and meals I've found recommended by various repeat visitors and residents on another forum focused on diving (Cozumel is a very popular dive destination).

All of which is to say I may be spamming this Group forum for the next week!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    We could start a MFP virtual book club. We could read the latest diet book du jour and then start a thread to discuss it while we eat yummy food in direct conflict what the book promotes.

:laugh:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Cortelli that guacamole looks awesome. I'm convinced at least 10 of the 45 lbs of extra weight I had was due to guacamole.
  • Cortelli
    Options
    Day three of diving and it has become a rhythm - up early and walk to the dock through a sleeping town. Out for the first dive. Take a surface interval ashore featuring a big bowl of mixed ceviche, and then a second super long dive. Back to town to rinse off, and then a late lunch / early dinner where I can gorge myself. Today I went with my first non-seafood -- started with a plate of chicken nachos; finished with a fish filet Mayan style (anchiote sauce + onions, peppers, tomatoes in banana leaf and then wrapped in foil. And a few beers. Yummy.

20140930_150608_zps103e88f9.jpg

20140930_151448_zpsfd7ca74d.jpg
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Oh yum. I might have to go get Mexican food. Although there's not much that's good here in Georgia. I'm a little spoiled because Arkansas has a ton of authentic Mexican restaurants that are really cheap. By comparison the chains you get around here are just not that great.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Cortelli, that all looks delicious. Hope you're having a wonderful trip
  • WinoGelato
    Options

I second this!
  • Cortelli
    Options
    Cortelli, what great looking treats you've been sharing. Hope you're having a great time.
    I second this!

Thank you all :flowerforyou: I am having a fantastic time. Absolutely superb scuba diving and serious feasts after morning exertion.

Today I started with an Aztec soup -- a little like French onion, but with manchego instead of gruyere, and tortilla strips instead of onions. Topped with some fresh avocado (but not baked hard on top). No picture.

Followed by Chicken Mole. The restaurant claims the mole recipe is several generations old and contains more than 20 ingredients (including of course, chocolate). I don't know how to verify that, but I can verify it was pretty damn tasty. And, for a bonus, I got to watch a Champions League soccer match while I dined. And have a few beers, too.

Mole as presented:

20141001_144458_zps3ba9b3bb.jpg

And once I'd ripped into the chicken breast:

20141001_144606_zps8389990d.jpg

A siesta might be in order but meeting some new friends for a beer or tequila or two in a bit. Thanks again for your well wishes - I am having a blast!
  • Cortelli
    Options
    Today's post-dive feast - Molcajete. Chicken, shrimp, chorizo, nopal (cactus), onion, avocado, and chichirones (fried pork skins). Some guacamole on the side and more than a few Negro Modelos. Only one more day of diving :cry:

20141002_153202_zps232d3549.jpg

EDIT: Damn photo bucket is hard to use on a mobile. Fixed.